Who do you start next week at qb?

gr82b4au

Unless his arm is falling off you give Calzada 100% of first teams snaps all week and hope he can save your season and job if you're Harsin.  I'll give TJ credit for showing grit and making some really good plays yesterday but he's not consistent enough and his mistakes are bad.  Ashford needs a full season of riding the bench and learning how to be a QB.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I’m not defending this dude or saying I miss him when I say this…but so many of us said the same thing last 3 years, the issue wasn’t the QB, it was the o-line. We are having very very similar issues we’ve had for the last few years with different QB’s. Same issues, different QB’s. Sooooo much of good quarterback play comes from good o-line play. Just average play would be better than what we’ve had. We have many many offensive issues but it starts with the same common dominator we’ve had for the last few years…o-line. 

Agree,

Most fans (90% on this site) only look at the qbs, wrs and rbs on offense to shape their opinion of a team. When in fact it's always, always the offensive line that is the foundation of that side of the ball. The fans on this site have been told for years what the problem is but instead the complain about things that are way down the list of the most important issues.

On defense it's the same, where the defensive line is the foundation. However, this year our defense is below average in every position not just the defensive line. IMO.

You start TJ. Unless Holden is Cam..you start TJ. Change the offense to quick throws. 3 seconds, 4 at most the ball should be out. And for goodness sakes if you're going to use Robby...use him correctly! 

We're not going to be able to fix the QBs so fix the dang scheme. If we have to dink and donk defenses to death, then so be it. We have play makers at WRs to make a 5 or 6 yard throw into bigger plays. You have Tank and Quez to compliment that. This offense has zero rhythm and whenever it does, the coaches make a dumb play call to kill momentum. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

You start TJ. Unless Holden is Cam..you start TJ. Change the offense to quick throws. 3 seconds, 4 at most the ball should be out. And for goodness sakes if you're going to use Robby...use him correctly! 

We're not going to be able to fix the QBs so fix the dang scheme. If we have to dink and donk defenses to death, then so be it. We have play makers at WRs to make a 5 or 6 yard throw into bigger plays. You have Tank and Quez to compliment that. This offense has zero rhythm and whenever it does, the coaches make a dumb play call to kill momentum. 

The idea you have is the correct one. Only problem is for the quick throw offense you have to have 4-5 wide. Bunch sets and so forth. We can’t block for 2.5 seconds with 7 blockers right now and teams are going to dare us to beat them over the top

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

If you're going to say that then just say you don't think he is a very smart football player. He can still be a smart person. 

I agree. Poor choice of words on my part. I really meant I just don’t think he is the most cerebral QB. You can be a great athlete, like Nix was, but I don’t think he was very cerebral at the position either. Anyway, he has to be benched at this point. Why not see what ZC can do? He certainly can’t be much worse than the two we’ve seen so far, but then again, we will have a new coach next year. Doesn’t really do any good to hire him now. 

• Like 1

He needs to stop this insane QB rotation IMO.  I get TJ is not a world beater but I feel like you need to at least give him a chance to get into a rhythm.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Unless his arm is falling off you give Calzada 100% of first teams snaps all week and hope he can save your season and job if you're Harsin.  I'll give TJ credit for showing grit and making some really good plays yesterday but he's not consistent enough and his mistakes are bad.  Ashford needs a full season of riding the bench and learning how to be a QB.  

Ashford has been on the bench at UO already

4 hours ago, creed said:

Agree,

Most fans (90% on this site) only look at the qbs, wrs and rbs on offense to shape their opinion of a team. When in fact it's always, always the offensive line that is the foundation of that side of the ball. The fans on this site have been told for years what the problem is but instead the complain about things that are way down the list of the most important issues.

On defense it's the same, where the defensive line is the foundation. However, this year our defense is below average in every position not just the defensive line. IMO.

Yep. I coach 4A ball in the state. I try to break down auburns film like I do my own team sometimes…& breaking down our o-line…buddy it’s bad. Even our fundamentals are bad, taking the wrong first step. Hand placement, foot work. Just everything. I know those guys are getting coached to do those things they just aren’t doing them. It’s just not pretty.

Edited by TAYLORKEETON

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

If not, go with TJ and leave him in there 

6 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Yep. I coach 4A ball in the state. I try to break down auburns film like I do my own team sometimes…& breaking down our o-line…buddy it’s bad. Even our fundamentals are bad, taking the wrong first step. Hand placement, foot work. Just everything. I know those guys are getting coached to do those things they just aren’t doing them. It’s just not pretty.

How much is lack of talent. And how much of it is coaching

Start TJ, and use RA Strategically. Mainly not after a successful pass down field. I spend most of the games watching the offense/defensive fronts and even I questioned taking TJ out after a successful play. 

