2024 3* LB D'Angelo "DJ" Barber Commits to AU!

ellitor

6 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

How many LBs are we taking?

@AUpreacherman22 Likely More than 2.

6 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

If we get Phillips and Riddick, would we continue to pursue Barber?

If he's top 3 or 4 on our board yes. Also remember Phillips may be a Jack LB for us and that's a hybrid LB/Edge position instead of a true LB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

• Like 1

Close close close .. this ain't horseshoes lol

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Close close close .. this ain't horseshoes lol

Or grenades

Am I rite?!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Or grenades

Am I rite?!

👍Well it will be grenades to our recruiting if these remain close but not committed LOL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tigers top school for Barber

A decision is coming soon for .

The linebacker out of Clay-Chalkville High was in town for Auburn's 7-on-7 Thursday, and afterward, spoke about where the Tigers sit in his recruitment.

"It’s still going good," Barber said. "Auburn's at the top."

D'Angelo Barber was on Auburn's campus for the 7-on-7 competition Thursday. (Caleb Jones | AuburnSports.com)

Barber spent time with linebackers' coach Josh Aldridge, who walked through scenarios and coverages with the four-star. He also spent time with Hugh Freeze, watching some of the 7-on-7 competitions alongside the head coach as well as some of his teammates.

"It’s always cool being around Coach Freeze, cause he’s just a cool, calm and relaxed guy," Barber said. "Being up there on the balcony with him, it really just builds on top of that home experience that you feel here at Auburn, and knowing that you’re like a big family and something that you can be a part of."

As for what Freeze has been telling Barber?

"The main thing he was saying was whenever I’m ready, he’s ready for me to be a part of the family," Barber said. "I’m gonna try to shut it down by the end of this month."

6'1" | 220 lbs | ILB | 2024

Barber will take an official visit to Georgia Tech this weekend and Arkansas before the end of the month, with several SEC schools slated to get an official visit from him in the fall.

Auburn, Texas A&M and Ole Miss will get official visits in the season, but the Tigers could see him back on campus well before that.

"If I’m able to, I’ll come down and spend a couple days with Coach Aldridge," Barber said. "But if I don’t get back down here before then, I’ll be down here for Big Cat Weekend."

• Love 1

Auburn receives crystal ball prediction for in-state linebacker

Taylor Jones

One of the top programs in the state of Alabama heading into the 2023 season is Clay-Chalkville.

The metro-Birmingham school has four players that currently rank in the top 25 of the state’s top 2024 prospects according to 247Sports, and Auburn may be close to landing one of them.

Buy Tigers Tickets

D'Angelo Barber, the nation’s No. 44 linebacker and the state of Alabama’s No. 25 overall prospect for the 2024 cycle is trending toward Auburn. Christian Clemente of 247Sports recently gave Auburn a crystal ball prediction to earn Barber’s commitment, which brings the Tigers to two total predictions for Barber.

Barber recently competed in Auburn’s 7v7 tournament and told Clemente that he will announce his commitment at the end of this month. Where does Auburn stand personally?

“Auburn’s got the lead,” Barber said in an interview with Auburn Undercover. “(Arkansas) still in the mix. But it’s hard to go against Auburn. I can honestly say I haven’t been to a place yet that felt more like home than here.”

According to 247Sports, Barber will officially visit Georgia Tech and Arkansas this month before making his decision. The Razorbacks appear to be Auburn’s top competition at the moment, as former Tiger and current Arkansas defensive coordinator travis williams is working hard to snag Barber out of Auburn’s grasp.

Auburn is also in the running for several of Barber’s high school teammates. Wide receiver Mario Craver included Auburn in his top 10 list while the Tigers are looking to flip the state’s top player, Jaylen Mbakwe, from Alabama.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toddc said:

Auburn is also in the running for several of Barber’s high school teammates. Wide receiver Mario Craver included Auburn in his top 10 list while the Tigers are looking to flip the state’s top player, Jaylen Mbakwe, from Alabama.

Man that team is loaded!!!   All 3 need to come to AU!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

JLee says good news is coming for Auburn around 4:30 PM. Speculation is it’s DJ Barber.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Like 1

Barber commits to Auburn

The momentum continues to roll for Auburn.

Following the end of June where the Tigers picked up three commitments, they've added another one to begin July. This time it's Clay Chalkville linebacker , who announced his commitment to Auburn Tuesday.

"I chose Auburn because of the genuine family morals and values and the home feeling that I got every single time I went down there," Barber said.

Auburn won out over schools like Arkansas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Georgia Tech.

D'Angelo "DJ" Barber has committed to Auburn. (Rivals.com)

The 6-foot-1 linebacker was last on campus for the Tigers' 7-on-7 competition in June, where he spent plenty of time with head coach Hugh Freeze and his staff. His relationship with the staff played a significant role in his decision, as does the vision they have for Auburn.

"I also chose them because of the coaching staff," Barber said. "Just wanting to be a part of the change that's coming for the better for Auburn."

