Harsin: ‘Any attack on my character’ is false

aubiefifty

Bryan Harsin: ‘Any attack on my character’ is false

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

5-6 minutes

Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin watches as Auburn trails Georgia State during the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

Amid an offseason that has seen 18 players depart the program through the transfer portal, an overhaul of the coaching staff and a fall-off in recruiting, Auburn coach Bryan Harsin addressed the tumult surrounding his program as pressure mounts and speculation about his job status intensifies.

In an interview with ESPN on Thursday night that was published Friday morning, Harsin dug in, reaffirming that he plans to remain as Auburn’s head coach for the long run.

Read more Auburn sports: Auburn Board of Trustees approves facility upgrades to Auburn Arena

Former Auburn defensive tackle claims players treated “like dogs” under Bryan Harsin

Reviewing Auburn’s 2022 signing class, as Tigers fail to add on NSD

“I’m the Auburn coach, and that’s how I’m operating every day,” Harsin told ESPN. “I want this thing to work, and I’ve told our players and told everybody else there is no Plan B. I’m not planning on going anywhere. This was and is the job. That’s why I left the one I was in, to come here and make this place a championship program and leave it better than I found it.”

Harsin was hired as Auburn’s head coach less than 14 months ago, when athletics director Allen Greene hired him away from Boise State, where he went 69-19 in seven seasons with his alma mater. Since taking over on the Plains, Harsin has attempted to implement his culture and shape the program in his vision, but little has gone right in the last three months.

Auburn off to a 6-2 start to the season but lost five straight to close out the year and finish with its first losing season since 2012. The Tigers squandered double-digit leads in three of those games, including a quadruple-overtime Iron Bowl loss to rival Alabama. The season culminated in a Birmingham Bowl loss to Houston, which marked the first time since 1950 that Auburn ended the year with five straight losses.

Since the end of the regular season, 18 players have departed the program through the transfer portal, and there have been several changes to the coaching staff, including at offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, defensive line coach and linebackers coach. That’s on top of an early-season change at wide receivers coach.

One of the 18 players who left the program, former four-star defensive tackle Lee Hunter, took to Instagram on Friday morning to address his reason for transferring. In his post, Hunter -- who was the second-highest rated signee in Auburn’s 2021 class and a top-100 recruit in the country -- claimed Harsin treated players “like dogs” and that while he “has the true mindset for a winner,” the first-year head coach “has a terrible mindset as a person.”

“Any attack on my character is bull****,” Harsin told ESPN. “None of that is who I am.”

Harsin, who is on vacation, has not spoken to the local media since a Tuesday appearance at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. Prior to that, his last media availability was Dec. 28 after the Birmingham Bowl loss to Houston wrapped up Auburn’s 6-7 campaign. He did not have a press conference on National Signing Day on Wednesday, as is usually custom, after Auburn failed to add to its 2022 class, which finished ranked 18th in the nation and eighth in the SEC.

Despite the Year 1 struggles and the current turmoil surrounding the program -- which, in the last two weeks, includes the resignations of defensive coordinator Derek Mason and newly hired offensive coordinator Austin Davis -- Harsin seems intent on remaining Auburn’s head coach.

“This is where I want to be,” Harsin told ESPN. “This is what I want to do. That’s why I came here. I didn’t come here to fail. We’ve got to build something, and right now I feel like when you hear some of these things, that there’s a lot of things building against me. Certainly, I’m the right man for the job. There’s no doubt about it. No one is going to have a better plan than I do, but we’ve got to change some things.

“This place is not going to be a championship program until we change some things. You’ve got to let the head coach be the head coach and support him.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Well, we didn't hear a specific  "I did not have sex with that woman."   Of course, folks have lied about that before.

• Haha 2

Just now, Cardin Drake said:

Well, we didn't hear a specific  "I did not have sex with that woman."   Of course, folks have lied about that before.

That is like answering the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

Well that defense didn't work well for Clinton, so, no sense using it here, Lol. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is like answering the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?" 

Well, not really. That question gets you whether you answer it yes or no.  No works just fine on the other question.

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

Well, not really. That question gets you whether you answer it yes or no.  No works just fine on the other question.

Why would he justify answering a false allegation? That is silly is my point.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

I think it is great that addressed things. He appears to be set on moving forward so they better have a good case if they decide to move on.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 2

I have no clue what has actually happened but I agree culture has to change. We have been complaining about culture, route trees, PTB for years. As soon as it starts to change and we see something negative we want Gus and the PTB back. Is it all we know so we are comfortable with it? I am tired of the JABA crap. If he messed up do what needs to be done. However, unless some things change I do not believe AU will ever be at the top consistently. If he did nothing wrong, I hope he is the man we need to do an old fashioned rat killin and fix this program. If he screwed up I hope we can get someone who can.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

“Any attack on my character is bull****,” Harsin told ESPN. “None of that is who I am.”

So, this wasn't a good enough answer for those that believe he is fishing off the company pier?

• Like 4

Sad to say, but I agree with Harsin that there is a lot of hard work to do within the program to right the ship. Team got soft under CGM. And these coaches have to deal with millennials and their attitudes in todays world (not all of them obviously).

But I am afraid to say I think outside the program sucks worse. The AL media is against Auburn. Period. The national media is against us too (Pete Thamel anyone).  And social media sucks!  Then this board even gets WAY out of hand over this type of crap. We just blindly grease the rails for them, argue amongst ourselves, re-tread these BS stories for days, give our outsider opinions as if it fact, insult each other and act like we are smarter than the next…. We certainly make it worse on the coaches and players. No wonder Auburn fans were voted recently top 5 worse fan bases. I didn't believe it until today. 30 years ago I sat through Pat Dyes last two seasons as head coach, and remember the stadium cheering “It’s great to be and Auburn Tiger!” after EVERY LOSESuntil the all the players left the field  AFTER A LOSS!  Not today  

For comparison, you think it is a love-fest being coached by Nick Saban?  Kirby Smart?  Jim Harbaugh?  Luke Kickel?  Bill Belichick?  

