2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

With all due respect, and I am a lifetime Auburn crazoid, we ain't seen nuthin'.

"OL- Best Unit since 2017" We ain't seen nuthin in SEC play.

"RB’s - At least 2 are ready for big seasons " We ain't seen nuthin' in SEC play.

Fact is, top to bottom, end to end, we've got half a team of portals, most of whom have never played against Power 5 opponents, and almost none have played against SEC competition.

Every year, even in the gawd-awful Harsin era, the players and coaches were going  like world-beaters.

I think CHF and his staff have done great recruiting the best players they could pull in from the portal. But they haven't hit the field yet against SEC opponents.

I'm optimistic, but not yet slobbering convinced. hahahaha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The receiver room looks like it might be a strength. So far out of fall camp, we know this..

QB’s - Improved

RB’s - At least 2 are ready for big seasons

WR - Deep rotation of guys that are doing really well. 

OL- Best Unit since 2017

TE - Rivaldo > JSS , rest of the room are super seniors

DL - Looks to be improved over last year

LB - Way more depth.

Edge - At least a wash, but I think it may be improved as far as consistent pass rush goes

Secondary - STACKED!

special Teams - Stacked!!

Can someone explain to me how this isn’t an 8-9 win team that can play with anyone in the SEC West? Am I missing something? The only downside I see is the team chemistry may be off for a bit.

The issue is that we’re comparing ourselves against last years team. Which was a deeply depleted, sub par sec roster. So yes we are better and deeper than last year…. I’m just not sure what that really means in the sec.  Add to that the disruption with this much turnover and i have absolutely no idea what to expect.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Can someone explain to me how this isn’t an 8-9 win team that can play with anyone in the SEC West?

At best we are now as talented as Arkansas and the Miss Schools. We aren't nearly as talent as A&M and LSU and world's behind Bama & UGA.

Top to bottom the SECW is deeper than its been and we don't have 2-3 pure bottom feeder teams, as Ark and the MS schools are better than normal. 

Are we better than last years team? Yeah.  But we aren't playing last years team.

We've got a 4 game scheduled.@Aggies, @Ark, Miss Schools. These are all winnable (maybe favored in 1 game). So we'd need 3 upsets and go 4-0 here to get to 9 wins.

Rest of our schedule are auto losses (LSU. BAMA, UGA) and the rest auto wins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

At best we are now as talented as Arkansas and the Miss Schools. We aren't nearly as talent as A&M and LSU and world's behind Bama & UGA.

Top to bottom the SECW is deeper than its been and we don't have 2-3 pure bottom feeder teams, as Ark and the MS schools are better than normal. 

Are we better than last years team? Yeah.  But we aren't playing last years team.

We've got a 4 game scheduled.@Aggies, @Ark, Miss Schools. These are all winnable (maybe favored in 1 game). So we'd need 3 upsets and go 4-0 here to get to 9 wins.

I don’t completely disagree. But I think the only team that’s untouchable here is UGA (and I want to barf while I say that).
LSU was on an upward trend last year, but who knows how much they improved this off-season. Also, we almost beat them last year with Harsin still as our coach. Because they looked better at the end of last year, I think they’re getting a little overhyped going into this season. That roster was also severely depleted when Kelly took over. 

Bama lost a lot of weapons, and has started kind of trending downward the last few years. Last year, Bryce Young was most of their offense. Are they really going to be that great with a green coordinator and without young?

Not saying we win either of these games. But, if things come together with this team, those games are winnable, especially Bama at the end of the year at home. We won 2 of the last 3 against them at home, and almost won the third in 2021. Heck, with all the home iron bowls we’ve played in this century, only 2 (2001 and 2011) were blowout losses. All of the rest of them have been close or we outright won.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2

What Auburn's coordinators are looking for in first preseason scrimmage

"We’ve got a ways to go, but we’ve got the time to do it.”

Nathan King 15 mins

The early stages of preseason camp are always swirling with excitement. Everyone looks like a good player in shorts, and reps are spread evenly across the roster.

Then things start to button up after the first scrimmage.

