NIL Discussion

Win4AU

I've said this in a couple other threads but the ROI on these athletes isn't going to match the money the businesses are paying out.  Especially mom and pop businesses.  I don't think they can count this as a tax write off either like they can a charitable contribution to their favorite university.  I also saw an article talking about how Title IX could come into play if the men are getting higher paying NIL than the women.  In that case you could see "bag men" become even worse than before if teams are trying to hide money from reporting.  

This isn't like Nascar where the Oline is sporting a big Byrons BBQ patch on their Auburn jersey.  You may be the biggest Auburn fan but at the end of the day it becomes more of a vanity project than an actual marketing strategy.  When it comes to fans donating to the NIL you'll have the diehards willing to donate but most families aren't going to regularly donate $$$ so the football team can attract top notch players. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Title IX could come into play if the men are getting higher paying NIL than the women

What is a woman? 👀🤯🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

This isn't like Nascar where the Oline is sporting a big Byrons BBQ patch on their Auburn jersey

yet. Maybe that’s the next evolution…

Edited by AUINSY
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

What is a woman? 👀🤯🤷‍♂️

The whole what is a woman thing is probably actually going to become a problem for Title IX.  Slippery Slope

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

The whole what is a woman thing is probably actually going to become a problem for Title IX.  Slippery Slope

It really is…I was joking/poking fun somewhat, but you’re right, it really will be

• Like 1

I figured it would take most companies about 18-24 months to realize they've put $$ on a kid who actually brought very little to their revenue stream.  That's 2 full financial cycles on the books where budget comparisons tell the tale.  

Take TJ Finley, Tank Bigby and Robby Ashford for example, they got NIL deals and what exactly did they do that justified the expenditure?  And yet we hear parents continuously pressing programs for more NIL and coaches having to "re-recruit" their own players every year.  Numerous bidding wars where kids use NIL as leverage for choosing where they will play.   We've seen aTm's expensive 2022 recruiting class fall to pieces, what are the investors in those NIL deals that brought in Jimbo's class thinking today? 

From a strictly business perspective, it's the equivalent of throwing $$ out the window.  There's just too much financial risk with zero guaranteed reward for the big time NIL donors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AUINSY said:

What is a woman? 👀🤯🤷‍♂️

NIL is about individual value. Would be surprised to see them go in that direction. Maybe NIL connected to the institutions (universities) could be drawn into the required controls with title lX.

NIL can include contingencies like "we'll pay you more $ now if you agree to give us ___% of your NFL jersey sales, because we helped make you NFL attractive". NIL ain't goin nowhere, it will just become more creative.

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I figured it would take most companies about 18-24 months to realize they've put $$ on a kid who actually brought very little to their revenue stream.  That's 2 full financial cycles on the books where budget comparisons tell the tale.  

Take TJ Finley, Tank Bigby and Robby Ashford for example, they got NIL deals and what exactly did they do that justified the expenditure?  And yet we hear parents continuously pressing programs for more NIL and coaches having to "re-recruit" their own players every year.  Numerous bidding wars where kids use NIL as leverage for choosing where they will play.   We've seen aTm's expensive 2022 recruiting class fall to pieces, what are the investors in those NIL deals that brought in Jimbo's class thinking today? 

From a strictly business perspective, it's the equivalent of throwing $$ out the window.  There's just too much financial risk with zero guaranteed reward for the big time NIL donors. 

My understanding of the Texas A&M thing is players were told they'd get X amount of $$$ and Texas A&M's NIL didn't deliver. 

Also going back to what I said about the Byron's patch I can't tell you who TJ, Tank, or Robby even have NIL's with?  Maybe its more prevelant in the Auburn area but the only NIL deal I can recall off the top of my head is Milos with Bo.  I think it was Milos.  Might have been Bojangles.

Edited by Win4AU

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

NIL is about individual value. Would be surprised to see them go in that direction. Maybe NIL connected to the institutions (universities) could be drawn into the required controls with title lX.

