Who do you root for?

PChamp119

Who did you root for in the Music City Bowl?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you root for in the Music City Bowl?

• Alabama
    • Minnesota
    • SEC

My buddy and I are having a discussion. I claimed to rooting for the SEC in the Music City Bowl and he claims me as an Alabama fan now. I root for the SEC, even if it is Alabama. I love seeing them lose, but whatever makes the SEC look better on paper. I want to see what the general view of how Auburn fans feel when it comes to rooting for Alabama.

I used the extreme case that "What if we needed Alabama to win a game to get to the SEC/National Championship game?" (I know we play them last game, just go with it). He refuses to respond.

I will never root for Alabama. Never. And in the instances where we needed Alabama to win, to help our cause (against LSU in 2002 as an example), I still rooted against them.

When did Alabama play Wisconsin?

I thought about "rooting" for uat once. But, I was very young and VERY intoxicated at the time. :big:

I hope UAT loses, no matter what sport it is, and I will never ever pull for them, not even if it has implications for the SEC or whatever. UAT played Minn. last year in the Music City Bowl, we played Wisconsin in that same bowl the year before.

I don't think you will find many (if any) AU fans that pull for Alabama. I thought this was a know fact? :huh:

I believe very few people who say, "I pull for AU/UA all year until they play each other." :no:

If you want to know the real story, go to JH or BD on any given football Saturday and let them announce the other team is behind or lost their game. There will be no bigger cheer that goes up that day. :D

That's great. That's just part of a rivalry.

I believe very few people who say, "I pull for AU/UA all year until they play each other."  :no:

If you want to know the real story, go to JH or BD on any given football Saturday and let them announce the other team is behind or lost their game.  There will be no bigger cheer that goes up that day. :D

That's great.  That's just part of a rivalry.

169444[/snapback]

I agree. Those folks who say "I pull for AU/UA all year until they play each other." are just blowing smoke up your (*%$#. Auburn fans or Bama fans it does not matter.

I have been to many, many Bama games and could enjoy the game no matter who won, since I was not a fan of either team. The only time I have pulled for Bama was in the Sugar Bowl (1970's) against Ohio State.

I hope UAT loses, no matter what sport it is, and I will never ever pull for them, not even if it has implications for the SEC or whatever.  UAT played Minn. last year in the Music City Bowl, we played Wisconsin in that same bowl the year before.

169442[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but anyone who wouldn't pull for Bama if by them winning, it would help Auburn in some way (help us win the West and go to the SEC title game, have a shot at a national title, etc.) is cutting off their nose to spite their face. At some point, love for Auburn and wanting them to acheive as much as possible has to be larger than hate for Bama.

I always hope that UAT is undefeated coming into the Iron Bowl and we burst their bubble. If not, the bammers alway claim that the only reason that we beat them is due to probation, poor coaching (taking another job), (fill in the blank)... It's just great to see them so dejected. :cheer:

I always hope that UAT is undefeated coming into the Iron Bowl and we burst their bubble. If not, the bammers alway claim that the only reason that we beat them is due to probation, poor coaching (taking another job), (fill in the blank)... It's just great to see them so dejected. :cheer:

169478[/snapback]

Look out Raven! On this one, I AGREE with you! (Bet that sends a cold shiver down the old spine.) :D

Guest Tigrinum Major

I would cheer for anyone against Alabama. No ifs, ands, or buts. LSU is my second favorite team one week out of the year. Now, your scenario that if, for instance, Bama beating LSU would propel Auburn into the SECCG, who would I pull for? Neither, I would not watch it and I would be happy either way with the outcome. Bama is going to win some games. I have accepted that. But it doesn't mean that I would ever pull for them in any way, shape or form.

I think a lot of this has to do with prespective. I grew up in rural Alabama in the 70's. Everyone but me was an Alabama fan. Like the writer of A Tiger Looks At Forty in the Classics Forum states, being an Alabama fan was easy. They won and dominated the series with Auburn. I remember times when I was a kid when I would dread going to school in late November because I knew that the kids that would never see the inside of a college classroom would somehow think they were better than me, just because of the outcome of a football game.

