Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Thanks, good analysis,  saved me alot of research. 

Read here for a quick summary. Pay attention to the offensive improvement and player development.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jeff-grimes/1824

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

Let’s see Chizik was here with Tubs at a time Auburn achieved an undefeated season. Hire Chizik. Gus was with Chizik when we won the natty. Hire Gus. Get to the natty and two SEC title games, winning one. Then Gus flames out. So now we get off the formula and hire Harsin, and it does not work. So now let’s go back to the same formula we have used the past two decades or so. Hire a coach that was part of a successful regime at Auburn (albeit temporary) All which worked in the interim but never led to sustained success. If hired we shall see if the formula of picking from the same tree yields different results. I like Grimes, did a good job while here, and I will get behind the hire. But let’s look at what others did…LSU - hired a coach who had been to the playoff twice, maybe 3 times. UGA hired a coordinator who was part of several championship teams at Bama. OSU promotes an OC who was part of a National title, Michigan hired an established NFL and college coach who had been to a SB. I just want Auburn to air higher this time around and if we miss so be it, but let’s not settle and not shoot for the big fish.

There are no big fish to shoot for.  The ones who have won National Titles either are still at the programs they won at and are not leaving or after winning went down hill Chizik and Malzan.  Grimes has made every program he has been at better because of his recruiting especially on O-line, he has put 17 O_line into NFL which counts when talking to recruits and hiss offense has worked at multiple programs. Grimes has experience with SEC Auburn and LSU and has been away from Auburn long enough that we would not be hiring him as a good ole boy. 

The other candidates that people are talking about Deion ( I like a lot but no big time coaching experience at an SEC level Program), Freeze (with a lot of baggage), Kiffen (solid coach but never won anything major), Rhule (Probably best pedigree and I think would be a really good hire).

With me it is Grimes or Rhule and I think a solid case could be made for either. I just lean a little more towards Grimes.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Read here for a quick summary. Pay attention to the offensive improvement and player development.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jeff-grimes/1824

Hopefully he didn’t publish his RVO scheme in a book. Historically, that usually doesn’t work out too well. See Erwin Rommel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

While the transfer portal era sample size is still pretty small I am fairly certain that there have not been a plethora of SEC quality OL and QBs available.  Sure, there are some, but not enough that you can just assume that all of our woes could be fixed through it in one or even two seasons.

Who said anything about all of our woes? 

That ALONG with recruiting makes a huge difference. Look around college football. You can argue semantics all you want to, but my point remains and it is valid. If you wanna win or improve there is a "new" path to it. It is an option that has helped several teams improve in a season or two since its inception in its new form. You either adapt or you don't. We're not landing the 5 stars people crave so much in the key positions on the OL/DL/etc... How do you combat that? Experience. The same goes for anything. Even if we did land a few five stars it would still take a little time for MOST of them to adjust and get meaningful time. If you are starting an inexperienced 18 year old on the line in the SEC regardless of recruiting ranking you're in trouble most times than not.

It will take a couple of seasons for the right coach to turn this around. The portal will assist in that.

I think its hilarious people want to hire Deion Sanders who has only ever won at Jackson State. Has never coached at the D1-A level let alone the SEC. Has never beaten anyone of note. Yet, bash Rhule who has won at Temple and Baylor. Brought them both out of the gutter at that. 

What you DON"T do is hire an offensive coach who runs a gimmicky, trick play offense, because that's what your defense practices against.

You need a guy who can run pro-set offenses and can recruit players who want to go PRO

Is Grimes that guy?

6 minutes ago, Stephen66 said:

What you DON"T do is hire an offensive coach who runs a gimmicky, trick play offense, because that's what your defense practices against.

You need a guy who can run pro-set offenses and can recruit players who want to go PRO

Is Grimes that guy?

I would much rather have a coastal carolina type offense than a traditional pro style offense. The prostyle continues to be tried at auburn and continues to fell at auburn because we dont have the depth required nor the appropriate qb. 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

You're right! Should've started off with that one

I had to google, but not to my surprise the BB coaching favorite not only currently coaches but played in Texas too!!!

