I think we have to root for Calzada

AUght2win

8 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Looking at the stats from last year. Calzada is no more accurate than TJ. So why will his accuracy improve?

So there is a big difference in the two QBs here. Stats don't paint a full picture. Watch both of them. There is a difference whether it reflects on a stat sheet or not.

As far as can TJ improve his, I think he absolutely can. To me, there is more to it than just a QB getting better with more experience. What was the cause of his inaccuracies? Was it due to poor mechanics? Bad Footwork? Was it due to internal panick and just not being able to settle in the pocket in the spotlight?  Not all accuracy issues are the same.

Now, if you have a guy that you have fixed his mechanics and his footwork, throwing motion, everything that goes with it, and he is still inaccurate...then he may never be an accurate QB. On the other side of that coin, you see guy who are inaccurate, but have poor fundamentals and mechanics and they get coached up and walahh! The accuracy improves. 

Ultimately, there is a lot of room for both QBs to improve. I am rooting for all our QBs and want them all to develop and be starter ready. I believe ZC will be our guy in the end. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

According to all the players, you're wrong

According to Gus’ players, he was an “offensive genius”. Color me shocked that the locker room believes in their coach. CBH is probably more adaptive than CGM but Harsin clearly wants pocket passers.

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lmao. I am done arguing with this dude. You guys can have it. I got roped in once 

Only cares about CFB wins and not draft potential....names 10 1st round draft picks

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Aaaand there we go. This is the reaction when your point suddenly collapses under evidence.

Portal QBs do not want to go to schools where proven starters are. Period. It’s a risky enough decision to leave a starting gig as-is. Ask current QB2 Bo Nix at Oregon. 

I’m as competitive as anyone but I’m not leaving my job as a P5 starter, picking up my life and moving to a new school, and learning a new offense with a new team unless I’m absolutely sure I’m going to start at my next school.

Calzada isn’t a superstar. But he’s absolutely enough to make 90% of transfer portal QBs (the exceptions being your NFL prospects like Caleb Williams) look elsewhere. 

This isn’t a hot take. It’s just common sense. Only one QB can play.

Sorry. I grossly overestimated your interest in an intellectually honest conversation. That's on me. Carry on. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Only cares about CFB wins and not draft potential....names 10 1st round draft picks

A handful of the best collegiate prospects as well. Yeah I am sure CBH wouldn’t have tried to recruit 5 star dual threat qb Tim Tebow because he is against mobile QBs. Must be why he didn’t go after Caleb Williams too. Oh wait he did.

Edited by DAG

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Many of those aren’t NFL successes. You guys are cracking me up. Are we really, as AUBURN fans, dying on the hill that mobile QBs can’t be successful? I mean the common thread around here for years (and rightfully so) was why Gus inexplicably went away from a read option QB. 

Crazy how people will just completely abandon their logic. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

dying on the hill that mobile QBs can’t be successful?

No on has said that.

It's been shown to you that Harsin has had mobile QBs but you don't want to listen.  He brought in a mobile QB this offseason.  We tried to recruit the #1 QB in the transfer portal in Caleb Williams.

Edited by W.E.D

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

A handful of the best collegiate prospects as well. Yeah I am sure CBH wouldn’t have tried to recruit 5 star dual threat qb Tim Tebow because he is against running QBs. Must be why he didn’t go after Caleb Williams too. Oh wait he did.

Was there ever any proof that we went after Williams besides a completely debunked Reddit thread?

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We need him to have the summer and fall camp of his life.

I have liked what I’ve seen from Ashford’s athleticism but Harsin seems to totally discount a QB’s legs. Almost like he see them as detrimental to what he wants to do with his pro style system.

So I think Robby has virtually no shot, Geriner needed to set the world on fire to start as a true freshman and he hasn’t, and DD is gone. That leaves TJ and Calzada.

If the competition between those two ends in a tie, Finley will get the nod. He’s a locker room leader and knows the playbook better. 

I think TJ could be good in spots but I don’t think he can get us to 8 wins. Zach was the guy CBH invested in this offseason with a plethora of portal guys available. I think our only hope to have a good season is with Zach at this point.

I’ll root for whoever starts game 1, but I’m rooting for Calzada to win the job. I just don’t see TJ’s accuracy problems being fixable. 

I agree with this 1,000%. I normally take the approach of may the best man win but not in this situation. I agree that I appears that Harsin wants nothing to do with more of a running QB. I don’t agree with it considering our OL will not be fixed this season and not likely next season. I would rather like the approach of building around the best qb you have. 

