Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

He'll be safe at Kentucky where 7 win seasons equal success.

Probably right, but a little success changes the metrics, and expectations. 

That being said, he's exactly where he needs to be. 

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 1

What pisses me off is we could have easily had Billy Napier instead of Harsin.  He would have probably been cheaper at that point too!  He took a Louisiana team that had 3 straight losing record seasons prior to his arrival to a 7-7 team his first year, to 11-3 in his 2nd year, to 10-1 in 3rd year, to freakin' 13-1 in the 4th year.  Every year they made a bowl game.  Every year his teams were disciplined and tough, and they averaged 30 points a game or more every year.  It seemed to be the most obvious damn pick there was if AU was going with a lessor-known up and coming coach.  Well, of course we get Harsin instead which we all know was a big risk to start with given his lack of connections in the deep south for both recruiting and relating to the culture in this area of the country.  Napier is now busy at Florida building that program back into a title contender while winning at the same time with Mullen's recruits.  Florida was 6-7 last year, and with essentially the same guys and some transfers/freshman Napier already has them at 4-2 this year and looking like they will finish in the top half of the SEC.  Sorry for the rant, but I had to vent a little.  As far as who would come coach Auburn now I think you have to find someone up and coming or someone that needs a second chance after having some rules issues.  Obviously, I mean Hugh Freeze with that last part.  I just don't think anyone well-established with a big name is going to come here with our terrible reputation regarding the treatment of coaches.   Giving Freeze a 2nd chance in the SEC might just be the best option.  Look at how amazing Pearl has done with basketball since being given his 2nd chance....

Edited by BHDAU1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

I’d put Freeze, Kiffin, M Stoops, Deion, Grimes  and Aranda ahead of him.

I like Prime, Aranda, and Grimes a lot!  Grimes doesn’t have HC experience, but he has excelled at everything else.  
I am liking Kiffin more and more.   I think he has matured into a very good coach.   
Freeze would be ok.   
I’m cooling on Stoops a little bit.  They looked bad without Levis!

Along with Rhule, I wouldn’t complain about any of those 7.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

What pisses me off is we could have easily had Billy Napier instead of Harsin.  He would have probably been cheaper at that point too!  He took a Louisiana team that had 3 straight losing record seasons prior to his arrival to a 7-7 team his first year, to 11-3 in his 2nd year, to 10-1 in 3rd year, to freakin' 13-1 in the 4th year.  Every year they made a bowl game.  Every year his teams were disciplined and tough, and they averaged 30 points a game or more every year.  It seemed to be the most obvious damn pick there was if AU was going with a lessor-known up and coming coach.  Well, of course we get Harsin instead which we all know was a big risk to start with given his lack of connections in the deep south for both recruiting and relating to the culture in this area of the country.  Napier is now busy at Florida building that program back into a title contender while winning at the same time with Mullen's recruits.  Florida was 6-7 last year, and with essentially the same guys and some transfers/freshman Napier already has them at 4-2 this year and looking like they will finish in the top half of the SEC.  Sorry for the rant, but I had to vent a little.  As far as who would come coach Auburn now I think you have to find someone up and coming or someone that needs a second chance after having some rules issues.  Obviously, I mean Hugh Freeze with that last part.  I just don't think anyone well-established with a big name is going to come here with our terrible reputation regarding the treatment of coaches.   Giving Freeze a 2nd chance in the SEC might just be the best option.  Look at how amazing Pearl has done with basketball since being given his 2nd chance....

What Pearl did was very minor and was not a huge moral failing. It never should've been as big of a deal as it was. There were other coaches doing much more egregious things and getting away with all of it. 

But what Hugh Freee did.....and continues to do.....is very troublesome. He does not belong at Auburn. He's bad news.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

To be fair, in his 3rd year at Baylor he only played 2– Oklahoma & UGA — and was competitive against both.

