2024 5*+ WR Ryan Williams (Recommitted To Bama)

gr82b4au

27 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

All great points. But why isn’t anyone talking about the fact that his dad was in Tubberville’s doghouse in the Tony Franklin debacle year (2008) and then cut by Chizik when he came in in 2009? Hardly a positive legacy guy for AU. Truth his, he was never going to AU and he only had AU on his list because he clicked with Marcus Davis last Spring.

Because it is irrelevant to current events. 

So how does the NIL work? Do they get all of it upfront, is it an installment plan, end of semester, type payout. If they hop in the portal do they have to pay it back? A lot of responses said now Auburn can use the RW money on other potential portal players or 2025 recruits. Does someone just write a check out of the On To Victory account and says “Welcome to Auburn” 

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 5*+ WR Ryan Williams (Recommitted To Bama)
41 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I agree there was no way in hell they were gonna let RW go to Auburn. A part of me feels he leveraged the Saban retirement to pull a lil more $$$ out of the Updykes by saying he may consider going somewhere else. 

I believe the decommit on Saban’s retirement day was a knee jerk reaction. He had his heart set on bammer regardless of the HC. When they upped his figure this past weekend, it was a take it now figure or it’s off the table if you take other visits.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

So how does the NIL work? Do they get all of it upfront, is it an installment plan, end of semester, type payout. If they hop in the portal do they have to pay it back? A lot of responses said now Auburn can use the RW money on other potential portal players or 2025 recruits. Does someone just write a check out of the On To Victory account and says “Welcome to Auburn” 

I'm not an expert but stuff I've gleaned from people who understand it is, there's a lot of funky rules about it that make for unique NIL agreements.  Technically, you can't make NIL contingent on actually signing with or enrolling at your school.  Otherwise it runs afoul of NCAA rules and it's just "pay for play."  The reason it's specifically called NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) is that the players aren't supposed to be paid a salary for playing ball.  They're just supposed to be free to capitalize on their fame to make money off of it if they want to.

To get around some of that stuff requires some deft procedural stuff in terms of keeping separation between the athletic department/coaching staff and the NIL organizations, putting in certain requirements such as in person promotional appearances and such, and other means to basically assure that the athlete in question is with your school/team without making "being enrolled and on the team" an explicit requirement.

The smarter organizations would also try to, as much as possible, pay out the NIL money over time and minimize up front money, though guys in extremely high demand might be able to tilt that back the other way more.  

All that to say, almost no NIL is going just write a guy a check and that be it.  Because the athlete could just take the money, then decommit and sign with someone else and basically be double dipping.  And the NIL arm of that school, if they were that dumb to have such a simple NIL deal in the first place, would have little to no recourse.  Because to come after the kid for the money is to basically admit that the arrangement was "pay for play" rather than a true NIL deal.  My understanding of the situation Florida is in right now with the NCAA looking at the NIL group has to do with that huge deal someone down there made with Raiola - the hot shot QB who supposedly had a $3M deal in place with UF's NIL arm.  The NIL backed out of the deal with him ostensibly because they couldn't afford to pay one guy that much - they didn't have the funds to cover it.  But Raiola's people are saying they have a contract.  And the Gator NIL folks are caught trying to explain why they shouldn't have to pay the contract even if Raiola went elsewhere, because if that's their argument, then they are basically admitted the deal was paying Raiola to come play for UF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I believe the decommit on Saban’s retirement day was a knee jerk reaction. He had his heart set on bammer regardless of the HC. When they upped his figure this past weekend, it was a take it now figure or it’s off the table if you take other visits.

I think this is true or very close to the truth.  Alabama saw this more in PR terms than "this one WR is make or break to our on field success."  In their minds they could not afford the PR loss after the Perry Thompson flip, the Saban retirement, the loss of multiple 2024 commits/signees and the transfers from existing players as a result of Saban leaving, and the perception that DeBoer was not their first choice no matter how their AD tries to spin it.  They could not lose Ryan Williams to Auburn too in the same cycle.  They need for this new staff to look like they've got some ability to continue getting the top rated guys.  