Thats kind of what I was saying above.  If businesses stop investing as heavily into these players then you'll see it becoming more of the cooperatives of fans giving $25/year/month whatever.  The under the table money will become a bigger issue with schools trying to pay these players more without it being in the official "NIL" numbers. 

• Like 1

100% true.  A 5* Defensive Tackle with with 1,500 social followers has almost no value.  None.  Which, is why Collectives have to fundraise primarily from donors vs. being able to fund from corporate sponsors.  The only way to fund this is to give athletes part of the ticket sales/tv revenue etc.  Which athletic departments are currently using to pay huge coaching contracts, invest in facilities, clothing, recruiting, travel, etc.  There's a reckoning coming.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Agreed. But isn't NIL just a big excuse to pay players to come to your schools? They may not have value for selling anything but they are there to win football games. The big dogs are always big to eat

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Agreed. But isn't NIL just a big excuse to pay players to come to your schools? They may not have value for selling anything but they are there to win football games. The big dogs are always big to eat

I bet the number of players seeking compensation, and the amount they are seeking, has exploded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

You do know what NIL stands for "Now Its Legal" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/4/2023 at 9:17 AM, JerryAU said:

But, but, but, the players deserve this money! Otherwise they get nothing for choosing to play this game ! (sarcasm)

22 hours ago, Win4AU said:

My understanding of the Texas A&M thing is players were told they'd get X amount of $$$ and Texas A&M's NIL didn't deliver. 

Also going back to what I said about the Byron's patch I can't tell you who TJ, Tank, or Robby even have NIL's with?  Maybe its more prevelant in the Auburn area but the only NIL deal I can recall off the top of my head is Milos with Bo.  I think it was Milos.  Might have been Bojangles.

Tank literally leveraged AU NIL to play ball for Auburn last year.  I couldn't tell you who he had NIL contracts with, but NIL $$ is the reason he didn't transfer and AU ponied up enough to retain him for the '22 season.   Insiders on this board have mentioned multiple times that Ashford's mother is constantly pressing the staff for more NIL. I couldn't tell you who Robby has an NIL contract with or how much $$ he's getting.

I'm in the Auburn area weekly, there are no major businesses using our player's likeness for visual advertisements.  I tune into AU radio stations daily and I haven't noticed a single AU player on air space advertising. 

We know OTV has $$ and we know athletes are getting $$, the exact amounts and who gets what is very vague.  And maybe those details need to be kept private for a good reason? I was the #1 antagonist when Gus & Co. continued to pull the nation's top 5 salaries and failed miserably to finish seasons inside the top 10-15 most years and lost dang near every bowl game they played.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jluvah said:

But, but, but, the players deserve this money! Otherwise they get nothing for choosing to play this game ! (sarcasm)

Yea, no way the players deserve this much money (TiC), but the guy who is not playing (Freeze) definitely DESERVES his 6.5 million per year. I suspect most that are offended by players possibly getting these impossible sounding numbers (agree they are) are really just worried about AU not being able to sustain the payments. I distinctly remember during the coaching search the same saying when talking about perspective high value coaches: back up the Brinks truck. Oh well, just opinions anyway!!

Walker Kessler had a deal with Dunkeroos. I hadn't seen those in decades. Now I see them everywhere. I even bought a pack. So they at least got $3 back from their investment. 

• Haha 3

NIL question different from the discussion above.

I saw in the baseball thread that baseball is in severe need of $$$ to compete with everyone else.  My question is the OTV NIL specifically for football?  How do they determine where the money goes?  Couldn't they balance out what goes to football, baseball, basketball etc?  Maybe this is one of the issues we have with the NIL is most folks don't know how this thing works.  How does the TUF money affect the NIL if any?  The low end TUF donation used to be $400.  If you do some simple math and say 10,000 people make that $400 donation you've got $4M right there. 

5 hours ago, Win4AU said:

NIL question different from the discussion above.

