2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

40 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

So do we feel good about that linebacker Nixon?

He should commit to the good guys today!

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if his UNT teammate Shorter joined him as well!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

He should commit to the good guys today

You better be right or else I melt! 

image.gif.f6a8ddab3f955982aca63d3ce0b23d7f.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Look at what the portal has done to us. All of this over a dude from North Texas. Portal life is crazy man. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Look at what the portal has done to us. All of this over a dude from North Texas. Portal life is crazy man. 

Yep! Straight up free agency 

31 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Best 3 names in the history of linebackers. 

1. Eltoro

2. Karibi

3. Larry

Any list that doesn’t include Marcellus Mostella is invalid.  😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That's a good prospect for third place, but I stand by Larry. Larry only works for Linebackers and old Jewish men. But it works really really well for those two specific types of things. 

Pretty-pretty-good GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yep! Straight up free agency 

Yep is is crazy, but the lack of recruiting quality players and poor development is what caused this mess. Hopefully this year and next year will be the only times that we will need to hit the portal hard.

Captain obvious statement : we really need a strong high school class this year !!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

You inspired me to go down a path of looking up old 90's Auburn players. I came across this. This may be the most AUBURN looking thing I've seen. Just the way the word Auburn is written is majestic. I miss that logo. 

Let War Eagle Relics Be Your Guide

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep is is crazy, but the lack of recruiting quality players and poor development is what caused this mess. Hopefully this year and next year will be the only times that we will need to hit the portal hard.

Captain obvious statement : we really need a strong high school class this year !!

The high school class will be immaculate IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Free agency is right. 247 has CB'd him to us. ON3 has him as 97% to Miami. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Free agency is right. 247 has CB'd him to us. ON3 has him as 97% to Miami. 

Sucks for Miami 😂

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Shorter to AU. Great news. 
So now we wait for the linebacker and maybe the Jackson WR? I think that will be it, correct? 

Between us and Mizzou for Ukwu, the JMU edge.

Also a couple safeties were looking at.

• Like 3

Auburn football transfer portal tracker: Running list of transfers in and out, real-time thoughts

Justin Hokanson

AUBURN — The spring transfer portal window is open from April 15-30. Auburn Live expects a number of current football players to enter into the portal following the completion of spring camp. The Tigers also plan to add another quality haul of transfers coming into the program in the next two weeks.

Bookmark this page as we’ll link relevant stories, provide thoughts and track Auburn’s transfer situation during this spring window.

The portal is open: 3 important needs for Auburn football

Who should Auburn pursue? Here’s 5 entires to consider

How many transfers might Auburn target this spring?

Auburn is looking at 6-8 spring transfer portal additions, plus or minus some on either side. Of course, this number is fluid based on two things: Auburn actually finding the right fits at the right positions (meaning not taking a player just to take a player), and current players leaving the program matching up with what Hugh Freeze and Co. expect.

Quarterback, safety, cornerback, jack/defensive end/rush end, and a “few” offensive linemen are all positions Freeze has specifically mentioned as positions of need during the spring window.

May 12, 2023 update: Auburn has landed five transfers and is poised to add more. One quarterback, one rush end, two receivers and one offensive lineman, so far.

Spring transfers in

Jyaire Shorter

Jaden Muskrat

Caleb Burton

Payton Thorne

Jalen McLeod

Running thoughts on Auburn’s spring transfers in

— The addition of Shorter was one we saw coming as Auburn targeted multiple receivers in the transfer portal. Is this an indication of current receivers not stepping up to the plate during spring camp? Or is this simply Hugh Freeze and Co. wanting to add as much competition and potential to that room as possible, and let the chips fall where they may? I think both may be true. Shorter had some injury concerns at North Texas, but if he stays healthy, he’ll be a factor in this Auburn offense. He averaged over 25 yards per reception last season.

— The Muskrat addition makes sense. He knows Philip Montgomery coming from Tulsa, and will compete for a starting position at one of the offensive guard positions during fall camp.

— Wild to see what a quarterback addition can do, as the following day, Ohio State transfer Burton commits. Standing 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, Burton brings elements of speed and elusiveness to an Auburn offense looking for players with the ability to get open in space and create real separation. If Ohio State thought Burton was good enough to sign at receiver given their recent track record, and they went to Texas to sign him, that certainly speaks to the potential of Burton.

— Thorne was the addition we’ve been waiting on. Accurate, competitive and experienced, Thorne is the odds-on-favorite to start and will elevate the Tigers’ chances of winning seven, eight or nine games this fall. Thorne is a graduate transfer and will arrive on campus immediately. He’s likely the quarterback for Hugh Freeze’s first two years at Auburn.

— The addition of McLeod was a significant one. Auburn’s ability to rush was a question mark entering the spring, and remained a question mark exiting the spring. McLeod will play an outside linebacker/edge position, and really fits a need to pressure the quarterback, specifically in passing situations. McLeod’s addition can’t be understated. Landing an impact player here, which McLeod seems to be, was on the list behind only landing a quarterback. 

8 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

He should commit to the good guys today!

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if his UNT teammate Shorter joined him as well!

Nice 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Was just about to post this and you beat me to it!

Who's on the clock now?  Jackson State guy, James Madison guy?  Big Olineman?  I'd imagine the coaching staff will start shifting its focus to the 2024 class soon.  Need a big summer with these high school kids. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Was just about to post this and you beat me to it!

Yep.  My wife claims I am on my phone all the time.  Don't know what she is referring to. 😄

18 portal players to Auburn. EIGHTEEN. Just think about that for a second. And we may not be done. 
Add in 21 guys from the recruiting class and we have added 50% of the team in the last 6 months. 
I may have to buy a program the first game to learn names hahahaa
It will be interesting to see how many of these new players will be starters day one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

It will be interesting to see how many of these new players will be starters day one. 

A lot of them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

18 portal players to Auburn. EIGHTEEN. Just think about that for a second. And we may not be done. 
Add in 21 guys from the recruiting class and we have added 50% of the team in the last 6 months. 
I may have to buy a program the first game to learn names hahahaa

That is an indication on how weak the recruiting, development, and retention has been over last 4 or 5 years. Freeze and staff have had to do a herculean job to get to the point they are at right now.  There is not doubt that the Talent has been upgraded a good bit now we have to see how good a job Freeze and staff can do in melding so many new players into a cohesive unit in a short period of time.  If they are as good at that as they have been in rebuilding this team I expect a decent record this year. 

I said decent because while this is not one of our toughest schedules it is still an SEC West Schedule with bama, LSU and maybe  an NIL A&M team plus Georgia which is still a tough schedule. The Cal game is a long travel game early so can't take it for granted but I believe we will win. We have to will all of our easy games and win some of our tossup games. I would also love an upset over one or more of the big boys.

With what they have shown on the recruiting trail they are putting in the works so I think you will see that on the coaching side also.

War Eagle and great job by Freeze and Staff.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

SIAP