So they upped the offer way above market and what they or anyone else had previously been willing to give him and like you say, it was contingent on him publicly recommitting and shutting down his recruitment.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because it is irrelevant to current events. 

And you know this how? I have no proof that his extremely influential father has an axe to grind, but imo it is entirely plausible and surprising that no one else has mentioned it. 

Edited by tigeraddikt

14 minutes ago, Viper said:

According to Blackerby and Dapprich, there was credible intel that RW was going to de-commit from bama even before Saban retired.

I agree with @TitanTiger, bama needed a win AT ANY COST to keep others from walking, and at least look like they're doing something right.... especially when the alternative is him going to Auburn. 

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

And you know this how? I have no proof that his extremely influential father has an axe to grind, but imo it is entirely plausible and surprising that no one else has mentioned it. 

Well I am a thinking man so you have to excuse me but if his father has that much of an axe to grind , chances are he wouldn’t have even let Auburn come into his household or spend this much time (late in the game mind you because apparently Harsin refuse to do so) bringing his son around to a place that he despises. 

Edited by DAG

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well I am a thinking man so you have to excuse me but if his father has that much of an axe to grind , chances are he wouldn’t have even let Auburn come into his household or spend this much time (late in the game mind you because apparently Harsin refuse to do so) bring his son around to a place that he despises. 

I‘m a thinking man, too, and I think that his dad has had the utmost influence over his namesake son’s recruitment. And his dad was dumped from AU football after his sophomore year, with little positive on-field contribution in his short time there. I mean, Rahsaan Evans playing AU like he did was largely bc his dad Alan had an axe to grind. I mean, it’s not unprecedented.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I‘m a thinking man, too, and I think that his dad has had the utmost influence over his namesake son’s recruitment. And his dad was dumped from AU football after his sophomore year, with little positive on-field contribution in his short time there. I mean, Rahsaan Evans playing AU like he did was largely bc his dad Alan had an axe to grind. I mean, it’s not unprecedented.

His dad is a grown ass man. Don’t seem like the type for child games nor does he seem like the type for passive aggressive action based on the way he carries himself. Doesn’t make sense for him to waste time trolling Auburn when he seems more about business and the best of the best has been after his son. IMO, we were solely there due to his father’s history with Auburn and them willing to give freeze an opportunity to re-recruit him.. At one point they were not even batting an eye at Auburn. 

Edited by DAG

I've heard nothing about Ryan Williams Sr. steering his kid away from Auburn.  Almost no one Ryan Jr.'s dad would have interacted with or had any say whatsoever in how he was treated is at Auburn anymore.  Not the coaching staff, not the AD, not the university president.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but in all the interactions and stuff I've heard about RW's recruitment, no one has given off even a hint that Daddy was causing us problems behind the scenes.  Seems like utter speculation.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've heard nothing about Ryan Williams Sr. steering his kid away from Auburn.  Almost no one Ryan Jr.'s dad would have interacted with or had any say whatsoever in how he was treated is at Auburn anymore.  Not the coaching staff, not the AD, not the university president.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but in all the interactions and stuff I've heard about RW's recruitment, no one has given off even a hint that Daddy was causing us problems behind the scenes.  Seems like utter speculation.

It is 100% speculation on my part. There are dots there, but whether or not they actually connect to anything is just plausible speculation. Not trying to create a narrative from my musings. I’m moving on.😀

19 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm sure his Dad wouldn't be vocal about any ill will toward AU. Don't know the circumstances of his Dads departure from AU. But, I could see a scenario where it played a part. He wouldn't make it know if so cause money is involved.  Money makes people tend to forget any perceived I'll feelings. No idea if it happened.  But it's a possibility. 

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm sure his Dad wouldn't be vocal about any ill will toward AU. Don't know the circumstances of his Dads departure from AU. But, I could see a scenario where it played a part. He wouldn't make it know if so cause money is involved.  Money makes people tend to forget any perceived I'll feelings. No idea if it happened.  But it's a possibility. 

