Liz Cheney

wdefromtx

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

plus the whole student loan thing you keep throwing out that you act like is a bad thing is seriously laughable. 

Well bud, like I said above, I don't vouch for any bat $h*t crazy Republican or their character.  I can't do anything about House or Senate members unless they are from my state so bite me!  The fact that you think the R's are more stupid than the D's says more about you than anything else.  Many on both sides are dumb as a sack of rocks.

The student loan thing as you call it is not only bad, it is unconscionable.  I am almost done putting three kids through college and I sacrificed things like new cars, vacations and saved as much as possible in order not to get loans to do it. I've paid for school and sure as hell don't want to pay for others.  Let them sacrifice like me and my family did.  AOC can sell her Tesla and drive something more economical, or not take vacations in Florida like she did relatively recently.  Just making those changes and putting that money towards her debt would have it payed off in no time.  That is what adults do!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:30 PM, Didba said:

further, multiple statements in your post are outright lies while all of mine are true! Try spewing less alt right talking points and more factual discussion. Also pretty hilarious how triggered you got by me pointing out some very dumb republicans. fragile are you?

again. Good effort, bud. Thanks for playing. Any time you need a dressing down or education on how the law works feel free to @ me. I love educating you guys with my expertise in politics and the law. 

You pompous ass.  None of my statements are lies.  You are dismissed Bud!

Edited by auburn41
Jokes and jabs about suicide are over the line - even in the smack forum and even aimed at oneself. auburn41 edited the remainder of this comment.....Just to be clear this was not a joke about suicide, it was a joke about Bud's huge ego and small IQ!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

Well bud, like I said above, I don't vouch for any bat $h*t crazy Republican or their character.  I can't do anything about House or Senate members unless they are from my state so bite me!  The fact that you think the R's are more stupid than the D's says more about you than anything else.  Many on both sides are dumb as a sack of rocks.

The student loan thing as you call it is not only bad, it is unconscionable.  I am almost done putting three kids through college and I sacrificed things like new cars, vacations and saved as much as possible in order not to get loans to do it. I've paid for school and sure as hell don't want to pay for others.  Let them sacrifice like me and my family did.  AOC can sell her Tesla and drive something more economical, or not take vacations in Florida like she did relatively recently.  Just making those changes and putting that money towards her debt would have it payed off in no time.  That is what adults do!

I can’t wait for tuition reform so people like you can stop crying about student loan forgiveness. I’ve got six figures in student loans after law school. I’d gladly support student loan forgiveness the day after I paid my last dime on my loans off.

Why? Because the I got mine, I had to deal with it so everyone else should have to as well is one of the worst things about a certain sect of people in this country. 

it’s only unconscionable to you because are a selfish person with the aforementioned mentality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, auburn41 said:

You pompous ass.  None of my statements are lies. You are dismissed Bud!

scrubs-dr-perrycox.gif.9b5798904c334512bb96e8a3828819e7.gif

this is too rich. Got so triggered you resorted to name calling. Typical. 

and yes multiple of your statements were lies. A 5 second google to do some research with credible sources refuted them.

further sir, I take offense at pompous, I prefer elitist.  /s

Moreover, “you are dismissed!” What are you a schoolteacher? Cmon bud. Do better. 

Edited by TitanTiger
  • Haha 2

The fact is that the Republican party is the party that is now openly endorsing lying to win.  Gone are the days of any degree of dignity they once held onto.  The same GOP that preached "family values" and "protecting the constitution" is now the party willingly throwing that out the window in order to praise a man that mocks their faith and the very constitution they swore to protect.  That is a sign of weak minds that are either incapable or too lazy to do the work needed to actually find middle ground and lead this country.  It is much easier to group think and follow.

I actually believed that, much like during the turbulent era of de-segregation, religious leaders would temper the worst impulses of the far right.  Unfortunately, most of those leaders have passed and the new generation are all too willing to allow their faith to be weaponized.  They gleefully support a man that has stated clearly that he doesn't need God's forgiveness, while they mock the faith of those on the other side of the aisle. 

