New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Really?

I am not comparing each individual player from both teams. I am simply reviewing the games, and posting the fallacies that stats often have. For you to try to sum up this entire conversation in a Yes or No question based off of everything except HIS ACTUAL GAME FILM is crazy, but I will bite lol.

If you watch the games, It is very debatable on both the OL and WR. On paper...yes. But go watch the games and see all the drops his WRs had. As far as their OL, they were definitely better in Run blocking, but our pass blocking was just as good if not better from the games I have seen. 

I even went on to post what I think the kid does well and where I think he struggles and all you took from it all was "his WRs had some drops and he was under pressure" shows your  lack of even trying to give a real assessment based on his actual performance. "oh but stats". 

I am not trying to make him the next big thing, but some of you Sh#$%ting all over him because you look at a stat sheet shows  an unwillingness to try to give a reasonable evaluation. The fact is right now he definitely needs some further developing, but look how much Bo improved in one season under CBH. There is nothing to indicate to me that ZC can't improve just as much and honestly, again from just the games I have watched, I believe he is already further along than Bo was pre-Harsin.

That wasn't to dismiss your argument or assessment. My whole point is that even if ZC is serviceable, we can't settle for serviceable next season or we WILL NOT make a bowl. 

We need QB1 to be someone who can take over a game and be dynamic. My point in saying ZC has worse support at Auburn is to point out that Zach was pretty pedestrian TAMU, and he's going to be working with even less at Auburn. His numbers might be even worse. 

And for the record, I don't think the receiving corp is close either. Who do we have that's close to Wydermeyer? 

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yeah, wooh, this is definitely more talented than Auburn's line, what the heck was that other guy talking about? He clearly didn't go look up the Aggies recruiting/roster before making his comment...

On the real, some Aggs at work told me they had a bad oline, citing the injuries, and Calzada taking sacks, so that was my bad, that one is on me for not fact checking and relying on those jerks knowledge about their school.

Their OL was vastly superior in Run blocking, but they didn't perform well in the games I have watch as far as pass blocking as they should have. 

Our OL was the exact opposite. Held up pretty dang well in pass pro, but couldn't move #$% in run blocking. 

• Like 1

Let’s just hope D.Davis has a high ceiling and we don’t have to suffer through a season of TJ or Calzada missing throws all over the field and taking sacks. 

If by some miracle we win the Caleb W bid war and he and his WR homie sign up, then we will be talking business. But if these 4 guys are the guys who are going to be competing, our best hope is the Dee comes along.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

That wasn't to dismiss your argument or assessment. My whole point is that even if ZC is serviceable, we can't settle for serviceable next season or we WILL NOT make a bowl. 

We need QB1 to be someone who can take over a game and be dynamic. My point in saying ZC has worse support at Auburn is to point out that Zach was pretty pedestrian TAMU, and he's going to be working with even less at Auburn. His numbers might be even worse. 

And for the record, I don't think the receiving corp is close either. Who do we have that's close to Wydermeyer? 

I get what you are saying with the first part. Of course we need a good support staff, and I would agree that ZC is not a game changer.  I don't agree that we need a dynamic QB to make a bowl or even have a good season. I would love to have one, but I don't think we need one. I think a Zac Calzada is the difference in 6-7 and 10-3 this year. I honestly think we could have won three games incuding Bama this year with him. 

I don't believe we need a game changing, dynamic QB next year to win either. We SHOULD have a good enough Def that we could have a good season and a bowl with Zac. IF we really hit our needs in the portal on OL, WR and LB we could have a great season with ZC.

As far as comparing his support cast at Tex AM with ours, on paper they should have been night and day better, but they weren't. The WRs and TEs had a lot of drops. The OL was much better than ours in run blocking but they didn't perform up to their talent levels in pass pro. Our OL performed better in pass pro than most want to give credit for. The run blocking was abysmal which made us one dimensional. 

Even Wedemeyer didn't have the kind of year he is capable of. He was criticized by Aggie fans all season for drops. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Oh my, bless your heart. Carry on though. 

And you say my comeback was weak.....

I literally posted factual information after taking the time to watch each individual play to give a more in depth take on his game performance to show that stats do not tell the full story...and you post this... like a butt hurt bratty school girl.. GOH

Screenshot 2022-01-06 8.16.41 PM.png

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

And you say my comeback was weak.....