BFF981B0-8312-49B4-9743-146E57E873AF.jpeg

At least he already knows how to lose to Uga. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's just no proof of concept to me that he can recruit on this level. I think he's far and away superior to Harsin in regards to finding "trait" players and building them up, but I don't know what the realized version of that looks like in the SEC. That's just not a strategy any of the big 6 in conference have won with since the SEC has become cutthroat

I'm trying to separate my general disdain for how much of an idiot he was as a NFL manager of players and situations, from what was clear college success, but yes, he should definitely be in the top ~3 of who you have on your list. I think you can contend Aranda has become the defensive version of what he offers, while having much more experience bringing in the talent we'll need to compete 

• Like 1

Deion will remain atop my #1 list and he can go ahead and bring his offensive coordiantor w him too. Oh how sweet sweet sweet the recruiting would be. It would split the sec asunder -- a mighty earthquake of "oh sh*t", 30 for 30's would be made ala miami's epic run..  The sun and the stars would shine upon us and turn their gaze in disbelief -- the moon would turn to crimson blood as the life drains out of the bammers. 

Okay sorry got off the rails there at the end

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting. Temple & Baylor (his 2 college HC gigs) were horrible in every way, shape & form the first 2 seasons he coached them, before big-time turnarounds in season 3. I remember watching Baylor get absolutely dismembered end of his 2d year. His recruiting is better than average w/ a few blue chippers but not top tier SEC caliber. Y'all were going postal 2 games into Harsin's 2d season (after he took Bama to 4 OTs in season 1), what makes you think you have the capacity for adult deferred gratification historically needed for gRuhl?

There has literally not been a single sign of progression from this program from that Iron Bowl (including the stinker of a bowl game that played out like every other L during that streak and almost every L during this season). 

• Like 2

If Harsin is fired NOW and Ruhle is hired NOW, this could be a maybe-kinda-sorta prop for immediate recruiting. Maybe a better prop for recruiting over the next year or two,

Can he do with Auburn what he did with Houston? Ummmm .... diffrent conference, different circumstance.

Frankly, I don't think he would take the Auburn job. Between the AU PTB constant BS and the challenge of recruiting in the SEC -- I just don't think he would go for the Auburn job.

That said, if he DOES, I'm 100% behind him!

3 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Why is no one talking about M. Stoops? I mean really, why isn't anyone talking about Stoops?

Stoops will never bring uk to a point where they’re actually competing for sec championships. I’m from Louisville and have been a fan my whole life. I went to auburn and am now a bigger auburn fan. Stoops has made a living beating 3 out of conference Rudy poos, a trash uscjr, a trash Tennessee, a trash Missouri and unfortunately as of recent a trash Louisville. His teams consistently make bone headed mistakes that cost them games and he can never get out of the way of his own offense. A few years ago they lost to Florida because they only put 10 men on the field when florida had the ball on the two and then they did it again when florida had a two point conversion. Stoops is not a big time coach. He’s a mediocre coach who’s benefited from a down sec east and a trash ooc schedule. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Considering that he grew up, and has spent his entire coaching career in the state of Ohio, he might be quite happy there.

Fickell? No.

10 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

They asked an Auburn expert about who would actually get hired … The list was exhaustive and a few names included:

Kevin Steele

Rhett Lashlee

Chip Lindsey

Brian Van Gorder

Ted Roof

Tommy Thigpen

Gene Chizik 

Cadillac Williams

Will Muschamp

Travaris Robinson

Travis Williams

Kenny Dillingham 

Stacy Searles

Zac Etheridge

Jeff Grimes

Trooper Taylor

Trooper Towel

Dell McGee 

I love Will Muschamp as a DC but he should have never been a HC anywhere.

• Like 1

Just heard on Cover 3 podcast that Rhule was 1-27 in the NFL when the opposing team scored more than 17 points lol

I don't care what a coach does in the NFL (Saban, Urban, Spurrier) because he can coach in college. I'm not wild about Rhule but I'm sure he'll get a call.

