Men vs Arkansas SEC Tourney Game Thread

Maverick.AU

48 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

When you have 2 dominant nba 1st round draft picks in your front court and you lose in the second round of the tournament - you have a major guard problem. Last year, this year,. ..

I agree. How did Pearl address it last yr

55 minutes ago, e808 said:

Jaylin 1-6 and 6 points. This has got to change

Maybe even worse than that: He had one rebound in 30 minutes, at the 4 position. I love Jaylin and still hope he comes back, but we can't survive these type of games where he disappears. 

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Flan was 6/11 FG and 1/3 FT tonight. 

Stats tell half the story. Some of his decisions on shots were awful. Just terrible shots. Those turn into turnovers, especially when you get outreboubded by double digits.

Plus 1/3 at the line is not good.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, jluvah said:

There’s not a guy on this team that would start for any of the top 6 teams in this league. Every single one of them should get processed if Bruce has the cajones to go after better talent in the portal. This season is on Bruce for not doing it after last year. These players get paid now. I don’t care what the name on the back of the shirt is as long as they get wins for the name on the front

💯 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Dylan played hurt and got us 7 points in 14 minutes. He's not the answer going forward on offense but I think he's a fine backup 5. We have about 7-8 other spots on the depth chart that I'm more concerned about honestly. 

That’s great, super proud of him. He averaged 3 points per game for the season though, thus my point about his offensive liability as a 5. He’s just not a very good offensive player going in to his Senior year. Honestly I’m concerned about everyone not named Broome and would be looking to upgrade if at all possible. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, e808 said:

Love Zep but u can’t have a starting guard that gives u no points 

Tonight, Zep’s contribution:  4 fouls

Edited by TigerPAC
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Stats tell half the story. Some of his decisions on shots were awful. Just terrible shots. Those turn into turnovers, especially when you get outreboubded by double digits.

Plus 1/3 at the line is not good.

I’m not defending Flan by any means, but from the floor, he shot well tonight % wise

Edited by TigerPAC

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

That’s great, super proud of him. He averaged 3 points per game for the season though, thus my point about his offensive liability as a 5. He’s just not a very good offensive player going in to his Senior year. Honestly I’m concerned about everyone not named Broome and would be looking to upgrade if at all possible. 

He averaged 4 points in 14 minutes, and also 4 rebounds and a block or two. You can't ask much more than that from a backup. Another center would be a luxury but we have much bigger problems 1-4 right now without processing a known commodity giving you productive minutes. 

48 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

How in the world can Dylan not have some sort of move at the basket?!?  Love his energy and effort.

Kills me to see him get an O rebound and be 2 feet from the basket and throw it back out.  Teach him a little jump hook for crying out loud!  He's almost 7 feet tall and can jump out of the gym.

It's tough man. These dudes try and practice. Just in the same way Nick Marshall never got a Stafford side arm, there's just some skills that never come about for basketball players. I think Dylan works his butt off at all his weaknesses, but what can you do? 

I've been writing about black all year. I even wrote how I wished we recruited him here. He's a horrible match up for our guards

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

We're using the term 'Flanigan probably goes pro' loosely, right? Like overseas or something?

We never saw enough of Westry to know what 'form' was. 

I've seen breakdowns that show we could be losing or processing as many as 5-7 spots. Flan, zep, Stretch, Berman, Moore, KD, and maybe one or two more.

I think Westry showed enough to state that he's at least a very athletic wing that's versatile defensively. The offense unfortunately didn't come together, but I saw flashes of a live ball handler with good passing vision. Hopefully the actual scoring from Israel and the rest of his time playing basketball comes along with the flashes. 

