New DC - Ron Roberts

TitanTiger

So,the glass half emptiers are out in force I see...
I guess I’m annoying because I’m pretty much a glass half fuller kind of person..

I think it’s all moving in a positive direction and it’s pretty cool to see after the last few seasons 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Fired from Baylor? Jeez. Let’s try to spin it.

28 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

You must be riding spinnaz

I mean, weren’t you trying to do the same thing for Harsin this season…?

On 10/8/2022 at 10:00 PM, sevenlee36 said:

Don’t disagree that we have to have better talent acquisition but the first class wasn’t really his and this class was doomed from said witch hunt and the media and fan base which has not let up ever since. Not really easy recruiting with that constant outside noise. Again he’ll have to go but the dude never got a fair shake ( and I wasn’t a fan of Harsin out of the gate but I get the full picture of the mess and s*** cards he was dealt)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

So,the glass half emptiers are out in force I see...
I guess I’m annoying because I’m pretty much a glass half fuller kind of person..

I think it’s all moving in a positive direction and it’s pretty cool to see after the last few seasons 

There are Auburn people who will never support CHF. Ever. So much so that they want Auburn student athletes to lose every game until he’s fired. It is what it is. 

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Lincoln Riley and his Oklahoma offense didn't score a touchdown against his defense. That was the 1st time in 65 games and since 2014 that Oklahoma hasn't had an offensive TD

I have no issue with the hire, but that statement simply is not true.  Oklahoma scored 3 TDs in 2020, and 2 in 2021.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I have no issue with the hire, but that statement simply is not true.  Oklahoma scored 3 TDs in 2020, and 2 in 2021.

You're correct. I didn't mention anything about 2020. However I did say no offensive TD in 2021. It was Oklahoma didn't have a passing TD against Baylor in 2021. First time in 65 games and since 2014 that Oklahoma didn't have a passing TD in a game. His defense held Lincoln Riley to 14 total points and 260 total yards in 2021. 

Thanks for that correction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

There are Auburn people who will never support CHF. Ever. So much so that they want Auburn student athletes to lose every game until he’s fired. It is what it is. 

Very few that want our team to lose. Support can be misconstrued in terms of team and individuals. For instance, I love the Lakers but cannot stand LBJ as a player. My love for the Lakers is still strong

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I mean was Kevin Steele unavailable? Perhaps that guy from the Waterboy , Farmer Fran?

Do you really want a guy back on the staff that tried to stab his boss in the back and take his job? i sure as hell don't. let KS stay wherever he's at.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

You're correct. I didn't mention anything about 2020. However I did say no offensive TD in 2021. It was Oklahoma didn't have a passing TD against Baylor in 2021. First time in 65 games and since 2014 that Oklahoma didn't have a passing TD in a game. His defense held Lincoln Riley to 14 total points and 260 total yards in 2021. 

Thanks for that correction.

That is correct.  While notable, I think a better take from that game would be holding Oklahoma to their least points of the season, and under 200 passing/100 rushing.  The lack of points and yardage probably annoyed Riley a lot more than only scoring on 1 and 2 yard TD runs.

• Like 1

I didn't know much about him.  Now that the sticker shock effect has worn off for me and I am over the initial shock,   I am comfortable with this hire. 

A couple of let down years,  but in general  he has put together some solid defenses.   I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  

WDE  lets get us some 'cruits

29 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Pretty sad too. They're the type who preach 2nd chances and then want to crucify the school for giving him a 2nd chance. Hypocrites

I don’t understand why some people are so miserable that they are not willing to give a new coach a chance, especially one that has some success in the past. 

give the dude a chance 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

I mean was Kevin Steele unavailable? Perhaps that guy from the Waterboy , Farmer Fran?

Kevin Steele already has Cristobal’s seat getting warm down in Miami, giving up 45 points to Duke, Middle Tennessee State, and FSU; 42 to Pitt, and 40 to an under-achieving Clemson. Glad we dodged both of those bullets…

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 9

51 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Didn't matter.  He'd rather bitch and moan.

Whom would you rather have as AU's DC, Charles Kelly or Ron Roberts ?  Charles Kelly applied for the AU DC job, but HF counter offered with the assistant DC job and, instead, offered the DC job to Roberts.  Rather than taking the asst. DC job, CK opted for the Colorado DC position.

