Students Expelled for ‘Ku Klux Klan Starter Pack’ Instagram Posts ‘Obviously’ Have No First Amendment Protection, Appeals Court Rules

Didba

22 minutes ago, Didba said:

I have tried to have your back the couple of times I have seen them attack you for speaking the truth. Course, they dismiss me because I am a young, white, liberal, educated man that needs to "respect his elders".

I feel you. And I have several that step in at times so I don't want that to seen what I'm saying. 

I'm saying once I got that label, no matter how untrue that's what I am on here. You notice when people start to argue with me it never is about the problem that day, it will go into I saw you say this a few years ago, and actually most of it is actually I don't like the way you said this. You think you the only person that know it all. I reply you have NEVER seen me make a claim like that. Reply you think everybody else is stupid. I reply, I've never said anything like that, all I do is say what I think and then post examples or logic to back it up just like everybody else on here. Reply ohhhh ok. 

What can I do with that? The more I try to explain myself the more I'm then labeled for arguing. And I wouldn't want you to get labeled with me. To be honest I wouldn't want anybody to be treated the way I'm treated here. I wouldn't want you to have to deal with that if you didn't have to.

I've posted more inside stuff or called more inside stuff in football and basketball mind you than almost anybody. Anybody else on here that does that you can't even tell them they might be wrong without a group coming at you. Every time I post something that's not seen I'm stupid, dumb,and all of that. Nobody else gets that really consistently, then it's a problem when I'm proved right for me to say this is what I said last year when you called me an idiot.......

I say all that to say it is what it is. This forum isn't a fair place. If I'm labeled to be a villain then so be it. I expect it now. I guess it is sad that I've lost faith in people slightly. I am at a point where I don't really care to debate with white men that's a little older about political stuff. 

I LOVE talking sports though. 

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 8:21 PM, homersapien said:

(QFT)

Are you serious?!! :-\   

What a sophomoric statement. :no:

The civil war was caused by southern secession for the cause of expanding the institution of slavery.  Approx. 260K southerners died in that cause.  An additional 360k died on the northern side to prevent that secession.  It wasn't about "admitting crimes against black people", as our postbellum history clearly shows.

The abolition of slavery - while significant and noteworthy - was a virtual side effect of that conflict.

What a stupid, stupid, ignorant and insulting thing to say, much less to a black person!   Gobsmacking  :slapfh:   

For God's sake man, get to the library, go directly to the 973.7 section of history and start educating yourself. :no: 

(And calling someone else a "fool" while doing so is beyond ironic.)

ooooh s*** my man out here using the dewey decimal system

On 1/1/2023 at 8:51 PM, I_M4_AU said:

So southern Americans don’t count as life’s lost?  Of course you try to push your narrative that I stated the war started over slavery which I did not, you really have to have better reading comprehension.

On January 1, 1863 the Emancipation Declaration was signed which abolished slavery as an EO.  That was during the war, therefore, the people that gave their lives were in the effort to end slavery.  The point isn’t that anybody has to pay homage to the ones that sacrificed, it is to have gratitude that this happened.  As stated, if you don’t have any gratitude you are left only with resentment, which is the point I was making.

I didn’t know ichy was black, but why would stating facts to a black person be stupid ignorant and insulting thing to say?  

Southerners fighting in the war gave their lives defending their right to own other human beings.

On 1/2/2023 at 3:35 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

The KKK starter kits as described here  did not qualify as free speech. I approve the steps taken to stop it. But for you to say Woke is free speech when it is cancel culture whenever you say something somebody disagrees with.  Ask comedians who will no longer go to college campuses because of the woke backlash. Legitimate scientists who tried to say that Covid could have come out of the Wuhan lab and the Woke media shut them down. Then a year or more later there is some evidence that gives that credence. I didn't say that it came out of Wuhan lab but that there was evidence it was a possibility. Scientists who said that people who get infected have some natural immunity but they were shut down. We know with many diseases people who get a disease and recover do have some level of immunity. Why were scientists who said that this may occur with Covid were shut down. 

Woke is a lot of things but a Stirling example of free speech it is not. 

Its literally a sterling example of free speech.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:40 AM, autigeremt said:

We are who we are at birth.

unless its a gay person, of course, because then its clearly a choice.

/s

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, cbo said:

I have the lowest expectations, but I honestly can't believe what I just read. 

In a thread about a very real, very recent example of racism in America, your first comment is "where's the gratitude for ending slavery?"

It's sad you can't have sympathy for other people's struggles, but instead wish to deflect in the most convoluted and dishonest manner. 

What a fool, indeed. 

Donald Fagen would say... "only a fool would believe that"

• Like 2

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here is a person that disagrees:

Oh yes, most whites = graduate level classmates in a highly exclusive environment that only accepts highly educated and intelligent individuals in an environment that fosters liberal and progressive diversity amongst young people.

This tweet is a terrible take. "Because I went to law schools with whites, I know what most white people think and feel" give me a break.

