New DC - Ron Roberts

TitanTiger

On 12/11/2022 at 9:54 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

I just want the 3rd and long conversions to stop. I get absolutely insanely angry when an opponent converts a 3rd and Texas. 

you my bro from another life. Rock it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

So are we bringing in T Will as Co DC and LB coach? Who is replacing CRob

I'm pretty sure T-Will is Arkansas' new defensive coordinator, so it likely won't be him...

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/11/2022 at 11:24 PM, Mikey said:

So y'all are close to Kelly and his family and are sorry he didn't get the job. That's understandable. But Freeze has to hire whoever he thinks will help him win the most games. Freeze thinks Roberts is the best fit for his staff so he hired Roberts. That's life.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:20 AM, TitanTiger said:

I’ve said a couple of times that my top guys were Zach Arnett and Charles Kelly, but for different reasons. I like Arnett’s attacking style and that he’s young and energetic. TBH I think Kelly is a solid but not spectacular schemer of defenses (X’s and O’s) but wanted him for his recruiting and that he wanted the Auburn job so much. 

I didn’t know a lot about Roberts but what I’ve read about him I like. And he seems to be in the same mode as Arnett, but with more experience. 

I think the Montgomery hire is an A and the Roberts hire a solid B. Could end up being better than that. I see zero reason to be a mopey sad sack about it. 

I don't know CK at all.  Never met him.  I'm comparing the resumes' of both coaches, which you aren't doing.  HF had the choice between Ron Roberts who has had one good season as a DC at Baylor with ZERO recruiting experience of elite recruits and Charles Kelly who had several years at FSU as an excellent DC and is the #1 recruiter in the nation of elite talent and has been one of the best recruiters for over a decade.

CK's credentials are superior to RR's.  But if you want to do the "aw, shucks, coach is gonna hire the best for the job" attitude, then you can't see the forest for the trees.

HF is dumbing down our coaching staff.  Why would he do that ?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I don't know CK at all.  Never met him.  I'm comparing the resumes' of both coaches, which you aren't doing.  HF had the choice between Ron Roberts who has had one good season as a DC at Baylor with ZERO recruiting experience of elite recruits and Charles Kelly who had several years at FSU as an excellent DC and is the #1 recruiter in the nation of elite talent and has been one of the best recruiters for over a decade.

CK's credentials are superior to RR's.  But if you want to do the "aw, shucks, coach is gonna hire the best for the job" attitude, then you can't see the forest for the trees.

HF is dumbing down our coaching staff.  Why would he do that ?

And here is what they were saying about him at FSU.  It wasn't pretty.  I lived in Tally off and on around that time and there were issues...

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2017/10/31/numbers-florida-state-defense-regressing-under-charles-kelly/815580001/

So I will just say that Freeze needed a dude that works for him.  I am sure there were others that were hitting him up but he just didn't trust or didn't like how they did their job.  Time will tell how we do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

And here is what they were saying about him at FSU.  It wasn't pretty.  I lived in Tally off and on around that time and there were issues...

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2017/10/31/numbers-florida-state-defense-regressing-under-charles-kelly/815580001/

So I will just say that Freeze needed a dude that works for him.  I am sure there were others that were hitting him up but he just didn't trust or didn't like how they did their job.  Time will tell how we do.

The job isn't just for coaching as DC, but also for recruiting, which has been the most difficult issue for AU.  Ron Roberts recruiting is a blip on the map compared with CK's perennial experience.

So far as being a DC, then you can say the same about RR.  His D's were '20- #62, '21- #10 and '22- #65.  RR's record would have been rejected also at FSU.

CK's record at FSU was '14- #49, '15- #9, '16- #45, and '17- #29.  That's if you want to compare apples to apples.  CK would have been the better choice for AU, hands down.

2 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

The job isn't just for coaching as DC, but also for recruiting, which has been the most difficult issue for AU.  Ron Roberts recruiting is a blip on the map compared with CK's perennial experience.

So far as being a DC, then you can say the same about RR.  His D's were '20- #62, '21- #10 and '22- #65.  RR's record would have been rejected also at FSU.

CK's record at FSU was '14- #49, '15- #9, '16- #45, and '17- #29.  That's if you want to compare apples to apples.  CK would have been the better choice for AU, hands down.

