Does Calzada play on Saturday?

Barnacle

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How bout if both offenses struggle and its 3-3  after 1st quarter? Harsin brings in Calzada for a spark? Coming in down by 2 or 3 scores ain't fair to the kid

Throw that into "unlikely"

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

According to reports, Calzada has seen a significant increase in first team reps this week. This may support what I've suspected will happen in the case Finley gets his leash pulled: Calzada will take on Finley's role as the primary quarterback and passer, and Ashford will continue to play reps in his specialized role as a change of pace, and primarily running quarterback. 

For those wondering about the status and health of Calzada, this news certainly suggests that he is getting healthy and may now be an actual threat for playing time. 

I for one would love to see that. I don’t know a ton about ZC, but what I’ve read is that he has talent. Coming off of an injury and learning a new O, may have been too much too quick. Would be great to see him do well and make Jimbo regret letting him transfer so easy, but then again Jimbos a clown. Then again I would love to see TJ have a good game, so it doesn’t come to that. Whatever it takes is my opinion now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Didba said:

If Harsin has confidence Calzada can play a clean game (no turnovers) and run the full offense, I can see where he would be tempted to trot him out there.

One interception and its likely ballgame. For either side.

How could he have that confidence in this situation? I don’t think he plays him unless TJ falters ( with a very short leash). Everyone knows what is riding on this game for Harsin (and Franklin i might add).

So apparently he wasn’t good enough or healthy enough to make the first or second spot. Now he is getting 1/3rd of starters rep against one of our biggest test of the seasons. Makes sense. If we are throwing darts out , might as well let the freshman get his reps too. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Having no idea if you have an SEC capable starting QB on the roster going into week 3 sure is a great feeling. 

If it (not knowing Calzada capabilities at this point) was caused by injuries  (however they happened) noone could know. Just have to move forward from here. Definitely tells us he is looking for possible option if TJ falters.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

How could he have that confidence in this situation? I don’t think he plays him unless TJ falters ( with a very short leash). Everyone knows what is riding on this game for Harsin (and Franklin i might add).

No clue, it was massive conjecture to how we could see Calzada. Very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

So apparently he wasn’t good enough or healthy enough to make the first or second spot. Now he is getting 1/3rd of starters rep against one of our biggest test of the seasons. Makes sense. If we are throwing darts out , might as well let the freshman get his reps too. 

It was casually reported/mentioned that Calzada has had some team meeting issues  and may be why he is being held back.

Edited by GreenTiger

I don't know what to think.  I said a couple weeks ago that TJ would not be the starter after the Penn State game, but that was before I saw how little confidence the coaches have in Ashford's throwing ability.  It seems they view him as only a change-of-pace runner who just happens to line up behind center.

From purely a fan perspective, I don't think either TJ or Ashford are legit SEC starters.  If neither can get much going against Penn State, I guess we could see Calzada.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I do believe Holden is the very near future of AU’s QB, but I would let him continue to learn and play him when possible. I do not think TJ is the QB next year. 

3 hours ago, meh130 said:

TJ, Robbie, and Calzada all playing Saturday?

It's happening!

image.png.878eb747547c296836dbe073fa93560f.png

Hard to believe that game came down to the last play. If we had competent QB play in 2016 we probably go 10-2. 

• Like 2

If TJ does not start, we will have to redo some of the Jumbotron videos.

For what my opinion is worth, I think TJ still needs to start.  Have Calzada ready, but start TJ. 

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For what my opinion is worth, I think TJ still needs to start.  Have Calzada ready, but start TJ. 

Are u hearing anything that suggests Calzada is gonna start? I thought the rumor was Calzada would be in the bullpen. First  I heard of him possibly starting

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Oh I don’t think there is any question that TJ starts. Absolutely.

I'm leaning towards alot of this being reported may be bull

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1