Men vs Arkansas SEC Tourney Game Thread

Maverick.AU

I don’t know much about basketball strategy and all, but I do know that Wendell Green was just flat in this game. KD tried his best to make up for it.  Chris Moore played with a lot of passion. We needed Flanagan to drive to the basket.  They kept him out.  They tried to battle back.  I will give them all the credit for that.  Disappointing loss. 

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Do u guys really think Bruce is gonna process some these guys and hit the portal.... Pearl will have to change his stripes to do that.. He's loyal to a fault. We will have the same team next yr minus Jep. Plus we got another PG coming in.. Just like Aunt Bees pickles... Gotta learn to love it

When you have 2 dominant nba 1st round draft picks in your front court and you lose in the second round of the tournament - you have a major guard problem. Last year, this year,. ..

• Like 3

Hard to believe we got so killed on the boards. We had no offensive rebound in the first half. Kudos to Moore for toughing it out with a busted chin. And kudos to the guys for coming from 16 points down to actually going ahead by 1.

19 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

When he plays smart and controlled, he's an enormous asset.  

And, I think, I've seen him get better as the season has gone on with that.

Would love for Jaylin to come back too.  He's starting to figure out he can play with these guys and be difference maker.

AF has hit his ceiling and needs to move on to greener pastures.

Yeah I mean as far as 7th-8th men spark plugs, we’re simply not getting anyone better than that. He has also did a way better job of not taking the selfish play as time has progressed. Many more drives have resulted in dump offs to the big than earlier in the season. 

This version of KD for the last couple of months is worth spending a scholarship to me, but that’s personal preference 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Jaylin?  Miniature PG driving into 3 tall guys in the paint, or slow down and feed Jaylin with his back to the basket?

It’s like watching a car wreck knowing what’s coming. 

• Like 1

Under Bruce now, we have only won games in 2 of the 9 seasons he has been here at the SEC Tournament.

2015: his first season. We win 12 games in the regular season, then 3 games in 3 days.

2019: 4 wins for the championship 

Feast or famine for sure! Maybe there will be some magic next weekend.

• Like 1

There might be some processing needed, but just general shifting of the totem pole should help too. You lose Zep and Stretch hopefully is not returning (at least not on scholarship). Flanigan probably goes pro and idk if Jaylin can really get much higher outside of an entire personality shift. There’s 4 spots there 

I would say you bring in another center and shift Dylan down to 3rd center. You bring a playmaking PG and have Wendell be your 6th man again. Need a big body at 2-3. Westry hopefully returns to form. Either you bank on Traore or your bring in another starter caliber PF 

I think we just got too many dudes playing 1-2 spots higher than they should be 

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Do u guys really think Bruce is gonna process some these guys and hit the portal.... Pearl will have to change his stripes to do that.. He's loyal to a fault. We will have the same team next yr minus zep. Plus we got another PG coming in.. Just like Aunt Bees pickles... Gotta learn to love it

The beat guys have hinted around that theres big turnover coming to the roster for next season. Hopefully, that is the case.

• Like 1

Just now, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

Maybe we'll get to play at home for the NIT

• Haha 1

Just now, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

Under Bruce now, we have only won games in 2 of the 9 seasons he has been here at the SEC Tournament.

2015: his first season. We win 12 games in the regular season, then 3 games in 3 days.

2019: 4 wins for the championship 

What?? Is that correct? My goodness if true that is simply awful. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

18 of 27 for the game

I only saw part of the game, but Broome was 1/6 on FTs  in what I saw.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There might be some processing needed, but just general shifting of the totem pole should help too. You lose Zep and Stretch hopefully is not returning (at least not on scholarship). Flanigan probably goes pro and idk if Jaylin can really get much higher outside of an entire personality shift. There’s 4 spots there 

I would say you bring in another center and shift Dylan down to 3rd center. You bring a playmaking PG and have Wendell be your 6th man again. Need a big body at 2-3. Westry hopefully returns to form. Either you bank on Traore or your bring in another starter caliber PF 

Didn't Lior get a scholly this year?

That would be another slot.

15 minutes ago, e808 said:

Jaylin 1-6 and 6 points. This has got to change

I just dont think Jaylin will ever have that scorers mentality. Just too many nights like this one after showing some flashes in a previous game

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We're using the term 'Flanigan probably goes pro' loosely, right? Like overseas or something?

We never saw enough of Westry to know what 'form' was. 

I've seen breakdowns that show we could be losing or processing as many as 5-7 spots. Flan, zep, Stretch, Berman, Moore, KD, and maybe one or two more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would say you bring in another center and shift Dylan down to 3rd center.

How in the world can Dylan not have some sort of move at the basket?!?  Love his energy and effort.

Kills me to see him get an O rebound and be 2 feet from the basket and throw it back out.  Teach him a little jump hook for crying out loud!  He's almost 7 feet tall and can jump out of the gym.

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

How in the world can Dylan not have some sort of move at the basket?!?  Love his energy and effort.

Kills me to see him get an O rebound and be 2 feet from the basket and throw it back out.  Teach him a little jump hook for crying out loud!  He's almost 7 feet tall and can jump out of the gym.

We need him to be more than 6’10” pump up the crowd cheerleader guy that will occasionally throw a monster oop dunk down. 

• Like 1

There’s not a guy on this team that would start for any of the top 6 teams in this league. Every single one of them should get processed if Bruce has the cajones to go after better talent in the portal. This season is on Bruce for not doing it after last year. These players get paid now. I don’t care what the name on the back of the shirt is as long as they get wins for the name on the front

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, e808 said:

Love Zep but u can’t have a starting guard that gives u no points 

He averaged 15.6 ppg at Charleston. He completely forgot how to score when he got to AU. You can't have a liabily on the floor. No one guards him because they know he's not a threat. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I only saw part of the game, but Broome was 1/6 on FTs  in what I saw.

That was a very winnable game with just a little better free throw shooting. Broome however was  not alone in missing key free throws. He had plenty of company with his teammates.

• Like 1

Just now, TuscaloosaTiger said:

That was a very winnable game with just a little better free throw shooting. Broome however was  not alone in missing key free throws. He had plenty of company with his teammates.

I recall Flan missing a few free throws, and open shots, and broadsides of barns...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

We need him to be more than 6’10” pump up the crowd cheerleader guy that will occasionally throw a monster oop dunk down. 

Dylan played hurt and got us 7 points in 14 minutes. He's not the answer going forward on offense but I think he's a fine backup 5. We have about 7-8 other spots on the depth chart that I'm more concerned about honestly. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I recall Flan missing a few free throws, and open shots, and broadsides of barns...

Flan was 6/11 FG and 1/3 FT tonight.