Freeze may be hiring an OC

SRBautigerfan

Just for clarification because this is kind of an odd title. Freeze has always had an OC on staff. Pretty sure he had two of them at Liberty. The question is about play calling allocation duties. Will Freeze give it up completely in order to concentrate on HC abilities ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Just for clarification because this is kind of an odd title. Freeze has always had an OC on staff. Pretty sure he had two of them at Liberty. The question is about play calling allocation duties. Will Freeze give it up completely in order to concentrate on HC abilities ?

I don’t think he calls plays but checks them as they come through, unless he sees problems.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I don’t think he calls plays but checks them as they come through, unless he sees problems.

Hmm I don't know if that is completely accurate. I am pretty sure he has a major hand in calling plays, TBH.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hmm I don't know if that is completely accurate. I am pretty sure he has a major hand in calling plays, TBH.

I was aware of that in the past but took his comment during PC to mean there is likely to be some difference, but you could definitely be correct. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

That was a really odd explanation by Freeze. I’m good in the red zone so maybe I should hire an OC that is not good in the red zone to help them. Do what???

I think he meant hire someone whose expertise is getting the team to get down to the red zone. I know Coach Freeze is good offensively but to be really successful coach you have to worry more about everything and hire good leaders to handle the individual  departments. That’s how you win games.  Just give your leaders the overall plan and how you want things handled. Like Nick says, he listens to play calls and can override any but he doesn’t try to micromanage each department . 

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I was aware of that in the past but took his comment during PC to mean there is likely to be some difference, but you could definitely be correct. 

He mentioned something about allowing these OCs to playcall but help with "their" redzone plays...It was a weird statement, but who knows. I will say, I prefer for the head coach to allocate as much as possible. 

Just now, DAG said:

He mentioned something about allowing these OCs to playcall but help with "their" redzone plays...It was a weird statement, but who knows. I will say, I prefer for the head coach to allocate as much as possible. 

Me too, but he has been a good play caller in the past. It takes a knack, IMO

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think Gus' OC carousel left many people shell-shocked about who is calling plays.  Personally, I do not care much about who is calling plays, and I definitely do not know enough about anyone's playbook to question it, or even utilize it effectively.  I care a lot more about the head coach and/or OC developing a plan B, during the game, when plan A fails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I think Gus' OC carousel left many people shell-shocked about who is calling plays

Very true statement. It seems we care way too much about that concept.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

CHF said he has ALWAYS called the plays but based on some of the text he has received about the job he may be open to bringin in someone who he deems as or more capable as himself so they can help each other. I think some are reading too much into what was said.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Scott Loeffler is the name I’m hearing. He helped develop Tom Brady. 

His buyout is 250. Dollars. Someone get Rane off his tight wallet.

• Haha 2

Did he help develop Brady? Guy was like a 6th round draft pick because Loeffler is that bad but I digress. Sorry, hearing the name even as a joke gets me going.

• Haha 1

Nice sarcasm

• Like 1

Scott Loeffler. As in the same Scott Loeffler hired by Gene Chizik? 

22 minutes ago, soblfly said:

Scott Loeffler. As in the same Scott Loeffler hired by Gene Chizik? 

It was a joke. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Freeze may be hiring an OC

How about Brian Hartline from OSU?  Do you think he is ready for an OC role?

I also like Arnett from MSU for DC.

33 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Hartline is definitely a comer. All his coaching been at OSU though. Thats pretty limited but he was also in the NFL for awhile, so thst helps.

1 hour ago, roe4christ said:

Hartline is being pursued pretty heavily as OC by TAMU. He’s developing a strong reputation. Unfortunately we cut his brother Mike Hartline loose today so that might be awkward.