I don't know how many people go, I just don't think we need 10 people to be gone in order to put out a good team. The roster isn't as sparse in terms of contributors as some have made it out to be. Just needs to be some restructuring in where people are in the totem pole, imo 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m just gonna say it.  Bruce has done a poor job with roster management. He’s been too loyal to some players. I don’t get that because those same players weren’t loyal to their original team. We have lost the advantage we had and other teams have overtaken us because of Bruce’s loyalty to non D-1 players. I love what Bruce has done for the program but unless he makes some hard decisions soon, next year will be worse. Then Bruce will lose some of the goodwill he has built up to this point

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

He averaged 4 points in 14 minutes, and also 4 rebounds and a block or two. You can't ask much more than that from a backup. Another center would be a luxury but we have much bigger problems 1-4 right now without processing a known commodity giving you productive minutes. 

He’s definitely not a player I would want to see processed. I want him on the team, I just wish he was known more for his play than as the rah rah hype guy. And yes, I would absolutely want to ask for more than 4 ppg from the backup Center. That doesn’t sound unreasonable at all matter a fact. 

15 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

He’s definitely not a player I would want to see processed. I want him on the team, I just wish he was known more for his play than as the rah rah hype guy. And yes, I would absolutely want to ask for more than 4 ppg from the backup Center. That doesn’t sound unreasonable at all matter a fact. 

I understand what Dylan is and I also wish he could shoot - but you have to be realistic. Austin Wiley - a former 5-star recruit - only averaged 7 points off the bench in the final four season. So you are asking for someone of that caliber to transfer in and sit behind Johni. There's no chance of that happening next year - and this is really the lone position where we have at least a serviceable backup right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

What?? Is that correct? My goodness if true that is simply awful. 

Yep. It's true

2015: 3-1, lose to Kentucky in the Semifinals

2016: 0-1, lose to Tennessee

2017: 0-1, lose to Missouri in OT

2018: 0-1, lose to Alabama

2019: 4-0, SEC Tournament Champions

2020: SEC Tournament cancelled because of Covid

2021: Ineligible, self-imposed postseason ban

2022: 0-1, lose to Texas A&M

2023: 0-1, lose to Arkansas

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Yep. It's true

2015: 3-1, lose to Kentucky in the Semifinals

2016: 0-1, lose to Tennessee

2017: 0-1, lose to Missouri in OT

2018: 0-1, lose to Alabama

2019: 4-0, SEC Tournament Champions

2020: SEC Tournament cancelled because of Covid

2021: Ineligible, self-imposed postseason ban

2022: 0-1, lose to Texas A&M

2023: 0-1, lose to Arkansas

Ok he is 2-7 . We can’t say 2-9 because we have no clue what the outcome would be for those other years. That team with Okoro was starting to find its groove . If anything last years early exit is the one that sucked the most

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

Another close loss. Oh well, just more bad luck. Or, wait....

Getting out-worked on the boards couldn't have anything to do with it, could it?

Getting out-smarted and giving up all those easy baskets on back door cuts didn't hurt us, did it?

Nah, just more bad luck at the end of another close game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The free throws can be attributed to nerves or whatever u want to call it. Getting out rebounded so decisively is just a matter of will. Basically who wants it more

• Like 3

Couple things I noticed from the game.

1. You could tell Flan was going to have a rough game. He did not look confident shooting, even in warm-ups.

2. We had a couple very poor defensive rotations in the 1st half leading to easy buckets

3. When we actually ran plays we got good scoring chances. The problem is we didn't run many plays.

4. At one point late in the game we had as many total rebounds as they had offensive rebounds. Hard to win games when you are giving up that many second chances.

5. KD carried us hard that game

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jluvah said:

There’s not a guy on this team that would start for any of the top 6 teams in this league. Every single one of them should get processed if Bruce has the cajones to go after better talent in the portal. This season is on Bruce for not doing it after last year. These players get paid now. I don’t care what the name on the back of the shirt is as long as they get wins for the name on the front

Probably not a popular take but i agree 100%. I sympathize a little with the loyalty but I'm hoping for addition by subtraction. I want to see guys that can consistently shoot the basketball. Past time to restock this roster.