New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I get that. And I’m not trying to be too ‘pie in the sky’. But Chizik has a 5-19 HC record when he was hired, and Gus had 1 year of HC experience when he took over. The past season has been painful, but CBH has a much more accomplished resume as a program manager and player developer than those two. I’m not predicting TJF or ZC become Heisman contenders, but it is disheartening to me to hear so many people label a player so serially in their careers. CBH and Austin Davis have good resumes for the QB position, and I believe between the two of them they will strengthen our QB room a lot. 

Nope. That 75% career winning percentage? Completely erased from history. Never happened. Harsin knows absolutely nothing about coaching or running a program. It should have been perfection from the first minute on the job. Doesn’t matter what kind of roster he inherited. And us “fans” are not gonna listen to excuses and we’re gonna scream and yell until the wins start happening. And it better happen right now!

I’m sure potential recruits are encouraged by all this noise from fans about a coach they are trying to decide whether or not to play for.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

giphy.gif

God I love keyboard warriors. You’ve demonstrated the ability to produce a gif so you’ve got that going for ya. But please by all means continue your keyboard “killing” lol. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

9C61FE20-D6A8-4449-B5F2-D4C5780049D3.jpeg

BFD9F988-4784-4EED-8E68-C7472FD507E2.gif

D4F8041A-1173-478A-854E-03752E4DAD61.gif

The singularity is imminent.

go buy a loto ticket or buy a random trash stock

Edited by Didba
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

God I love keyboard warriors. You’ve demonstrated the ability to produce a gif so you’ve got that going for ya. But please by all means continue your keyboard “killing” lol. 

-says the man very much acting like a keyboard warrior

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

This girl again? 

You have demonstrated your ability to not understand the context of a gif.

IF you look at the gif it is clear the young lady is saying "I killed him" in an interrogative manner and was in response to another poster's post quoting me with some HYGs carrying a casket.  

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, woodford said:

Don't understand the downvoting. If we don't add 2-3 primo offensive lineman in the portal, then our ceiling is 5 wins. There's no way (even with this stout defense) we make a bowl if we can't run the ball. I'll eat crow (I like Auburn and want them to win, don't understand the 'pride' issue in being proven wrong if it's beneficial to me) if we win 6 games but gosh almighty things seem bleak at the moment.

So I am not following here.....

The post that you originally quoted was directly referring to ZC committing to AU then in your defense of said post, you bring up the potential inability to run the ball?

Of course we will not be very successful if we can't run the ball, but what does ZC really have to do with that? ( I know pass opens up the run) but it doesn't really matter how good our QB is or isn't if we have as piss poor of run-blocking as we had this year.

I still don't see how gaining a commitment of a guy with SEC starting experience is any kind of sign of bad direction for a program?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Time to move on, guys 

Let's focus on ZC, please

Bird what is your honest opinion of ZC? Strengths? Weaknesses? Let's hear the director of mind and moods thoughts on this kid? 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

They may genuinely believe they have a bad line. But ours is legitimately a mess... 

They may have had more talent but A&M allowed a 38% pressure rate and AU allowed a 25% pressure rate?  Seems like Aggie guys could have been more right

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I get that. And I’m not trying to be too ‘pie in the sky’. But Chizik has a 5-19 HC record when he was hired, and Gus had 1 year of HC experience when he took over. The past season has been painful, but CBH has a much more accomplished resume as a program manager and player developer than those two. I’m not predicting TJF or ZC become Heisman contenders, but it is disheartening to me to hear so many people label a player so serially in their careers. CBH and Austin Davis have good resumes for the QB position, and I believe between the two of them they will strengthen our QB room a lot. 

Things are a bit different now, though, Webb. I have often thought about how the level of play for young players has changed so drastically over the last decade.

Before 2007, no one younger than a Junior had ever won the Heisman. But since then, 5 sophomores and 2 freshman have won it. JUCO players have won it. And the first rounds of the NFL draft are usually filled with a majority of underclassmen. 

That's a seismic shift. My thought is that these kids are playing year around now. They are going to national combines. They are competing with elite talent at 7-on-7s and in high school all star games. Coaches are offering kids in 8th grade, and the prep for the NFL for those kids begins around that time.

Point to saying all that is, I think it's more uncommon for a kid to go from a mediocre or bad player to a great player now. Initial development is happening in high school, rather than in freshman and sophomore year. Kids come in now ready to play day 1.

Sure, it takes a bit of acclamation. But I think with all the camps, combines, QB coaches, etc. these days if a kid doesn't have some form of "it" when they step on campus, they likely never will.

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

Nope. That 75% career winning percentage? Completely erased from history. Never happened. Harsin knows absolutely nothing about coaching or running a program. It should have been perfection from the first minute on the job. Doesn’t matter what kind of roster he inherited. And us “fans” are not gonna listen to excuses and we’re gonna scream and yell until the wins start happening. And it better happen right now!

