Hats off to the UAT players

Mikey

Just now, Mikey said:

18 year old football players putting their physical health and safety at risk to play a game.....

Then why play such a game at all? Ping pong is relatively safe and in normal situations there aren't fellow team members to leave twisting in the wind.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Because coaches changing jobs is a known and normal situation in the profession. Players abandoning their team is not.

You used a lot of very harsh language above about these players being quitters, cowards, abandoning their team, not paying their debt, and how you and your sons weren't raised that way. 

A lot of strong opinions about personal character and ethics just to waive all that away and excuse coaches doing the same things and leaving their teams before the end of the season just because "That's how it's always been, and people know that's how things go."

and I know you'll say..."that's different because Its the coaches job and livelihood"

...yes...and most of these player opt outs are from guys who have probable future NFL careers or are already dealing with injuries that want to heal up and move on to life and jobs after football. 

Both coaches and players leave their teams early because they believe it benefits them professionally or monetarily. It's hypocritical to say the players are cowards while the coaches are not.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Both coaches and players leave their teams early because they believe it benefits them professionally or monetarily. 

I agree even though it is disappointing.

Edited by Son of A Tiger

On 12/26/2022 at 10:08 AM, Mikey said:

As much as I hate bammer, I'll have to give their players a tip of the hat. Not a single one of them is wimping out and abandoning his school, fans, coaches and teammates. They are all playing in their bowl game.

I equate wimping out of a bowl game as peacetime's equivalent of leaving a buddy stuck in a foxhole in a war zone. It's a cowardly thing to do. Sadly, we've had a few Auburn players abandon their teammates in previous years. They lost all my respect. I'm certain they aren't losing any sleep over that but regardless of what they may have accomplished previously I no longer think of those few quitters as Auburn Tigers. They are quitters, nothing more.

I dislike Saban, but here's his comment on the subject, paraphrased a bit: " You improve your value as a player by playing football. What does getting ready for a combine do for you anyway? Nothing." He said more but that's it in a nutshell.

When AU gets back in bowl games I sincerely hope we no longer have quitters on the team who will leave their teammates to twist in the wind.

I guess they all know the song and dance around why a previous bama team once lost to Oklahoma in a bowl game. Maybe they've been recruiting 5-Star character rather than talent.  Oh, I forgot, we do that, WDE!

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's the mantra of the Me First crew.

When the ship Titanic went down in 1914 women and children were supposed to be put on the life boats first. Some of the crew knocked the kids and women out of the way and secured their own seat on a lifeboat. These quitters abandoning their teammates are the same type of people.

....alive?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

..yes...and most of these player opt outs are from guys who have probable future NFL careers or are already dealing with injuries that want to heal up and move on to life and jobs after football. 

Injured players aren't opting out. The team physicians wouldn't allow them to play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Lost me when playing in a bowl game was compared to “war” and “the Titanic sinking” not an apples to apples comparison..

No, it's a question of character and that's an exact apples to apples comparison.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Lost me when playing in a bowl game was compared to “war” and “the Titanic sinking” not an apples to apples comparison..

Anybody could see that except of course one person.....of course he and his kids risks their lives daily in their minds because they were ironmen pee wee warriors and that means they would win wars now. It's apples to meatballs

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Anybody could see that except of course one person.....of course he and his kids risks their lives daily in their minds because they were ironmen pee wee warriors and that means they would win wars now. It's apples to meatballs

Tell us again how high school sophomore QB Joey Gatewood was better than any QB that was on the AU team. That one was a real knee slapper. LMAO!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Tell us again how high school sophomore QB Joey Gatewood was better than any QB that was on the AU team. That one was a real knee slapper. LMAO!

That was around the same time you said to move Willis to running back so ol Bo could play is it not?   😭

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That was around the same time you said to move Willis to running back so ol Bo could play is it not?   😭

I never said move Willis to RB. Bo was a better QB and was going to be the starter anyway. Willis would have been a decent backup for Bo except Willis didn't put in the work while he was at Auburn. Willis should thank Gus for sending him to Liberty though. Willis needed a second chance and Freeze provided one for him.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 11:03 PM, Mikey said:

I never said move Willis to RB. Bo was a better QB and was going to be the starter anyway. Willis would have been a decent backup for Bo except Willis didn't put in the work while he was at Auburn. Willis should thank Gus for sending him to Liberty though. Willis needed a second chance and Freeze provided one for him.

You said move him to safety then. You absolutely said for him to change positions. You trying to be vague on that just once again show how you lie on here. 

Bo wasn't a better QB. I know how you try your best to make Bo be some type of great player because he meets all the metrics you look for in a QB but talent isn't there to be great be happy with ok Nothing you can do about it. 

Also as far as gatewood while we are talking about what was said let's not forget I also said before Bo stepped foot at Auburn to play that no QB stood a chance to play because everybody would want him to play because of his name.......Where did I miss?

Edited by cole256
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

..Where did I miss?

Everywhere. Every sentence you wrote above is incorrect.

Did you choke on your ginger ale when Bo once again led his team to a last-second TD and a big win in the bowl game? Those last two TD drives, both with under seven minutes left were things of beauty. His go ahead TD pass came with 19 seconds left in the game. That certainly pains you greatly. Too bad.

