Softball Vs Troy 3/1/23

They seem serious.  Wonder if we go Penta, or a development game.  I hope we give our best lineup on the road against a formidable foe.

Very impressive display.  Our Ace against their Ace. Hammered her in the first then ignited late. 

• Like 1

I have decided to upgrade my opinion about the team.  We had a good record and good stats (fielding could use some improvement but appears to recently improved) but I felt the level our opposition was not adequate enough to get my hopes up that we might really be a good team.  The Troy game has shifted my thinking in that direction.  Troy has a couple of good, tested pitchers.  Johnson has ERA 1.08 and Cato 2.66.  They recently played FSU and lost 1-2 at FSU.  They had something like a 9 - 5 record.  Our pitching (Penta especially has been amazing) held them to 1 hit and 1 walk while recording 13 SO while we recorded 9 hits, 3 walks and struck out 5 times.  Of course a number of our hits were for extra bases and included a 3 run HR.  

I feel we should do well in the Jane B Moore Memorial beginning this Friday.  I see the 2 games against South Alabama as the most challenging.  They are 9-6 but have played Northwestern and two games vs Mississippi state.  Scores would indicate they were competitive games.  

The week after that the rubber hits the road with a game vs Georgia Tech and then beginning of conference play vs Georgia.  I will re-evaluate my confidence meter after that and see how I am feeling prior to our departure out to Oklahoma.  

• Like 3

I pretty much agree with your assessment.  Note also that Troy has a win over Kennesaw State, who just recently beat Alabama.  (1/3)  The Pittsburgh loss I put on Dean.  While they are probably the best team we've played, we should have beaten them, and would have with a better pitching plan.  I think Dean underestimated Pitt.

• Like 3

Agree with both of you.  It gets tougher from now on.  BTW, y'all see where OU run-ruled UCLA?  #1 vs #2.  14-0 behind Widra's former teammate from UM and 20 hits.  At the Mary Nutter Classic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, saminbama said:

Agree with both of you.  It gets tougher from now on.  BTW, y'all see where OU run-ruled UCLA?  #1 vs #2.  14-0 behind Widra's former teammate from UM and 20 hits.  At the Mary Nutter Classic.

Did UL Lafayette finish off UCLA as well?  They were leading 3-2 in 7th