I’m sure potential recruits are encouraged by all this noise from fans about a coach they are trying to decide whether or not to play for.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Got that part right. Even Harsin himself says he isn't into excuses. We've got to get the ship going in the right direction next fall. 

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

They may have had more talent but A&M allowed a 38% pressure rate and AU allowed a 25% pressure rate?  Seems like Aggie guys could have been more right

Great discussion but I believe the Bo mobility factor has to account somewhere in there. It’s hard to give a definitive opinion if ZC is better than TJ. Just not enough data. TJ would throw a great pass then have several WTH moments afterwards. With more game day experience who knows how he turns out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Great discussion but I believe the Bo mobility factor has to account somewhere in there. It’s hard to give a definitive opinion if ZC is better than TJ. Just not enough data. TJ would throw a great pass then have several WTH moments afterwards. With more game day experience who knows how he turns out.

I thought about that as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

-says the man very much acting like a keyboard warrior

You aren’t even in this discussion, what are you even responding to?? Just randomly jumping in is really weird, says a lot about you. I could literally say the same thing to you there keyboard warrior. 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Couple things. This dude has a rocket, right up there if not stronger than Finley. Harsin clearly values arm strength in QB's with those two and Geriner. Also, if CW goes to UGA, we probably get BV, Beck, or even Daniels, so I'm hopeful that the QB room will be significantly upgraded 

• Like 1

I feel like people are giving A&M and Jimbo way too much credit this year. 

His offense sucked. And it wasn’t because of Calzada. His offensive line was makeshift all year, with 1-upperclassmen (junior) playing on the right side, the rest were first year starters or freshmen. They definitely matured by the end of October but A&M’s offensive line was nothing to be amazed by. 

Some fun stats for you, A&M receivers had a drop ball rate of over 13% according to SECStatsCats for Calzada which is near the bottom of the SEC. Pressure rate is at 29% near the bottom of the league (so every 42% of his drop backs had something go wrong). Jimbo for whatever reason ran an archaic old school west-coast offense this year when King got hurt in Colorado having called less then 20% of plays be either of play-action, RPOs, or have any kind of motion pre-snap. 

Calzada is a ball protector/game manager. His adjusted completion rate was 71%, his explosive plays were below 10%, his adjusted interception rate was below 2%, and his average depth on passes were less than 9 yards. He didn’t “wow” anybody this year, but I don’t think you can find a game this year where he was responsible for them losing. 

I have my opinions about him, and you can have yours, but let’s not write off 2022 because of a transfer QB you may not have a favorable opinion of, when spring ball hasn’t even come close to starting yet.

We’re a better fan base than this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

You aren’t even in this discussion, what are you even responding to?? Just randomly jumping in is really weird, says a lot about you. I could literally say the same thing to you there keyboard warrior. 

I know I was expecting you to do a "no, you" lmao

Also I am "really weird" for jumping in on a conversation on a public forum with multiple people jumping in and out of conversations for the last 8 hours? Give me a break man, that rich. If you wanted privacy maybe you should have DMed him? /s

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Taco said:

His offense sucked. And it wasn’t because of Calzada. His offensive line was makeshift all year, with 1-upperclassmen (junior) playing on the right side, the rest were first year starters or freshmen. They definitely matured by the end of October but A&M’s offensive line was nothing to be amazed by. 

Some fun stats for you, A&M receivers had a drop ball rate of over 13% according to SECStatsCats for Calzada which is near the bottom of the SEC. Pressure rate is at 29% near the bottom of the league (so every 42% of his drop backs had something go wrong). Jimbo for whatever reason ran an archaic old school west-coast offense this year when King got hurt in Colorado having called less then 20% of plays be either of play-action, RPOs, or have any kind of motion pre-snap. 

Calzada is a ball protector/game manager. His adjusted completion rate was 71%, his explosive plays were below 10%, his adjusted interception rate was below 2%, and his average depth on passes were less than 9 yards. He didn’t “wow” anybody this year, but I don’t think you can find a game this year where he was responsible for them losing. 

I have my opinions about him, and you can have yours, but let’s not write off 2022 because of a transfer QB you may not have a favorable opinion of, when spring ball hasn’t even come close to starting yet.

I saw pressure rate at 38% for calzada

6 minutes ago, Taco said:

Sir... I'll have you know only unreasonable, pessimistic takes are allowed on this forum on any remotely positive news for this lackluster Yankee of a coach's program.  Check yourself, there won't be a next time.  GOOD DAY!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Taco said:

07445D5B-9446-4C17-A2DB-846527816DA7.jpeg

Went back to listen and guy said 28%, that's my bad, misremembered 38%, should've known that was too high.

Edited by Didba

6 hours ago, Taco said:

I don’t think this is about Calzada per se. When Bo left, I think a lot of people expected a flashy transfer to come in. At least my current feelings are, if we don’t get any other QBs, the coaches have showed a glaring weakness.

• Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1