New DC - Ron Roberts

TitanTiger

14 minutes ago, rexbo said:

I heard or saw a comment that they had a major issue with injuries this year...

I'm not sure. I know their defense probably wasn't up to Aranda's standards, but it does seem odd that he was let go after 1 mediocre (not bad) season. Maybe he and Aranda had some philosophical differences or something 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WarEagle231 said:

I watched a little game film and it seems like he runs a 3-4 base that switches to 2-5 at times. I know everything says he runs a multiple defense. It will be interesting to see.

Also, his defenses are very aggressive and can be takeaway heavy. 2021 Baylor team had 19 ints., 42 sacks, and 8 Fumble recoveries. Sure looks like 2022 was a dud because of the loss of talent. Looking back every unit he takes over increases in sack total. 

Yes, Aranda loved to run a "tight" 3-4, with the NT in a 0 technique, the DEs in a 4i technique, and a single Edge player ("Jack") on the weak side. Although Aranda ran a base nickel and had two ILBs and an extra DB ("Star") who could also roll up to provide run support on the strong side. Aranda also had a "rabbit" package which was two DLs and two Edge players in obvious passing downs, very similar to what we ran in 2021 and 2022 when we had both Hall and Leota available.

Aranda likely chose Roberts because they had very similar defensive philosophies. Roberts ran a very similar 3-4 base nickel at Louisiana.

I have also read Roberts does not force players who do not fit into his system into it, but adapts his system to his players. So if he does not have a nose tackle who can play a 0-Tech, he will adjust.

Let's hope we can get the right bodies via the portal, JUCO, and high school to fit the needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I prefer a Traditional 4-3 personally. Maybe out of nostalgia(loved Joe Whitt coached linebackers). I understand the need for a base nickel though with today's offenses. I'm giving Robert's defense my effort though. I'm going to research this. 

I do think a 4-3 style front, with interior DLs one-gapping, has some advantages over 3-4 style fronts with the interior DLs two-gapping, for a couple of reasons.

One-gapping is simpler for the DLs, and that means they can focus on consistency and using their physical skills rather than having to read the OL and flow to a particular gap. I would think that would help when going against HUNH offenses.

Another factor is the 4 linemen in the 4-3 are each unique, with unique physical archetypes. Think Marlon Davidson as a typical strong-side DE (strong enough to stop the run, but smaller and faster than a 3-4 DE), Nick Fairley as a typical 3-Tech (tall and long), a 1-Tech NT who does not need to be the run plugger a 3-4 demands, and Carl Lawson as the weak-side DE or hybrid DE/OLB. You can usually find the right players to fit each of those four positions. It can be much harder to get the right players for a 3-4. An SEC capable 0-Tech NT can be hard to find, and 3-4 DEs which need to be as big and strong as a 4-3 3-Tech, but as quick and agile as a 4-3 SDE can be hard to find as well.

That said, if you can get the personnel for a 3-4, they can easily flex to one-gap roles. Kirby Smart does this a lot, in order to put a lot of different looks in front of opposing offenses. And if your interior DLs are good enough to two-gap, it opens up the "2-4" style with two 2-Tech DTs to soak up at least one double-team and two Edge players to rush the passer against single-team blocks by the OTs.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

If Dave Aranda thought enough of Ron Roberts to name him DC of his team, that's enough for me.

But the same Dave Aranda thought that he needed to be fired after this year's performance. That's enough for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

I do think a 4-3 style front, with interior DLs one-gapping, has some advantages over 3-4 style fronts with the interior DLs two-gapping, for a couple of reasons.

One-gapping is simpler for the DLs, and that means they can focus on consistency and using their physical skills rather than having to read the OL and flow to a particular gap. I would think that would help when going against HUNH offenses.

Another factor is the 4 linemen in the 4-3 are each unique, with unique physical archetypes. Think Marlon Davidson as a typical strong-side DE (strong enough to stop the run, but smaller and faster than a 3-4 DE), Nick Fairley as a typical 3-Tech (tall and long), a 1-Tech NT who does not need to be the run plugger a 3-4 demands, and Carl Lawson as the weak-side DE or hybrid DE/OLB. You can usually find the right players to fit each of those four positions. It can be much harder to get the right players for a 3-4. An SEC capable 0-Tech NT can be hard to find, and 3-4 DEs which need to be as big and strong as a 4-3 3-Tech, but as quick and agile as a 4-3 SDE can be hard to find as well.

That said, if you can get the personnel for a 3-4, they can easily flex to one-gap roles. Kirby Smart does this a lot, in order to put a lot of different looks in front of opposing offenses. And if your interior DLs are good enough to two-gap, it opens up the "2-4" style with two 2-Tech DTs to soak up at least one double-team and two Edge players to rush the passer against single-team blocks by the OTs.

I agree with all of your points. 

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

But the same Dave Aranda thought that he needed to be fired after this year's performance. That's enough for me.