Regardless of how coaches choose to channel their focus in the first full, game-like practice session, the preseason’s inaugural scrimmage always carries a bit more weight than any of the previous practices, and signals an important shift from then forward in camp. Coaches will review the film and start trimming down reps more significantly, needing to tighten lineups to ensure the year’s most likely contributors are getting plenty of preparation for the season opener.

Of course, the stakes are also raised in a scrimmage setting when there’s a legitimate quarterback competition, which Auburn has for the second straight preseason.

“I just want to see somebody take control and take a step forward,” offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery said of the quarterbacks in Saturday’ scrimmage. “Separate themselves. That's what you're looking for in your quarterback position, a guy that's gonna lead, guy that's gonna make plays. He doesn't have to be Superman, but he does have to be consistent in his play in his decision-making and taking care of the football. And then moving us down the field and staying ahead of chains. When we do that, then we're always going to be effective. And so the quarterback that does those things at a more consistent pace will be the guy that's going to win the job.”

The Tigers will make the short walk from their new, $92 million practice facility over to Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday morning for their first scrimmage of the preseason. With classes set to begin at the university next Thursday, Hugh Freeze and his coaches know the week that follows the scrimmage will be key in establishing a more concise pecking order at various position groups.

For Montgomery’s unit, essentially every group — even quarterbacks — can be argued as being deeper than last season. The running back room now has four talented ball-carriers at the ready after the return of Jarquez Hunter. The receivers seemingly improved significantly via the transfer portal, and a handful of returning players are stepping up, too. The tight ends might be the most experienced group on the entire roster. And Auburn’s offensive line looks as if it can develop a strong two-deep for the first time in several seasons, with ongoing competitions not only at the two guard spots, but also for both backup tackle positions.

It’s those depth pieces that Montgomery will be equally as intrigued with in the first scrimmage, even though they may not enter the season labeled as “starters.”

“I think we've got a lot of depth that we've got to continue to keep building on, right?” Montgomery said this week. “And we're going to see those guys start separating themselves as camp goes on. But the battle parts of it, I think, has kept guys really in tune, really focused and really growing as a group and we've got to continue to do that as an offensive unit.”

Usually, the defense finds itself ahead of the offense early in 11-on-11 work, considering the quarterbacks and their supporting cast have to all be on the same page in the playbook for a call to work, whereas the defensive personnel can sometimes succeed based solely on effort or instincts to track down where the ball is heading.

But first-year Auburn defensive coordinator Ron Roberts isn’t as interested in yardage or the scoreboard Saturday as he is with the execution and discipline of individual positions and players.

“There’s two basic things,” Roberts said. “We’ve got to eliminate unforced errors, pre-snap errors. ‘Can I get lined up right? Do I know where my eyes are supposed to be? Do I know what my key is? Those basic things. And then the second one is the tempo of the game. Big emphasis (Monday) was playing fast and figuring out how fast you can play, playing at a different speed of the game. That takes time to develop. It really does. So I thought our kids did a good job of answering that. That will be an emphasis the next four days: Eliminate the pre-snap penalties. If you ain’t in the right spots, you can’t line up, hey, we’ve got problems. That can eliminate a lot of mistakes on defense, just because we can’t adjust to formations properly, or kids can’t be precise on their alignments.”

As many potential contributors as Roberts has lined up on his 2023 defense — with a host of newcomers both on the defensive line and in the secondary, and five or six contenders in the linebacker rotation — he admitted the unit as a whole still has a ways to go to generate the depth he feels it will need to survive the grind of an SEC schedule.

Roberts said in the spring he wants approximately 25 players he can count on like starters in any given game. He has until the Sept. 2 season opener to get there.

“Well, today as opposed to what I’m going to say in two weeks, three weeks — it should be drastically different,” Roberts said this week. “But right now I would say we’re probably at the 15, 16 mark. There’s seven, eight guys — they’ve got to figure out the tempo you’ve got to play the game with, the way you’re supposed to communicate, the consistency to do my job, and those types of things. We’ve got a ways to go, but we’ve got the time to do it.”

The pressure will be dialed up a bit Saturday, but even by the time the Tigers finish, they’ll still have 17 practices left before kicking off the 2023 season.