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 3

11 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Omar married her brother, Bush is still saying “defund the police” while using taxpayer funding to hire private security (she gets people with guns to protect her while taking away protection for the average citizen.  Still waiting on Adam Schiff to produce his “evidence”. Swalwell slept with Feng Feng and lord only knows what he told her. AOC makes $174K per year, has a Tesla and wants me to pay her $17K in student loans.  Hell, AOC didn’t even know what a garbage disposal was.  Tlaib is another student loan whiner but she took home thousands from the government during Covid lockdowns (after voting for the bill) because she is a landlord. She should use that money to pay her loan!!  Oh and let’s not forget how Shelia Jackson Lee asked the folks at Johnson Space Center how close the Mars Lander was to the US flag (that is on the MOON). 

While I certainly don’t agree with everything whacky Republicans say or do, or vouch for the character of any of them or their spouses, to call one group “more stupid” than the other is beyond the pale!!!

another republican liar telling more lies but i expect this sort of thing. read and weep dude.........

Unproven allegations that Ilhan Omar married her brother, explained

Grace Panetta

10-13 minutes

Rep. Lauren Boebert revived unproven rumors sthat Rep. Ilhan Omar married her brother to commit immigration fraud. 

Conservative websites have claimed for years that Omar's second husband was really her brother. 

No evidence — like a birth certificate or other legal document — has surfaced to prove the theory.

Prominent progressive Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota has for years found herself on the receiving end of a slew of incendiary attacks from former President Donald Trump and other Republicans — including persistent but baseless rumors that she married her brother. 

GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado is the latest high-profile conservative to revive the unverified claim amid other Islamophobic attacks and insults against Omar. In a November 17 speech on the House floor, Boebert called Omar a member of the "Jihad Squad" and referred to Omar's "brother-husband." 

Trump poured more fuel on the fire in a Tuesday statement, accusing Omar, who came to the US as a young girl, of "abandoning her country" and saying "she should apologize for marrying her brother."

Omar, who was born in Somalia in 1982, came to America as a refugee with her father and siblings in 1995 by way of a Kenyan refugee camp and resettled in Minneapolis, where she became a US citizen. Omar was elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2016 and to Congress in 2018, one of the first two Muslim women to serve in Congress.

At an October 2019 rally in Omar's district in Minneapolis, Trump praised the work of conservative blogger Scott Johnson, who authors the Power Line blog.

"Everything about Omar is a fraud, including her name," Trump said at the rally. "Scott reports that his sources told him, that Omar's legal husband was Omar's brother, and that she married him for fraudulent purposes, you mean like, coming into the United States maybe?" 

The unverified rumors that Omar married her brother originated from an anonymous user on a Somali-American internet forum in 2016, and have circulated around the internet ever since.

Conservative bloggers have claimed that Omar's second husband, a British citizen named Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, is her brother and that she married him to help him fraudulently gain a US green card.

President Donald Trump addresses a campaign rally Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019, in Minneapolis.

AP Photo/Jim Mone

Public documents contradict some of Omar's story about her marriage history

No hard evidence — like a birth certificate or other legal documents — has surfaced to prove that Elmi is Omar's brother or that any fraud was committed. Yet Omar has still not explained some discrepancies and inconsistencies in her marriage history.

Omar released a lengthy statement when she first ran for office in 2016 to address the persistent rumors that she married her brother, which she called "absurd and offensive," and gave a timeline of her marriage and relationship history.

Omar married her first husband, Ahmed Hirsi, in an Islamic faith ceremony in 2002 when she was 19, but the couple did not obtain a legal marriage certificate. The couple had two children together from 2002 to 2008.

Omar and Hirsi split in 2008, also in a faith-based, not legal, proceeding.

Omar legally married her second husband, Elmi, in 2009.

Elmi and Omar separated just two years later, in 2011, but did not get a legal divorce. Elmi moved back to London.