10 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Start TJ, and use RA Strategically. Mainly not after a successful pass down field. I spend most of the games watching the offense/defensive fronts and even I questioned taking TJ out after a successful play. 

It's like the new quick snap and run it up the middle. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Now you see it, right? It's amazing what you see after breaking down and grading film a few years. It's hard to just "watch" a game.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

How much is lack of talent. And how much of it is coaching

Well, Friend has had some dynamic lines in the past, They were filled with studs though. So the scheme seemed to work when there is talent and work really well when you have great talent. I'd assume the inverse is also correct.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, Friend has had some dynamic lines in the past, They were filled with studs though. So the scheme seemed to work when there is talent and work really well when you have great talent. I'd assume the inverse is also correct.

Don't much work without talent. Talent will cover scheme flaws. But OL is little different.  It's like a 5 positions have to be in sync or it don't work

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Hand placement, footwork? You're talking OL 201...we haven't passed OL 101 yet. OL 101 covers player attributes, which include size, quickness and strength. These have to be evaluated early in the recruiting process. If a player doesn't process or isn't expected to develop any of thes attributes you have to take a pass and keep recruiting.

Edited by creed

5 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This.

And running plays that provide angles to the OLs.

West Coast offense.

6 hours ago, creed said:

always the offensive line that is the foundation of that side of the ball.

I am pretty sure that many of us have been complaining about offensive line Recruiting for the last five years and are well aware what the main problem is… It just isn’t getting any better. It’s now worse under Harsin Which I did not think was possible.

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I am pretty sure that many of us have been complaining about offensive line Recruiting for the last five years and are well aware what the main problem is… It just isn’t getting any better. It’s now worse under Harsin Which I did not think was possible.

The million dollar question to be answered is, can Harsin recruit? Everybody is watching for sure.

7 minutes ago, creed said:

The million dollar question to be answered is, can Harsin recruit? Everybody is watching for sure.

I thought that was obvious by now. This will be his second full class (the first one is not on him, that was on Gus). 
We have 1 OL in this class. 
None (zero) last class. 
I’ve never even heard of that. At least Gus signed a few Juco players that were not good when he struck out at HS for years. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I thought that was obvious by now. This will be his second full class (the first one is not on him, that was on Gus). 
We have 1 OL in this class. 
None (zero) last class. 
I’ve never even heard of that. At least Gus signed a few Juco players that were not good when he struck out at HS for years. 

For sure he is behind the eight ball. The made up media fiasco earlier this year did not help, but somehow he needs to get recruiting on some track of respectability.

10 hours ago, nurbis said:

Offensive production steadily declined as line recruiting steadily declined. Below is our per game average for rushing, passing, and total. For context, in 2020, Ole Miss had 545 yards per game on offense and bama had 532.

rush       pass     total

2013 - 328.4  - 164.1 - 492.5

2014 - 255.8  - 222.5  - 478.3

2015 - 196.3  - 162.8  - 359.1

2016 - 271.3   - 159.1  -  430.4

2017 - 218.3   - 217.4  - 435.7

2018 - 167.5  - 209.5  - 377

2019 - 199.1  - 197.0  - 396.1

2020 - 162.5  - 211.1  - 373.2

The offensive line is the biggest issue, it will take years to fix, and we are going to be a bad team until it is. Friend should have been replaced last year for the lack of recruiting and the recruiting will likely be the same this year.  

I posted in another thread, I refuse to believe that the Auburn brand in recruiting, can’t get us a strong four-star and a couple higher ranked three stars per recruiting class. Then raid the portal and junior colleges for the top three say… 3 star talented linemen that are willing to come to Auburn and work their tales off to become a good strong offensive line. Buddy Ryan used to say: I refuse to spend a number one through number three draft pick on Offensive Linemen. He went on to say: I get the guys in the fourth round and below that are hungry, bright and hard working; they will come to my team and work their @sses off for the team.

10 hours ago, woodford said:

Gus left this program a disaster but Harsin hasn’t done anything to help. They should have lived in the transfer portal for OL guys. You can pay players now. That is pathetic. 

As I posted in another thread, Gus left Harsin with enough talent to beat Ole Miss when they were top 10 or near a top 10 team, beat LSU in Baton Rouge, beat Penn State in Happy Valley and beat the turds in Auburn. Harsin squandered the losses away with poor coaching, and he continued to squander a ton of talent to the portal, that he never replenished.

So many people are so quick to point out: oh, oh, oh if Bo didn’t get hurt, Harsin would have only lost like three games last year. Really? Well I thought Gus didn’t leave him the talent to do that?

• Like 1