Men vs Iowa NCAA Tournament RD 1 Game Thread

Maverick.AU

This game was what I had hoped for at the beginning of the year. We don't have any All star type players but we have a lot of very solid players each with their own strengths and weaknesses. I thought at beginning of season that we could play tough D play a lot of players all who contributed and eventually wear teams out and win at the end of the game.

Yesterday we had 6 players score in double figures. This is what I had been looking for from beginning of season. We all knew before season we had some weaknesses but what we hoped for but did not happen was as the season progressed that some of these weaknesses would be improved on as our freshmen improved.  A healthy Westry who has some skills would have gone a long way to addressing our small guards and a player who could provide D against bigger guards and could create his own scoring opportunities. An injury prevented that but I think we will be pleasantly surprised by him next year. Traore progressing and becoming a factor this did not happen even though the potential is there he just needs to realize how tall and athletic he is and take advantage of it. We had a pleasant surprise in Donaldson who slowly progressed and provided some valuable PG minutes. 

yesterday though we got the Broome we needed soring, rebounding, blocking shots, quick hands on D in the paint. Flan played probably his best all round game of the year 10 points, 10 rebounds some assists, solid ball handling and some hard nosed defense. KD was KD some clutch 3's then celebrating instead of getting back on D but also played tough D, Zep and Berman actually played tough D but only 2 points each on O. Berman had some really clean open 3's that he missed on that would have helped a lot yesterday. Williams was a big impact in limited minutes because of foul trouble. Donaldson his best all round game of the year especially hitting those 3's. Finally Green weak on scoring at beginning of the game but played tough D and did a solid job moving the ball but in the clutch at end of game came through big time. MVP of the game though goes to Broome he did everything and often at clutch times an unexpected 3, some key blocks near end of game and just dominating inside both on O and D. 

• Like 3

So with the win over Iowa, would the consensus be that this team has now exactly MET expectations for this season?

My gut says yes and I would offer that a win over Houston would qualify as an EXCEEDS expectations for the season as a whole

• Like 8

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Limiting offensive rebounds will be the key

Bingo. Those dudes are Redwoods. Also not fouling them after they rebound is key. Keeping Broome out of foul trouble is paramount. Have to be disciplined and let them have their put-backs when they’re at point blank range. They showed last night they don’t hit every put-back.

Houston is a little undisciplined on defensive rebounding. NKU got several wide open put-backs. Have to cash in on them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

So with the win over Iowa, would the consensus be that this team has now exactly MET expectations for this season?

My gut says yes and I would offer that a win over Houston would qualify as an EXCEEDS expectations for the season as a whole

This team has gotten exactly as far as the 2018 and 2022 SEC Champions have. 

How could a win over a 1-seed to advance to the Sweet Sixteen (where those two teams did not reach) not qualify as exceeding expectations?

I lost track. The broadcast kept a running total of Green's consecutive made free throws for a while. School record at 28, then 30, then (I think) 32. If true, that's quite an accomplishment.

Green has had some disappointing moments at the close of several games. He's also been our best player in any number of games. I feel like some posters here don't give the guy enough credit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Beating Iowa was such a relief.  I also feel like Auburn could have beat them way worse.  Houston sounds like its a little bit beat up.  Auburn might be catching them at just the right time.  If Auburn could somehow out last Bama in the tourney it would be so great.  Sounds like Bama's bracket fell apart and they have a cake walk going forward. 

bama has a very easy trip to the Final Four now, only possible road block is Baylor and they're not even that good.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That they did…I hope that kid’s healthy but cmon man. You can’t come back from a groin pull in a week. It’d be malpractice to play him against us

Yep. I don't even think he played the last 15 minutes of the game...If he does play against us, I expect our guards to go right at him with our quickness. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fishepa said:

bama has a very easy trip to the Final Four now, only possible road block is Baylor and they're not even that good.

Creighton can be a dangerous 6 seed if the momentum gets going, aka beating Baylor. A bit of a sleeper.  But that game between Bay and Crei is likely the only true comp for Bama.  Maybe a sweet 16 game against a hot shooting Furman for instance could surprise.  Don't like Maryland doing anything.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I lost track. The broadcast kept a running total of Green's consecutive made free throws for a while. School record at 28, then 30, then (I think) 32. If true, that's quite an accomplishment.

Green has had some disappointing moments at the close of several games. He's also been our best player in any number of games. I feel like some posters here don't give the guy enough credit.

I'd say most people here give him a lot of credit. He can make some untimely turnovers and decision making at the close of the half but he's been our most consistent player alongside Broome. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Creighton can be a dangerous 6 seed if the momentum gets going, aka beating Baylor. A bit of a sleeper.  But that game between Bay and Crei is likely the only true comp for Bama.  Maybe a sweet 16 game against a hot shooting Furman for instance could surprise.  Don't like Maryland doing anything.