Omar and Hirsi got back together in 2012 and had their third child while Omar was separated from but still legally married to Elmi.

Omar officially divorced Elmi in 2017 and legally married Hirsi in 2018.

Omar filed to legally divorce Hirsi in October 2019, citing an "irretrievable breakdown of the marriage relationship" in her divorce filings. Their divorce was finalized in November 2019, and Hirsi married another woman a little over a month later in December. 

Omar also remarried, tying the knot with political consultant Tim Mynett in March 2020. 

Numerous public documents obtained and reported by news outlets including the Minneapolis Star Tribune and the Washington Examiner, however, cast doubt on Omar's official timeline of her marriage and relationship history.

As the Star Tribune reported in June 2019, Omar filed joint tax returns with Hirsi in 2014 and 2015 while she was still legally married to Elmi.  She was fined by Minnesota's campaign-finance watchdog for paying a lawyer with campaign funds to fix the mistake, as federal law prohibits people from filing joint returns with a person who is not their spouse.

At about the same time, the Examiner published a story reporting that in dozens of publicly available traffic violation and court records, Hirsi "listed his address at a single Cedar Riverside address consistently in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011," the same address Omar listed in separate traffic-violation cases, including during the time she was split from Hirsi.

The Examiner further discovered a 2013 local news article which said that Omar and Hirsi "moved to North Dakota so that Omar could finish her bachelor's degree in political science" from 2009 to 2011, the exact time frame during which she was legally married to Elmi, who also attended North Dakota State.

Complicating matters further, both the Star Tribune and the Examiner reported that the address in the Minneapolis suburb of Columbia Heights that Omar and Elmi listed on their 2009 marriage-license application was the same location Hirsi listed as his home address when applying for a business license with the state government that same year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, auburn41 said:

You pompous ass.  None of my statements are lies.  You are dismissed Bud!

sounds like you need to smoke a bud bud. and you in fact did lie. just another trump lie you folks took to heart..........

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The fact is that the Republican party is the party that is now openly endorsing lying to win.  Gone are the days of any degree of dignity they once held onto.  The same GOP that preached "family values" and "protecting the constitution" is now the party willingly throwing that out the window in order to praise a man that mocks their faith and the very constitution they swore to protect.  That is a sign of weak minds that are either incapable or too lazy to do the work needed to actually find middle ground and lead this country.  It is much easier to group think and follow.

I actually believed that, much like during the turbulent era of de-segregation, religious leaders would temper the worst impulses of the far right.  Unfortunately, most of those leaders have passed and the new generation are all too willing to allow their faith to be weaponized.  They gleefully support a man that has stated clearly that he doesn't need God's forgiveness, while they mock the faith of those on the other side of the aisle. 

There is a large segment of people in this country who are simply ignorant, selfish, racist/xenophobic, hateful, resentful and unencumbered by morality and empathy.  This segment of the population has existed throughout our history.  (It's probably a natural part of the human condition.)  Social media - and our undemocratic electoral system - turbocharged their power and influence.

The Republican party is "mining" this vein of the population with a skillful demagogue for pure political power.  My hope is their minority status will ultimately prevent them from gaining absolute and dictatorial power - which they clearly strive for.

The alternative is too awful to contemplate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

another republican liar telling more lies but i expect this sort of thing. read and weep dude.........

What really bothers him about Omar is that she's not a white, anglo-saxon, protestant.

For these people, that doesn't make them real Americans, much less legitimate politicians.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 3

How Democrats can help Liz Cheney bring down Trump

By Jennifer Rubin

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) all but announced her 2024 presidential run on Tuesday. But the big question looming over her potential candidacy is how she expects to take down defeated former president Donald Trump in a party still in his thrall.

She hinted at the answer on Tuesday:

As we leave here, let us resolve that we will stand together — Republicans, Democrats and independents — against those who would destroy our republic. They are angry and they are determined, but they have not seen anything like the power of Americans united in defense of our Constitution and committed to the cause of freedom. There is no greater power on this earth, and with God’s help, we will prevail.

