New DC - Ron Roberts

TitanTiger

some important facts and stats about our new dc: 

Roberts has been in coaching for 32 years. From 2007-11, he was head coach of Division II program Delta State, posting a 47-16 record. In 2012, Roberts took the head coaching job at FCS program Southeastern Louisiana, a position he held through 2017. Roberts was 42-29 in his Southeastern Louisiana tenure

Roberts’ defense was fantastic at Baylor in 2021, leading the Big 12 in turnovers forced, turnover margin, and defensive touchdowns. The Bears were one of just three FBS teams to not give up more than 30 points in a single game that season and smothered Ole Miss to the tune of 10 sacks and three interceptions in the Sugar Bowl. 

When Baylor went 2-7 in Aranda’s first season in 2020, Ron Roberts’ unit was still really good. His defense finished second in the conference in total defense. 

• Like 3

The people bogging down the thread with the personal shots back and forth, knock it off.  You know who you are.  I've removed those posts but if it starts up again you'll get some time away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Attacking style defense too. None of this bend but don’t break s***. 

This I can support 100%. I hate that BBDB crap. Play man-to-man press and attack their O. 

• Thanks 1

One thing I do love about these two coordinator positions they both have strong Texas ties., especially Montgomery. Could lead to opening up some of those fertile Texas recruiting fields.  I for one am a little optimistic about next season but trying to stay grounded from all the Auburn PTSD I have suffered over the last couple of years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I watched a little game film and it seems like he runs a 3-4 base that switches to 2-5 at times. I know everything says he runs a multiple defense. It will be interesting to see.

Also, his defenses are very aggressive and can be takeaway heavy. 2021 Baylor team had 19 ints., 42 sacks, and 8 Fumble recoveries. Sure looks like 2022 was a dud because of the loss of talent. Looking back every unit he takes over increases in sack total. 

Edited by WarEagle231

11 hours ago, jknighton said:

There's no way to inject pure positivity into hiring 2 coordinators who have both been recently fired from their previous jobs, but like @TeamZero77said, it's an upgrade over what we've seen the past 2 seasons. There's some unknown with Roberts, but he's a clear upgrade over over Mason and Schmedding.

sark, fresh water, champ, to name a few, and I'm sure I can go on and on with more names... just because you are not familiar with the names doesn't mean they are trash dam.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Here is a nice little video about RR's Defense at Baylor facing up against Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams. 

If that video is the expectation and I believe it is, Auburn is going to need much better safety communication throughout the game. Much more than they've had the past few years. This also explains why Freeze seems to be putting a premium on CBs in recruiting. 

• Like 3

Just now, Chaotic_zx said:

If that video is the expectation and I believe it is, Auburn is going to need much better safety communication throughout the game. Much more than they've had the past few years. This also explains why Freeze seems to be putting a premium on CBs in recruiting. 

Definitely have to have communication across the backfield, but when it is there it is a thing of beauty.  I think Daniel Thomas and J. Dinson would have thrived in this. They were both very vocal leaders and they were both physical for run support. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

sark, fresh water, champ, to name a few, and I'm sure I can go on and on with more names... just because you are not familiar with the names doesn't mean they are trash dam.

I personally think from strictly coaching standpoint CHF knocked the OC and DC hires out of the park.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Definitely have to have communication across the backfield, but when it is there it is a thing of beauty.  I think Daniel Thomas and J. Dinson would have thrived in this. They were both very vocal leaders and they were both physical for run support. 

Darren Bates coming downfield and setting an edge would've been fun. Not that it wasn't already. The Safeties would need to be more versatile and it might have exposed Bates in coverage more when there is a release inside. 

It isn't my preferred defense but I will give it an honest chance and hope they change my mind. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 1

I am very excited about the staff Freeze has assembled. I'm also thrilled to know that he made the decisions rather than having the decisions forced upon him. It feels good to feel good about Auburn Football again!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Darren Bates coming downfield and setting an edge would've been fun. Not that it wasn't already. The Safeties would need to be more versatile and it might have exposed Bates in coverage more when there is a release inside. 

It isn't my preferred defense but I will give it an honest chance and hope they change my mind. 

So what defense would you prefer out of curiosity?

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So what defense would you prefer out of curiosity?

I prefer a Traditional 4-3 personally. Maybe out of nostalgia(loved Joe Whitt coached linebackers). I understand the need for a base nickel though with today's offenses. I'm giving Robert's defense my effort though. I'm going to research this. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Huh? I never said he was trash...

18 hours ago, jknighton said:

He deserves a pass from last year due to his overall body of work. Solid hire.

I heard or saw a comment that they had a major issue with injuries this year...

I like this hire. He had a bad year so was let go but other that that 1 year he has done very well. I like his attach defense but it can lead to big plays but last 2 years our bend and break couldn't stop 3rd and long so something had to change. I had and still have to an extent issue with Freeze because of off the field type things but I never doubted his knowledge of the game.. Freeze has already shown what a strong recruiter he is and if he like this guy I like this guy. 

As for my issues with hiring Freeze I also believe in second chances and I hope Freeze does as well as Bruce after he got a second chance.