Friday Scrimmage Tidbits

aubiefifty

On 3/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, aubiefifty said:

here are some tidbits from the scrimmage today.

Few notes leaked today from the situational scrimmage. I'm sure some others will see some things to add.

OL is looking good. Faulk still looking like the real deal. Hunter and Alston had a good day. Fairweather had a TD today.

TJ is still looking like the best QB. Holden looked good today though and only had a couple of bad throws. Ashford had 3 turnovers.
Jarquez had a 50 yd TD.

Justin Rogers, Marcus Harris and Jayson Jones each got a sack.

D J James got a pick 6 off Robby.

Battie had a good scrimmage.

I really hope at least A QB improves a bunch, hope they all do!

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ok...........draw me a picture then please. i know better than to get into politics on this board. thanx anyone?

It's a story Biden told once, became a meme. Google his name and 'cornpop' and you'll likely find a text or video of it.

But basically CornPop was a bad dude. ;) 

Edited by Mims44
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

I really hope at least A QB improves a bunch, hope they all do!

It's a story Biden told once, became a meme. Google his name and 'cornpop' and you'll likely find a text or video of it.

But basically CornPop was a bad dude. ;) 

thank you!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

from what i understand last week the focus was on the QB's so maybe we get to hear more. i am hoping freeze does a presser to talk about fridays scrimmage. what little i have gathered is tj still leads but the light is coming on a little bit for Holden and he is getting better while robby seems to be backsliding. part of Robbys problem among many is he is holding on to the ball too long. i believe the coaches are timing all the qb's and they have so many seconds to get rid of the ball or they call it a sack. there is still very little out on fridays scrimmage but i am hoping more will come out.

CHF specifically mentioned Geriner today while talking about standouts from Friday's scrimmage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Like 2

al.com

Holden Geriner's stock rising as Auburn's spring QB play improves overall

Updated: Mar. 27, 2023, 7:28 p.m.|Published: Mar. 27, 2023, 5:49 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Hugh Freeze is feeling better about Auburn’s quarterback room than he was a week ago.

Entering the fourth week of spring practices, Freeze said the Tigers’ quarterbacks have started to make more strides when it comes to understanding the new offense and the requirements of their position within it.

“We got better last week,” Freeze said. “…I thought we improved most of the week.”

Read more Auburn football: Everything Hugh Freeze said about Auburn’s second spring scrimmage, the Tigers’ quarterbacks

Freshman cornerback Kayin Lee “like a pit bull” in Auburn’s secondary this spring

Auburn cornerback J.D. Rhym likely out remainder of spring

It was a more upbeat tune from Auburn’s first-year head coach than a week ago, when he expressed his concerns about the progress of the quarterbacks during spring practice. Last Monday, Freeze gave a blunt assessment of the quarterback room — and the passing game as a whole — when he said the position was not where it needed to be at this point in the spring, particularly when it came to the RPO aspect of the offense.

That caused Freeze, offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery and analyst Kent Austin to reassess how they are teaching the offense to the Tigers’ trio of quarterbacks: Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner. As a result, over the course of last week’s three practices, Freeze added in some additional teaching periods with the group to help them get a better grasp of the fundamentals of the offense.

Those added periods of emphasis seemed to produce the kind of results Freeze hoped for, and he said he’s starting to see “flashes” of the quarterbacks picking up on the concepts being presented to them. The group as a whole particularly made strides during last Monday and Wednesday’s practices, even if Friday’s scrimmage was more of a mixed bag.

“Some of those (scrimmages) are very hard to judge things on, because you’re not game-planning for it, and both sides are still trying to add things, and you got a play-call that really has no chance of working if they have a certain call on,” Freeze said. “Hopefully in a game, we have a better gameplan to where that happens very few times. But that happened a few times. It’s good teaching. But I thought the quarterbacks overall, we took a step forward.”

That was certainly the case for Geriner, the redshirt freshman and least experienced member of the trio vying for the starting job. Geriner appeared in just one game last season, attempting just three passes off the bench against Missouri, and he has mostly been the third quarterback in the rotation this spring.

He took advantage of an opportunity last week, however, as Ashford nursed a sore shoulder that prevented him from throwing during Wednesday’s practice and limited him during Friday’s scrimmage. Ashford’s limitations later in the week came after last Monday’s practice in which Ashford had his best day of the spring, according to Freeze. With Auburn being cautious with Ashford’s shoulder, that meant more reps with the first and second units for Geriner, who put together an impressive week of practices overall.

