Stay Away from the U.S.

AURex

Countries that we consider our allies -- economically and socially and politically aligned with the U.S. -- have issued warnings in their countries for their citizens not to vacation or travel in the U.S. The countries? Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, France, and Canada. Of course there are other countries warning against travel in the U.S. as well.

Can you guess why?

Welp, if you've watch the news over the past couple of years, it will be no mystery.

This article cites gun violence, but of course it is not just gun violence. Attacks against ethnic minorities everywhere are rampant, hate crimes, and political/social laws and violence against people who do not look like white Anglo-Saxon heritage or speak fluent English are constantly in the news.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/countries-gun-violence-problem-shooting-us-canada-france-australia-193643802.html

• Sad 1

If they aren't coming here, can we send several hundred thousand of Biden's illegals over to them? That would accustom them to gun violence and help us out at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

Back in the 90s I was stationed in Germany and the newscasts were full of stories bashing the USA for shooting mugging robbing german tourists in Miami area. There were fender benders then violence seemingly aimed at German or European tourists.  After being in country for a while it became more clear what the situation was.

Germans on the autobahn WILL NOT pass a car on the right..period. German tourists in rental cars were driving really fast in the fast lane, and upon approaching a slower car, would flash their bright lights, blow the horn, and if the perp did not move over, display the finger to the slower driver. With apologies, you can't do that driving thru Miami on I-95 and not anticipate some type of response.  Could be some cultural factors as causation, not just our racist homophobic bigoted country.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Back in the 90s I was stationed in Germany and the newscasts were full of stories bashing the USA for shooting mugging robbing german tourists in Miami area. There were fender benders then violence seemingly aimed at German or European tourists.  After being in country for a while it became more clear what the situation was.

Germans on the autobahn WILL NOT pass a car on the right..period. German tourists in rental cars were driving really fast in the fast lane, and upon approaching a slower car, would flash their bright lights, blow the horn, and if the perp did not move over, display the finger to the slower driver. With apologies, you can't do that driving thru Miami on I-95 and not anticipate some type of response.  Could be some cultural factors as causation, not just our racist homophobic bigoted country.

Good for them!  And I agree.

I try to avoid passing on the right as well, and often flash my lights to a right lane "slow cruiser" to move over so I won't have to.  It's typically ignored. 

In fact, in South Carolina the law says  "move right unless to pass".  It's universally ignored.

In France, drivers turn on their left turn signals when passing slower traffic on four lane roads and leave them on until they pull back.

I loved driving in Europe.  They take their driving skills seriously.

Edited by homersapien

This is just for discussion, of course. The U.S. issues warnings for U.S. citizens to avoid travel to some countries. Not just the obvious countries like Russia, North Korea, China and Afghanistan, but other countries that are not friendly -- Syria, Belarus, etc.

So it is not unusual for the U.S. to suggest that U.S. citizens consider avoiding some countries where they could be at greater risk.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:55 PM, Mikey said:

If they aren't coming here, can we send several hundred thousand of Biden's illegals over to them? That would accustom them to gun violence and help us out at the same time.

No it wouldn't because those countries don't have idiotic gun laws like the US has. Those illegals wouldn't be shooting anyone cause they wouldn't have access to guns.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

No it wouldn't because those countries don't have idiotic gun laws like the US has. Those illegals wouldn't be shooting anyone cause they wouldn't have access to guns.

If gun laws worked there wouldn't have been 14 shootings and three shooting deaths reported in Chicago last weekend.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 10:55 PM, Mikey said:

Whoops...

chart-1.png

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If gun laws worked there wouldn't have been 14 shootings and three shooting deaths reported in Chicago last weekend.

They work when the entire country is on the same page. 

That's why Gun laws stop shootings in every other developed nation on earth. Other nations are are proof that strict gun laws work. The U.S. has the most relaxed gun laws and also has the most gun deaths and gun violence by a wide margin. That is not pure coincidence. 

Chicago's gun laws don't mean squat when every  state that borders it (particular Conservative Indiana) has lax laws and has streams of legal and illegal weapons within easy reach of anyone who is able to travel a few mins outside of Chicago/Illinois. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

They work when the entire country is on the same page. 

That's why Gun laws stop shootings in every other developed nation on earth. Other nations are are proof that strict gun laws work. The U.S. has the most relaxed gun laws and also has the most gun deaths and gun violence by a wide margin. That is not pure coincidence. 

