Students Expelled for ‘Ku Klux Klan Starter Pack’ Instagram Posts ‘Obviously’ Have No First Amendment Protection, Appeals Court Rules

Didba

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Im glad you just caught up.  Ichy was exclaiming how this country does not admit to the treatment of Blacks and Native Americans and that is just not true.  I believe abolishing slavery is the ultimate in acknowledging the sins of the past.

Obviously, ichy has no gratitude for anything that has happened in the past, and in the absence of gratitude one is only left with resentment.  That is what ichy is, pure resentment.  I did not say *where’s your gratitude for ending slavery*, I just pointed out ichy has none.  Ichy can believe whatever ichy wants, but ichy’s resentment of the past comes out in every one of ichy;s post.

You are welcome to think whatever you want, its a free country.  I got to tell you though; if I had feelings that last sentence would have hurt.

I'd ask you to honestly consider why this is your takeaway from a thread about current racism in this country. And if you believe that the impact of slavery ended the day the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. And if you actually think this country got together and decided to sacrifice 600,000 people because we felt so bad about the treatment of black people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

What is the fix? 

Education, opportunity, community development, reform section 8 housing, access to capital. 

Communities in which the occupants aren't the owners are destined to fail.  People need a stake in where they live.  These are solutions for all poor communities.

The problem is poverty.  The racial problem is disproportionate poverty.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'd ask you to honestly consider why this is your takeaway from a thread about current racism in this country. And if you believe that the impact of slavery ended the day the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. And if you actually think this country got together and decided to sacrifice 600,000 people because we felt so bad about the treatment of black people. 

Who said the impact of slavery ended that day?  You’re making things up now.  This country has recognized the sin of slavery and one day does not change centuries of slavery.  Getting to we are now has taken a long time, but progress is being made. 

It seems some are not satisfied with the timeline, but don’t want to discuss what else could be done.

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

He likes to come in the political forum and tells us no one wants to discuss racism.  I have given him the opportunity, yet he deflects and insults.  He gets threads shutdown in the other forums for his mentioning race.

I have acted like a jerk to him, because of his personality, not his race.

I think you are wrong on all accounts. 

First, Cole is not overbearing or aggressive in discussing racism, just the opposite, especially considering he's black.

Secondly, you come across as reflexively defensive instead of empathetic. 

This business about presenting our history of (glacially slow) improvement as a country - even to the extent of presenting the deaths in our civil war as the "sacrifices" made by white Americans for the cause of black people  - is an absolutely, over-the-top, crazy misreading of history. 

It exemplifies your willful denial of the reality of past and ongoing racism in this country, as well as your inability to address it honestly.

None of that has anything to do with Cole's personality.  It' all you.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Education, opportunity, community development, reform section 8 housing, access to capital. 

Communities in which the occupants aren't the owners are destined to fail.  People need a stake in where they live.  These are solutions for all poor communities.

All good ideas. Unfortunately a monumental and overwhelming problem. In many areas your talking about investment and restructure of what are danger zones. 

8 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Pot meet kettle. We all have differences we can't control. We are who we are at birth. One day, hopefully...we can all figure this out and stop using our skin color as a shield or sword. 

But the subject on the table is racism.

As a black person, Cole is obviously in a better position than you are regarding personal understanding of the impact of racism.  Do you not agree?

And exactly what do you mean to imply by that last clause?   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Tim Scott from South Carolina has been talking *Opportunity Zones* for a while with some success.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Who said the impact of slavery ended that day?  You’re making things up now.  This country has recognized the sin of slavery and one day does not change centuries of slavery.  Getting to we are now has taken a long time, but progress is being made. 

It seems some are not satisfied with the timeline, but don’t want to discuss what else could be done.

If I had all the answers, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you on a message board. 

But I am certain that denying institutional racism is not helpful. Maybe we could work on some of these basics with people like you. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I don't find any of it funny, but my experiences around this globe speak volumes. My experiences in this country speak volumes. You have yours, I have mine......

Try to reduce it down to a cogent point relevant to this discussion.

And wouldn't you expect your experience regarding racism to differ from a black person's?

You seem to be arguing without really saying anything substantive.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First Cole is not overbearing or aggressive in discussing racism, just the opposite considering he's black.

This business about presenting our history of (glacially slow) improvement as a country - even to the extent of presenting the deaths in our civil war as are the "sacrifices" made by white Americans for the cause of ending slavery - is an absolutely, over-the-top, crazy misreading of history. 

It exemplifies your willful denial of the reality of past and ongoing racism in this country, as well as your inability to address it honestly.

Again you are wrong on so many levels.

Why do you insist on identifying Cole as black?  Are you putting him in a special category?  Do have bigotry of low expectations concerning black people?  

To the bolded part; this is you MO.  Presenting your narrative as what I said.  I didn’t say this nor did I intend such a thing,  You too are just making things up now.  Try to be honest in your conversations from now on.

I’m sure Cole really appreciates a white guy coming to his aid.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I never said it was a bunch of BS. My stance is ignored here as you just displayed. I hate it all. I want it all to go away. NOW. Unfortunately we continue to deal with it. 

Here's your stance:

Cole is "reality blind" because he has the audacity to relate his experiences discussing racism on a mostly white forum. (And he's right, as many of the subsequent posts ironically prove.)

Hey, that's just the way it is Cole, all over the world.  Just buck up and deal with it. (But mind you, I "hate" it personally.)

On 12/31/2022 at 1:14 PM, cole256 said:

Anytime you try to talk about racism it will either be ignored or go to it exist for white people too. Such is the nature of this demographic

Reality blind are we? Every, and I mean EVERY demographic display’s examples of discrimination or “racism”. It’s an unfortunate reality of human beings. Let’s hope one day it dies. 