Rant over. Sorry if I offended. 

Edited by jw 4 au
  • Like 5

I read the article and a few questions come to mind. Outside of internet chatter, who has made an attack on his character? Has there been an official statement from AU that would be deemed a character attack? Has there been anything from what I would call the legitimate media? Any articles accusing him of something wrong? If so, I have not seen them. I have seen  internet comments and tweets from players past and present but I don't consider that legitimate allegations. It is somewhat interesting that he would be responding to those things. There will always be internet chatter. So exactly who is he responding to about these "character attacks"?

I think it odd he mention that you have to let the head coach be the head coach. Most everything that has happened the past year has been from him; hiring assistants to firing assistants, recruiting, transfers in and transfers out all lay at his feet.

17 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I read the article and a few questions come to mind. Outside of internet chatter, who has made an attack on his character? Has there been an official statement from AU that would be deemed a character attack? Has there been anything from what I would call the legitimate media? Any articles accusing him of something wrong? If so, I have not seen them. I have seen  internet comments and tweets from players past and present but I don't consider that legitimate allegations. It is somewhat interesting that he would be responding to those things. There will always be internet chatter. So exactly who is he responding to about these "character attacks"?

I think it odd he mention that you have to let the head coach be the head coach. Most everything that has happened the past year has been from him; hiring assistants to firing assistants, recruiting, transfers in and transfers out all lay at his feet.

you think all this is just social media "chatter" and its business as usual at the football facility?

17 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

you think all this is just social media "chatter" and its business as usual at the football facility?

No, I think there are legitimate questions being asked, but exactly which "character attacks" is he responding to? The tweets from a former player?

3 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

No, I think there are legitimate questions being asked, but exactly which "character attacks" is he responding to? The tweets from a former player?

any character attacks.

9 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I believe he was responding to the comments of Lee Hunter and Smoke Monday that said he “treats players like dogs” (Hunter) and doesn’t know how to treat kids that come from nothing (Monday).  I don’t see any difference in how you treat players regarding where they came from - treat all people with respect, coach them hard and have high expectations.  There shouldn’t be multiple standards.  

I think this is part of the results of the culture change and “toughening up” that we all wanted.  The bottom line is not everyone is up for it and sometimes its easier to b!tch about the leader than to take a good hard look in the mirror.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

I have no clue what has actually happened but I agree culture has to change. We have been complaining about culture, route trees, PTB for years. As soon as it starts to change and we see something negative we want Gus and the PTB back. Is it all we know so we are comfortable with it? I am tired of the JABA crap. If he messed up do what needs to be done. However, unless some things change I do not believe AU will ever be at the top consistently. If he did nothing wrong, I hope he is the man we need to do an old fashioned rat killin and fix this program. If he screwed up I hope we can get someone who can.

I don't think anyone besides TB wants Gus back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Man somebody started this storm (a booster/a rival fanbase/an AD insider at AU??) and it's gotten so rough that Harsin was asked to address it while he's on freaking vacation.  These internet comments and media ramblings, and player tweets is what has caused our President & BOT to have to untangle "fact from fiction" all day today.  Legitimate allegations or not the Auburn Brass is having to deal with this mess.  

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Man somebody started this storm (a booster/a rival fanbase/an AD insider at AU??) and it's gotten so rough that Harsin was asked to address it while he's on freaking vacation.  These internet comments and media ramblings, and player tweets is what has caused our President & BOT to have to untangle "fact from fiction" all day today.  Legitimate allegations or not the Auburn Brass is having to deal with this mess.  

The kindling was stacked,  the ground was dry, there was a drought, straw was in a pile .  This fire was just waiting for the right spark to start a forest fire.  It would be nice to know who was the arsonist with the lighter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw 4 au said:

Sad to say, but I agree with Harsin that there is a lot of hard work to do within the program to right the ship. Team got soft under CGM. And these coaches have to deal with millennials and their attitudes in todays world (not all of them obviously).

But I am afraid to say I think outside the program sucks worse. The AL media is against Auburn. Period. The national media is against us too (Pete Thamel anyone).  And social media sucks!  Then this board even gets WAY out of hand over this type of crap. We just blindly grease the rails for them, argue amongst ourselves, re-tread these BS stories for days, give our outsider opinions as if it fact, insult each other and act like we are smarter than the next…. We certainly make it worse on the coaches and players. No wonder Auburn fans were voted recently top 5 worse fan bases. I didn't believe it until today. 30 years ago I sat through Pat Dyes last two seasons as head coach, and remember the stadium cheering “It’s great to be and Auburn Tiger!” after EVERY LOSE until the all the players left the field  AFTER A LOSE!  Not today  

For comparison, you think it is a love-fest being coached by Nick Saban?  Kirby Smart?  Jim Harbaugh?  Luke Kickel?  Bill Belichick?  

Rant over. Sorry if I offended. 

Well said.  And if it offends you, then you are part of the problem.

• Like 1

I think Harsin is referring to Lee Hunter about attacking his character. Hunter said Harsin treats players like dogs. I really think all the ones saying things like that are players who left. They offer no specifics, so I say it is just players with an axe to grind and may have no validity.

18 minutes ago, Tntigers said:

Well said.  And if it offends you, then you are part of the problem.

Only part that annoyed me is negative connotation he used millennials but he did follow it with not all of them obviously so I guess he saved it. Just seemed very boomeresque to talk about in a millenial vs older person perspective. And I agree either him on the soft/entitlement aspect.