Chicago's gun laws don't mean squat when every  state that borders it (particular Conservative Indiana) has lax laws and has streams of legal and illegal weapons within easy reach of anyone who is able to travel a few mins outside of Chicago/Illinois. 

So Chicago's restrictive laws don't work. Got it.

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Whoops...

chart-1.png

Talk about grasping at straws! You're posting numbers that happened because of Trump's policies. Get current. Turn on any TV station and look at the streams of illegals crashing the border. Look at the holding facilities in border towns crammed to 10X capacity. Look at the desperation New York is going through trying to house Bungling Biden's throngs. This is Biden's disaster, self-inflicted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So Chicago's restrictive laws don't work. Got it.

Americas gun laws don't work. That includes the Supreme Courts interpretation of the 2nd amendment,. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Talk about grasping at straws! You're posting numbers that happened because of Trump's policies. Get current. Turn on any TV station and look at the streams of illegals crashing the border. Look at the holding facilities in border towns crammed to 10X capacity. Look at the desperation New York is going through trying to house Bungling Biden's throngs. This is Biden's disaster, self-inflicted.

So you're just going to pretend this wasn't a thing in 2019, right?

02immi-1sub-superJumbo.webp

• Facepalm 1

Interesting information about gun deaths and violence:

Nearly nine out of 10 people killed by gun violence in 2019 were men. The highest number of homicide deaths occurred among people 20-24 years old, while the highest number of gun-enabled suicides happened among those aged 55-59. Brazil recorded the world's highest number of total gun deaths from all causes combined, with 49,436 out of 250,227 worldwide. The United States has the second-highest number of gun deaths with 37,038.

That said, if one isolates the violent gun deaths and adjusts for population size by expressing the rate as the number of homicides per 100k people, the list changes significantly.

Countries with the Highest Rates of Violent Gun Death (Homicides) per 100k residents in 2019

El Salvador — 36.78

Venezuela — 33.27

Guatemala — 29.06

Colombia — 26.36

Brazil — 21.93

Bahamas — 21.52

Honduras — 20.15

U.S. Virgin Islands — 19.40

Puerto Rico — 18.14

Mexico — 16.41

Gun violence in Latin America is exceptionally high, due in no small part to the prevalence of criminal gangs and a vibrant drug trafficking industry. The Inter-American Development Bank released a report highlighting several critical factors in Latin American cities that contribute to increased gun violence, including economic deprivation, residential instability, family disruption, absence from school, the population’s age structure, and alcohol consumption.

Gangs are much less of an issue in the United States, yet it is second only to Brazil on the list in total gun deaths. Many people understandably assume the high number of gun deaths in the U.S. is due to mass shootings, which receive frequent attention from the media. In truth, mass shootings account for only a small percentage of gun deaths in the United States. Rather, nearly two-thirds (63%) of gun deaths in the US in 2019 were suicides.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country

Also it is interesting to note that most of the illegal immigration are from countries with the most gun violence.  This was highlighted recently when an illegal aliens killed 5 neighbors in Texas.  Is it the goal of the Biden administration to lessen gun violence by increasing the number of potential criminals in the US illegally?

To the OP, maybe the US should push back on gun violence thing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So you're just going to pretend this wasn't a thing in 2019, right?

Show me some numbers from '22 and '23.

12 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Americas gun laws don't work. That includes the Supreme Courts interpretation of the 2nd amendment,. 

America doesn't have a gun problem. We have a culture problem. Those European nations you mention are basically mono cultural. Their people look alike. They had the same education. They had similar up-bringing in similar households. Dump a hundred thousand illegals in the midst of them and watch the gun deaths zoom.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

On 5/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, homersapien said:

Good for them!  And I agree.

I try to avoid passing on the right as well, and often flash my lights to a right lane "slow cruiser" to move over so I won't have to.  It's typically ignored. 

In fact, in South Carolina the law says  "move right unless to pass".  It's universally ignored.

In France, drivers turn on their left turn signals when passing slower traffic on four lane roads and leave them on until they pull back.

I loved driving in Europe.  They take their driving skills seriously.

You aint gonna tale me witch side of the road to drive on you commie libral.  I got my rights.  Freedumb!

You just go drive in your commie homeland of Europe if are roads aint good enough for you.  How come you hate Amurica?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

America doesn't have a gun problem. We have a culture problem. Those European nations you mention are basically mono cultural. Their people look alike. They had the same education. They had similar up-bringing in similar households. Dump a hundred thousand illegals in the midst of them and watch the gun deaths zoom.