I think it’s a reach. The simplest answer is usually the correct one - Auburn basically ignored him because Harsin was a potato. He was heavily recruited by Alabama and went up there a lot to the point of committing. Freeze came in and did the absolute best he could to get him to reconsider and he did, especially once Saban left. But in the end, he stuck with his original pick because of comfort level. No need to float out there that his dad poisoned the well. 

• Like 1

I don’t believe it’s a “poison the well” scenario.   I would Agree with strong probability that throughout this young man’s life that the father has on occasion let it be known about his time at Auburn on a negative scale.    This is most likely to some degree have an impact on the young man.   

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I think it’s a reach. The simplest answer is usually the correct one - Auburn basically ignored him because Harsin was a potato. He was heavily recruited by Alabama and went up there a lot to the point of committing. Freeze came in and did the absolute best he could to get him to reconsider and he did, especially once Saban left. But in the end, he stuck with his original pick because of comfort level. No need to float out there that his dad poisoned the well. 

Let me push back a little here... you say he stuck with Bama for comfort level.. How can he be comfortable with a coaching staff that he never met in person or had any prior relationship with?  No one knows for sure .. I'm not saying the well was poisoned but to totally dismiss it is kinda short sided ,IMO... We have other examples.. Caleb Downs and his fathers relationship with Georgia. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Let me push back a little here... you say he stuck with Bama for comfort level.. How can he be comfortable with a coaching staff that he never met in person or had any prior relationship with?  No one knows for sure .. I'm not saying the well was poisoned but to totally dismiss it is kinda short sided ,IMO... We have other examples.. Caleb Downs and his father’s relationship with Georgia. 

Pretty sure he was alluding to the recruiting class he built a rapport with me. It just sounds like sour grapes to me . 

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Let me push back a little here... you say he stuck with Bama for comfort level.. How can he be comfortable with a coaching staff that he never met in person or had any prior relationship with?  No one knows for sure .. I'm not saying the well was poisoned but to totally dismiss it is kinda short sided ,IMO... We have other examples.. Caleb Downs and his fathers relationship with Georgia. 

Comfort with the school - players get a feel for a campus just like anyone else.  He got to know a lot of the players, many of whom are still there.  Comfort with their QB situation.   Auburn wasn't even on his radar until a year ago and Freeze made it really interesting, but it was just too little too late.

I'm not so much "totally dismissing" it as I'm saying there's not a damn thing to support it.  Literally nothing.  By all accounts his parents (both of whom are Auburn alums BTW) have let this be his decision.  

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Pretty sure he was alluding to the recruiting class he built a rapport with me. It just sounds like sour grapes to me . 

Not sure what u mean when u say sour grapes?

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Comfort with the school - players get a feel for a campus just like anyone else.  He got to know a lot of the players, many of whom are still there.  Comfort with their QB situation.   Auburn wasn't even on his radar until a year ago and Freeze made it really interesting, but it was just too little too late.

I'm not so much "totally dismissing" it as I'm saying there's not a damn thing to support it.  Literally nothing.  By all accounts his parents (both of whom are Auburn alums BTW) have let this be his decision.  

Again, I'm not saying he told him not to go to AU. I think it's obvious what happened.  He went on his visit to Bama. Got an NIL offer with stipulations to shut his recruitment down. He took it... but thats just my opinion.  Just like all others on here.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Not sure what u mean when u say sour grapes?

Like we are upset he didn’t pick us now grasping for straws. 

I look forward to when this thread moves to rivals and people quit commenting on it.

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Like we are upset he didn’t pick us now grasping for straws. 

Not upset at all. Happy with the class we got. Just discussing reasons why may or may not have chosen AU. He is a great high school player. He may or may not pan out in college. Just like Coleman and Perry. I wanted to get him in the class. But it's not a make or break IMO.  We got 4 good high school players at WR. I'm good with that. Now, if we can just find a QB that can throw it to them 

Edited by NWALA Tiger