“I thought he really, really, really stood out all week with his improvement and his play,” Freeze said. “Not that the others didn’t improve also, but I thought he really — his grasp of what we were trying to do, he was impressive last week. But again, it’s still a competition. I think competition just is good for everybody, and how you respond to it is critical. So, the more we can create, and we’ll just keep rotating those guys to see kind of how they handle the competition.”

Geriner carried that into Monday’s practice, the tenth of the spring, when he worked with the first-team offense during the pace period that was open to the media during the early portion of the day. Geriner worked with a group that included running back Jarquez Hunter, wide receivers Ja’Varrius Johnson, Koy Moore and Nick Mardner, and tight end Rivaldo Fairweather. Finley was the second quarterback in the rotation, while Ashford was third.

That was just a small glimpse at the overall progress of the group heading into the final two weeks of spring, of course, and Freeze reiterated before Monday’s practice that the competition is far from over. The plan is for the trio of quarterbacks — and any potential additions the team makes at the position during the May transfer window — will continue into the fall.

“The offseason will play a role in leadership and how the players are responding and rallying around you,” Freeze said. “That is the most important position that we have, and so it’s going to take time to evaluate it. But I did think they all took some steps forward.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

si.com

Auburn football practice observations: Holden Geriner with the first-team

Lance Dawe
3–4 minutes

Geriner ran the first-team offense during the pace drills during Monday's practice.

The Tigers worked through a humid practice on Monday afternoon. Here are some observations.

- Special teams consisted of Cam Riley, Sean Jackson, Powell Gordon, Austin Keys, Wesley Steiner, Robert Woodyard Jr, Eugene Asante, Zion Puckett, Marquise Gilbert, and Donovan Kaufman.

- Hugh Freeze told the media that Robby Ashford was dealing with shoulder soreness. Ashford was still out there throwing and was inconsistent - as were Finley and Geriner.

- Holden Geriner was QB1 with the first-team in the pace drills. The entire first-team:

WR: Nick Mardner

TE: Rivaldo Fairweater

LT: Dillon Wade

LG: Izavion Miller

😄 Avery Jones

RG: Jeremiah Wright

RT: Gunner Britton

WR: Ja'Varrius Johnson

WR: Koy Moore

QB: Holden Geriner

RB: Jarquez Hunter

- Second team offense finished the pace drill with a touchdown to Landen King in the right corner of the endzone:

WR: Landen King

TE: Micah Riley-Ducker

LT: Garner Langlo

LG: Colby Smith

😄 Connor Lew

RG: EJ Harris

RT: Izavion Miller

TE: Brandon Frazier

WR: Omari Kelly

QB: TJ Finley

RB: Damari Alston

- Third team stuck on the ground for the majority of the drive, with Ashford throwing a completion to Tar'Varish Dawson:

WR: Jackson Billings

TE: Tyler Fromm

LT: Evan Richards

LG: Bradyn Joiner

😄 Cort Bradley

RG: Jalil Irvin

RT: Clay Wedin

WR: Jake Kruse

WR: Tar'Varish Dawson

QB: Robby Ashford

RB: Sean Jackson

- Quarterbacks were inconsistent on throws with the receivers, but overall looked better than weeks past.

- Luke Deal was among several players that dropped passes.

- A handful of overthrows to Fairweather/other receivers, but QBs were solid on timing.

- Camden Brown was back at practice. Looked smooth as he along with some of the other taller receivers worked deep routes.

- Kayin Lee and Nehemiah Pritchett look smooth. Lee doesn't look like a freshman.

- Linebackers and DBs were working in coverage. Steiner and McAllister were working against each other. Lee was playing outside corner. Jaylin Simpson seems to be getting more time at safety. Marquise Gilbert was closer in the box.

- Robert Woodyard and Cam Riley were inside the box as linebackers.

- Justin Rogers does not look like one to mess with. Mammoth of a human being. Auburn has some legitimate size on their defensive line overall.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Wow.. I see alot of terrible throws by the QBS. Going against air no less. How do u not complete every pass against air? If it has improved this week, as Danny Hugh says it has. I would hate to see last week

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

does it creep anyone else out these practice videos have no audio? i need that chatter i guess along with an occasional period horn.

15 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Robbie has a sore shoulder? That’s not good.