Probably soft af

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There are no big fish to shoot for.  The ones who have won National Titles either are still at the programs they won at and are not leaving or after winning went down hill Chizik and Malzan.  Grimes has made every program he has been at better because of his recruiting especially on O-line, he has put 17 O_line into NFL which counts when talking to recruits and hiss offense has worked at multiple programs. Grimes has experience with SEC Auburn and LSU and has been away from Auburn long enough that we would not be hiring him as a good ole boy. 

The other candidates that people are talking about Deion ( I like a lot but no big time coaching experience at an SEC level Program), Freeze (with a lot of baggage), Kiffen (solid coach but never won anything major), Rhule (Probably best pedigree and I think would be a really good hire).

With me it is Grimes or Rhule and I think a solid case could be made for either. I just lean a little more towards Grimes.

I have to go with the one who has proven he can do it. That is no disrespect to Grimes, he just matches the previous Auburn coaching formula and that just spooks me a little. However I could get on board if he is actually hired. Oddly USC, LSU, and Miami got their candidate when needed but we can’t. One coach I also like is Lanning at Oregon. He can recruit, and would not be afraid to lock horns with Kirby and Nick on the trail. Just don’t think he would bounce on Oregon so soon.  

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I have to go with the one who has proven he can do it. That is no disrespect to Grimes, he just matches the previous Auburn coaching formula and that just spooks me a little. However I could get on board if he is actually hired. Oddly USC, LSU, and Miami got their candidate when needed but we can’t. One coach I also like is Lanning at Oregon. He can recruit, and would not be afraid to lock horns with Kirby and Nick on the trail. Just don’t think he would bounce on Oregon so soon.  

he would be a fool to do so.

5 hours ago, metafour said:

They lost their Top 3 receivers (one of which was a 2nd round pick) and Top 2 RB's from last year's roster, all of whom graduated. That is a lot to lose for a school like Baylor all in one year; this isn't Alabama where they can just reload with the next batch of 5-stars the following year and everything keeps turning without a hitch.

Your "stats" on BYU are completely wrong as well. He was there from 2018-2020. 2020 was the season that Zach Wilson ended up being drafted 2nd overall and BYU was ranked in the ~Top 5 in total offense. So BYU most definitely did not "struggle" in his final season there. He started at Baylor the following year, in 2021.

Look at the teams they played. Stars can be deceiving. When they played good teams, they started struggling on offense in his second seasons. Kind of reminds me of a former coach who had the same issue. Sorry, you’re wrong on your assessment. I mean, I can just look at this year for my facts that teams adjust to his offenses. He struggled to score against BYU and Oklahoma State, teams that have weak defenses, yet, he’s some kind of offensive mastermind. I just wish people like you and others would be objective.

I find it funny too that no one ever mentions, but there is a reason why he’s never been a head coach. According to many on this board, he is a hot shot can’t miss coach, yet never has been a head coach. Something doesn’t add up and it’s probably because he’s one of those guys who is career position/coordinator and his skills do not extrapolate for being a head coach…

Edited by Auburnguy101
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I find it funny too that no one ever mentions, but there is a reason why he’s never been a head coach. According to many on this board, he is a hot shot can’t miss coach, yet never has been a head coach. Something doesn’t add up and it’s probably because he’s one of those guys who is career position/coordinator and his skills do not extrapolate for being a head coach…

In what world does this make sense to you? How many Head Coaches in Football exist that were not "career position/coordinator[s]" prior to becoming HCs? What was Kirby Smart before he became the HC at UGA? 

Certainly, JG's lack of head coaching experience is the big knock on him as a candidate. No single person on this board has stated that he's a "hot shot can't miss coach." There are pluses and minuses for every coach listed, and we've been through them ad nauseum at this point.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tsande07 said:

In what world does this make sense to you? How many Head Coaches in Football exist that were not "career position/coordinator[s]" prior to becoming HCs? What was Kirby Smart before he became the HC at UGA? 

Certainly, JG's lack of head coaching experience is the big knock on him as a candidate. No single person on this board has stated that he's a "hot shot can't miss coach." There are pluses and minuses for every coach listed, and we've been through them ad nauseum at this point.