In the context of a presidential primary, it will take not only decent Republicans but millions of Democrats — and even President Biden — to help her eliminate Trump in the primary, force the nomination to go to the convention or do enough damage to set him up for defeat in the general election.

It starts with Biden declaring his reelection bid (which he seemed intent on doing anyway), thereby effectively eliminating a Democratic presidential primary. That then frees up Democrats to vote in the GOP primaries (as some, but not enough, did in deep-red Wyoming on Tuesday to support Cheney). In some cases, they will be able to vote in open primaries. In other states, they will need to re-register to vote in Republican primaries.

There is nothing nefarious about this. To the contrary, this would turn the Republican primary into a bipartisan affair and referendum on democracy. In essence, Cheney will be starting the general election against Trump right away.

This will no doubt raise several questions:

First, didn’t she try this in Wyoming? Not really. With more than 70 percent of voters registered as Republicans — and a Democratic primary in operation — the math simply did not work. But consider a state where the registration is heavily Democratic, such as New Jersey or New York. It would take only a fraction of those Democrats voting in the GOP primary to bring down Trump’s share of the vote. And remember, this is not so much about Cheney actually winning (a remote possibility) but about creating a national anti-Trump movement. As Eugene McCarthy did against President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1968, Cheney might undermine Trump’s coronation just by taking a significant share of the primary vote in early contests.

Second, would Democrats have to do this in every state? No. It wouldn’t make much sense for Democrats to replay the Wyoming primary, or to lend their effort in similarly deep-red states. However, if a significant number of Democrats were, for example, to help her out just in states with a robust Democratic registration, that might be enough to deny Trump a majority of the GOP delegates. It certainly would help educate the electorate as a whole, which is ultimately Cheney’s audience.

Finally, how does she run ostensibly for the Republican nomination without putting off her Democratic allies? She would likely run the same sort of one-issue campaign she did in Wyoming. It will need to be an explicit referendum on democracy, the rule of law and the risk of a second Trump term. That’s what she has in common with Democrats — and what her political career is now all about.

Again, Cheney likely wouldn’t run to win herself but to stop Trump from winning — in the primary if possible and, if not, in the general election. This wouldn’t be a traditional campaign. Her aim wouldn’t be self-promotion but Trump’s defeat. Her message wouldn’t be about policy but preserving democracy and weakening Trump’s grip on the party. As she said, there can be no serious policy debates unless we secure democracy first. And the GOP can never become a decent pro-democracy party so long as Trump remains its leader.

To accomplish this, Cheney will need to turn a partisan primary into a national crusade enlisting Republicans, Democrats and independents against Trump. It will take a unique primary strategy unlike anything we’ve seen to remove a unique threat to our democracy.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Didba said:

scrubs-dr-perrycox.gif.9b5798904c334512bb96e8a3828819e7.gif

this is too rich. Got so triggered you resorted to name calling. Typical. 

and yes multiple of your statements were lies. A 5 second google to do some research with credible sources refuted them.

further sir, I take offense at pompous, I prefer elitist.  /s

Moreover, “you are dismissed!” What are you a schoolteacher? Cmon bud. Do better. 

he got triggered and most of us do at one time or another. but what i want to know sir is what he is doing looking at your ass? do you work out? grins

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

What really bothers him about Omar is that she's not a white, anglo-saxon, protestant.

For these people, that doesn't make them real Americans, much less legitimate politicians.

If the "him" you are referring to is me, you don't know me very well (that is to say you don't know a damn thing about me).  I don't play identity politics.  I see people as people and not white, black, brown, yellow or green people.  That is what your ilk does.  You can bite me as well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, auburn41 said:

If the "him" you are referring to is me, you don't know me very well (that is to say you don't know a damn thing about me).  I don't play identity politics.  I see people as people and not white, black, brown, yellow or green people.  That is what your ilk does.  You can bite me as well!

thumbs-up-90s.gif.9c83fec62c810071f9df911e9d5e3241.gif

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 12:11 PM, icanthearyou said:

I am more concerned with them becoming the party of lies and misinformation, even more concerned with their anti-democracy position.