They are the types of people that have never been to a Bama game unless it was against some creampuff at Legion Field. They are (and I use the present tense because they are still this way) the type of people that we laugh at as stereotypical Bama fans.

I have met plenty of wonderful Bama fans over the years. Some are graduates of Alabama and some are not. They realize that the outcome of a football game does not define them, their school or their self worth. They understand that this is a game played by 20 year old kids that we obsess about 12 months out of the year. I have met plenty that are just like the ones with whom I grew up. Those people are the reason I could never cheer for Alabama.

I would cheer for anyone against Alabama.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  LSU is my second favorite team one week out of the year.  Now, your scenario that if, for instance, Bama beating LSU would propel Auburn into the SECCG, who would I pull for?  Neither, I would not watch it and I would be happy either way with the outcome.  Bama is going to win some games.  I have accepted that.  But it doesn't mean that I would ever pull for them in any way, shape or form.

I think a lot of this has to do with prespective.  I grew up in rural Alabama in the 70's.  Everyone but me was an Alabama fan.  Like the writer of A Tiger Looks At Forty in the Classics Forum states, being an Alabama fan was easy.  They won and dominated the series with Auburn.  I remember times when I was a kid when I would dread going to school in late November because I knew that the kids that would never see the inside of a college classroom would somehow think they were better than me, just because of the outcome of a football game. 

They are the types of people that have never been to a Bama game unless it was against some creampuff at Legion Field.  They are (and I use the present tense because they are still this way) the type of people that we laugh at as stereotypical Bama fans. 

I have met plenty of wonderful Bama fans over the years.  Some are graduates of Alabama and some are not.  They realize that the outcome of a football game does not define them, their school or their self worth.  They understand that this is a game played by 20 year old kids that we obsess about 12 months out of the year.  I have met plenty that are just like the ones with whom I grew up.  Those people are the reason I could never cheer for Alabama.

169498[/snapback]

So in a sense, you are letting those people define who you cheer for.

Guest Tigrinum Major

169499[/snapback]

Well, when you put it like that, yes.

Alabama is also our biggest rival. If they are not winning, my team will do better in recruiting and therefore be a better team.

But, yes, I will admit it, I let my emotion concerning those fans that have no class, no real connection to the university besides the purchase of a T shirt and as much intelligence as a bird dog (my apologies to any bird dog owners out there) rule my head when I say that I would never cheer for Alabama.

Does that mean that I can't be objective and have a decent conversation with a Bama fan? Not at all. I think my posts here and on Crimson Tusks prove that.

You will note that I did not put all Alabama fans in that group. Auburn has their share of idiots that are fans also, but I choose to just look at them with blue tinted shades and tell myself that they are in teh minority. Other schools that shall remain nameless probably have a greater percentage of their fanbase that falls into the Mullet Nation or Classless Redneck Sooner or Ruthless Cajun stereotype. But I was not around them every day of my life growing up.

169499[/snapback]

Does that mean that I can't be objective and have a decent conversation with a Bama fan? Not at all. I think my posts here and on Crimson Tusks prove that.

I know you are objective. Just making you think about it. I enjoy reading your posts on CT. I look at it from the point that both teams have fans I can't stand & I won't let them influence who I cheer for, Alabama or Auburn. I do pull for Auburn(not against Bama of course), but it behooves me to do so because my fiancee is an Auburn grad. :big:

I went into the game pulling UAT but I cheered for MN. My wife ask me, I thought you were pulling for UAT? Oh, I forgot.

I have done some low-life things that I have lived to regret, but pulling for UA will never be one of them.

There is an old country song with the following words, "How far down can I Go? I'd steal a news boy's dime for a small glass of wine my hand gets to trembling so, I brought many tears to my momma's eye's, how far down can I go?"

This song is the picture of a worthless fellow. In my opinon I, as an AU man, would be more worthless than the above if I ever pulled for the dark kingdom.

Archived