Baylor won't get past Creighton. Bama is way too deep for Creighton. Most, if not all of their production comes from their starting five. 

1 hour ago, BigBlueWDE said:

To me, the thing that matters is tourney time. That's why last year left such a sour taste in my mouth after having such a talented team do so well in the reg season only to fall flat on our faces in both the SEC and NCAA tourney.

This team wins on Saturday, and I say they exceeded expectations. And that's coming from me. I'm not known to be the most positive poster on the forum...

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Credit due to Green for his clutch FTs and driving layup. 

But his lack of a plan at the end of halves and close 2nd halves continues to be a major issue. End of the 1st half, once again, dribbled around like he thinks he’s Steph Curry thinking he’s going to find an open shot from the arc, with no backup plan. Jacks up a circus three at the buzzer. Same thing every time. Refuses to pass. Refuses to drive and kick. His only plan is a step-back three. Any everyone knows it’s coming. Beyond frustrating. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Like I said earlier in another thread, Green making free throws vs Green trying to make last minute clutch shots are two totally different players. He's our best free throw shooter and ball handler and distributor by a mile. That doesn't make him elite, it just make him the best on a team with below average guards. We need a better primary pg moving forward into next year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This is what I was telling my gma yesterday. She thought of last season as a disappointment because of how it ended, but I was telling her what makes a season a success is the overall picture 

It’ll be funny to see if a S16 or E8 appearance makes what was a consensus disappointment turn into a success, for some fans

If?? Well considering how many times in the history of the program we’ve played in the S16 and E8, yeah I’m going to say each and everyone is gonna say the season was a success. Only a moron would say otherwise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Absolutely, don’t think there’s any question about it. With where we were picked preseason to finish in the league, a first round tournament win with a second round loss sounds about right. Obviously a second round win over a #1 would exceed expectations, at least for me. 

• Like 4

bammer won't make it to the Final 4 in my opinion.....they are good for a couple of games 

6 hours ago, Viper said:

Bingo. Those dudes are Redwoods. Also not fouling them after they rebound is key. Keeping Broome out of foul trouble is paramount. Have to be disciplined and let them have their put-backs when they’re at point blank range. They showed last night they don’t hit every put-back.

Houston is a little undisciplined on defensive rebounding. NKU got several wide open put-backs. Have to cash in on them. 

Houston also prefers a slower tempo. If we can get them to run a bit, we have a legit shot. Just hoping for a respectable game. The Iowa win was really needed and hopefully a confidence booster.  All in all, the SEC had a good first round except for TAMU. 

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Houston also prefers a slower tempo. If we can get them to run a bit, we have a legit shot. Just hoping for a respectable game.

I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t think this will be a respectable game. NKU hit 15% of their 3s and were in the game with under 3 mins left. 

Yes, Houston is going to out-rebound us. Again, the key is Broome and his fouls. Let them have their 2-pointers. Don’t put them at the FT line often. If Broome stays out of foul trouble, this game will be settled in the last minute. 

Whew! Can't lie and say I wasn't worried. I feel like the world is off our shoulders with that win. I'm rooting and hoping for the best as we move forward! I knew Pearl would have something for us that we haven't seen. We had a full balanced attack. It was awesome to see

• Like 3
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Whew! Can't lie and say I wasn't worried. I feel like the world is off our shoulders with that win. I'm rooting and hoping for the best as we move forward! I knew Pearl would have something for us that we haven't seen. We had a full balanced attack. It was awesome to see

Unleashed Donaldson. Actually he just balled and Bruce stayed with him.  Berman played solid minutes.  Just don't rush his slow shot lol

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Unleashed Donaldson. Actually he just balled and Bruce stayed with him.  Berman played solid minutes.  Just don't rush his slow shot lol

I said he plays the position the way WE need it to be played earlier in the season. I figured since he went so many games without seriously playing that he wouldn't be getting too much time in the tournament, but I'm glad he is showing his potential so people can see.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I said he plays the position the way WE need it to be played earlier in the season. I figured since he went so many games without seriously playing that he wouldn't be getting too much time in the tournament, but I'm glad he is showing his potential so people can see.

He really ran the offense well when he was out there. Better than Wendell did. Actually moves the ball around. But we needed Wendell's quickness and FT shooting down the stretch though. But Tre definitely earned every minute he was out there. 

• Like 4

Playing for Charlie will have taught Tre to be a floor general.  He's young and learning but he has some real upside 

• Like 2