It seems to me like there is not a splash hire that everyone agrees would be great for AU.  I personally don't think that's a good sign.  It's a guessing game at this point, every candidate has unknowns that won't play out until they are hired and we're a couple years in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Why is no one talking about M. Stoops? I mean really, why isn't anyone talking about Stoops?

Because he's not a recruiter.

12 hours ago, BHDAU1 said:

You guys are INSANE if you want to give Hugh Freeze the keys to this car. He can't even behave at LIBERTY for Christ sake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Don't want this resting confused face coach Matt Rhule leading our program. Not at all. 

We need a culture reset and not another version of what the Boise boys are doing with signing "overlooked" guys and "coaching them up". Not to mention he makes some of the most idiotic decisions I've ever seen. 

If we didn't like a Boise State staff roaming our sideline just keep in mind Matt Rhule will be doing the same thing except with guys from TEMPLE. No thanks

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm no expert, but I have a little bit of recent Baylor experience. My son played for Rhule and Aranda.  I've said it before, I like Rhule as a candidate at AU.  Baylor was a hotter, stinkier dumpster fire than AU when he took over. He could absolutely turn the program around... but it might take three years before we see double digit wins, SEC championships and playoffs.  Could we be that patient? Probably not. 

Aranda is a weird, introverted, and extremely intelligent dude. I think he is a great head coach, but he's a different kind of guy.  He has built on Rhule's success and made Baylor into a legit top 25 program. I pause here for emphasis.... there is no way he is leaving Baylor for Auburn.  If he had any plans of leaving Baylor, he would have taken the USC job when offered. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Don't want this resting confused face coach Matt Rhule leading our program. Not at all. 

We need a culture reset and not another version of what the Boise boys are doing with signing "overlooked" guys and "coaching them up". Not to mention he makes some of the most idiotic decisions I've ever seen. 

If we didn't like a Boise State staff roaming our sideline just keep in mind Matt Rhule will be doing the same thing except with guys from TEMPLE. No thanks

Sorry Nick Saban is not available. I think a hire of his magnitude is the only thing that will reset the culture at Auburn, primarily because of all the outside hands on the program.

2 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

I'm no expert, but I have a little bit of recent Baylor experience. My son played for Rhule and Aranda.  I've said it before, I like Rhule as a candidate at AU.  Baylor was a hotter, stinkier dumpster fire than AU when he took over. He could absolutely turn the program around... but it might take three years before we see double digit wins, SEC championships and playoffs.  Could we be that patient? Probably not. 

Aranda is a weird, introverted, and extremely intelligent dude. I think he is a great head coach, but he's a different kind of guy.  He has built on Rhule's success and made Baylor into a legit top 25 program. I pause here for emphasis.... there is no way he is leaving Baylor for Auburn.  If he had any plans of leaving Baylor, he would have taken the USC job when offered. 

Great insight - 

31 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We need a culture reset and not another version of what the Boise boys are doing with signing "overlooked" guys and "coaching them up". Not to mention he makes some of the most idiotic decisions I've ever@a seen. 

Bruh, terrible take. Matt Rhule hasn't been at Temple since 2016. Also, he hired the offensive mastermind of the 2019 LSU team to run his offense in Carolina... And everyone was wanting Joe Brady at their school including Auburn.

If your concern is that he is going to hire a bunch of yesmen from directional schools, you are simply incorrect.

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Bruh, terrible take. Matt Rhule hasn't been at Temple since 2016. Also, he hired the offensive mastermind of the 2019 LSU team to run his offense in Carolina... And everyone was wanting Joe Brady at their school including Auburn.

If your concern is that he is going to hire a bunch of yesmen from directional schools, you are simply incorrect.

The dude littered his Panthers roster with former Temple players who would otherwise not be on anybody's active roster. I've seen enough to know not to walk into this trap.

He's another Harsin to me. He just happened to get an NFL job for some unknown reason. I get guys like Saban and Urban getting calls from NFL teams but Matt Rhule??? c'mon

Edited by Tiger
  • Thanks 1