Edited by Didba
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Education, opportunity, community development, reform section 8 housing, access to capital. 

Communities in which the occupants aren't the owners are destined to fail.  People need a stake in where they live.  These are solutions for all poor communities.

The problem is poverty.  The racial problem is disproportionate poverty.

03474FAC-AF2D-4819-8720-D4421569BDDF.gif.2f9d20cc359bea0644b6c71a72846898.gif

18 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Tim Scott from South Carolina has been talking *Opportunity Zones* for a while with some success.

So segregation with extra steps?

Why do you insist on identifying Cole as black?  Are you putting him in a special category?  Do have bigotry of low expectations concerning black people? 

Wow.

And by people like me, I assume you mean people who put a premium on personal responsibility over your race. 

No, by "people like me" he meant racists.

• Haha 2

Institutional racism is a term that has been coined just recently and it is for vote getting. 

Not true.
"Institutional racism has been prevalent in American society since colonial times, beginning with its overt expressions in the institution of slavery, Black codes, and Jim Crow segregation. As early as the turn of the 20th century, sociologist and activist W.E.B. Du Bois described racial discrimination as being institutionalized within multiple sectors of society and as self-perpetuating. In contrast to the nakedly discriminatory policies and practices of the Jim Crow era, the aspects of contemporary systems and structures that have created social, political, and economic inequities and injustice for Black, Indigenous, Hispanic (Latinx), and Asian Americans are increasingly hidden—ingrained in the standard operating procedures of institutions and eschewing racial terminology. Many whites are unaware of them."

"Residential segregation—explicitly codified in the Jim Crow era but reduced after the Fair Housing Act (1968) outlawed racial discrimination in housing—has persisted in the United States, in no small measure because of discriminatory public and private lending policies and practices that have discouraged loans for individuals living in “redlined” neighbourhoods, designated as hazardous. While post-World War II federal loan programs dramatically increased home ownership for whites, people of colour were frequently denied opportunities to buy homes, thus restricting access to the principal method of accruing generational wealth. Many Blacks and Hispanics continue to live in racially segregated and impoverished neighbourhoods, partly as a result of zoning restrictions that effectively exclude lower-income residents from living in many predominantly white neighbourhoods."

Cite: https://www.britannica.com/topic/institutional-racism

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cbo said:

His attitude is obviously a huge part of the problem we are discussing. But if anyone objects, he thinks you have to provide a comprehensive policy plan to end racism.

If anything, I'm just hoping to get people like him on this forum to do a little introspection. Foolish as that attempt might be. 

I have been trying to reach these people for months.  I honestly have gotten exhausted of it lately and barely ever get on this site besides the eagles nest.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

A shame to have a thread full of "experts" with no solutions. Typical. 

Have a good evening.

Not a single person has claimed to be an expert in sociology/psychology (which are the appropriate fields I think) People have share their knowledge, experience, and opinions.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Lmao 🤣 no way big shot leftist 

Nice substantive response.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, cbo said:

You continue to say the most irrelevant, insulting things, while cloaking it in some edgy talking point or by completely backtracking moments later. 

As much as you seem to dislike Cole, you should appreciate his patience with you. I'm not sure I could do the same. 

He is one of the most disingenuous posters on here the only people worse than him are the ones that just come on here to curse people out and get temp banned like pensacolatiger or that other cat that was following me around for a while.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arein0 said:

Wait, what?! So you're saying it's not racist for someone to walk by someone and use a racial slur because they dont have power over them?

Everything I have seen you post in this thread are excuses used to continue racism. Strive to be better people. This is getting ridiculous.

Technically, minorities can't be racist under a now archaic, academic definition of racism.  I think it was like only the majority ethnic group can be racist. I dunno, I remember reading it in a college course and thinking that's BS

9 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not a single person has claimed to be an expert in sociology/psychology (which are the appropriate fields I think) People have share their knowledge, experience, and opinions.

Homer headed to the library now. Sections 150 and 360

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, GoAU said:

I believe letting idiots look like idiots in public makes it easier to identify them and they are rapidly shunned by the rest of society.  It also makes great teaching points (“don’t be like that idiot”).  These people self identify and are usually ostracized quickly.  Only in very rare cases are racist people actually able to sway anyone with more than a few working brain cells to their school of thought.  By banning speech and persecution you turn these people into martyrs.  Kind of like the old adage “better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt” - but in reverse and without violating the Constitution. 

See I want to agree with you but then I remember how much support the tiki torchers received without being ostracized by a large margin of society. Ya know: "good people on both sides".

Not an attack on you, just pointing out I was nodding my head along as I read but then part kinda stuck out.

2 hours ago, ChristoThor said:

I can accept that as a misunderstanding on my part.

