2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

15 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

…and I did not think the linebacker visited Auburn? I thought he went to Miami. 

Specifically last weekend. Nixon said he would visit AU this week.

7 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Losing so far at DL

@BigBlueWDE What makes you say this? We got what we wanted so far and are looking to land 1 more Edge.

7 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Push at WR

Nope. Addition by sutraction so far and expect to add a couple more pieces.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Keon Coleman would be a huge pickup at WR. 

I think this ship has sailed? That's the feeling I'm getting, anyway.

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I don't get how Keys and Tolan are considered disappointing 

You are correct. Just have not heard anything about them since they were added before spring practice. I think Keys will start and Tolan is just young and needs more time. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@BigBlueWDE What makes you say this? We got what we wanted so far and are looking to land 1 more Edge.

I will add there might not be much DL talent in the portal. MBA was one of the top portal DL guys. 

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

MyVywv.gif

Wave off! WAVE OFF!

21 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

I will add there might not be much DL talent in the portal. MBA was one of the top portal DL guys. 

MBa has a couple major barriers to him ever being successful.  I hope he can figure it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

And that says a lot given he landed at Purdue.

• Like 1

I had an interesting observation:  

Auburn is 4th in 247 portal rankings and all of our transfers’ star ratings either stayed the same or improved from high school to transfer ranking.

Colorado is ranked 1st and all of their transfers’ ratings stayed same or decreased.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Auburn is 4th in 247 portal rankings and all of our transfers’ star ratings either stayed the same or improved from high school to transfer ranking.

Colorado is ranked 1st and all of their transfers’ ratings stayed same or decreased.

I dont think those rankings take into account the outgoing transfers. Just incoming.

11 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

That is very interesting. 

One thing I have noticed is that other than Burton, almost all of our transfers IN have been highly productive in college. They have all played, most of them for years. 
I think some schools are taking mostly projects that have not been productive but have potential. Again- We are taking almost all proven players. 
I think about the kids that left AU. Some of them may be good, but almost all players leaving AU lack productivity on the field. 
Basically we traded up for talent AND experience. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

I need some WR news today. I want a shorter glass of lemonade. 

And you deserve it, Kansas.  We all do.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Lost Landen King and Tar'varish Dawson (we saw flashes of talent from both and they will land at P5 schools) and picked up a very talented but unproven at the CFB-level Caleb Burton. Not saying it won't be an improvement eventually, but right now that 2:1 trade feels like a push. One more talented WR would push us to upgrade.

Defensive front 7 this portal cycle specifically, we are losing Jeffrey M'Ba, Dylan Brooks, Powell Gordon, Desmond Tisdol, Kameron Brown and picked up McLeod. Maybe addition by subtraction is right though.

10 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Lost Landen King and Tar'varish Dawson (we saw flashes of talent from both and they will land at P5 schools) and picked up a very talented but unproven at the CFB-level Caleb Burton. Not saying it won't be an improvement eventually, but right now that 2:1 trade feels like a push. One more talented WR would push us to upgrade.

Defensive front 7 this portal cycle specifically, we are losing Jeffrey M'Ba, Dylan Brooks, Powell Gordon, Desmond Tisdol, Kameron Brown and picked up McLeod. Maybe addition by subtraction is right though.

Are you not accounting for any additions in the early signing period? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Lost Landen King and Tar'varish Dawson (we saw flashes of talent from both and they will land at P5 schools)

@BigBlueWDE But both were not expected to do much here. If Burton does anything of note it will be an upgrade.

13 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

None of them were going to play or contribute though except maybe M'ba with some 2nd team snaps. Sounds like you forgot we landed Justin Rogers, Landon Johnson, Nasili-Kite, and Elijah McAllister. All of whom are expect to contribute. Much more than just addition by subtraction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Are you not accounting for any additions in the early signing period? 

Just spring portal window so far, but we lost at least 3 other WRs in the first period and picked up a WR from Cincy that their insiders weren't too concerned about losing and the TE Fairweather which seems like a great pickup. So that one is probably still a push. I think we all agree that one more top-tier WR is needed. Lots of names still out there that entered before this window closed though. 

You are right on the DL/LB picture. It feels a lot better when considering the first transfer window.

2 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

You are right on the DL/LB picture. It feels a lot better when considering the first transfer window.

Same goes for OL, TE 

As others have said, outside of QB the second portal window has been mostly window dressing. The addition at Jack was also impressive. Hopefully we can pick up a few more wide receivers.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't think so

I'm just basing it off what Hoke said this morning. Hoke said Coleman got into town last nite for his visit. He was doing a podcast with them 3 stooges on the Roundtable

Edited by NWALA Tiger

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm just basing it off what Hoke said this morning. Hoke said Coleman got into town last nite for his visit. He was doing a podcast with them 3 stooges on the Roundtable

Jeffery Lee walked that back on ON3, pretty definitively. He insured that Coleman has not visited and may not. 

I think Hoke got into some trouble behind the scenes for that one. The members were pissed that Hoke would announce something like that publicly without telling the paying members first. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So, u down vote me. U don't think Coleman would be a huge pickup? U not sold on him?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So, u down vote me. U don't think Coleman would be a huge pickup? U not sold on him?

No, I think it would be a Huge mistake to accept his commitment.  

The foundation CHF is building still wet.  Need to let it cure before you take a flier on certain red flags.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

If Colorado is #1 then it is most definitely only factoring incoming transfers.