Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

Maverick.AU

Last 2 games we have played in Knoxville feels like we should have def won at least 1 of them if not both…. 🤬😤😡

• Like 3

We are just not a good team this year and there are multiple contributing factors for this. 
Let’s hope this team continues to improve and grow and we get a couple of unexpected wins

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Last 2 games we have played in Knoxville feels like we should have def won at least 1 of them if not both…. 🤬😤😡

Yep that was definitely one that we should have probably won. 
Shooting 7% from three point range is not going to win many games. I still don’t understand why Bruce cannot get the team to stop shooting so many three-pointers. It has been a problem all year and I just don’t get it.
Also don’t understand why some of these players play the amount of minutes that they play. Their stat lines are shocking.

At the end of the day, we are what we are. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Now you know why Tennessee is the #1 defense in the nation. 

SEC officials suck. 

Our offense makes every defense look good. Not sure how much our poor offensive effort was due to UT playing stellar defense. I think we all can agree our offense is OFFENSIVE.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

It's a mixture of coaching and not having legitimate scorers at the guard position. And our guard play is the reason why we only won once in the tournament. 

Agree. We haven’t had a good general since Jared Harper 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep that was definitely one that we should have probably won. 
Shooting 7% from three point range is not going to win many games. I still don’t understand why Bruce cannot get the team to stop shooting so many three-pointers. It has been a problem all year and I just don’t get it.
Also don’t understand why some of these players play the amount of minutes that they play. Their stat lines are shocking.

At the end of the day, we are what we are. 

This game this is just what Tennessee does incredibly well. They pack it in and force you to beat them from outside the paint. Florida was miraculously able to do that something they haven’t been able to do all season. Mainly cause they were at home. Sometimes it’s not about us. It’s about them. Yah we were really bad but this is what Tennessee does to most teams. 

remember one of the best teams in the country last week texas came in here last week and lost by double digits. They are a lot better than us and have a lot more talent than us. This Tennessee team as ugly as it looked today is really good and have only lost at home once all season.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Thing is, if you're having a "bad shooting day" there are tactical options with a skill pool like ours. Sticking with the same 3 plans when they arent working (not b/c of Vols either D) is odd. E.g. Broome is quite good at the pick & roll but it's been utterly ignored today.

That’s kind of what I am alluding to. There are very little adjustments being made this year. It is so blatantly obvious, we have no true three shooters and as another poster said, KD and AF are not very good for a higher level school. 

Broome knows!!! 

We lost which sucks but look at how good Tenn. has been this year we played them fairly even at their house. Our Defense was stellar we didn't get beat off the dribble like we have some games. As for out O making Tenn D look good, the truth is Tenn D has looked good against almost everybody this year.  

Yes we took some bad 3's that can't be ignored but we also had some very good open 3's that we did not hit. We hit a couple of those and we beat one of the better teams in the country.  I am not happy about this loss but to be honest I thought we would get blown out today so I am happy that we were competitive.  

We have to look at the big picture this year and the future. Westry is hurt so we want to redshirt him but we need to play at least 2 games in SEC Tournament and 1 in the big Dance or NIT so that we can redshirt him.  If we can win a couple of our tough games coming up we will probably get into the big dance. If we get to it we have a chance to win  1 or 2 games in the big dance which is really good considering talent level of this team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We lost which sucks but look at how good Tenn. has been this year we played them fairly even at their house. Our Defense was stellar we didn't get beat off the dribble like we have some games. As for out O making Tenn D look good, the truth is Tenn D has looked good against almost everybody this year.  

Yes we took some bad 3's that can't be ignored but we also had some very good open 3's that we did not hit. We hit a couple of those and we beat one of the better teams in the country.  I am not happy about this loss but to be honest I thought we would get blown out today so I am happy that we were competitive.  

We have to look at the big picture this year and the future. Westry is hurt so we want to redshirt him but we need to play at least 2 games in SEC Tournament and 1 in the big Dance or NIT so that we can redshirt him.  If we can win a couple of our tough games coming up we will probably get into the big dance. If we get to it we have a chance to win  1 or 2 games in the big dance which is really good considering talent level of this team.

Unfortunately, the majority of the threes this team takes are bad. I just wonder if BP is still coaching off our final four run team, which had at least 3 guys that could actually shoot the three. As far as the dance, not sure we could win two. My guess is if we make it, we are looking at maybe a 5-7 seed which also depends on the rest of our year and the SEC tourney. I think missing Cardwell today hurt a lot. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Unfortunately, the majority of the threes this team takes are bad. I just wonder if BP is still coaching off our final four run team, which had at least 3 guys that could actually shoot the three. As far as the dance, not sure we could win two. My guess is if we make it, we are looking at maybe a 5-7 seed which also depends on the rest of our year and the SEC tourney. I think missing Cardwell today hurt a lot. 

Yeah. You're right. We should fire him now and get a better coach. Now. Name the coach. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

FF05093F-C4C3-4620-9794-59F605D8F08C.webp

Haha and we are in the graphic on the scroll

• Haha 1

We do shoot an absolutely horrendous 3pt%...but we make up for it by shooting a lot of them.  

Joking aside...this is what mediocrity looks like...hence why we'll have 5-7 new guys on the team next year.   

This was, without doubt, without even comparison, the worst BB game I have ever suffered through. Both teams were absolutely miserable. It was not a defensive struggle. It was an offensive embarrassment. I want that 2 hours of my life back.

I sure hope Auburn can find the basket during the rematch at Neville.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tigerfinz said:

I'm still mad at Chance Westry's knee...it messed us up real good this year...

If not for nothing else than having a guy who knows his game on offense. There’s so many things Chance at his absolute worst could’ve potentially contributed that I don’t think this team has

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

Yeah. You're right. We should fire him now and get a better coach. Now. Name the coach. 

Not every criticism leads to thinking our coach needs to be fired and replaced. You can think BP needs to make improvements without thinking he needs to be canned.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

Yeah brother, never even mentioned firing BP,  but you translate comments, which are seemingly true this season, how you see fit. 

I'm not giving up. No way. Sometimes growth is hard to see, but I see it. Adjustments HAVE been made. The effort is there offensively and defensively. We're playing more under control. Despite not having reliable outside shooting, and struggling on the glass, our 3,4,5s ARE getting the looks. THEY are our strength. A little better job of finishing through contact wins this game, and others. I thought we handled their ball pressure admirably. And the veteran leadership and experience is keeping us in games.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JKClark said:

We do shoot an absolutely horrendous 3pt%...but we make up for it by shooting a lot of them.  

Joking aside...this is what mediocrity looks like...hence why we'll have 5-7 new guys on the team next year.   

Unless Bruce’s loyalty gets in the way.