I am as confused as someone can be about what is smack talk and what is political debate.

AU9377

Therefore, I will just start any thread concerning politics in the Smack Talk section.  To me, smack talk should be whether Biden is senile or Tump is a rapist.  It should not be Disney filing suit against DeSantis or Fox "News" settling defamation suits. 

It is simpler to just not guess.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Therefore, I will just start any thread concerning politics in the Smack Talk section.  To me, smack talk should be whether Biden is senile or Tump is a rapist.  It should not be Disney filing suit against DeSantis or Fox "News" settling defamation suits. 

It is simpler to just not guess.

What particular post are you referencing?

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

What particular post are you referencing?

There really isn't just one.  This isn't even a complaint.  I don't mind discussing things in whatever thread the mods and administrators want them discussed.  I'm just not good at pretending something makes sense when, in my mind, it makes so little. 

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

There really isn't just one.  This isn't even a complaint.  I don't mind discussing things in whatever thread the mods and administrators want them discussed.  I'm just not good at pretending something makes sense when, in my mind, it makes so little. 

There can be great topics and discussions in either forum. In the smack forum a thread can start with a link or a link and sentence or comment, but the political forum requires a more genuine effort at starting a conversation and expressing your opinion in a meaningful way.

Drive by postings of editorials unaccompanied by your own thoughts are not permitted. If what you are posting is worthy of comment and discussion, as the original poster you need initiate the commentary/discussion.

Just put everything in the Smack Talk Forum and you will be fine. I gave lone ago trying to define what is and isn't smack talk. 

Its kind of like Whataboutism. Homey can drag multiple trump whataboutisms into any thread and yet NEVER gets called out for it...EVER.

So what is a Whataboutism? It seems that all depends on the poster. The Lets Go Brandon thread is a homage to all things whataboutism. I think I stopped counting with homey at 8 whataboutism posts on trump. But we all know there are certain posters that get away with anything on the forum and are NEVER EVER called out about it. Thread is 32 pages of jokes about Biden interspersed with homey doing whataboutism after whataboutism....and NEVER getting the reins pulled in.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

It's not an exact science.  We have some basic guidelines to help with it, but sometimes things are borderline.  Or they start well but devolve into smack talk.  We're just trying to have a space where people with the willingness and mental capacity to have more serious discussions don't have to wade through the inanities of certain folks whose argumentation style hasn't progressed past 9th grade level.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

The Lets Go Brandon thread is a homage to all things whataboutism. I think I stopped counting with homey at 8 whataboutism posts on trump. But we all know there are certain posters that get away with anything on the forum and are NEVER EVER called out about it. Thread is 32 pages of jokes about Biden interspersed with homey doing whataboutism after whataboutism....and NEVER getting the reins pulled in.

That entire thread is a joke that no one should give a s*** about in the first place.  It was quarantined into the Smack Forum so most people could ignore it.  Maybe I should just lock it?

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

It's not an exact science.  We have some basic guidelines to help with it, but sometimes things are borderline.  Or they start well but devolve into smack talk.  We're just trying to have a space where people with the willingness and mental capacity to have more serious discussions don't have to wade through the inanities of certain folks whose argumentation style hasn't progressed past 9th grade level.

And also where folks just post links and make no real argument. That takes about 2 seconds and can flood the forum pretty quickly. I post a lot in the smack forum on topics I hope take off, but don’t have the time at the moment to make a post worthy of the main political forum.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Just put everything in the Smack Talk Forum and you will be fine. I gave lone ago trying to define what is and isn't smack talk. 

Its kind of like Whataboutism. Homey can drag multiple trump whataboutisms into any thread and yet NEVER gets called out for it...EVER.

So what is a Whataboutism? It seems that all depends on the poster. The Lets Go Brandon thread is a homage to all things whataboutism. I think I stopped counting with homey at 8 whataboutism posts on trump. But we all know there are certain posters that get away with anything on the forum and are NEVER EVER called out about it. Thread is 32 pages of jokes about Biden interspersed with homey doing whataboutism after whataboutism....and NEVER getting the reins pulled in.

I started the *Lets Go Brandon* thread to highlight the insane proposal of giving every undocumented alien $450,000.  I kept it going because I thought back and realized Homer spent 4 years posting article after article about his and others amateur psychological analysis of Trump and it might be a good way of showing how Biden is, mentally, incapable of running the country.  It actually became ridiculous after a year or so, but undaunted, it was kept up until he was out of office.  

What is interesting is just after 1 and a half years of exposing Biden’s (Brandon’s) bafoonery the Admin is suggesting to lock the thread.  It does bring up your point of some people never get the reins pulled in.  If the Admin does lock the thread is will show the left (and this forum) is as intolerant of criticism as they think the right is.

By locking that thread it will not prevent Biden from saying incoherent things, walking off the stage not knowing where to go, showing his weakness on he international stage and promoting child mutilation.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

This makes sense to me.

9 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

You are lying again. No surprise there.  

Liars gotta lie.

• Haha 1

i thought the smack talk was for those that want to get "snarky". it sounds like to me some of you just do not want someone posting because you do not like what or how they are saying it. now i try to stay on the smack talk board because that is what i do. but it appears some might just want to limit what is said by certain people and this is sad. freedom of speech and all that. and let me say just about every one on the pol boards break rules all the time. it is not just one or two. some of you complaining do it. all you have to do is go back and read. one cat even just told me two hours ago he was not required to post a link because it was smack talk. really? some post topics and if any discussion come out of it they usually join in but not always. i understand rules but lets not destroy the reason these boards are here. they provide a lot of info and i normally learn something  new every day. but lets not cripple the boards where it is not fun. and i would like to say i have never told anyone how to post or to shut up. i am also big enough to apologize when i am wrong or go to far. no one else does. i give it and i freely admit it but so do many across the aisle but you guys on the right NEVER apologize when you are wrong about anything. ok i am going back to my board i can relax some in.

It all winds up in "smack talk".  The responses alone will guarantee that.

This country - much less this forum - is not ready for serious political discussion, if not incapable.

• Like 2

To Homer and DKW.

I love you both dearly.  Please stop the war.  I would consider it a personal favor.

I understand that at times things get heated.  I do not understand why you both continue.

Please.

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I think it's great in theory, but in practice, it would require a lot of moderation. 

Ideally, you'd simply delete individual posts that don't meet the standards instead of moving the OP.  That would be too much work for the moderators IMO.

(And "9th grade" is being very generous.  ;D)

Just now, icanthearyou said:

To Homer and DKW.

I love you both dearly.  Please stop the war.  I would consider it a personal favor.

I understand that at times things get heated.  I do not understand why you both continue.

Please.

He started it.  ;D

I'm about to put him on back on "ignore" but apparently, I now live in his head.  

i like dkw quite a bit.and homes i like you  as well. if you ignore someone you you just remove the chance to make things straight. i am an ol geezer with barely two years of college so i am no expert on right and wrong.at the end of the day both of you guys wants what is best for america. i would hope both of you guys better angels would rise up and get past this.