Is it better for Caddy long term to leave?

hqsi99

First off: I want him to stay. I love what he did over the last four games and the players obviously love and respond to him. 

I would love it if in six years he becomes our Nick Saban and coaches at Auburn for the rest of his life. But that’s where my question comes from: if I envision a future where Caddy is the head coach is it better for him to go somewhere else, coach under some different systems, see what he can learn from them, see what works and what doesn’t, etc?

Or can he do that just as effectively under Freeze?

Just something I’ve been mulling even before Freeze was hired and wondered what others thought. 

8 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

First off: I want him to stay. I love what he did over the last four games and the players obviously love and respond to him. 

I would love it if in six years he becomes our Nick Saban and coaches at Auburn for the rest of his life. But that’s where my question comes from: if I envision a future where Caddy is the head coach is it better for him to go somewhere else, coach under some different systems, see what he can learn from them, see what works and what doesn’t, etc?

Just something I’ve been mulling even before Freeze was hired and wondered what others thought. 

You only leave for a promotion, not a lateral move. Promotion does not necessitate more money. If he has a chance to be a HC somewhere, he should leave.

• Like 1

I have stated that it probably would best for Caddy’s career to use this interim experience and leverage it elsewhere to get more experience as a coach. I think Auburn is better if he stayed but I don’t think it would benefit him as much in the long run. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is the third system he’ll be under in four years at Auburn. Not sure what leaving would do for him unless there is a specific coach or system he wants to learn under. 

Sure. But it is all here at Auburn. There is something to be said for traveling the world, broadening your horizons (in football terms, I’m not suggesting he go backpacking across Europe) and developing connections in other parts of the country. 

Just now, hqsi99 said:

Sure. But it is all here at Auburn. There is something to be said for traveling the world, broadening your horizons (in football terms, I’m not suggesting he go backpacking across Europe) and developing connections in other parts of the country. 

I’ll leave it to Caddy to decide what’s best for Caddy. There’s also something to be said for providing community and stability for your family.

• Love 1

Having young children may also be a personal factor for him. He may have the support system and community here that he and his wife feel are the best place for them to raise their children and if a hard-to-turn-down offer comes along he may look at a change then?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I’ll leave it to Caddy to decide what’s best for Caddy. There’s also something to be said for providing community and stability for your family.

Great minds think alike. 😂

• Haha 1

Caddy's personality is special. He just needs experience. 3 years here under Freeze, then leave for a HC position elsewhere. Then, who knows?

It depends on what Carnell's goals are.  He has a young family and he may want to stay in Auburn to raise his family in a supporting community.  Carnell could be a coach like Joe Whitt who spent his career at Auburn raised his kids in Auburn and retired at Auburn. 

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

Having young children may also be a personal factor for him. He may have the support system and community here that he and his wife feel are the best place for them to raise their children and if a hard-to-turn-down offer comes along he may look at a change then?

True.  I'll admit I was only thinking of his development as a coach and not the personal side of his situation.  I think we are probably all guilty of looking at the coaches and players as just parts of the machine and forgetting that they are real people with real families.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hqsi99 said:

He should stay, observe and learn all the details of how Freeze operates as a head coach.  It's the perfect opportunity for Caddy.