Three 3rd graders, three adults killed by shooter at Nashville elementary school

TitanTiger

12 hours ago, arein0 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Conservatives want us to practice isolationism, ie stop spending on helping other countries and use that money to improve us? If we stop providing aide to the rest of the world, who are they going to look to for help? How does it look to our southern border that we are wanting to build a wall to keep them out? Don't you think their leaders would take that as an insult?

Yeah I think you are wrong.;D

13 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Like I said, I might be wrong, but here is where I got my assumption that Conservatives were isolationist. Maybe they weren't previously in favor of isolating, but it is growing in popularity?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/desantis-sharpens-divide-between-republican-isolationists-hawks-over-ukraine-2023-03-15/

12 hours ago, arein0 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Conservatives want us to practice isolationism, ie stop spending on helping other countries and use that money to improve us? If we stop providing aide to the rest of the world, who are they going to look to for help? How does it look to our southern border that we are wanting to build a wall to keep them out? Don't you think their leaders would take that as an insult?

Are you seriously concerned about how it looks to our southern neighbor that we  want to build a wall to stop illegal immigration, criminals (and potential terrorists) and literally tons and tons of drugs from pouring into our country completely uncontrolled?  

First - if they are offended because we are taking necessary steps to protect our border - so what?  I’m much more concerned with us taking care of our own national interests first.   If they don’t want the wall, they sure aren’t doing anything on their side to secure the border.  

Also, if you’re concerned about perception, aren’t you concerned about our complete incompetence in securing the border and allowing our nation to be taken advantage of?  

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Are you seriously concerned about how it looks to our southern neighbor that we  want to build a wall to stop illegal immigration, criminals (and potential terrorists) and literally tons and tons of drugs from pouring into our country completely uncontrolled?  

First - if they are offended because we are taking necessary steps to protect our border - so what?  I’m much more concerned with us taking care of our own national interests first.   If they don’t want the wall, they sure aren’t doing anything on their side to secure the border.  

Also, if you’re concerned about perception, aren’t you concerned about our complete incompetence in securing the border and allowing our nation to be taken advantage of?  

My questions were in response to the comment about Mexico asking for China's help in dealing with fetanyl. 

37 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

This comment below shows I'm somewhat right about isolationism and conservatives. 

6 minutes ago, GoAU said:

First - if they are offended because we are taking necessary steps to protect our border - so what?  I’m much more concerned with us taking care of our own national interests first. 

34 minutes ago, arein0 said:

My questions were in response to the comment about Mexico asking for China's help in dealing with fetanyl. 

Got it - my bad if I took you out of context.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, arein0 said:

This comment below shows I'm somewhat right about isolationism and conservatives. 

I’m wouldn’t say putting our interests first is isolationism.   

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 2:20 PM, AU9377 said:

I think it is disgusting that we will now hear questions about why this small Christian school didn't have enough security or a door was or wasn't locked.  WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS IN THIS COUNTRY!

When we cannot leave the doors to an elementary school unlocked due to fears about those children being killed, we have a problem within our society.  Some groups, like the NRA, seem to want us to be more like South Africa or parts of central America than countries like Australia, Germany or Norway.  This should not be a political issue.

If you cannot look around and understand that we have too many damn guns in this country, you just don't want to look. Just like any other issue, it would be nice if we didn't have to legislate controls and people just did the right thing.  Unfortunately they don't.  Therefore the choice is to do something or just watch and do nothing.

Is it the guns fault?.....Would like to know whether or not this young lady was pumped full of adderall at a young age.?

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Is it the guns fault?.....Would like to know whether or not this young lady was pumped full of adderall at a young age.?

Fault and finding solutions are not the same.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kevon67 said:

You should research other countries.  Do they have "behavior" drugs?  Do they have a society full of military grade weapons?  What is the rate of mass shootings?

Is it strictly the guns or,,, is it the mentality of the gun culture?  Thanks for raising valid questions.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, GoAU said:

Our interests?  The only interests being furthered are the interests of Wall St.

They don't care about "our" interests, they care nothing about the interests of humanity. 

On 4/8/2023 at 2:28 PM, GoAU said:

But that's pretty much how every isolationist in our history has framed the issue - "America First"!

It's naive and shortsighted.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, homersapien said:

But that's pretty much how every isolationist in our history has framed the issue - "America First"!

It's naive and shortsighted.

I’m “almost” shocked and speechless by this response.  At a glance it would seem as if you would advocate NOT taking care of the interests of our nation as the #1 priority just based on the perception of how it “might” appear. Or be perceived.   

Regardless of the cosmetics, this IS the role of our government and its first priority.   Now that is not to say we hide under a rock and let the rest of the world burn, as eventually that becomes a problem for us as well, but if we don’t balance our priorities properly we’ll be so deep in debt it won’t matter anyway.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

If America doesn't take care of America first, it's a certainty no other nation will.

Nonsense. :-\   Why would you expect other countries to take care of America first. 

Regardless of the blunders we make from time to time, every other democratic country in the world respects America politically and looks to us for leadership in championing democracy. 

If we have a responsibility to take care of ourselves (first), it resides only in our position to remain a preeminent global power promoting democracy in the rest of the world.  (It's the same as a parent putting their oxygen mask on first.)

• Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, GoAU said:

I’m “almost” shocked and speechless by this response.  At a glance it would seem as if you would advocate NOT taking care of the interests of our nation as the #1 priority just based on the perception of how it “might” appear. Or be perceived.   

Regardless of the cosmetics, this IS the role of our government and its first priority.   Now that is not to say we hide under a rock and let the rest of the world burn, as eventually that becomes a problem for us as well, but if we don’t balance our priorities properly we’ll be so deep in debt it won’t matter anyway.  

First, if you are "shocked and speechless" then you obviously don't know much about the history of "America First" as a political slogan. 

I suggest you do some research.  It's virtually synonymous with isolationism. 

Secondly, "how we are perceived" is totally irrelevant.  I am referring to what is in our interests, and if history teaches us anything, our interest is inextricably tied to global interest.  like it or not, we are a global power (if not empire). 

Failure to act in accord with that fact is not in our interest.

Edited by homersapien

57 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, if you are "shocked and speechless" then you obviously don't know much about the history of "America First" as a political slogan. 

I suggest you do some research.  It's virtually synonymous with isolationism. 

Secondly, "how we are perceived" is totally irrelevant.  I am referring to what is in our interests, and if history teaches us anything, our interest is inextricably tied to global interest.  like it or not, we are a global power (if not empire). 

Failure to act in accord with that fact is not in our interest.

I think we appear to be "violently agreeing".  I am not at all in support of isolationism.  I am in support of putting our national interest above that of the rest of the world though..

A quick example - I was 100% for withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord.   The way it was crafted was complete garbage.  I supported Trump when he withdrew.  I think the big opportunity he missed was to say we would commit the equivalent funds to help the environment here in the US and US companies rather than sending our money to countries like China and India and making their manufacturing operations more modern than ours.   

Edited by GoAU
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

Nonsense. :-\   Why would you expect other countries to take care of America first. 

I don't. That's why America needs to take care of America first.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't. That's why America needs to take care of America first.

First, every country "takes care of itself first". 

Secondly aiding or supporting other countries is not a zero sum game.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GoAU said:

I think we appear to be "violently agreeing".  I am not at all in support of isolationism.  I am in support of putting our national interest above that of the rest of the world though..

A quick example - I was 100% for withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord.   The way it was crafted was complete garbage.  I supported Trump when he withdrew.  I think the big opportunity he missed was to say we would commit the equivalent funds to help the environment here in the US and US companies rather than sending our money to countries like China and India and making their manufacturing operations more modern than ours.   

The Paris Accords didn't impose anything on the U.S.  It served as a global forum to address the problem. 

And you seem to be looking past the fact it is a global problem. We are all ultimately subjected to the progress - or lack thereof -  of the global effort, regardless of what we do as in individual country.

Trump never understood any of that.  Withdrawing from the accords was counter-productive in every respect, including to our own interests.

• Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, every country "takes care of itself first". 

Secondly aiding or supporting other countries is not a zero sum game.

It's a question of degree. Giving billions of dollars to nations that hate us is not a zero sum game, it's a loser of a game.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

It's a question of degree. Giving billions of dollars to nations that hate us is not a zero sum game, it's a loser of a game.

Got an example?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

I think you should re-read my post.   I certainly wasn’t implying that anyone should take care of us, except us.  However, there are numerous examples where we support other nations, to our own detriment.  

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

The Paris Accords didn't impose anything on the U.S.  It served as a global forum to address the problem. 

And you seem to be looking past the fact it is a global problem. We are all ultimately subjected to the progress - or lack thereof -  of the global effort, regardless of what we do as in individual country.

Trump never understood any of that.  Withdrawing from the accords was counter-productive in every respect, including to our own interests.

How much were we paying into the Paris Accord and where was the money being spent?  We were absolutely paying more than other nations, especially with regards to the amount of emissions we are generating.   

The environment is a global problem, but nations like China and India don’t give a flip about it and expect us to pay them to improve - that’s the wrong answer.   

20 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I think you should re-read my post.   I certainly wasn’t implying that anyone should take care of us, except us.  However, there are numerous examples where we support other nations, to our own detriment.  

You didn't say that.  Mikey did.

20 minutes ago, GoAU said:

IHow much were we paying into the Paris Accord and where was the money being spent?  We were absolutely paying more than other nations, especially with regards to the amount of emissions we are generating.   

The environment is a global problem, but nations like China and India don’t give a flip about it and expect us to pay them to improve - that’s the wrong answer.   

The Paris Accords is not an executive organization. It is a global forum set in place to establish an agreement (treaty) for all nations for the purpose of addressing global warming.  

Whatever money we spend on reducing global warming goes to the cause of reducing emissions.  We don't pay the Paris accord anything for executing such measures. 

And considering the historical role of the U.S. in creating the problem - not to mention we are currently the highest emitter of greenhouse gases per capita by far - your protests about other countries doing their part is not persuasive, it's both hypocritical and parochial. 

And if you really think India and China "don't give a flip" about addressing global warming, you need to do some research.

Try: "India (or China) global warming initatives"