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 7:33 PM, Gowebb11 said:

In the past few years, CFB players have been granted monthly stipends, the transfer portal, and NIL. That’s on top of the full tuition, nutrition, tutoring, physical training, and player development. It’s getting much harder to say they’re being exploited by playing one more game with and for their teammates. 

They were never exploited because they were never forced to play. Attending a university and playing a sport is not conscription.

A cynic can argue that every single one of us is being exploited or a more rational person can argue that it is not quite so black and white. I've argued this before, if college athletics was a such a raw deal before NIL it would have ceased to exist because it would no longer hold value for the student-athletes. That's not what happened. College athletics exploded because of the opportunities it provided to anyone with talent and drive.

But then again, the egalitarians and critical theorists will never understand/refuse to acknowledge that this is all voluntary so there's no real point in trying to have a discussion with them.

• Like 4

Just now, woodford said:

They were never exploited because they were never forced to play. Attending a university and playing a sport is not conscription.

A cynic can argue that every single one of us is being exploited or a more rational person can argue that it is not quite so black and white. I've argued this before, if college athletics was a such a raw deal before NIL it would have ceased to exist because it would no longer hold value for the student-athletes. That's not what happened. College athletics exploded because of the opportunities it provided to anyone with talent and drive.

But then again, the egalitarians and critical theorists will never understand/refuse to acknowledge that this is all voluntary so there's no real point in trying to have a discussion with them.

Solid post! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

...if college athletics was a such a raw deal before NIL it would have ceased to exist because it would no longer hold value for the student-athletes. That's not what happened. College athletics exploded because of the opportunities it provided to anyone with talent and drive.

A Payroll To Meet: A Story Of Greed, Corruption, and Football At SMU

When did NIL ever not exist?  The jig was up when the NCAA was exposed for being a quasi-monopoly...at that point the players at least got a seat at the table.

34 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

A Payroll To Meet: A Story Of Greed, Corruption, and Football At SMU

When did NIL ever not exist?  The jig was up when the NCAA was exposed for being a quasi-monopoly...at that point the players at least got a seat at the table.

Yeah, many of them have always gotten paid, but that's never the argument from the people who are pro-players. NCAA used to be corrupt like with the SMU decision, but I think mainly the NCAA has been a totally incompetent organization that is bogged down with bureaucracy and red tape. It's like a gov't agency. Completely useless.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:30 AM, Mikey said:

Everywhere. Every sentence you wrote above is incorrect.

Did you choke on your ginger ale when Bo once again led his team to a last-second TD and a big win in the bowl game? Those last two TD drives, both with under seven minutes left were things of beauty. His go ahead TD pass came with 19 seconds left in the game. That certainly pains you greatly. Too bad.

Lol you think I care. It's like you said many times guy couldn't cut it here go somewhere there is much less talent where he belongs. Just couldn't play with the big boys. I'm happy he's loving college life. It's his last football I wish him the best

But yeah it hurt my soul that he beat North Carolina. It also hurt me to see North C barely beat Appalachian st too 63-61 or whatever. I'm very upset!

Edited by cole256
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2022 at 12:06 AM, Cardin Drake said:

I don't know. I can't get bent one way or the other.  I think it's cool when a player decides to play in a meaningless bowl.  I think it earns him some points in the intangibles category with the NFL. On the other hand, I can understand a player opting out with millions of dollars at stake. It's financial security for him and his family. I can respect that. Sometimes you just gotta do what's best for yourself and those you care about the most.

One way to look at it is: if bama beats (or more likely DESTROYS) the team (KSU) that just beat a currently playoff team (TCU), it kinda makes the argument that bama should have been in the playoff, especially if TCU loses to Michigan (I think they do lose).

IF bama WANTS to be there (and I think they do, since players like Young and Anderson are there), they should win big. Just too much talent and experience. Of course, KSU will play like it's their Super Bowl. So it might be close for a quarter or two.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. Would love to see bama get beat handily (a la Utah a few years ago).

• Like 1

so the guy that claims to be a know it all says bo has no talent?I am pretty sure he was on the heisman list. what a joke.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

One way to look at it is: if bama beats (or more likely DESTROYS) the team (KSU) that just beat a currently playoff team (TCU), it kinda makes the argument that bama should have been in the playoff, especially if TCU loses to Michigan (I think they do lose).

IF bama WANTS to be there (and I think they do, since players like Young and Anderson are there), they should win big. Just too much talent and experience. Of course, KSU will play like it's their Super Bowl. So it might be close for a quarter or two.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. Would love to see bama get beat handily (a la Utah a few years ago).

if freeze does not work out i would love KSU's coach to come to Aubunr. he won four nattys at a lesser division.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

so the guy that claims to be a know it all says bo has no talent?I am pretty sure he was on the heisman list. what a joke.

If you going to talk about me quote me. But I know when someone calls you on your bull you will start crying. 

But I tell you what, if you can pull up me saying he don't have talent I'll stop posting. If you can't you stop.

Also I find it hilarious how you constantly take up for Mikey when he's doing all the stuff you cry about

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if freeze does not work out i would love KSU's coach to come to Aubunr. he won four nattys at a lesser division.

Ugghh. I don't even wanna think about that. He hasn't even coached a game yet. 🤣

That said, I'm pretty confident after seeing what he's done with recruiting. And we know what he did at Ole Miss and Liberty. I just hope we land a good portal QB soon.