New QB Zach Calzada

Tony4AU

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I see you paid about as much attention to what I posted as you did watching ZC's film. 

Yes or No, did ZC have a better offensive line and receivers than we currently have at Auburn?

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So you've been blasting me and we're on the exact same page?! 🤣 All I've been saying is I don't think ZC is my preferred QB1.

Really? All you took from that was the last sentence I added as a throwaway just to let you know ZC is not my preferred QB1?  You don't address the answer I gave you to your question about if ZC is QB1 with this roster?  Here I'll post it again so maybe you can respond this go round:

"Well I'd imagine Harsin's plan is for this team to be much better in 8 months then it is currently due to 8 more months of player development within his scheme paired with 8 more months of S&C getting these guys stronger.

Along with a hopefully some transfers at OL, and WR.  I don't expect this will be the same team 8 months from now even if the roster is exactly the same besides a few key transfers."

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

So I actually been reading some insider stuff and it does say we are in the running for CW but it is a LONG SHOT. So let's put things in context before we start a CW vs Calzada war.

Jlee saying as of right now 55-60% confidence. I'm in believe it when he enrolls mode. UGA or LSU probably gonna make a big push I'm sure

Edited by au302

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yes or No, did ZC have a better offensive line and receivers than we currently have at Auburn?

Not a better oline for most of the season. He was out a starting center and tackle resulting in him gettin sacked a bunch.

Just now, au302 said:

Jlee saying as of right now 55-60% confidence. I'm in believe it when he enrolls mode. UGA or LSU probably gonna make a big push I'm sure

Yeah same here. Been burnt too many times lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

Really? All you took from that was the last sentence I added as a throwaway just to let you know ZC is not my preferred QB1?  You don't address the answer I gave you to your question about if ZC is QB1 with this roster?  Here I'll post it again so maybe you can respond this go round:

"Well I'd imagine Harsin's plan is for this team to be much better in 8 months then it is currently due to 8 more months of player development within his scheme paired with 8 more months of S&C getting these guys stronger.

Along with a hopefully some transfers at OL, and WR.  I don't expect this will be the same team 8 months from now even if the roster is exactly the same besides a few key transfers."

We aren't developing our players in a vacuum, unfortunately. UGA, LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State's players are going to develop and hit the weight room too. 

I think someone here or maybe a pundit said it best but you aren't just going to outgrind everyone else in the SEC. Everybody works hard and develops. You need talent paired with development. Right now we need an influx of outside talent, particularly offensive talent, if we want to make a bowl next year. 

12 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Sounds like he pretty much played a perfect game then. That’s some impressive spin by the way. 

Breaking down film is spin these days? Strange world we live in.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

this could be a sign the staff thinks ZC is the best they can get. 

It's not and I'm not sure how you could reach that conclusion.

50 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He coached Auburn for 8 years. His name is going to get mentioned. Might as well get used to it.

Notice he never says jack when the shortcomings of Tubs or Chiz is brought up. 

22 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

You didn’t know that the team we have now is the EXACT team we’ll have and the team can’t get better? 

This is how folks here act. 

Except this year's team should've been 10-2 because it's the same team as last year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Shocking newsfootball players, even quarterbacks do improve and get better. So do coaches, and teachers, accountants, and firefighters. Year one or two are rarely the pinnacle of one’s profession. Work, practice, experience, and qualified coaches are effective at helping football players get better at their craft. For you stat masters, go to a website called sports-reference.com and look up:Jason Campbell, Joe Burrow, Matt Corral, Jalen Hurts, and Kyle Trask. Look carefully at their overall production and the progression and improvement. Bottom line: Finley and Calzada may not be all that after one seasons worth of experience, but they’re far from a finished product. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not a better oline for most of the season. He was out a starting center and tackle resulting in him gettin sacked a bunch.

Now this, I vehemently disagree with. 

TAMU's line included a 2x consensus All American and projected top 20 pick at RT. A 4 star RFr at LG. The backup C you're referring to is a 4 star RFr. 2nd team all SEC player at RG. A 4 year starter at Tennessee/TAMU at LT.

We weren't nearly as good this year on the OL and it'll take a lot of work to be as good next year. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Now this, I vehemently disagree with. 

TAMU's line included a 2x consensus All American and projected top 20 pick at RT. A 4 star RFr at LG. The backup C you're referring to is a 4 star RFr. 2nd team all SEC player at RG. A 4 year starter at Tennessee/TAMU at LT.

