Men vs Arkansas SEC Tourney Game Thread

Maverick.AU

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

I've been writing about black all year. I even wrote how I wished we recruited him here. He's a horrible match up for our guards

Anyone over 6ft is a bad matchup for our guards. Black is a difference maker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Anyone over 6ft is a bad matchup for our guards. Black is a difference maker.

now-thats-just-racist-peacemaker.gif

😉

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Meant to say montage.. That's what happens when I try to use my edumacation

I figured, but it was too fun not to say anything 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I’m afraid that’s just a sample size of his end-of-game misses. And the CEO that signed off on those? Saw some other players that were open( a couple wide open) in that snippet of film. What message does it send them?”Sorry son, you’re not as good a bricklayer as Wendell”

7 minutes ago, jluvah said:

I’m afraid that’s just a sample size of his end-of-game misses. And the CEO that signed off on those? Saw some other players that were open( a couple wide open) in that snippet of film. What message does it send them?”Sorry son, you’re not as good a bricklayer as Wendell”

@jluvah 90% of the time Bruce ain't making those calls. He gives the team so much freedom, especially the ball handlers, that WGJ usually is.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@jluvah 90% of the time Bruce ain't making those calls. He gives the team so much freedom, especially the ball handlers, that WGJ usually is.

If that’s the case, my opinion of Bruce as a head coach just plummeted. Does he not watch game film? How many times does he have to see Green miss at the end to say, “ hey, kick it to someone else “

Most of those shots were terrible looks, for crying out loud!!!

Edited by jluvah
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That game summed up the season pretty well. Such a disappointing season for our team and i hate it for them. We are literally 1 play making guard away from this team being a title contender. These guys put in a lot of time and effort and waited for their moment and it just did not come together. So close though.....flip just 2 or 3 of these close loses and its a different season. Flip half the close loses and we are probably a top 10 team. Very frustrating as a fan watching. I can only imagine how bad it is for the team and players. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, arein0 said:

Couple things I noticed from the game.

1. You could tell Flan was going to have a rough game. He did not look confident shooting, even in warm-ups.

2. We had a couple very poor defensive rotations in the 1st half leading to easy buckets

3. When we actually ran plays we got good scoring chances. The problem is we didn't run many plays.

4. At one point late in the game we had as many total rebounds as they had offensive rebounds. Hard to win games when you are giving up that many second chances.

5. KD carried us hard that game

The defensive execution was startling to the point where I don’t know where the gameplan ends and the player failure begins 

I don’t understand how we acknowledged them as being a non-shooting team but consistently had our centers play high on screens. Their bigs just kept running right past our dudes. Broome is just generally too slow to be able to recover when playing high too 

This plays more into the rotations part that you mentioned, but we’d play zone, and at the beginning of the possessions, our guys on the corners would be within arms reach to close out, but after one screen or even an off ball pick, dudes just disappear. The beginning of this problem lies within Black not having anyone who could stay in front of him, but I don’t think we did a great job of defending a non-shooting team how you’d expect 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jluvah said:

How many times does he have to see Green miss at the end to say, “ hey, kick it to someone else “

I'm sure he has but the decision is ultimately Green's in most cases as long as he's in the game.

10 hours ago, Tiger said:

Scoot Henderson could be averaging 25 PPG for us right now smh

Man.....Really let that sink in. We could have the best guard in ALL of college basketball right now. I remember some Auburn beat writer tried to make up a story about he's pretty much ruined his career from making the big mistake of not playing for Auburn.....it was posted on here and some ate it up. I got a few dislikes for saying he could have helped us much more than we could have helped him. I still stand on that, I wouldn't mind having a championship last year. 

We also could have put Mark on the team.....we would be better, bammer would be worse, we'd also be set up at point for next year and give the talented guards coming in next year a mentor to transition......now we are going to be putting a bunch of pressure on guys coming in to produce immediately.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

now we are going to be putting a bunch of pressure on guys coming in to produce immediately.

Let’s hope that’s the case. Sadly, it’ll be our best chance for a good season

They should give our assumed spot in the NCAA tourney to a more deserving mid major. Would be a waste of time and resources for us to fly cross country to get bounced Northwestern or someone like that. 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 4

23 minutes ago, woodford said:

They should give our assumed spot in the NCAA tourney to a more deserving mid major. Would be a waste of time and resources for us to fly cross country to get bounced Northwestern or someone like that. 

Curious why you chose Northwestern as your example when we've already beaten them

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

We also could have put Mark on the team

That one killed me.  There was literally no reason not to.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, woodford said:

Most teams get bounced. It’s a tournament. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don't think they should give up their spot.  Our players earned the chance to go dancing and it is a big deal to them.  Some college players will never know what it is like to be a part of March Madness.

13 hours ago, Tiger said:

I hope we get matched up with short guards next week

Why stop there? Let’s petition the NCAA to allow a midget team an at-large invite and pair us up with them. Give us a fightin’ chance!

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Most teams get bounced. It’s a tournament. 

Yeah, let’s add to that loss column. 

Seriously, making the tourney supersedes a potential loss. 

• Like 2