Barber made his first trip to Auburn since the new staff took over in late January, for the Tigers' Junior Day. He found himself back on campus in March for a spring practice, which at that point in time, Barber felt like Auburn was pushing the hardest for him.

Weekly conversations with Freeze built up their relationship and following the 7-on-7 competition last month, put Auburn in front.

Despite official visits to Georgia Tech and Arkansas, neither school could top the Tigers and Auburn won out for the four-star linebacker.

6'1" | 220 lbs | ILB | 2024

Barber is the ninth commit and the fifth defensive player of the Tigers' 2024 class 

He joins quarterback , running back , wide receiver , tight end , linebacker and defensive backs , and .

"I wanna rewrite history and get Auburn back to that national championship caliber team that they used to be years ago," Barber said.

Just now, bigbird said:

The LB position is gonna get fixed in a hurry

Hey Mikey, he likes it!

• augolf1716 changed the title to 2024 3* LB D'Angelo "DJ" Barber Commits AU
  • ellitor featured this topic

LB DJ Barber celebrates 4th of July with commitment to Auburn

The Clay-Chalkville (Ala.) product chose Auburn over Arkansas and Ole Miss.

Christian Clemente12 mins

Fireworks are going off in Clay-Chalkville and Auburn linebackers coach Josh Aldridge's office.

In-state linebacker D'Angelo 'DJ' Barberannounced his commitment to Auburn on Tuesday to celebrate the holiday, choosing the Tigers over Arkansas and Ole Miss. He becomes commitment No. 9 for Auburn in the 2024 cycle.

Ranked in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite as the No. 492 player, No. 45 linebacker and No. 25 player from Alabama, Auburn's first-year staff offered him back at the big Junior Day in January and quickly cultivated the relationship. Something that helped Barber land on Auburn when it was all said and done.

"It was just the overall home feeling and the family feeling from the jump," Barber told Auburn Undercover about his choice. "Because when I first got offered — you know in the process of recruiting you get offered by people and depending on how much they want you or not sometimes it be kind of relaxed with the recruiting — or you know, we offered him because we like him, but we don’t know if we really want him. But from the jump when they offered me, me and Coach Aldridge, we quickly started to build a relationship. We started texting every day, hop on the phone and not even talking about football, just talking and building a real, genuine relationship."

Listed at 6-foot and 221 pounds, Barber returned to Auburn a couple of times in the spring and again over the summer with his team for the 7-on-7 camp. 

He took official visits to Arkansas and Georgia Tech, but nothing could beat Auburn in the end.

"Over time, it just grew larger and larger. It went from me talking to Coach Aldridge every day to me talking to Coach Aldridge, me talking to TReed (Trovon Reed), me talking to the recruiting girls and some of the other coaches, talking to Coach Roberts a few times," Barber said. "It just grew and it quickly started making me realize this is a genuine, real relationship, family atmosphere."

Now that Barber is on Auburn's commit list, he plans to attend Big Cat Weekend on July 29 and put on his recruiting hat. With Auburn not signing a high school linebacker in the 2023 cycle, there's a plan to take three or even four linebackers in 2024.

Barber knows that and has his focus set on one big name, who plans to make a "final decision" between Auburn, Alabama and Georgia on July 26.

"Yeah, yeah it’s time for me. Probably No. 1, I’m going to try and help them lock in Demarcus Riddick," Barber said. "I’m going to help them try to get him. And then I’m going to try to get my teammate Mario (Craver) down there."

The idea of landing Riddick along with the heavy pursuit of Bradley Shaw and Wyatt Simmons excites Barber.

"I think it’ll be good," Barber said. "I know Demarcus Riddick, we played on the same 7-on-7 team before so I’m used to playing with him. Bradley Shaw, I don’t know him as personally as I know Demarcus Riddick, but me and Bradley Shaw we bumped heads a few games back in middle school, I played him a few times back in middle school so I’m familiar with him."

Barber's message to the fans on the holiday?

"I’d say first off, War Eagle," Barber said. "And then, I’d just let them know that you’re getting me and you’re getting somebody that’s coming to work every day. Not getting complacent about anything and willing to do whatever it takes to better the team, better the Auburn culture and hopefully bring a national championship in these next few years."

• augolf1716 changed the title to 2024 3* LB D'Angelo "DJ" Barber Commits to AU
  • ellitor changed the title to 2024 3* LB D'Angelo "DJ" Barber Commits to AU!
1 minute ago, toddc said:

"Id say first off, War Eagle," Barber said. "And then, I’d just let them know that you’re getting me and you’re getting somebody that’s coming to work every day. Not getting complacent about anything and willing to do whatever it takes to better the team, better the Auburn culture and hopefully bring a national championship in these next few years."

oh-hell-yeah-wrestling.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Finally got a recruit out of Birmingham. Way too much talent in that city for us to get nobody time and time again 

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

Hey Mikey, he likes it!

I like it. Mikey lost it by switching to OL coverage.. 😆

• Haha 2