There are other factors that play into this game also.  Personality, Team fit.  You just blow past development.  CK is a better recruiter.  But if CK was such a great DC then why wasn't he picked up before the FSU gig.  He was in 2005 at Nicholls State for a year before moving on to GaTech as ST.  Roberts has been a HC and more time being a DC.  He has a decent record being a HC.  You can make the statement that CK would be a better choice but when Pruitt left for TN he wasn't elevated by NS to the DC role? Yeah he became CO DC in 2019 but not good enough to be the DC? Also if he was really wanted as a DC there were many coaching changes while he was there so why wasn't he picked up?  Evidently there are other factors at play like personality etc. 

I am not saying that CK is a bad guy.  He must not fit what Freeze was looking for in a DC that is all.  Recruiting prowess or not.  Defense is more than just recruiting there has to be teaching and schemes.  All I know that there were issues within that Defense while he was at FSU.  Now that he is away from Alabama we will see how he does at CU and see if his Defenses stack up.

15 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

There are other factors that play into this game also.  Personality, Team fit.  You just blow past development.  CK is a better recruiter.  But if CK was such a great DC then why wasn't he picked up before the FSU gig.  He was in 2005 at Nicholls State for a year before moving on to GaTech as ST.  Roberts has been a HC and more time being a DC.  He has a decent record being a HC.  You can make the statement that CK would be a better choice but when Pruitt left for TN he wasn't elevated by NS to the DC role? Yeah he became CO DC in 2019 but not good enough to be the DC? Also if he was really wanted as a DC there were many coaching changes while he was there so why wasn't he picked up?  Evidently there are other factors at play like personality etc. 

I am not saying that CK is a bad guy.  He must not fit what Freeze was looking for in a DC that is all.  Recruiting prowess or not.  Defense is more than just recruiting there has to be teaching and schemes.  All I know that there were issues within that Defense while he was at FSU.  Now that he is away from Alabama we will see how he does at CU and see if his Defenses stack up.

Everyone is a good recruiter when they on staff at Bama....just sayin...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Taking a look at the staff as a whole, I’d say it’s probably as simple as Kelly cost too much. I don’t get the feeling Freeze was buying with a blank check at all.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Taking a look at the staff as a whole, I’d say it’s probably as simple as Kelly cost too much. I don’t get the feeling Freeze was buying with a blank check at all.

Kelly cost to much? The guy who went to a school where the AD has already publicly said they can’t pay the head coach? Freeze wanted Chris kiffin first. He didn’t budge on leaving the NFL so he went to the next group and picked the guy with the most DC experience. He went tactician over the recruiter route. T Rob, Twill and Kelly are all great recruiters but ron roberts is def the better actual DC than them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I'd say Freeze is very much operating with a blank check, within reason. AU didn't go through all the hoopla of hiring a new coach and then handcuff him with a cheapskate budget. Kelly is not some top of the line guru of a DC. He's had some good years and some flops. If he were alla' that Saban would have given him the full DC role at UAT.

• Like 1

Alot cats on this board seem to be able to read Danny Hughs mind when it comes to him filling out his coaching staff. They know who was 1st choice, 2nd choice etc.. Reminds me of the Gilligan's Island episode where Gilligan found some seeds that when eaten would allow u to read folks mind.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kelly cost to much? The guy who went to a school where the AD has already publicly said they can’t pay the head coach? Freeze wanted Chris kiffin first. He didn’t budge on leaving the NFL so he went to the next group and picked the guy with the most DC experience. He went tactician over the recruiter route. T Rob, Twill and Kelly are all great recruiters but ron roberts is def the better actual DC than them.

Ron Roberts was fired from his last job. Most had never even heard of the guy when we hired him. He had one good season at Baylor before they fired him. Most of the good press on him is more for his mentoring of Aranda than his own resume. He very well may turn out to be the perfect hire, but he's not a recruiter and his record isn't more impressive than Kelly. I know the narrative, but everything from Freeze throughout his staff screams saving money. After the ridiculous Gus extension and two big buyout in two years, I completely understand it. It could work, certainly, but I'm not going to pretend we had the wallet wide open to hire a staff full of guys we could have hired the day Harsin walked out the door. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Ron Roberts was fired from his last job. Most had never even heard of the guy when we hired him. He had one good season at Baylor before they fired him. Most of the good press on him is more for his mentoring of Aranda than his own resume. He very well may turn out to be the perfect hire, but he's not a recruiter and his record isn't more impressive than Kelly. I know the narrative, but everything from Freeze throughout his staff screams saving money. After the ridiculous Gus extension and two big buyout in two years, I completely understand it. It could work, certainly, but I'm not going to pretend we had the wallet wide open to hire a staff full of guys we could have hired the day Harsin walked out the door. 