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He likes to come in the political forum and tells us no one wants to discuss racism.  I have given him the opportunity, yet he deflects and insults.  He gets threads shutdown in the other forums for his mentioning race.

I have acted like a jerk to him, because of his personality, not his race.

You will literally sit here and lie and say I insulted you? 

You're like a child he won't talk to me no matter how I act! 

You are a liar though I didn't insult you at all. Even though you deserve no respect from anyone on this forum

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, cbo said:

If I had all the answers, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you on a message board. 

But I am certain that denying institutional racism is not helpful. Maybe we could work on some of these basics with people like you. 

His shtick is to ask you how would you solve the world problem and if you don't do that then it means you shouldn't discuss. 

It's crazy in here man these guys get angry about it. If you speak on racism you are using it and making it up just to do it. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First Cole is not overbearing or aggressive in discussing racism, just the opposite considering he's black.

This business about presenting our history of (glacially slow) improvement as a country - even to the extent of presenting the deaths in our civil war as are the "sacrifices" made by white Americans for the cause of ending slavery - is an absolutely, over-the-top, crazy misreading of history. 

He was counting on me to be abrasive, I didn't so he still lied and tried to run with it. I didn't insult him at all. 

I'm actually careful to who I would call a racist. You see when you are talking and nobody wants you to discuss I have to watch what I say. That still doesn't stop many from calling me a race baiter. Just like the guy was counting on me to insult him they are wanting me to do that so they can say I'm not credible. 

They got tired of waiting so now they just say it

• Like 2

21 hours ago, autigeremt said:

My opinion on the issue of racism means nothing but I won’t back down on how I see this issue being played out in the public eye. I won’t back down from the conversation either. Too many people pick and choose what they want to read or hear….discounting the entire conversation created by thousands of years of indifference and ignorance. The crazy thing about it? The same types of organizations, whether it’s the West India Trading Company, the crown or a myriad of corporations and government/political/hate groups today continue to profit off the division, the history and the often times misleading information about the issue overall. Until we cast them aside and get beyond it the perpetuation of discrimination and racism will continue. 

Yeah, that's all fine and good, but this thread is about a bunch of American high school kids promoting Nazi ideology, so let's start with a focus on individual behavior and parental responsibility.   :-\

18 minutes ago, cbo said:

Institutional racism is a term that has been coined just recently and it is for vote getting.  And by people like me, I assume you mean people who put a premium on personal responsibility over your race.  You know, be defined on your character rather than the color of your skin.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

You literally said yourself threads get locked if I say anything about race. How can you get upset if I say people don't want to talk about race? The thread with most views and participation is the one where someone said racism and I guess it wasn't any to be found. 

Am I lying? Are we really not going to pretend demographics doesn't have anything to do with this on this forum?

• Like 1

And it's not like I've ever said anything radical on here. I'm a race baiter, and all that stuff for literally talking about stuff from experience or literally pointing out well if you treated this person like this then you should treat the other person like that......that's literally it. 

So much resentment from that. A guy calls me a slur, people arguing how blackface isn't racist and then I get called a victim.......make it make sense.

Like I said the major problem is nobody wants to talk about it because this demographic know they heard their loved ones saying and doing certain stuff. And they know that's not respected.

The other thing is the I didn't get anything from being white! I had to work to get what I got! I didn't have any advantages over a black person, and so while they aren't racist they will argue and fight and attack a person talking about it. And you know what that does? It gives an actual racist person another ally. Another person on their side when it's time to shut Cole up and gang up. Another person on the opposite side when it's let's go get a mod. 

Half the people that argue and dislike me literally don't know why they do. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here is a person that disagrees:

Larry obviously doesn't understand how generational wealth is accumulated and why the statistics on wealth are so radically different between white and black families.

And apparently - from his example proving it doesn't exist - he doesn't even understand the concept of systemic wealth.

White's feeling "bad about slavery" is the most irrelevant statistic imaginable.  In fact, it's not even true.  Most whites - such as myself - recognize our history as full of regrettable or evil events but it's completely irrational to feel guilt about them.

What a banal, insipid quote.  No wonder you glomed onto it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I'm not angry. I'm saddened by how the past is constantly used to recreate a narrative, place tags on people and used to destroy. We can all learn from it. 

Coincidentally my mom told me that's what people would say about Dr King having speeches and originations and stuff. And when he came to a town they would say he's causing division and he's the actual racist

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Most whites - such as myself - recognize our history as full of regrettable or evil events but it's completely irrational to feel guilt about them.

Are you saying we should feel guilt?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You left out vote Democratic. ;)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You literally said yourself threads get locked if I say anything about race. How can you get upset if I say people don't want to talk about race? The thread with most views and participation is the one where someone said racism and I guess it wasn't any to be found. 

Am I lying? Are we really not going to pretend demographics doesn't have anything to do with this on this forum?

You get threads Locked in the regular forum where it shouldn’t be talked about.  You won’t get it locked here where it can be discussed.

I have a different view of the level of racism there is in the US and yes the reason is I haven’t seen what you have.  I understand that, but I’m not ready to give up on the US as a racist country that should be torn down and built over from scratch.  It can be saved.  I’m not sure you are anywhere close to that point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Are you saying we should feel guilt?

What about "completely irrational" did you not understand?

Do you approve of irrational behavior?

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

His shtick is to ask you how would you solve the world problem and if you don't do that then it means you shouldn't discuss. 

It's crazy in here man these guys get angry about it. If you speak on racism you are using it and making it up just to do it. 

His attitude is obviously a huge part of the problem we are discussing. But if anyone objects, he thinks you have to provide a comprehensive policy plan to end racism.

If anything, I'm just hoping to get people like him on this forum to do a little introspection. Foolish as that attempt might be. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1