I saw in the baseball thread that baseball is in severe need of $$$ to compete with everyone else.  My question is the OTV NIL specifically for football?  How do they determine where the money goes?  Couldn't they balance out what goes to football, baseball, basketball etc?  Maybe this is one of the issues we have with the NIL is most folks don't know how this thing works.  How does the TUF money affect the NIL if any?  The low end TUF donation used to be $400.  If you do some simple math and say 10,000 people make that $400 donation you've got $4M right there. 

I think you have hit on something.   People don't understand it.   If you go to the ON To Victory website you can donate and earmark where your dollars go i.e. 100% to baseball (please 6lb 3 ounce sweet little baby Jesus).   Or 50% football and 50% baseball.   If you do not earmark your dollars, there is a formula that is used to determine who gets what.   I do not know what the formula is.   You are 100% correct.   Baseball is in bad need of donations.   Prior to last night just 12 people had made an earmarked donation to baseball.   I became #13.   We really need baseball $$$ and no amount is too small.    While every girl on scholarship for Volleyball has a full ride, because of NCAA regulations baseball gets just 11 schollys to divide among the entire roster.    Baseball NIL $$ are being used for tuition, food and housing.   These kids aren't buying Charges.   Please give even if it is $25.  p.s. our boys have won their last 3 series including series against #1 and #2.   Doesn't that deserve $25, $50, $100?   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I think you have hit on something.   People don't understand it.   If you go to the ON To Victory website you can donate and earmark where your dollars go i.e. 100% to baseball (please 6lb 3 ounce sweet little baby Jesus).   Or 50% football and 50% baseball.   If you do not earmark your dollars, there is a formula that is used to determine who gets what.   I do not know what the formula is.   You are 100% correct.   Baseball is in bad need of donations.   Prior to last night just 12 people had made an earmarked donation to baseball.   I became #13.   We really need baseball $$$ and no amount is too small.    While every girl on scholarship for Volleyball has a full ride, because of NCAA regulations baseball gets just 11 schollys to divide among the entire roster.    Baseball NIL $$ are being used for tuition, food and housing.   These kids aren't buying Charges.   Please give even if it is $25.  p.s. our boys have won their last 3 series including series against #1 and #2.   Doesn't that deserve $25, $50, $100?   

Apparently not. People on the main board think room, three meals and a scholarship is more than enough.  So no they do not deserve anything (Yellow font).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Apparently not. People on the main board think room, three meals and a scholarship is more than enough.  So no they do not deserve anything (Yellow font).

DAG I  get exactly what you are saying but in baseball the NCAA only allows 11 scholarships.    They must be split among 35 players.   They don't get tuition room and board and 3 meals.  Each baseball player, on scholarship  on average gets 1/3rd tuition, 1/3 books, 1/3 meals.   They must come out of pocket for the remaining 2/3rds.   Prior to NIL, baseball players had to pay their way to come to AU.

• Like 1

Just now, LPTiger said:

DAG I  get exactly what you are saying but in baseball the NCAA only allows 11 scholarships.    They must be split among 35 players.   They don't get tuition room and board and 3 meals.  Each baseball player, on scholarship  on average gets 1/3rd tuition, 1/3 books, 1/3 meals.   They must come out of pocket for the remaining 2/3rds.   Prior to NIL, baseball players had to pay their way to come to AU.

Exactly why I am a proponent of the NIL. I will do my part in giving to the baseball team.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly why I am a proponent of the NIL. I will do my part in giving to the baseball team.

Bless you brother!!!!!   I cant thank you enough!!!   If you could have heard Joseph Gonzales last night say that when he was healthy last year he used his NIL money to fly his parents from Puerto Rico to here to see him play it might have brought a tear to your eye.   He basically said they are really poor and it is the only way they get to see him play.

• Love 3

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Bless you brother!!!!!   I cant thank you enough!!!   If you could have heard Joseph Gonzales last night say that when he was healthy last year he used his NIL money to fly his parents from Puerto Rico to here to see him play it might have brought a tear to your eye.   He basically said they are really poor and it is the only way they get to see him play.

You really should share this story to the ignorant people on the main thread.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

You really should share this story to the ignorant people on the main thread.

Thanks brother I will.