I can understand appreciating the end of slavery, but the way you talk about it seems to be used as a way to put up a smokescreen from acknowledging what more needs to happen. You were making very firm statement by saying you are either grateful or full of resentment. Us acknowledging the things that are happening in today's society is not blaming people for slavery of the past. I know some call for blaming people of today for slavery of the past, but I feel all that accomplishes is distracting for the real issues at hand. I understand the frustration of that, but I do not feel that is what the majority of people are trying to bring to light or asking to solve.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I do feel you are doing a disservice to what Malcolm X also accomplished around the same time. You may not like what it looked like, but it wasn't all Mr. King who put in the work. Mr. King acknowledged Malcom X and what he did. He stated they may not see eye to eye, but he held deep affection for him. I believe in peaceful protest, but I won't discount the anger that bein on the receiving side of racism sparks in people.

Sure that can be true, but that doesn't mean Cole has to explain. There is plenty out there that we can all research without having to involve others.

With the Larry Elder thing, I have noticed that people who don't like what the opposing opinions are saying will go find someone who says what they want to negate the opposing opinion. This is something I have run into a fair bit with some people. This isn't to say you have to be completely convicted of what the opposition is saying, but growth can't happen without change. If you only gather opinions that look like your own you will never have a way to grow outside of random personal revelation. In acknowledging and trying to understand an opposing opinion, you can see the error in your own and their opinion that will hopefully help you form a more accurate understanding of a situation. I feel that searching out for any person of color to agree with you instead of trying to understand the rest who disagree is a way to cling to the comfort of your own opinions.

It is hard to look at any group of people and expect consistency of belief across their entire population. Of course there will be people within the same "group" making opposite claims. A great is example is christianity. You made the claim that christianity as a unified group fought slavery. Someone else pointed out that there were people on both sides of the civil war using their christian beliefs to justify their side of things. There will always be a disparity of education, opportunity, and experience within any group. Just because there is difference of opinion within the black community doesn't mean you can choose which side has the valid opinion. It just means that all those with the difference of opinion need to take a look at themselves, their beliefs, and those that oppose them and find the opportunity for growth. Again though, that doesn't mean anyone is obligated to do that for you. We have a wealth of information and publications out there on both sides for those who are interested to go and find and learn.

I think this is of very high importance since I believe we all will be called to stand by our beliefs one day. I would rather delve in myself and form my own opinion rather than regurgitate things that make me feel safe and not truly understand what I am standing for.

Wow, just beautifully written and well reasoned. thank you for typing this up.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Didba said:

Southerners fighting in the war gave their lives defending their right to own other human beings.

Not to nitpick (well, maybe to nitpick ;)), but a good many of them were hoodwinked into fighting for the right of much richer people than them to own other human beings. It was a rich man's war, a poor man's fight.

A good many of them who were smart enough, switched sides or held out against the draft. There was a civil war within the civil war. An Auburn PhD graduate later wrote a good book on the subject:

"Bitterly Divided - The South's Inner Civil War" by David Williams

Here's a review:

https://digitalcommons.lsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2793&context=cwbr

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I feel you. And I have several that step in at times so I don't want that to seen what I'm saying. 

I'm saying once I got that label, no matter how untrue that's what I am on here. You notice when people start to argue with me it never is about the problem that day, it will go into I saw you say this a few years ago, and actually most of it is actually I don't like the way you said this. You think you the only person that know it all. I reply you have NEVER seen me make a claim like that. Reply you think everybody else is stupid. I reply, I've never said anything like that, all I do is say what I think and then post examples or logic to back it up just like everybody else on here. Reply ohhhh ok. 

What can I do with that? The more I try to explain myself the more I'm then labeled for arguing. And I wouldn't want you to get labeled with me. To be honest I wouldn't want anybody to be treated the way I'm treated here. I wouldn't want you to have to deal with that if you didn't have to.

I've posted more inside stuff or called more inside stuff in football and basketball mind you than almost anybody. Anybody else on here that does that you can't even tell them they might be wrong without a group coming at you. Every time I post something that's not seen I'm stupid, dumb,and all of that. Nobody else gets that really consistently, then it's a problem when I'm proved right for me to say this is what I said last year when you called me an idiot.......

I say all that to say it is what it is. This forum isn't a fair place. If I'm labeled to be a villain then so be it. I expect it now. I guess it is sad that I've lost faith in people slightly. I am at a point where I don't really care to debate with white men that's a little older about political stuff. 

I LOVE talking sports though. 

Luckily, I like to think my posting style has lended me a certain amount of credibility with many on the eagle's nest, amongst other places on AUfamily. I am not too worried about a small group labeling me as a "cole256" defender.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

It was a rich man's war, a poor man's fight.

My generalization was a bit too broad.  Unfortunately, every war since the dawn of monarchies have pretty much reflected this adage. Beside the point, I know. Thanks for sharing the book review.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Didba said:

He is one of the most disingenuous posters on here the only people worse than him are the ones that just come on here to curse people out and get temp banned like pensacolatiger or that other cat that was following me around for a while.

To be honest, I am not sure if he is as disingenuous as much as he is simply clueless. 

To describe "institutional racism" as a "recently coined" political term is a prime example.

• Like 2