That right there is right.  Them poor people, the imigrants theys the ones who is messin up ever thing.  We need to get rid of all of em. 

On 5/19/2023 at 11:24 PM, Mikey said:

I just got back from Europe. They are full of immigrants from all over the world: Asia, Middle East, Africa, etc….Hard for gun deaths to soar when guns are so scarcely available vs here when they’re on every corner. The sternest warnings you get over there about crime is to watch out for pickpockets. I roamed the streets at all hours freely: not something I’m comfortable doing in most US cities. FWIW I own several guns. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I just got back from Europe. They are full of immigrants from all over the world: Asia, Middle East, Africa, etc….Hard for gun deaths to soar when guns are so scarcely available vs here when they’re on every corner. The sternest warnings you get over there about crime is to watch out for pickpockets. I roamed the streets at all hours freely: not something I’m comfortable doing in most US cities. FWIW I own several guns. 

I've heard it said that Stockholm is now called the rape capitol of the world, due to the Muslim immigrants culture clash with the Swede's carefree way of life. Is that not true?

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I've heard it said that Stockholm is now called the rape capitol of the world, due to the Muslim immigrants culture clash with the Swede's carefree way of life. Is that not true?

I have no idea @Mikey I don’t follow immigrant rape trends. But I bet this: If it is true, the Sweden government will take drastic action to reverse that trend. They wont let it fester and worsen with ambivalence over 40 years like our government has with mass shootings. I know this. Our society is excessively violent relative to what it should be in the 21st century, and more guns and easier access to guns isn’t keeping us safer. We need a comprehensive review of what we can do to lessen those trends. Not being able to drop your kid off at school or going to shop for shoes or to watch a movie without fear of being shot to death isn’t freedom. 

I’ll share this insight with you on my way out and let you have the last word. I live in Tennessee where the government is hard right and gun rights are very lax. Our state representatives often proclaim that guns are not the problem, the people are. Guns are just the tool they say. I don’t disagree. but I find it odd that when I go visit with my local state rep (once a year for me), I’m not allowed to take my gun with me. I have to go through armed security and x ray machines. Why? They proclaim to be strong supporters and protectors of the 2d Amendment. My gun is not a threat to them. It’s just a tool. I’m not a problem, I’m a law abiding citizen and decorated war veteran. So why can’t I take my gun into their workplace? They want guns everywhere else. Why not there? What do they fear? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

We can keep having these silly debates and discussions, do nothing, and just learn to live in constant fear of mass shootings and excessive violence. Or we can actually work together to make it better.

We deserve a better culture than this. Hopefully we can agree on that.

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our society is excessively violent relative to what it should be in the 21st century, and more guns and easier access to guns isn’t keeping us safer.

Making unarmed honest citizens helpless when confronted by armed criminals isn't going to make us safer either.

I'm waiting for some reasonable method that is going to make criminals get rid of their guns. After that succeeds I'll quit carrying.

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 5/19/2023 at 10:24 PM, Mikey said:

a majority of gun deaths are committed by US citizens, not illegal immigrants. Most mass shootings and in particular school shootings are committed by white Americans. 

You're just spouting complete nonsense. 

Europe would have similar gun deaths and shooting problems if they had the same gun laws America has. 

• Like 3

Appleton is a really safe area. To my knowledge there has only been one mass shooting here. Regardless, every time I take my family to the movies (admittedly not often with ticket prices and the size of my family), I find myself looking toward the emergency exit numerous times, even after I've checked to make sure the door isn't propped open. We live close to our elementary school, and every time my wife hears a siren go by during the day she gets nervous, wondering if that's where they're heading. It's much worse this time of year because my wife is concerned about someone wanting to make more of an impact since it's the last couple of weeks of school.

I understand that some of this is the "airplane" effect - the fact that it's actually much safer to fly, but people are more afraid because of what happens if something does go wrong - but I still wonder how people can look at what our society has become and not think that something needs to drastically change, and dismiss outright things that other countries are doing that prevent their citizens from having to worry about it.

• Thanks 1

A Democrat is in the White House and had control of both houses for two years. A Democrat was in the White House with a super majority for four years during the Obama Administration. A so-called Republican was in the White House for 4 years in between and the 8 years prior to Obama. 

It's not a gun problem.......but come get em. Watch this country burn. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1