I think we have to root for Calzada

AUght2win

Some common thoughts our fans spout that I disagree with (not that anyone cares)

"Gus prioritized dual threat QB's" - Marshall was the only dude that he truly utilized running. The Nix offenses he ran were different. Then most of his tenure was JJ, Sean White, and Stidham. Those dudes are not dual threats, lol. Wish he would've stuck with what got him there though.

"Harsin is stubborn and just runs his stuff"- Watch 2020 Boise highlights on YouTube. Our '21 offense looked different than that one. Granted, definitely more similarities in the bowl game with motions, shifts, sweeps, RB's in the pass game, etc. Should have it installed this year now that he's got more of his personnel 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

He may prioritize mobility more than running.  He probably wants a,QB that keeps his head up in the pocket looking for his receivers to break open and buying time in the pocket instead of running out of the pocket. 

Yeah, if it's a called pass play then any coach wants his guy to hang tough in the pocket and deliver the pass. Well, most coaches. Not sure about the last guy. 

But I think Harsin would be thrilled to have a guy that can do that but also make a defense pay on the occasional draw or broken down play.

It's just wild that someone is suggesting he actively avoids running quarterbacks. It's such flawed thinking. Just weird.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, au302 said:

Some common thoughts our fans spout that I disagree with (not that anyone cares)

"Gus prioritized dual threat QB's" - Marshall was the only dude that he truly utilized running. The Nix offenses he ran were different. Then most of his tenure was JJ, Sean White, and Stidham. Those dudes are not dual threats, lol. Wish he would've stuck with what got him there though.

This ignores the rule changes that occurred around the 2013-2014 seasons that made it much harder to run an offense similar to 2013-14 Auburn.  The rules basically forced Gus to stop the Marshall style offenses.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Didba said:

The rules basically forced Gus to stop the Marshall style offenses.

The rules, John Chaney, and Myles Garrett

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Called QB draw against Arkansas on second and long. "He doesn't like using his QB mobility." SMH 

Damn I thought the team had really turned a corner after that game. 😢

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I see your reading is on the same level as your use of the English language.

I said, 

Again, I bolded the part that slipped past you for your ease. Also, I used the word "intentionally" as it was your word you originally used  

Your response, although well laid out eludes answering the question. Well, I guess not, you did answer, but as normal you're wrong in your conclusions.

Why would you frame it as “preferring” to run over pass? They aren’t mutually exclusive. Matt Corral threw 380+ passes and had 150+ rushing attempts. Like I said, you must have meant majority. Which is a bizarre standard that nobody mentioned.

This whole conversation is bizarre. It’s like trying to convince someone that three point dependent offenses don’t exist in modern day basketball, or home run dependency isn’t a thing in modern baseball. 

There’s just simply no way you can seriously, genuinely believe that many college coaches in 2022 don’t base offenses off of having a running QB.

It’s especially ironic on this board, since the argument can be made that Malzahn single-handedly started the spread, read-option running QB trend at our own damn school.

4 hours ago, au302 said:

"Harsin is stubborn and just runs his stuff"- Watch 2020 Boise highlights on YouTube. Our '21 offense looked different than that one. Granted, definitely more similarities in the bowl game with motions, shifts, sweeps, RB's in the pass game, etc. Should have it installed this year now that he's got more of his personnel 

I think the most common sentiment is that Gus SHOULD have prioritized dual threats. He infamously took Tyler Queen over Lamar Jackson I believe. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think the most common sentiment is that Gus SHOULD have prioritized dual threats. He infamously took Tyler Queen over Lamar Jackson I believe. 

Oh Tyler Queen. The first time I ever truly doubted Gus. 2015.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Okay. I'm not really advocating for Daniels. But there are several good reasons to take him.

As for what we've already got, quantity doesn't equal quality. It's not like anyone is going to have a stranglehold on the offense after spring. If a better QB came in after spring, there's no reason not to take him. 

JT just doesn't have enough body of work for me to consider him a priority to  bring in. If we were short handed on bodies at QB...then yes. Or if he's a huge difference maker, i'd understand bringing him in. He couldn't get is job back at UGA. 

35 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

To be fair, with proper coaching Tyler could have been a decent backup TE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Completely agree. I know there were rule changes, but he was trying to operate his offense with pro-style guys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

JT just doesn't have enough body of work for me to consider him a priority to  bring in. If we were short handed on bodies at QB...then yes. Or if he's a huge difference maker, i'd understand bringing him in. He couldn't get is job back at UGA. 

I get it. He can't stay healthy and there's other needs. No one doubts that. This QB room has been upgraded in terms of ceilings of the guys we got and depth wise. But all of them are still works in progress. We need a safety net, and I think he'd provide that as a guy who is above average when healthy.

And for the record, I think there's a good chance that one of these guys takes the reigns and develops into a damn fine QB as soon as this year. Calzada has shown flashes. Just that if you are Harsin, are you willing to risk that it happens by this September?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, au302 said:

I get it. He can't stay healthy and there's other needs. No one doubts that. This QB room has been upgraded in terms of ceilings of the guys we got and depth wise. But all of them are still works in progress. We need a safety net, and I think he'd provide that as a guy who is above average when healthy.

And for the record, I think there's a good chance that one of these guys takes the reigns and develops into a damn fine QB as soon as this year. Calzada has shown flashes. Just that if you are Harsin, are you willing to risk that it happens by this September?

My point is..how is he considered above average? Zach is above average in my opinion. JT hasn't proven anything worthy in my eyes. He barely won against a bad Clemson team. He has potential just like the other guys we have. But i just don't view him as a standout we have to have despite who we have in the QB room. The last time he saw meaningful full time was in 2018 and his biggest win was against Washington St. and Colorado. He can't stay healthy. 