If we want to have any shot in being in and winning games against the better teams, it’s going to have to be Zach. I fully believe that. Zach is the most accurate with deep passing and he still is elusive enough to escape pressure. Kid is also tough as nails. We’re going to have to stretch the field as defenses are going to crowd the line to stop Tank. Teams are going to make us prove we can throw the football with consistency. 

I don’t think TJ gets us close to 8 wins. Probably 5 or 6. It’s probably going to take several position areas to step up to get even close to 8 wins. I think many are devaluing how teams like Arkansas and Miss State are getting better and recruited better. Zach does give us the best chance to bet those teams. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I could see him as a Rivers type more than Josh Allen.  I just don't think he's that level of athletic.  He can move around, but Allen is a pretty special runner for his size.  We'll see if he grows another 3 inches to be as tall too 😉

Like I said, similar not the exact clone and many do between 18-22.

Just now, W.E.D said:

No on has said that.

It's been shown to you that Harsin has had mobile QBs but you don't want to listen

No. It. Hasn’t. He has had one singular QB go over 400 yards in a season. Most were under or around 100. Look it up.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Was there ever any proof that we went after Williams besides a completely debunked Reddit thread?

I am going off the rumors that was being put out their by  the insiders (whom you like to support)  over the summer. LeT me guess, that is not good enough for you since it doesn’t fit your agenda, right ?

Edited by DAG

Just now, AUght2win said:

No. It. Hasn’t. He has had one singular QB go over 400 yards in a season. Most were under or around 100. Look it up.

You can be both be mobile and not go over 400 yards. Can you not logically see that?

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

“ it is not me, it is everyone else.”

“Four anonymous people on a message board agree with me so clearly I’m an authority.”

4 hours ago, woodford said:

Why would JT Daniels come to Auburn? 

Why would we want him at this point is my question 

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

“Four anonymous people on a message board agree with me so clearly I’m an authority.”

I wasn’t counting lol. Clearly you are keeping a poll. Thanks for that. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

According to Gus’ players, he was an “offensive genius”. Color me shocked that the locker room believes in their coach. CBH is probably more adaptive than CGM but Harsin clearly wants pocket passers.

Nope, coloring you stupid instead. For trying to deny that, after the attempted coup and subsequent meetings, CBH took the information and changed his approach completely and for trying to  continue and push your negative and transparent shots.  It's been reported by multiple outlets and players, even the one's that initially criticized him, that he has taken it all to heart and changed for the better.  Unlike the other, CBH is learning and evolving. Deal with it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I saw enough from TJ against Houston. It just isn’t happening. He isn’t the worst we’ve had start in recent memory. Jeremy and Moseley were worse. But I just don’t see his accuracy getting fixed.

I really love TJ as a kid and am really hoping I’m wrong though.

Agree. He hits his deep passes at a decent rate. I’ll take that. My main thing with TJ is his slow reaction time. Our OL may improve some in pass plays but I don’t expect it to improve a lot. Therefore, I’d like to see a QB that can read and diagnose quickly. That’s on tape with Zach.

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Well that's false.  I looked it up.

Arkansas St - 2013 - QB Rushed for 540 yards.  teams leading rusher

Boise St 2014 - QB rushed for 590 yards 2nd leading rusher behind an NFL back

🤡

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Why would we want him at this point is my question 

Because we have more unused scholarships (some) than dependable QBs (zero).

• Like 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

Because we have more unused scholarships (some) than dependable QBs (zero).

How is he dependable? I’ll pass. He can’t stay healthy. 

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Nope, coloring you stupid instead. For trying to deny that, after the attempted coup and subsequent meetings, CBH took the information and changed his approach completely and for trying to  continue and push your negative and transparent shots.  It's been reported by multiple outlets and players, even the one's that initially criticized him, that he has taken it all to heart and changed for the better.  Unlike the other, CBH is learning and evolving. Deal with it.

Well if we’re devolving into calling each other stupid, maybe you should understand the use of the word “malleable” was in context to his offensive system. I’ll be graceful and label it as confusion rather than stupidity on your part.

After reading this thread and posts with widely different opinions about QBs, I'm wondering what I should conclude😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well if we’re devolving into calling each other stupid, maybe you should understand the use of the word “malleable” was in context to his offensive system. I’ll be graceful and label it as confusion rather than stupidity on your part.

Never called YOU stupid, just your stance. I can understand your confusion.