Men vs Iowa NCAA Tournament RD 1 Game Thread

Maverick.AU

8 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Houston shoots terribly from the outside. If we can keep them off the glass and score like we did tonight, we win. 

We haven't kept anyone off the glass all year...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I live in Memphis & follow them as my "other Tigers," so I've watched them play Houston twice this year (I missed 1 of the games while traveling). I don't believe Houston is better than Bama. And they've not played nearly the schedule we have (I believe I saw that their SOS was 96th). So, if the good Auburn Tigers show up, I believe we have a real shot. Of course, as we all know, that's a big if. But, as another poster noted, we're playing with house money now, so maybe we can play loose & free, have fun, & put on a show. War Eagle!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Houston really is straight-up athletes. My fear is us thinking we can out "athlete" them.

I absolutely agree with this . Auburn just has to control the tempo. They allowed Iowa to speed the game up which contributed to the comeback.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

Houston actually plays defense.  Going to be a big shock after playing Iowa.

True enough, they only lost 3 games all year... but they have a clear injury to Sasser (their star G) that is still bothering him, so it's impacting their offense to some degree their defense.  If they can win tonight, Sasser is still going to be hurt come the Auburn game.

Edited by 81spacetiger

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

We are used to shooting contested shots 😆 

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeOfTexas said:

We've played Tennessee twice, considered the best FG%defense and split with them in 2 close games. Also we don't blow anyone out or get blown out.  We match play with everyone good or bad.  Really uncanny tbh

Edited by AUBwins
Only twice this year we were out of game early
  • Like 1

But the rebounding is what worries me most.  We did well in that area tonight but that and FTs have been the Achilles.  Hit the FTs tonight.  

• Like 1

@HawkeyeOfTexas watch Arizona State #35 Cambridge.  He played with us the last few years and can jump out of the gym.  I'd love to still have him on the team this year.  Heck of a rebounder 

Edited by AUBwins

21 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

If N sky wouldn’t take wild three pt shots( where have we heard this before?) they would be ahead of Houston. 

The good news is, they have gotten a ton of wide open looks from 3

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s officially a successful season now muhhhh dudes!!!! Woooooo!!!!! Everything else is just gravy and the cherry on top!!! 21 wins with a not overly talented team of all role players!?!? Let’s fuggin goooo bay baaaay!!!!!! War damn Bruce pearl eagle!!!! Yessssiiiirrrrr!!!!! 

30AC8D02-DBE6-4565-B644-55DC5D80CA8D.gif

CC07A563-4A09-4392-A543-A93F6E34F272.gif

E76E1DFE-9900-4098-92AA-E1E9245AD8C0.gif

FACTS!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s officially a successful season now muhhhh dudes!!!! Woooooo!!!!! Everything else is just gravy and the cherry on top!!! 21 wins with a not overly talented team of all role players!?!? Let’s fuggin goooo bay baaaay!!!!!! War damn Bruce pearl eagle!!!! Yessssiiiirrrrr!!!!! 

I gotta give you props.

21 wins with this roster is pretty good.

• Like 3

Seeing where Sasser did not play the second half for Houston. He'll be questionable and very limited when we play them. They are very beatable. Not sure if this AU team can put together back to back good games but if we can hit even 35% of our 3s again i think we can beat them. They play great defense but its not the pressing a trapping kind of defense that has given us problems this season. Limiting offensive rebounds will be the key

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

If anything, I hope Northern Kentucky wears down Sasser for us!

That they did…I hope that kid’s healthy but cmon man. You can’t come back from a groin pull in a week. It’d be malpractice to play him against us

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is what I was telling my gma yesterday. She thought of last season as a disappointment because of how it ended, but I was telling her what makes a season a success is the overall picture 

It’ll be funny to see if a S16 or E8 appearance makes what was a consensus disappointment turn into a success, for some fans

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beating Iowa was such a relief.  I also feel like Auburn could have beat them way worse.  Houston sounds like its a little bit beat up.  Auburn might be catching them at just the right time.  If Auburn could somehow out last Bama in the tourney it would be so great.  Sounds like Bama's bracket fell apart and they have a cake walk going forward.