I literally posted factual information after taking the time to watch each individual play to give a more in depth take on his game performance to show that stats do not tell the full story...and you post this... like a butt hurt bratty school girl.. GOH

Screenshot 2022-01-06 8.16.41 PM.png

giphy3.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

5-7

Harsin really going to do well this offseason with the "He beat Bama" crowd that is 90% of our fanbase.  Then it'll come crashing down

Don't understand the downvoting. If we don't add 2-3 primo offensive lineman in the portal, then our ceiling is 5 wins. There's no way (even with this stout defense) we make a bowl if we can't run the ball. I'll eat crow (I like Auburn and want them to win, don't understand the 'pride' issue in being proven wrong if it's beneficial to me) if we win 6 games but gosh almighty things seem bleak at the moment.

• Like 1

I don't know if any of you are subbed to the WarRapport but the interview they are doing right now with Devin Aromoshodu is great man, so many thoughts about things validated.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let’s just hope D.Davis has a high ceiling and we don’t have to suffer through a season of TJ or Calzada missing throws all over the field and taking sacks. 

If by some miracle we win the Caleb W bid war and he and his WR homie sign up, then we will be talking business. But if these 4 guys are the guys who are going to be competing, are best hope is the Dee comes along.

If Caleb Williams left Oklahoma for Auburn, then he deserves to lose every future penny he would've made in the NFL. Would be career suicide.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

This is true. Just very hard to believe this as an Auburn fan. We have been ridiculously burned by this expectation over the past decade or so.

Gene Chizik won a national title in year 2. "We're just getting started!" Two years later we suffer the worst season in Auburn history. 

Gus Malzahn makes the national title game in his first year. "He's brand new as a coach! He's only going to get better!" We all know what happened. 

Jeremy Johnson shined in spots as a freshman and sophomore. Heisman candidate. Bottom falls out.

Bo Nix comes in as a 5 star legacy who Gus promised "would win a championship before he gets out of here". Two six win seasons later, he's gone. 

This isn't even counting the countless other high hopes put in young talent/staffs that have been dashed (Cowart, Duke Williams, Jovon Robinson, Roc Thomas, etc.)

It's hard, hard, hard to believe in progression and development for an Auburn fan right now. 

I get that. And I’m not trying to be too ‘pie in the sky’. But Chizik has a 5-19 HC record when he was hired, and Gus had 1 year of HC experience when he took over. The past season has been painful, but CBH has a much more accomplished resume as a program manager and player developer than those two. I’m not predicting TJF or ZC become Heisman contenders, but it is disheartening to me to hear so many people label a player so serially in their careers. CBH and Austin Davis have good resumes for the QB position, and I believe between the two of them they will strengthen our QB room a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

If Caleb Williams left Oklahoma for Auburn, then he deserves to lose every future penny he would've made in the NFL. Would be career suicide.

Why would it be career suicide?

NO way I can project how it'd go for him after this upcoming season, but this upcoming season....any QB who signs up for that has to be expecting a pretty rough go of things. Just realistically speaking. Maybe it gets dramatically better in 2023 though

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It wouldn't

I know.

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

NO way I can project how it'd go for him after this upcoming season, but this upcoming season....any QB who signs up for that has to be expecting a pretty rough go of things. Just realistically speaking. Maybe it gets dramatically better in 2023 though

Or they know a little bit more information about how things are playing out behind the scenes than the average fan does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

They may genuinely believe they have a bad line. But ours is legitimately a mess... 

Queue Mikey in 3,2,1…….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shabby said:

What's the recruiting pitch. "Hey we have the worst offensive line in the league but Milos is giving out free NIL buy one get one free Ice Tea coupons"

#teamZach

I'd go with something like this. We are a top 15 all time CFB program. We play in the best division in the best conference, with huge games every year that everyone watches. We will have an elite defense last year. Just look at the Iron Bowl, which we easily would have won with you. The right QB transfer will take us to the National Championship game, just like Cam and Nick. 

Your hero loves our new OC (here, ask him yourself). Also, we will give you a million dollars. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, woodford said:

This wins for worst post of the day, hang it up guys. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

The question here is simply, can he be better than the QBs currently on our roster? Not a high bar, and I think the answer is clearly yes. Now we just need to put together some pieces on the line and at WR. Doesn't matter all that much who is playing QB without those areas being addressed, IMO. 

You are exactly right.  All this in-fighting about whether Calzada is the answer or not, well he probably is a better answer than what is currently on roster.  Not a whole lot of quality QB’s to be selective in Auburn’s situation.  I welcome Calzada to Auburn.