First he had 2 really good seasons at Baylor. Not 1. His last season at Baylor the defense was average. Still ranked 66th in the country in defense. 2 we had to beat out Arkansas and Georgia tech for him. There could have been others but that’s all that we know that was reported. The night before it broke Roberts was going to AU it looked like he was going to Arkansas. So much so it was being reported by some outlets. He was very much a man who was coveted. Aranda is not the only guy he has mentored. When roberts was head coach at delta state Aranda was his dc and Pete Golding bama’s dc was one of his defensive position coaches. No one is going to mistake him for a recruiter. But then again no one is going to think Charles Kelly is a good dc. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd say Freeze is very much operating with a blank check, within reason. AU didn't go through all the hoopla of hiring a new coach and then handcuff him with a cheapskate budget. Kelly is not some top of the line guru of a DC. He's had some good years and some flops. If he were alla' that Saban would have given him the full DC role at UAT.

He got what he got due to his recruiting prowess. Will be interesting how this translates at Colorado. DS has had some great coaches as analysts to help the X/O part. Not sure whete his staff us now.

• 11 months later...
On 12/11/2022 at 11:24 PM, Mikey said:

So y'all are close to Kelly and his family and are sorry he didn't get the job. That's understandable. But Freeze has to hire whoever he thinks will help him win the most games. Freeze thinks Roberts is the best fit for his staff so he hired Roberts. That's life.

On 12/12/2022 at 11:25 PM, AcUmen said:

Hugh Freeze obviously chose Roberts over Kelly for a reason (despite having the option of hiring either).  I will trust his judgement.  You see, he is paid $6 million to make these decisions, while most people on this board don't know the first thing about coaching. 

BTW, I am not bashing Kelly, as I am sure he's a good coach.  But there's a lot more to consider than just googling some stats.  Making a hire isn't that simple.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:59 PM, AU_Tiger_88 said:

On 12/12/2022 at 6:20 AM, TitanTiger said:

I’ve said a couple of times that my top guys were Zach Arnett and Charles Kelly, but for different reasons. I like Arnett’s attacking style and that he’s young and energetic. TBH I think Kelly is a solid but not spectacular schemer of defenses (X’s and O’s) but wanted him for his recruiting and that he wanted the Auburn job so much. 

I didn’t know a lot about Roberts but what I’ve read about him I like. And he seems to be in the same mode as Arnett, but with more experience. 

I think the Montgomery hire is an A and the Roberts hire a solid B. Could end up being better than that. I see zero reason to be a mopey sad sack about it. 

HAPPY FESTIVUS EVERYONE !

WAR DAMN KELLY !!!

3 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

HAPPY FESTIVUS EVERYONE !

WAR DAMN KELLY !!!

Wonder how this is going to work? Usually the person that gets co-DC (or OC) is a line coach trying to get experience at game planning and play calling to move out of position coach ranks. Wonder who calls plays and who game plans? Roberts doesn’t coach a position does he?

Edited by Hank2020

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Wonder how this is going to work? Usually the person that gets co-DC (or OC) is a line coach trying to get experience at game planning and play calling to move out of position coach ranks. Wonder who calls plays and who game plans? Roberts doesn’t coach a position does he?

I'm wondering just how long the position is "co-DC", instead of just DC Kelly.  It could be a segue move by HF.  You're right though, co-jobs aren't a good thing.  I wasn't a fan of the 2 qb system either.  At least AU now has an inside man who I believe will make a positive impact on the program.  He might even segue all the way to become head coach.😉

15 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I'm wondering just how long the position is "co-DC", instead of just DC Kelly.  It could be a segue move by HF.  You're right though, co-jobs aren't a good thing.  I wasn't a fan of the 2 qb system either.  At least AU now has an inside man who I believe will make a positive impact on the program.  He might even segue all the way to become head coach.😉

Wow that would be a big move.