Kirby Smart was literally sought after every year at UAT, just like Lincoln Riley and other coordinators who stayed at their respective jobs until they got the job they wanted. Grimes name is never mentioned for a head coaching job and has bounced around his entire coaching career as a position coach/ coordinator, which should tell you something…

1 minute ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Kirby Smart was literally sought after every year at UAT, just like Lincoln Riley and other coordinators who stayed at their respective jobs until they got the job they wanted. Grimes name is never mentioned for a head coaching job and has bounced around his entire coaching career as a position coach/ coordinator, which should tell you something…

You'd be surprised...he's been mentioned for both ASU and Colorado.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You'd be surprised...he's been mentioned for both ASU and Colorado.

From what source? I haven’t or I have missed it. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. But still, even he was mentioned for those types of jobs, that should tell you what kind of prestige his name holds. I’m sorry, I don’t get the appeal of him. He’d just be another meh hire. Auburn needs something different unless you and others are ok with 7-8 win seasons and average recruiting…

14 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Auburn needs something different unless you and others are ok with 7-8 win seasons and average recruiting…

Plenty of Auburn fans are okay with this, they are/were Gus Malzahn fans.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

From what source? I haven’t or I have missed it. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. But still, even he was mentioned for those types of jobs, that should tell you what kind of prestige his name holds. I’m sorry, I don’t get the appeal of him. He’d just be another meh hire. Auburn needs something different unless you and others are ok with 7-8 win seasons and average recruiting…

I understand if you're not "excited" by him. He is a proven high level recruiter wherever he's been, including in the SEC. On the other hand, he's certainly not the "biggest name" on the list. 

More importantly, for all our sanities, you're not Nostradamus. You don't know how many wins any of the coaches in consideration would get per year. I wish we could have reasonable, fact-based discussions here and people would stop with this kind of thing.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whats going on .But now we are expecting a commitment from a top 100 player soon. DL out of Florida,  that was supposedly all Miami is now pegged to come to AU. How we getting these players with a staff that is in limbo?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

42 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not sure whats going on .But now we are expecting a commitment from a top 100 player soon. DL out of Florida,  that was supposedly all Miami is now pegged to come to AU. How we getting these players with a staff that is in limbo?

Because we have a secret AD and also a secret coach well that's been implied anyways. @DAG 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, roe4christ said:

If I am going to continue to wake up at 11:00pm, 2:30pm or 6:00pm to watch them play.....I would like to have a good reason to do so. 

You must sleep a lot. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tsande07 said:

I understand if you're not "excited" by him. He is a proven high level recruiter wherever he's been, including in the SEC. On the other hand, he's certainly not the "biggest name" on the list. 

More importantly, for all our sanities, you're not Nostradamus. You don't know how many wins any of the coaches in consideration would get per year. I wish we could have reasonable, fact-based discussions here and people would stop with this kind of thing.

I never said I was Nostradamus. I just know that he will not be successful given our current circumstances. If Grimes was hired in 2012, I could see him being good here. However, Auburn needs immediate impact and positivity, he brings none of that. It would not excite anyone and his recruiting is no where near the level of what we could have in other coaches. So, there are your facts. Plus, I’ll say again, he has jumped around many jobs and there is a reason he hasn’t become a head coach yet. Sorry, I don’t see instant contender when I look at his resume and recruiting prowess…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Because we have a secret AD and also a secret coach well that's been implied anyways. @DAG 

Well that was inferred by me because I am smart man 🤣.

I am going to take that as Deion Sanders is working hard behind the scenes. 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Interesting 

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Interesting 

I get it, people have their preferences. I just look at Grimes and I see nothing special or anything that screams he can make us better than what we have been doing. Yes, he would be better than Harsin, any coach would be. However, if our goal is to win championships, we need someone who would make an immediate impact. As I’ve said, unfortunately for this coaching cycle, every coach has huge flaws and just bring no excitement. That’s why I would go all in on Deion, he’s the only one who could recruit with the top programs and give us a huge morale boost to our program. I have no doubt he would be able to bring an NFL caliber staff as well. As I’ve said before, there are people with money in the Auburn program who want Deion and I’m hoping we can at least interview him…

• Like 1