Three 3rd graders, three adults killed by shooter at Nashville elementary school

TitanTiger

It's a private Christian school in perhaps the nicest area of Nashville.  Just minutes from where I lived for a while when I was still living in Nashville.

Son of a bitch.

Shooter is a 28-year old woman and she was killed by police.  She was armed with two assault-style rifles and a handgun.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2023/03/27/covenant-school-nashville-shooting-green-hills/70052363007/

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Wow. Can’t recall a female mass shooter.

The YouTube one a few years back. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Sad that there are so many I can’t recall.

They're pretty rare, yeah. 

3 more kids dead because conservatives want to continue their seal team cosplay.  I’ll tell you what. I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for the victims of this senseless preventable bullsh*t, but as a father getting ready to send a son to school in 2 years, the fear and anxiousness is getting all too real. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Wow. Can’t recall a female mass shooter.

There are very few of them.  Female mass shooters typical use handguns and shoot people in an inner city residence.  The national media takes no interest.   

C9DD865B-7A3E-4404-9279-686440E82432.jpeg

• Facepalm 1

I think it is disgusting that we will now hear questions about why this small Christian school didn't have enough security or a door was or wasn't locked.  WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS IN THIS COUNTRY!

When we cannot leave the doors to an elementary school unlocked due to fears about those children being killed, we have a problem within our society.  Some groups, like the NRA, seem to want us to be more like South Africa or parts of central America than countries like Australia, Germany or Norway.  This should not be a political issue.

If you cannot look around and understand that we have too many damn guns in this country, you just don't want to look. Just like any other issue, it would be nice if we didn't have to legislate controls and people just did the right thing.  Unfortunately they don't.  Therefore the choice is to do something or just watch and do nothing.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

The YouTube one a few years back. 

Yep, she was a 38 year old Iranian American woman who had a major grudge against YouTube for not paying her for video views. She used a 9mm pistol and shot 20 times.  She wounded 3 people and saved the last round to commit suicide. 

• Sad 1

It only took the Nashville police 14 minutes from being called, responding and killing the shooter.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I think it is disgusting that we will now hear questions about why this small Christian school didn't have enough security or a door was or wasn't locked.  WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS IN THIS COUNTRY!

When we cannot leave the doors to an elementary school unlocked due to fears about those children being killed, we have a problem within our society.  Some groups, like the NRA, seem to want us to be more like South Africa or parts of central America than countries like Australia, Germany or Norway.  This should not be a political issue.

If you cannot look around and understand that we have too many damn guns in this country, you just don't want to look. Just like any other issue, it would be nice if we didn't have to legislate controls and people just did the right thing.  Unfortunately they don't.  Therefore the choice is to do something or just watch and do nothing.

You’re wasting your breath. The Republican Party (The party of death and destruction) would just assumed continuously watch children be murdered at mass than to give up their made up freedom to own an AR. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

The only question is,,, how many more do we need to see?  How many before people become more important than politics?

There isn’t a timeline for that. As long as conservatives exist and gun lobbyists control our legislative branch, we will never progress. The whole point of the reason conservatives exist is to maintain the traditions of a more primitive time. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

She was a former student at the school. Doesn't matter but she may have had some kind of grudge. The church is a Presbyterian Church (PCUSA). I wonder if  their position on March 27 re. trans procedures for minors had anything to do with it.? Time will tell but I hope  they can determine the motive.

Edited by Son of A Tiger

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You’re wasting your breath. The Republican Party (The party of death and destruction) would just assumed continuously watch children be murdered at mass than to give up their made up freedom to own an AR. 

@Son of A TigerI noticed your downvote. Do you actually deny this statement?

4 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Absolutely!! Are you serious in what you said?

So you’re claiming that that republicans are behind a national assault rifle ban in order to increase the safety of school children?

• Facepalm 1

There isn’t a timeline for that. As long as conservatives exist and gun lobbyists control our legislative branch, we will never progress. The whole point of the reason conservatives exist is to maintain the traditions of a more primitive time. 

You can't possibly be naive enough to think that all conservative minded people are ok with this because that is what you are implying. I don't want assault rifles out there either but I do know they won't magically disappear if they are outlawed. It would be great if they would but it's not happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

You can't possibly be naive enough to think that all conservative minded people are ok with this because that is what you are implying. I don't want assault rifles out there either but I do know they won't magically disappear if they are outlawed. It would be great if they would but it's not happening.

Ok I’ll concede that not all conservatives are ok with this, but for the most part, we haven’t made progress on it, because conservatives are creating a roadblock to progress. Can you not agree with that?

• Like 1

I think this is a little exaggerated. Correct me if I'm wrong Republicans, but I think their stance is that guns aren't the cause of the issues, but mental health is. I agree with this in that mental health is the root problem.

Where I think they overlook is how easy it is to acquire a gun, even if you are mentally unstable.

I think in order to buy your first gun, you should be required to take a mental health exam, take a gun safety and proper storage class, and have your gun registered. After you have it registered, you are now partially responsible for what happens with it. So if it was used in a crime, even if you weren't there, you would be charged with a lesser crime.

Putting this in place would still provide your 2nd amendment rights and provide provisions/trainings to the people that want to own a gun.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So you’re claiming that that republicans are behind a national assault rifle ban in order to increase the safety of school children?

No but I don't think they are what you describe. See gr82be post above.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ok I’ll concede that not all conservatives are ok with this, but for the most part, we haven’t made progress on it, because conservatives are creating a roadblock to progress. Can you not agree with that?

Do you think Wisconsin is a conservative state?

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

I think this is a little exaggerated. Correct me if I'm wrong Republicans, but I think their stance is that guns aren't the cause of the issues, but mental health is. I agree with this in that mental health is the root problem.

This line of thinking would lend itself to the idea that mental health issues are over 10x worth in America than in every other country on earth. Do you believe that?

• Like 1