They are rapidly going through the entire playbook of how to turn a democracy into a autocracy.

You mean like these playbook items:

1) Falsifying documents and stories to slander your opposition and weaponize the legal process

2) Try to implement a “Ministry of Truth” to censor your opposition.

3) Gain the control / complicity of the media to shape the narrative, regardless of the real truth

4) Pander to identity / race / class politics to divide the population 

5) Dramatically extend the power of the government and its enforcement arm and weaponoize it against political opponents   Say, hypothetically of course, the IRS, FBI, etc  

6) Disregard laws you don’t feel like enforcing, regardless of your duty / oath to do so?  

things like that, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

How Democrats can help Liz Cheney bring down Trump

By Jennifer Rubin

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) all but announced her 2024 presidential run on Tuesday. But the big question looming over her potential candidacy is how she expects to take down defeated former president Donald Trump in a party still in his thrall.

She hinted at the answer on Tuesday:

As we leave here, let us resolve that we will stand together — Republicans, Democrats and independents — against those who would destroy our republic. They are angry and they are determined, but they have not seen anything like the power of Americans united in defense of our Constitution and committed to the cause of freedom. There is no greater power on this earth, and with God’s help, we will prevail.

In the context of a presidential primary, it will take not only decent Republicans but millions of Democrats — and even President Biden — to help her eliminate Trump in the primary, force the nomination to go to the convention or do enough damage to set him up for defeat in the general election.

It starts with Biden declaring his reelection bid (which he seemed intent on doing anyway), thereby effectively eliminating a Democratic presidential primary. That then frees up Democrats to vote in the GOP primaries (as some, but not enough, did in deep-red Wyoming on Tuesday to support Cheney). In some cases, they will be able to vote in open primaries. In other states, they will need to re-register to vote in Republican primaries.

There is nothing nefarious about this. To the contrary, this would turn the Republican primary into a bipartisan affair and referendum on democracy. In essence, Cheney will be starting the general election against Trump right away.

This will no doubt raise several questions:

First, didn’t she try this in Wyoming? Not really. With more than 70 percent of voters registered as Republicans — and a Democratic primary in operation — the math simply did not work. But consider a state where the registration is heavily Democratic, such as New Jersey or New York. It would take only a fraction of those Democrats voting in the GOP primary to bring down Trump’s share of the vote. And remember, this is not so much about Cheney actually winning (a remote possibility) but about creating a national anti-Trump movement. As Eugene McCarthy did against President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1968, Cheney might undermine Trump’s coronation just by taking a significant share of the primary vote in early contests.

Second, would Democrats have to do this in every state? No. It wouldn’t make much sense for Democrats to replay the Wyoming primary, or to lend their effort in similarly deep-red states. However, if a significant number of Democrats were, for example, to help her out just in states with a robust Democratic registration, that might be enough to deny Trump a majority of the GOP delegates. It certainly would help educate the electorate as a whole, which is ultimately Cheney’s audience.

Finally, how does she run ostensibly for the Republican nomination without putting off her Democratic allies? She would likely run the same sort of one-issue campaign she did in Wyoming. It will need to be an explicit referendum on democracy, the rule of law and the risk of a second Trump term. That’s what she has in common with Democrats — and what her political career is now all about.

Again, Cheney likely wouldn’t run to win herself but to stop Trump from winning — in the primary if possible and, if not, in the general election. This wouldn’t be a traditional campaign. Her aim wouldn’t be self-promotion but Trump’s defeat. Her message wouldn’t be about policy but preserving democracy and weakening Trump’s grip on the party. As she said, there can be no serious policy debates unless we secure democracy first. And the GOP can never become a decent pro-democracy party so long as Trump remains its leader.