“We’ve still got a little bit of time, thank goodness,” Montgomery said. “And then we’ve got to figure it out from there.”

The Tigers will report to the stadium at approximately 9 a.m. CST on Saturday, and Freeze will summarize the day’s action with reporters following the scrimmage at 11:30 a.m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

LSU was on an upward trend last year, but who knows how much they improved this off-season. Also, we almost beat them last year with Harsin still as our coach. Because they looked better at the end of last year,

LSU away is probably too much to over come. Thier QB was also hurt vs making it look closer. I think thier upward trend is accurate and what we should hope for.

59 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Bama lost a lot of weapons, and has started kind of trending downward the last few years. Last year, Bryce Young was most of their offense. Are they really going to be that great with a green coordinator and without young?

I think Bama is probably the most likely win out of the 3 auto loses. I hear everything you're saying. They lost a ton at key positions, not sure they have a QB, and I think Saban make awful coordinator hires.

But they still have a massive talent advantage at almost every position. I can buy into them and the greatest CFB coach of all time falling off until it happens. 

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

if things come together with this team

Man I feel yah. I'm trying to not get over my skis. Coming together is gonna be tough with so many key pieces being added post spring...but if it happens I think our offense can be really dangerous. Thorne isn't a game changer, but if he was hurt last year and can get back to 2021 (or better) form and our OL/WR/TE additions hit. Watch out.

Gonna need it bc I'm a Lil scared out our DL.

As a weather-beaten Auburn oldy, my jury this season is out until December. Shocking improvements in short order are not unusual for us -'13 (that was insane!), '10, '04, '98-'00, '93, '81-'83, '74 and historically many more.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

14 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

The issue is that we’re comparing ourselves against last years team. Which was a deeply depleted, sub par sec roster. So yes we are better and deeper than last year…. I’m just not sure what that really means in the sec.  Add to that the disruption with this much turnover and i have absolutely no idea what to expect.

I'm not close follower of recruiting as I think the projections of individual high school players is really difficult in football. However, when you look at a roster as a whole, CHF has plenty of tools to work with. Auburn is one of 16 schools that meet the "blue chip ratio" of tallent.  Basically it means you have more 4 and 5 stars than you do 3 and 2 stars. Auburn barely makes that mark right now, but still it is only one of sixteen teams that does:

"The list this year consists of, in order, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Texas A&M, Clemson, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Notre, Dame, Florida, Miami, Penn State, Michigan, USC and Auburn."

As you can see we are ahead of much of the SEC, 4th in the West. I don't think this is a championship contending roster, but it isn't completely crazy to hold a view that this team could win 9 games.

https://247sports.com/article/blue-chip-ratio-2023-college-football-16-teams-who-can-actually-win-a-national-title-211217111/#:~:text=The SEC leads the way,has zero%2C and nobody close. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/1/2023 at 7:48 PM, LPTiger said:

So Fam, Chuck is thinking his first game may be Texas A&M.    Let's convince him he needs to come to game 1.   What you got?   I've offered a place tp stay and a ride to the stadium.   Conecuh sausage.   Ribs.   What you got to get Chuck and bride here game 1?

If we are being honest, just the sausage should be enough. Once he has it once, he will be like a fiend. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Why Ohio State transfer Caleb Burton is progressing quickly in Auburn's offense

"He's that type of worker, and he's very professional about the way he handles his business. I think, more than anything, his discipline in that sense is the thing that is progressing him up.”

Nathan King

81 mins

Perhaps it shouldn’t be all too surprising that the former fringe 5-star recruit from Ohio State, one of the top-producing offenses for elite receivers in recent years, has been one of the most talked-up newcomers at Auburn this offseason.

There was no doubt about the talent level of Caleb Burton III when Auburn brought him in as one of four transfers at wide receiver, but a seemingly smooth transition for the redshirt freshman thus far in the Tigers’ preseason practices has added to the excitement for what Burton could possibly add to various aspects of Auburn’s passing game in 2023.

Both Hugh Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery have complimented transfer quarterback Payton Thorne early in camp as a player they have to run out of the building — someone who has already demonstrated a tireless work ethic and desire to improve with his new teammates in only a few short months on campus.