Compare and contrast the qualities of the two coaches.  Here are their resumes:

CK's bio: Charles Kelly (American football) - Wikipedia

CK's recruiting record: Charles Kelly All Time Recruits (247sports.com)

Ron Roberts' bio: Ron Roberts (American football) - Wikipedia

Ron Roberts' recruiting record: Ron Roberts, Defensive Coordinator (FB), Baylor Bears (247sports.com)

How do I know that CK applied for the DC job, but was rejected ?  My cousin, his wife and children, all residents of Ozark, and all AU alumni, are very, very, very close friends with CK's immediate family.  My cousin's wife informed me this evening that such happened.  We are all disappointed that CK was not hired by HF.

The Philip Montgomery hire, though, is excellent.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

How do I know that CK applied for the DC job, but was rejected ?  My cousin, his wife and children, all residents of Ozark, and all AU alumni, are very, very, very close friends with CK's immediate family.  My cousin's wife informed me this evening that such happened.  We are all disappointed that CK was not hired by HF.

So y'all are close to Kelly and his family and are sorry he didn't get the job. That's understandable. But Freeze has to hire whoever he thinks will help him win the most games. Freeze thinks Roberts is the best fit for his staff so he hired Roberts. That's life.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

If Dave Aranda thought enough of Ron Roberts to name him DC of his team, that's enough for me.

Thought so much of him, he fired him.

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

For those that are complaining that Baylor took a step back.

2021 NFL Draft

Jalen Pitre Safety 37th pick

JT Woods Safety 79th pick

Terrel Bernard LB 89th pick

Kalon Barnes CB 7th round

Undrafted free agent signees

Jairon McVea CB

Raleigh Texada CB

Source

You think losing that much talent had anything to do with the step back? I'll go ahead and say it. Aranda was too rash in placing the blame on the DC and not on the youth of the defense. Heck Auburn's defensive line would go through cycles of being good rushing the passer to a non-existent pass rush under Rodney Garner and most of us loved having him at Auburn. 

I just hope some of you are judged as harshly and intently as you are doing to others.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Baylor HC Dave Aranda was a tier 1 DC. He was DC for LSU in 2019 when they finished 15-0. 

If Dave Aranda thought enough of Ron Roberts to name him DC of his team, that's enough for me.

Roberts also has head coaching experience at Delta State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Welcome Coach Roberts!!!! WDE

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Baylor HC Dave Aranda was a tier 1 DC. He was DC for LSU in 2019 when they finished 15-0. 

Roberts also has head coaching experience at Delta State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Welcome Coach Roberts!!!! WDE

Ron Roberts is Dave Aranda’s ( and Pete goldings’s) mentor. Ron Roberts was the head coach at delta state and Aranda was his DC and Pete Golding was a position coach on the defensive staff. He has a very impressive list of accomplishments as a Head Coach at the D2 level.

When Ron Roberts was the DC at Louisiana Lafayette Zac Etheridge was one of the secondary coaches on his staff. 

Arkansas thought they were getting him last night but AU outbid them. He had a offer from GA Tech to be DC there as well.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Most all coaches have been hired , fired, rehired ... Folks need to back off the ledge... Kiffin, Pete Carrol, Charles Kelly, Kevin Steele, Barry Odom, Mushchamp, Cristobal. Many others as well..

All were fired or got out right b4 being fired. Relax people

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Whom would you rather have as AU's DC, Charles Kelly or Ron Roberts ?  Charles Kelly applied for the AU DC job, but HF counter offered with the assistant DC job and, instead, offered the DC job to Roberts.  Rather than taking the asst. DC job, CK opted for the Colorado DC position.

Compare and contrast the qualities of the two coaches.  Here are their resumes:

CK's bio: Charles Kelly (American football) - Wikipedia

CK's recruiting record: Charles Kelly All Time Recruits (247sports.com)

Ron Roberts' bio: Ron Roberts (American football) - Wikipedia

Ron Roberts' recruiting record: Ron Roberts, Defensive Coordinator (FB), Baylor Bears (247sports.com)

The Philip Montgomery hire, though, is excellent.

I’ve said a couple of times that my top guys were Zach Arnett and Charles Kelly, but for different reasons. I like Arnett’s attacking style and that he’s young and energetic. TBH I think Kelly is a solid but not spectacular schemer of defenses (X’s and O’s) but wanted him for his recruiting and that he wanted the Auburn job so much. 

I didn’t know a lot about Roberts but what I’ve read about him I like. And he seems to be in the same mode as Arnett, but with more experience. 

I think the Montgomery hire is an A and the Roberts hire a solid B. Could end up being better than that. I see zero reason to be a mopey sad sack about it. 

• Like 8