To accomplish this, Cheney will need to turn a partisan primary into a national crusade enlisting Republicans, Democrats and independents against Trump. It will take a unique primary strategy unlike anything we’ve seen to remove a unique threat to our democracy.

Liz Cheney bring down Trump? Jennifer must have smoked breakfast with Fiddy this morning. Maybe you joined them seeing you posted the article. Democrats are through wit Liz.

• Like 2

This is rich. Per Newsweek 'Liz Cheney Voted With Trump 93 Percent of Her Congressional Career.'

Yet because she is standing up to this very same Trump, leader of the rebellion attempt, she is voted out of office. I  thought the citizens of Wyoming would have a bit more sense than what they exhibited Tuesday

6 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

This is rich. Per Newsweek 'Liz Cheney Voted With Trump 93 Percent of Her Congressional Career.'

Yet because she is standing up to this very same Trump, leader of the rebellion attempt, she is voted out of office. I  thought the citizens of Wyoming would have a bit more sense than what they exhibited Tuesday

Maybe they just liked the other candidate better?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

Maybe they just liked the other candidate better?

That must be it.  And maybe the reason Emily Ratajkowski never fell in love with you is simply because she never met you? :dunno:

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Liz Cheney bring down Trump? Jennifer must have smoked breakfast with Fiddy this morning. Maybe you joined them seeing you posted the article. Democrats are through wit Liz.

She's (obviously) not planning on Democratic votes, she's planning on Republican votes.

Cheney was prepared to sacrifice her existing political position to take on Trump for either ideological and/or personal reasons. Running for president would address both, ideological and personal.   

Considering there's no political future for her outside of a reformed Republican party, running for POTUS makes a lot of sense for her personally.

(And while I suppose it possible, I kind of doubt you're all that much politically smarter than Jennifer Rubin.)

Edited by homersapien

12 hours ago, GoAU said:

You mean like these playbook items:

1) Falsifying documents and stories to slander your opposition and weaponize the legal process

2) Try to implement a “Ministry of Truth” to censor your opposition.

3) Gain the control / complicity of the media to shape the narrative, regardless of the real truth

4) Pander to identity / race / class politics to divide the population 

5) Dramatically extend the power of the government and its enforcement arm and weaponoize it against political opponents   Say, hypothetically of course, the IRS, FBI, etc  

6) Disregard laws you don’t feel like enforcing, regardless of your duty / oath to do so?  

things like that, right?

:-\

No, that's a list of vague, unsubstantiated and unproven allegations. (Aka political propaganda.)

All compared to the Jan. 6 insurrection and the blatant lie about a stolen election, which is what Trump and his myrmidons continue to run on.

(You sound exactly like EMT btw.)

Edited by homersapien
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Trump style "trumps" Trump substance. ;)  That's the essence of his appeal.

Wyoming Republicans reflected that. Liz violated it by simply telling the truth.

Edited by homersapien
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

She's (obviously) not planning on Democratic votes, she's planning on Republican votes.

Cheney was prepared to sacrifice her existing political position to take on Trump for either ideological and/or personal reasons. Running for president would address both, ideological and personal.   

Considering there's no political future for her outside of a reformed Republican party, running for POTUS makes a lot of sense for her personally.

(And while I suppose it possible, I'm not sure you're all that much smarter politically than Jennifer Rubin.)

Did not claim to be “smarter”. The dream would take “decent” republicans and millions of democrats. Inferring all democrats are “decent” I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Did not claim to be “smarter”. The dream would take “decent” republicans and millions of democrats. Inferring all democrats are “decent” I suppose. 

What is the "dream"?

Why would "millions" of Democrats be required for Liz to foil Trump and set herself up to play a significant role in the post-Trump Republican party?

It sounds like you are assuming Liz would run only on the expectation of being elected. 

I don't think Rubin's piece even implied that.  It implied what I suggested - 1) eliminate Trump and 2) position herself as a major factor in the "new" Republican*  party.

*(I'd like to use "GOP" for short, but I can't bring myself to do it. They've forfeited all rights to the acronym's meaning.)