Robbie is always hurt when things are going bad for him. Robbie needs a sports psychologist. Lots of talent but not great attitude.  

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

21 hours ago, bg5 said:

Robbie is always hurt when things are going bad for him. Robbie needs a sports psychologist. Lots of talent but not great attitude.  

I hope you literally have a personal relationship with him to be able to say that

• Like 6

Glad to hear about getting size on defense. I think what many people missed when harsin was here as far as defense.....we transitioned to a 3-4 without size up front, not only lack of size but no depth as well. That's why I thought it was crazy to complain about the d that year. D did very well with what we had to work with.

I'm glad to hear that we will now at least have the physical capability to do some damage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Glad to hear about getting size on defense. I think what many people missed when harsin was here as far as defense.....we transitioned to a 3-4 without size up front, not only lack of size but no depth as well. That's why I thought it was crazy to complain about the d that year. D did very well with what we had to work with.

I'm glad to hear that we will now at least have the physical capability to do some damage.

Not to mention the lack of rotation on the dlinemen and the ones that did play were worn out by the end of the game and season. Seems like rotation is a big part for the new defense linemen coach, like Garner did when he was here.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

Not to mention the lack of rotation on the dlinemen and the ones that did play were worn out by the end of the game and season. Seems like rotation is a big part for the new defense linemen coach, like Garner did when he was here.

Yes. That Mississippi st game really showed it. Played a team with a high tempo. The tale of two halves. 100% vs fatigued. Didn't help that the offense at times wouldn't get a first down. 

And so many on here felt that blitzing would solve it all. People don't understand what selling out blitzing does as far as stamina, and I'm talking about guys that are in incredible shape. By the end of the game you may literally not have anybody left at the end of the game to even line up. 

But yeah I'm glad to see us getting things back in order. It's just so disappointing that we let ourselves even get so depleted in the first place

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We basically had Marcus Harris and Colby Wooden (both under 280) playing DT and even NT some when they should have been rotating DE. We were very undersized up front for what we were running. Yea, we had the big transfer kid Fair that maybe gave us 15 snaps a game at NT. I wasn't thrilled with the coaching at times either, though. Both things can be true sometimes. My coaching complaint was often more related to coverages than blitzing. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We basically had Marcus Harris and Colby Wooden (both under 280) playing DT and even NT some when they should have been rotating DE. We were very undersized up front for what we were running. Yea, we had the big transfer kid Fair that maybe gave us 15 snaps a game at NT. I wasn't thrilled with the coaching at times either, though. Both things can be true sometimes. My coaching complaint was often more related to coverages than blitzing. 

Yes we had the one guy that was hurt in summer and he was apparently playing the best out of all of them. On top of that our linebackers were small and once again we didn't have the size up front to keep blockers off of them. Then pappoe was hurt I believe. I think smoke had time when he was hurt so that meant another captain gone and somebody with hardly no experience playing. 

On top of all of that it was our first year in the defense. It wasn't close to being perfect by any means. But in my opinion with all that we discussed, first year implementing the defense, finding out Harsin is interfering and being so inconsistent on the offense, etc. I think the defense actually over performed. 

I remember right when bammer got good, their defense was in place but it still sucked and it seemed like as soon as they got that big ass nose tackle, I think his name was Cody or something like that, but as soon as they got him their defense transformed. Nose tackle is the most important piece of a 3-4. We were without. 

On 3/28/2023 at 2:37 PM, bg5 said:

Dude's shoulder was so bad last season that he could not sleep yet you make such an asinine comment. You have no idea what these guys go through, Mr. Couch Potato. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:33 AM, cole256 said:

I hope you literally have a personal relationship with him to be able to say that

Anyone close enough to him to make that comment would not make that comment.  

On 3/29/2023 at 11:33 AM, cole256 said:

I have watched him play since he was in high school. This is not a new thing. 

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Anyone close enough to him to make that comment would not make that comment.  

I'm not close to him personally but I have seen all his games in high school and now college and this is a pretty consistent pattern. I'm not saying he never gets hurt I'm just saying he has a tendency to act hurt when things are going bad.  

On 3/29/2023 at 1:48 PM, maryland tiger said:

Dude's shoulder was so bad last season that he could not sleep yet you make such an asinine comment. You have no idea what these guys go through, Mr. Couch Potato. 

I'm not saying he never gets hurt just saying he isn't always hurt when he acts like it. I've watched him for years. I don't doubt he is really hurt sometimes.