NCAA Recommends dropping Pot from Banned Drug List

AURex

Since many states now allow legal recreational use of weed, NCAA is proposing that it no longer be included on tests for prohibited drugs by athletes. University bigwigs will still have to approve, so who knows where this will go.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ncaa-marjuana-drug-testing-recommendation_n_648cf33be4b04ee51a9b9133

i have been hitting the weed since i was about fourteen or maybe fifteen. i love it.it helps a lot of people but

i can tell you for a fact if a player did half a gummy or more it will mess up their playing severely.it would benefit the other team to be honest. i am sure they know what they are doing but it can happen.

• Haha 4

Each coach will have the final say. "Show up high, don't play" will probably be a common thing.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Each coach will have the final say. "Show up high, don't play" will probably be a common thing.

Wow this is a break through statement.  Since alcohol is legal and not a banned substance, we have an extremely difficult time controlling players wasted at practice 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

It will probably be adopted as one of many "team rules" that may cost a game suspension, etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Wow this is a break through statement.  Since alcohol is legal and not a banned substance, we have an extremely difficult time controlling players wasted at practice 

I hope you’re not equating being drunk to being high…

13 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I think the point was, alcohol is accessible and legal, and players don't tend to show up to practices/games drunk. 

And since you asked, data suggests alcohol causes much more harm than pot. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/which-is-worse-booze-or-pot-a-doctor-weighs-in/

Edited by WarrrEagleHey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If players are stoned, they will not perform to their optimum capability. So being high will affect performance and consequently  playing time -- just as would be the case if they are drunk.

Recreational use? Pot is not a "performance enhancing drug" any more than alcohol or LSD or other psychedelics. Actually, it is a performance inhibitory drug" on the field or in excess off the field.

SEC would likely have its own restrictions to conform with red state prohibitions. So, as for SEC teams, no matter what NCAA rules say, arrested for possession, you are in the dog house.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The challenge would continue to be a federal law issue within each university governing bylaws. AU student housing community standards currently prohibit all use and distribution of illegal substances. Would a ncaa decree somehow trump the federal governments stand for the use of illegal substances?? 

you can love pot or hate it. but i know so many people using it for pain. two of my friends were addicted to pain pills and it saved both of them.

13 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I wasn't as the next post after you explained it....but both intoxic you on a level that effects performance. I can smoke myself into a state where I canf function just as I can drink myself into one.  I can also get a slight buzz on both

• Like 3

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I wasn't as the next post after you explained it....but both intoxic you on a level that effects performance. I can smoke myself into a state where I canf function just as I can drink myself into one.  I can also get a slight buzz on both

edibles have changed the whole ballgame. i can take a half a gummy of legal pot and i will not get behind the wheel of a vehicle. period. they are super stout. in fact if you over indulge they have caused some folks to have a panic attack. you have to use moderation on the strong  stuff. it will kick your behind.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

I think the point was, alcohol is accessible and legal, and players don't tend to show up to practices/games drunk. 

And since you asked, data suggests alcohol causes much more harm than pot. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/which-is-worse-booze-or-pot-a-doctor-weighs-in/

Harm is harm. Trying to measure the differences is a moot argument. Not many people show up drunk where they are not supposed to bc you can’t hide it, so not a very good argument. Both can be addictive so are very harmfull generally.

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I get it, but they are different kinds of impairment. I never fooled with pot, but I had friends who did and showed up high at practice. They went undetected. A drunk player couldn’t have pulled that off.

• Like 1

Agree with it or not it’s still a schedule 1 drug federally.

Back in the day I thought that was stupid, but the array and strength the of products out there now is totally different. If you’re using the stronger products, well, I wouldn’t feel sorry for you if you got sat a game.

Delta 9 is very legal to be distributed in the state of Wisconsin under certain regulations.  However, I highly doubt these "bigwigs" will do the research nor approve of such rulings. 

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

edibles have changed the whole ballgame. i can take a half a gummy of legal pot and i will not get behind the wheel of a vehicle. period. they are super stout. in fact if you over indulge they have caused some folks to have a panic attack. you have to use moderation on the strong  stuff. it will kick your behind.

dang!   how stout are your gummies?    Most are capped at 10mg per gummy.   That's like 2 hits off a joint.   Do you whip your own? 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

14 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

dang!   how stout are your gummies?    Most are capped at 10mg per gummy.   That's like 2 hits off a joint.   Do you whip your own? 

Gummies have gotten so strong that a random guy visiting our tailgate took half of one last year, disappeared for an hour, and I heard him in the air conditioned porta-potty holding on to the walls and swearing up and down that the whole trailer was moving.

Not gonna lie, it was pretty funny walking in on that

It wouldn't change much if that was to happen. First of all you wouldn't be dealing with a bunch of people showing up high for practice....it would pretty much be what it is now, what you are able to do with your life away from the field. 

No different than you don't have an issue with all the players showing up trying to play drunk. 

• Like 1

It is known that even simple mary jane slows your reflexes a little. So seems to me that would not be a good thing in football and could lead to more injuries. That would concern me more than the legal issues.

16 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

no sir i have a legit place in anniston that has a mixture of delta 8,  and 9. i tried the delta years ago and wasted close to a hundred bucks. a friend turned me onto these and i laughed. he left me five and said be careful and do not plan on leaving for a while. i took a half a gummy and it kicked my behind in a good way. these are 15.mg. what is weird is if i take more it messes up my buzz. i have yet to figure that one out. backwoodz cbd and hemp. all legal. and it is cheap..if ya got a question message me. this stuff gripes some people.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

It is known that even simple mary jane slows your reflexes a little. So seems to me that would not be a good thing in football and could lead to more injuries. That would concern me more than the legal issues.

you are very right. but this is what and why they are doing it i think. you can smoke pot today  but tomorrow you would still test positive and not be high. i was told in drug school with my weight it would take six months to clear my body. those feds sent us to school for a ton of stuff.  and it is legal now in many states. how they can determine when you are high and when you are not is what baffles me. maybe a blood test is more accurate. but i would hate to lose a star player who had not been high in while to not be able to play.

58 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

People aren't going to be smoking weed during the game

The proposal is simply to discontinue testing for marijuana. If you are in a state where it's legal, you smoke some pot over the weekend, and you're ready for practice the next day, why should you be tested and punished?

It doesn't mean players can smoke pot before the game or break the law. I'm sure if a player is arrested for marijuana possession or shows up noticeably high to a game, he will be punished. 

And if a player takes half a gummy, shows up to practice and it is completely undetectable ... then who cares. I'm sure it's happened before. 

• Like 4