Aranda is making room for Jim Leonhard. That's why he cut Roberts loose 

On 12/11/2022 at 6:42 PM, TitanTiger said:

Confirmed by Rivals site. Former DC at Baylor. Was targeted by Arkansas to replace Barry Odom. Has had some strong defenses in recent seasons. 

Solid hire.

23 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

How do I know that CK applied for the DC job, but was rejected ?  My cousin, his wife and children, all residents of Ozark, and all AU alumni, are very, very, very close friends with CK's immediate family.  My cousin's wife informed me this evening that such happened.  We are all disappointed that CK was not hired by HF.

Hugh Freeze obviously chose Roberts over Kelly for a reason (despite having the option of hiring either).  I will trust his judgement.  You see, he is paid $6 million to make these decisions, while most people on this board don't know the first thing about coaching. 

BTW, I am not bashing Kelly, as I am sure he's a good coach.  But there's a lot more to consider than just googling some stats.  Making a hire isn't that simple.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, AcUmen said:

Hugh Freeze obviously chose Roberts over Kelly for a reason (despite having the option of hiring either).  I will trust his judgement.  You see, he is paid $6 million to make these decisions, while most people on this board don't know the first thing about coaching. 

BTW, I am not bashing Kelly, as I am sure he's a good coach.  But there's a lot more to consider than just googling some stats.  Making a hire isn't that simple.

I only wanted Kelly for his great recruiting and contacts in the state of Alabama. Feels like we haven’t had a great recruiter in the home state in quite some time. I can admit that there was a huge step down in defensive performance from when stoops and Pruitt were fsu’s DC to Charles Kelly. He had elite talent but no where close to as productive of a defense. And it’s a definite red flag when he hasn’t been a DC since fsu. So I get why freeze didn’t want to turn over the keys to him to be the head coach of the defense. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Maybe Aranda let him go because he can run the defense without Roberts and was pushed by boosters or himself to hire someone with more recruiting prowess. Auburn needed someone who can run a defense without supervision and can make up with talented assistant coaches who can recruit. 

• Like 2

Roberts has 30+ years of experience. Freeze knows what he’s doing. He needs a master on defense. He couldn’t afford to take a gamble with T-Will or someone who is a great recruiter, but still learning how to be a coordinator. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, AcUmen said:

I actually like the hire but can we PLEASE stop using the “well, _____ is paid millions of dollars so I think it’s safe to assume they know what they’re doing.”

How much was Bryan Harsin paid again? Salary does not equate to competency. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I actually like the hire but can we PLEASE stop using the “well, _____ is paid millions of dollars so I think it’s safe to assume they know what they’re doing.”

No, but it does mean that they have 6 million reasons to get things right. Having skin in the game, and a high-paying job on the line gives people a reason to do their best. More so than any of the posters on a message board. Did anybody but you actually say the words that you have in quotes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Warnugget said:

No, but it does mean that they have 6 million reasons to get things right. Having skin in the game, and a high-paying job on the line gives people a reason to do their best. More so than any of the posters on a message board. Did anybody but you actually say the words that you have in quotes?

Yes. “You see, he is paid $6 million to make these decisions, while most people on this board don't know the first thing about coaching. 

And I don’t think you know what “skin in the game” means. That means collateral or something to lose. Like being ruined if things go wrong. That’s the farthest thing from how to describe college coaching contracts.

These coaches have most of their money guaranteed up front. Most SEC coaches, like Freeze, are already millionaires several times over. And they certainly aren’t going to have their already-made millions taken AWAY.

It’s even more of an argument as to why some of these vastly overpaid coaches bomb so badly - it doesn’t matter if they lose out. They’re already set. Terrible logic on your part.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yes. “You see, he is paid $6 million to make these decisions, while most people on this board don't know the first thing about coaching. 

And I don’t think you know what “skin in the game” means. That means collateral or something to lose. Like being ruined if things go wrong. That’s the farthest thing from how to describe college coaching contracts.

These coaches have most of their money guaranteed up front. Most SEC coaches, like Freeze, are already millionaires several times over. And they certainly aren’t going to have their already-made millions taken AWAY.

It’s even more of an argument as to why some of these vastly overpaid coaches bomb so badly - it doesn’t matter if they lose out. They’re already set. Terrible logic on your part.

That isn’t what you quoted in your post though. He didn’t say that “it’s safe to assume that they know what they’re doing”, he compared the hiring decisions of a successful football coach, to the potential hiring decisions of most message board posters. Are you saying that most message board posters have more football knowledge than an actual coach? It seems like you twisted words around so that you could have something to argue against. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Don’t know what he was paid but we all owe him a free kick in the 🌰 for leaving us in this shape

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, einatlanta said:

Harsin achieved the 'Peter Principal': 

The Peter principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence".

This concept is about organizational functionality, not individual performances. It is making the same comments about all involved with the management structure.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

This concept is about organizational functionality, not individual performances. It is making the same comments about all involved with the management structure.

You mean like the president, AD, coach, and almost all assistant coaches that were purged? 

• Haha 1