Favorite Auburn player not named…

Viper

Tommie Agee was a favorite of mine when I was young. I always loved to hear Coach Dye say Tommie's name in that southern drawl. Coach Dye always said that Agee was one of his favorite players that he ever coached.

Lectron Williams simply because he was a beast at Vigor and I loved his name when I was young.

Stan White because he was a damn good QB, team leader, great announcer and a good guy.

Zac Etheridge simply because his career should've ended that day against Ole Miss but he wouldn't allow it. Great man, great leader and great coach.

Josh Bynes and Craig Stevens because you've got to be a different kind of person to play every snap on defense for an entire season. They both did in 2009. 

Emory Blake because I always felt he was as solid of a WR as we had. He wasn't blazing fast but the guy always seemed to make the catch whenever his number was called. Never talked on the field, just went out and did his thing. Great guy with great parents.

Shon Coleman because he got dealt a bad hand when he was diagnosed with leukemia. Not only did he beat it, he came back to play and got to the NFL. I'm also a cancer survivor and I always love to hear a positive story like Shon's. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Emory Blake because I always felt he was as solid of a WR as we had. He wasn't blazing fast but the guy always seemed to make the catch whenever his number was called.

No better example of this than Thomas Bailey. Frank Sanders had the headlines (rightfully so), but he would occasionally drop passes.

Bailey caught everything. Two of the passes he caught in the 94 Florida game, one on the 1st drive and one on the last drive, are two of the most difficult (1st catch) and high pressure (last catch) catches you will ever see on any level of football. Without both of those catches, we don’t upset #1 in The Swamp.

After the 94 season, I got to meet and get autographs from Bailey and Mike Pelton. Two great guys. I joked with them, asking if they were going 1st Round in the draft. They both pointed at each other. We all had a good laugh.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, alabastertiger said:

I don't remember what game it was, but Terry said he had concussion so bad that he didn't know what stadium he was in or who they were playing.   He said that Shug walked over to him and said "we need you son", and he said he put his helmet on went back into the game.

I am pretty confident in saying that was the 1970 Iron Bowl where they were down 17-0 and came back to beat Bama

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Has anyone mentioned Quentin Riggins?  I believe there was a stat mentioned on him once that he made a tackle every 3 1/2 plays 

Riggins was a beast. He played a big role in us winning those 3 straight SEC Titles from 1987 - 1989. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Riggins was a beast. He played a big role in us winning those 3 straight SEC Titles from 1987 - 1989. 

No doubt.  He was a major part of the heartbeat of the team 

freddy weygand. he went to my old high school after i was in the military and did well. great receiver as well.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the greatest CB to ever play for AU. Carlos Rogers

He had an obscenely low % of passes that were completed to his side in 2004. Taking away an entire side of the field while also being a great tackler was such a luxury. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the greatest CB to ever play for AU. Carlos Rogers

He had an obscenely low % of passes that were completed to his side in 2004. Taking away an entire side of the field while also being a great tackler was such a luxury. 

IMG_3569.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:27 PM, Tiger said:

i remember him being interviewed and he said playing CB is like being on an island. i wish i could remember the rest of it.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:27 PM, Tiger said:

Very true. Altho when you have Freshman CB Montavis Pitts on the opposite side of the field, it’s not rocket science who the offense is going to challenge. 

Also AU was fortunate in that the only veteran passing QB they played all season was Georgia’s David Greene (Arkansas’ Matt Jones was more a running threat). Doesn’t diminish Carlos’ talent. Just an easier stack of cards he was dealt.

Thomas gossum. He made big plays, ran routes well and had good hands.  He is really overlooked because his 3 years on the plains we ran the ball 85% to 90% of the time.

Mike Currier  he is not the most talented guy but he gave Auburn all he had in every game he played.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Thomas gossum. He made big plays, ran routes well and had good hands.  He is really overlooked because his 3 years on the plains we ran the ball 85% to 90% of the time.

Mike Currier  he is not the most talented guy but he gave Auburn all he had in every game he played.

A lot of people forget Thom was a walk on

Quan Bray- War Eagle Baby! War Eagle!

Super Mario Fannin- Underrated back. Very fast and with some shake and bake. 

• Like 1