Look i would be for it if he was able to go through spring but I just don't see the point of using a scholly on him when he's not by far the best of what we have. He'd only be another unknown and hopeful a QB to play above what is expected. We need to move on and find a QB that can be at AU for at least 2 - 3 years to help build us back up. I agree with doing that with a guy that is flat out special at QB. JT hasn't shown he's THAT dude or he'd be the one leading UGA to the championship. 

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 6:02 AM, Sizzle said:

I just don’t understand why a coach would be against a QB who could run. It makes zero sense to me. Thats the way the game is going, even on the pro level. Having a QB that can escape and make plays on his feet make your offense so much more dangerous 

I am Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and we do not agree with of this message. 

Edited by Hay Field 101
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

My point is..how is he considered above average?

"Daniels was 7-0 as Georgia's starting quarterback -- 4-0 in 2020, and 3-0 in 2021 -- and he currently has the highest career passer rating (168.1), completion percentage (69.5), yards per attempt (9.7) and yards passing per game started among Bulldogs' quarterbacks who have had more than 100 attempts."

I mean... he was the starting QB at uga and only lost his job because of injury. 

Nobody here is in love with the guy but his credentials are pretty well known and there is every reason to believe that he would push any guy on our roster. Our QB room is not too crowded, we have plenty of scholarships available, and the only guy who's going to have any meaningful advantage in terms of experience after spring is the same guy that you don't want to win the job.

Whether it's Daniels or someone else, I'd be shocked if Harsin has just completely shut down any thought of bringing in someone better than who we've got. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Why would you frame it as “preferring” to run over pass? They aren’t mutually exclusive. Matt Corral threw 380+ passes and had 150+ rushing attempts. Like I said, you must have meant majority. Which is a bizarre standard that nobody mentioned.

He was also broken for a majority of the season and it lead to a few loses they should have won....on being vs us.

That's what you want?  Run a qb 150 times vs selectively?

• Like 1

Per Cole Cublic on Jox this morning- 

“having spoken with CBH he wants and plans to run the QB more in this year’s game planning” 

CBH must be reading the OP and his assessment of QB play. 😂

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, AUght2win said:

this discussion is about whether or not CBH likes to intentionally run the ball with his quarterback. He does not. 

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Per Cole Cublic on Jox this morning- 

“having spoken with CBH he wants and plans to run the QB more in this year’s game planning” 

CBH must be reading the OP and his assessment of QB play. 😂

oops-whoopsies.gif

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, AUght2win said:

According to Gus’ players, he was an “offensive genius”. Color me shocked that the locker room believes in their coach. CBH is probably more adaptive than CGM but Harsin clearly wants pocket passers.

I think he wants passers, period.

While running ability is a plus,  efficient passing - including stretching the defense with an occasional  long ball  - is the priority. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'm rooting for Calzada.  I hope he proves to be better than Finley.  Because we need better than Finley.

Well, I'm hoping for Finley to get better, which is no less likely. ;)

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Exactly, which goes back to my point that I don’t think Robbie has a shot. Rightly or wrongly.

Robbie’s legs could potentially set him apart in a tight race of mediocre passers if CBH used that element. But he doesn’t.

As it stands the tie will go to TJ in a close race for reasons I explained previously. But I don’t think we can win with him. Calzada is our best chance. He may not be MUCH better than TJ, but I do think he is better.

If Robbie was accurate and had good touch, Harsin would absolutely start him (assuming he also had a good grasp of the offense, showed poise, that he can handle the game and big moments, and was at least as good if not better in all of these areas compared to the others on the roster), but from what I’ve seen, that’s not the case yet. And it definitely was not the case with DD per every report I saw. There’s a reason he was always last on the depth chart, and there’s a reason no one ever saw him even in mop up duty.

Even if Harsin doesn’t like to run QB runs for whatever reason, that doesn’t mean he’s just not going to play a mobile qb. Everyone and their dog knows what an advantage a mobile qb can be, but it can’t be at the expense of good decision making and accuracy. And like every coach on earth, that is what Harsin cares about most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How about we root for whichever QB comes out of the competition the clear favorite to run the offense? Whether Harsin desires a running QB or not, unless the OL play improves significantly, whoever wins the job is gonna need some mobility. That doesn't mean he's gotta be Nick Marshall light.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

"Daniels was 7-0 as Georgia's starting quarterback -- 4-0 in 2020, and 3-0 in 2021 -- and he currently has the highest career passer rating (168.1), completion percentage (69.5), yards per attempt (9.7) and yards passing per game started among Bulldogs' quarterbacks who have had more than 100 attempts."

I mean... he was the starting QB at uga and only lost his job because of injury. 

Nobody here is in love with the guy but his credentials are pretty well known and there is every reason to believe that he would push any guy on our roster. Our QB room is not too crowded, we have plenty of scholarships available, and the only guy who's going to have any meaningful advantage in terms of experience after spring is the same guy that you don't want to win the job.

Whether it's Daniels or someone else, I'd be shocked if Harsin has just completely shut down any thought of bringing in someone better than who we've got. 

When he was healthy they didn't bring him back versus a walk on QB.  UGA fans were begging and pleading for him and Kirby wouldn't let him get a snap.. Bennett was winning but he wasn't impressive. That 7-0 is not a full season. It's not even  half of the season over 2 years. Sure it's nice stats when you get to front load your stats in the beginning of the season. 

Look i hope the kid does well but it's not like he's going to put AU in championship contention. So i just rather us find someone we can build with long term. That's all.

Edited by WarEagle1983

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

There’s a reason he was always last on the depth chart, and there’s a reason no one ever saw him even in mop up duty.

I'm glad another knows this too

• Like 2