First Seriously Competitive Republican Candidate Has Declared

homersapien

I'm still a very heavy DeSantis lean.

But to be honest, Biden's approval rating is like 30ish % - I think ANYONE would be a competitive candidate...  But our current party system will make any candidate either side puts up somewhat competitive.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I'm still a very heavy DeSantis lean.

But to be honest, Biden's approval rating is like 30ish % - I think ANYONE would be a competitive candidate...  But our current party system will make any candidate either side puts up somewhat competitive.

DeSantis is Trump's "mini-me". 

He might be more competitive than Trump, but he'd still lose IMO.  (But Trump will get the nomination.  Don't forget, he's got the cult behind him.)

The "approval rating" is meaningless, especially at this point.

• Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

DeSantis is Trump's "mini-me". 

He might be more competitive than Trump, but he'd still lose IMO.  (But Trump will get the nomination.  Don't forget, he's got the cult behind him.)

The "approval rating" is meaningless, especially at this point.

Desantis is much more dangerous than Trump. 

29 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Can't believe this hasn't been brought up yet. 

Now this guy could beat Biden. (Not that he would get my vote.)

Asa Hutchinson formally launches bid for 2024 GOP presidential nomination (msn.com)

I like Asa.  But yeah, I cannot vote to empower a party that believes the poor, the immigrants, and the "woke" are the problem.  I cannot vote to empower a party willing to destroy public education, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid.  I cannot vote to empower a party that now refers to democracy as "mob rule".

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I like Asa.  But yeah, I cannot vote to empower a party that believes the poor, the immigrants, and the "woke" are the problem.  I cannot vote to empower a party willing to destroy public education, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid.  I cannot vote to empower a party that now refers to democracy as "mob rule".

The Republicans have never said the poor or immigrants are the problem.  Uncontrolled immigration however IS a problem, and that's what we have today.   

Public education by and large is ALREADY destroyed - in many cases they are more worried about indoctrination than education.   There is absolutely no reason the schools should teach more than facts, but instead too many teachers try to assert their morals and beliefs, which is completely unacceptable.  As to your last comment - pure Democracy (which is NOT our system of government BTW) is just mob rule.  

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 2

9 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I cannot vote to empower a party willing to destroy public education, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid. 

Education: We are already ranked no better than 17th-18th or lower in the World in Education in STEM Classes. We are Top Three in spending and barely Top 20 in results. I truly do not know how anyone can look into the details of Education in America and not want to start all over again. 

Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid: This is where I just cant even give the Reps even a moment of my time. They are WrongAF about what to do and where to go with these subjects. 

11 hours ago, GoAU said:

The Republicans have never said the poor or immigrants are the problem.  Uncontrolled immigration however IS a problem, and that's what we have today.   

Public education by and large is ALREADY destroyed - in many cases they are more worried about indoctrination than education.   There is absolutely no reason the schools should teach more than facts, but instead too many teachers try to assert their morals and beliefs, which is completely unacceptable.  As to your last comment - pure Democracy (which is NOT our system of government BTW) is just mob rule.  

Republicans are not really supportive of immigration except for Eastern European wives.

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Education: We are already ranked no better than 17th-18th or lower in the World in Education in STEM Classes. We are Top Three in spending and barely Top 20 in results. I truly do not know how anyone can look into the details of Education in America and not want to start all over again. 

I can understand why someone from Alabama would say that.   Forty fifth out of 50 is poor.  Taking money out of the education budget to build prisons probably doesn't help.

All of the problems in our country can be related back to extreme income inequality.

The educational system itself is not stand alone.  It is part of our entire societal structure.  I think we need solutions that have a little more thought than just,,, blow it up and start all over again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Most other developed countries "weed out" lower performing students before they even reach high school, leaving only the top students left to be scored and be educated. No wonder, on average, they graduate more kids and perform better on standardized exams — only the best performing kids are allowed testing and a chance of graduation. Of course they will score better; when you take average scores of only high performing students, and compare them to average scores of all students, there will be a discrepancy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorta, kinda true -- only higher performing students qualify for entry into top universities. HOWEVER, there are universities that accept students with lower grades. And even the lowest scoring students are eligible for free education in top quality technical university programs and end up in high-paying jobs for skilled positions, like union factory and corporate support staff.

Nobody is left behind. With universal healthcare, universal maternal/paternal support systems, etc, every citizen is a CITIZEN deserving respect.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, AURex said:

Sorta, kinda true -- only higher performing students qualify for entry into top universities. HOWEVER, there are universities that accept students with lower grades. And even the lowest scoring students are eligible for free education in top quality technical university programs and end up in high-paying jobs for skilled positions, like union factory and corporate support staff.

Nobody is left behind. With universal healthcare, universal maternal/paternal support systems, etc, every citizen is a CITIZEN deserving respect.

This! ^

We have a friend who remained in Norway and raised her kids there after her husband died while working there. 

In their educational system, all kids are educated in basic life-skills through high school - what we might call "home economics" and have ample opportunities for vocational training on top of that.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 1:37 PM, icanthearyou said:

I can understand why someone from Alabama would say that.   Forty fifth out of 50 is poor.  Taking money out of the education budget to build prisons probably doesn't help.

All of the problems in our country can be related back to extreme income inequality.

The educational system itself is not stand alone.  It is part of our entire societal structure.  I think we need solutions that have a little more thought than just,,, blow it up and start all over again.

We have had 40 years of failure. Why would we ever keep investing in more failure?

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, JMWATS said:

Most other developed countries "weed out" lower performing students before they even reach high school, leaving only the top students left to be scored and be educated. No wonder, on average, they graduate more kids and perform better on standardized exams — only the best performing kids are allowed testing and a chance of graduation. Of course they will score better; when you take average scores of only high performing students, and compare them to average scores of all students, there will be a discrepancy.

Link please.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, homersapien said:

This! ^

We have a friend who remained in Norway and raised her kids there after her husband died while working there. 

In their educational system, all kids are educated in basic life-skills through high school - what we might call "home economics" and have ample opportunities for vocational training on top of that.

This is needed in the USA.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 8:00 AM, TexasTiger said:

Republicans are not really supportive of immigration except for Eastern European wives.

Do you have a phobia of beautiful, sexy, educated, classy women? (I know you don't. J/K)

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

This is needed in the USA.

I support this for all of America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Do you have a phobia of beautiful, sexy, educated, classy women? (I know you don't. J/K)

I’d let those women immigrate from anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:11 PM, icanthearyou said:

You may as well sit this one out. Your D vote is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

We have had 40 years of failure. Why would we ever keep investing in more failure?

Indeed, we have moved to the political right for the past 50+ years. 

Most of you see parties.  However, I see two political interests, capital and society.  We need to restore balance.  There is only one party who makes any effort, albeit, a minimal one.

Nothing will progress until we restore the "government of the people" by ending paid lobbying, reform our tax structure, end PACs, reform campaign finance.  Still, voting for the party that will not accelerate our decline seems like a good idea.  Simply look at the last 100 years of American history.  Balancing the two political interests serves everyone's best interests.

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Nothing will progress until we restore the "government of the people" by ending paid lobbying, reform our tax structure, end PACs, reform campaign finance.  Still, voting for the party that will not accelerate our decline seems like a good idea.  Simply look at the last 100 years of American history.  Balancing the two political interests serves everyone's best interests.

The Party of Money owns America. I have no delusions about the Republicans at all. They have good people in the party but overall, the leadership is tanked. The Dems? They arent as bad but they seem to be heading in the same direction as the Reps. They are owned just by different people. No one is in support of the middle class.