We weren't nearly as good this year on the OL and it'll take a lot of work to be as good next year. 

Yeah, wooh, this is definitely more talented than Auburn's line, what the heck was that other guy talking about? He clearly didn't go look up the Aggies recruiting/roster before making his comment...

On the real, some Aggs at work told me they had a bad oline, citing the injuries, and Calzada taking sacks, so that was my bad, that one is on me for not fact checking and relying on those jerks knowledge about their school.

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Shocking newsfootball players, even quarterbacks do improve and get better. So do coaches, and teachers, accountants, and firefighters. Year one or two are rarely the pinnacle of one’s profession. Work, practice, experience, and qualified coaches are effective at helping football players get better at their craft. For you stat masters, go to a website called sports-reference.com and look up:Jason Campbell, Joe Burrow, Matt Corral, Jalen Hurts, and Kyle Trask. Look carefully at their overall production and the progression and improvement. Bottom line: Finley and Calzada may not be all that after one seasons worth of experience, but they’re far from a finished product. 

This is true. Just very hard to believe this as an Auburn fan. We have been ridiculously burned by this expectation over the past decade or so.

Gene Chizik won a national title in year 2. "We're just getting started!" Two years later we suffer the worst season in Auburn history. 

Gus Malzahn makes the national title game in his first year. "He's brand new as a coach! He's only going to get better!" We all know what happened. 

Jeremy Johnson shined in spots as a freshman and sophomore. Heisman candidate. Bottom falls out.

Bo Nix comes in as a 5 star legacy who Gus promised "would win a championship before he gets out of here". Two six win seasons later, he's gone. 

This isn't even counting the countless other high hopes put in young talent/staffs that have been dashed (Cowart, Duke Williams, Jovon Robinson, Roc Thomas, etc.)

It's hard, hard, hard to believe in progression and development for an Auburn fan right now. 

• Like 2

Just now, Didba said:

Yeah, wooh, this is definitely more talented than Auburn's line, what the heck was that other guy talking about? He clearly didn't go look up the Aggies recruiting/roster before making his comment...

On the real, some Aggs at work told me they had a bad oline, citing the injuries, and Calzada taking sacks, so that was my bad, that one is on me for not fact checking and relying on those jerks knowledge about their school.

They may genuinely believe they have a bad line. But ours is legitimately a mess... 

Just now, AUght2win said:

It's hard, hard, hard to believe in progression and development for some Auburn fans right now. 

Fixed it for ya
😉

• Haha 1

I believe Zach can be a servicable SEC QB with proper coaching and development. That's my hope at least because thinking a top tier qb is just a visit away is delusional. What's the recruiting pitch. "Hey we have the worst offensive line in the league but Milos is giving out free NIL buy one get one free Ice Tea coupons"

#teamZach

1 minute ago, shabby said:

I believe Zach can be a servicable SEC QB with proper coaching and development. That's my hope at least because thinking a top tier qb is just a visit away is delusional. What's the recruiting pitch. "Hey we have the worst offensive line in the league but Milos is giving out free NIL buy one get one free Ice Tea coupons"

#teamZach

Well as many have alluded to, *the* top tier quarterback is just a visit away. Next week. So fingers crossed. Would be an excellent job by the staff.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well as many have alluded to, *the* top tier quarterback is just a visit away. Next week. So fingers crossed. Would be an excellent job by the staff.

Hopefully Jimmy makes it Ranes     #NIL #fingerscrossed

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Really?

I am not comparing each individual player from both teams. I am simply reviewing the games, and posting the fallacies that stats often have. For you to try to sum up this entire conversation in a Yes or No question based off of everything except HIS ACTUAL GAME FILM is crazy, but I will bite lol.

If you watch the games, It is very debatable on both the OL and WR. On paper...yes. But go watch the games and see all the drops his WRs had. As far as their OL, they were definitely better in Run blocking, but our pass blocking was just as good if not better from the games I have seen. 

I even went on to post what I think the kid does well and where I think he struggles and all you took from it all was "his WRs had some drops and he was under pressure" shows your  lack of even trying to give a real assessment based on his actual performance. "oh but stats". 

I am not trying to make him the next big thing, but some of you Sh#$%ting all over him because you look at a stat sheet shows  an unwillingness to try to give a reasonable evaluation. The fact is right now he definitely needs some further developing, but look how much Bo improved in one season under CBH. There is nothing to indicate to me that ZC can't improve just as much and honestly, again from just the games I have watched, I believe he is already further along than Bo was pre-Harsin.

• Like 1