Burton has been that same sort of player for Auburn this summer and into the first week of preseason practices. His name circulated throughout summer workouts as a player to watch, and through five practices, Burton has rotated plenty with the first-team offense as a result.

“I think for him, it's just the understanding of the game, the understanding of how to be a professional about it,” Montgomery said of Burton. “I mean, he's one of the hardest-working dudes. This summer, he's getting his lifts and he's getting all the extra parts of it. … Every day you've got to say alright, it's time to leave the building. Go get you some rest. Go get you something to eat. He's that type of worker, and he's very professional about the way he handles his business. I think, more than anything, his discipline in that sense is the thing that is progressing him up.”

Rated as the No. 71 overall recruit by 247Sports in last year’s class, Burton signed with and joined a loaded receivers room. Ohio State returns what’s regarded by many as the top receiving corps in college football, with Marvin Harrison Jr., Emeka Egbuka and Julian Fleming all back — and that’s after the Buckeyes had the first receiver taken in the 2023 NFL draft in Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

As a result, Burton didn’t appear in a game as a freshman last season during Ohio State’s run to the College Football Playoff — so when Freeze and the Tigers recruited him out of the portal in early May, “we base that off of his high-school tape, and we're basically getting a freshman,” Freeze said this offseason.

That tape for the No. 10 receiver recruit in the country was, obviously, stellar. From powerhouse Lake Travis High School in Texas, Burton is the son of a longtime, defensive-minded high school coach, Charles Burton, in the Lone Star State. Burton’s route-running and propensity to find himself open within the defense have been his calling cards early in Auburn camp, and Montgomery credited some of that natural understanding of the position — and how to create space in a defense — to his father’s teachings.

“I would say his route-running is very unique,” senior wideout Malcolm Johnson Jr. said. “I’ve stolen a few of Caleb’s moves, just trying to add that to my arsenal.”

According to senior cornerback D.J. James, Burton has been working mostly at slot receiver, but Johnson said he can play inside and out within the passing game. That tracks with Burton’s size at 5-foot-11 and his shiftiness to play slot receiver, though he was also praised in high school — while garnering some of the best national evaluations from recruiting analysts — for his ability to high-point passes down field and play bigger than his frame would suggest on the outside.

“I think he does have the ability to play inside-out,” Montgomery said. “He’s really fluid, natural route-runner. He’s coming from a coaching family; his dad has been a defensive coordinator in Texas for a lot of years. He’s grown up around the game, so he understands spacing and he knows where to find holes and get into them. He’s got really smooth, natural hands. For him, it’s just picking up the offense. He’s been in the film room all summer long.”

Burton’s name could be one to listen for when Auburn heads over to Pat Dye Field for its first preseason scrimmage on Saturday morning. The Tigers will report to the stadium at approximately 9 a.m. CST on Saturday, and Freeze will summarize the day’s action with reporters following the scrimmage at 11:30 a.m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I'm not close follower of recruiting as I think the projections of individual high school players is really difficult in football. However, when you look at a roster as a whole, CHF has plenty of tools to work with. Auburn is one of 16 schools that meet the "blue chip ratio" of tallent.  Basically it means you have more 4 and 5 stars than you do 3 and 2 stars. Auburn barely makes that mark right now, but still it is only one of sixteen teams that does:

"The list this year consists of, in order, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Texas A&M, Clemson, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Notre, Dame, Florida, Miami, Penn State, Michigan, USC and Auburn."

As you can see we are ahead of much of the SEC, 4th in the West. I don't think this is a championship contending roster, but it isn't completely crazy to hold a view that this team could win 9 games.

https://247sports.com/article/blue-chip-ratio-2023-college-football-16-teams-who-can-actually-win-a-national-title-211217111/#:~:text=The SEC leads the way,has zero%2C and nobody close. 

This also says we are less talented than last years team that only won 5 games

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Or maybe McCleod is the real deal… 

This is the first year that I actually believe that in about 7 years or so.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

This also says we are less talented than last years team that only won 5 games

That’s probably true but talent is better at QB (my assessment), OL, WR, maybe LB too. Some of the others are pushes plus gotta feel team spirit is worth something and also coaching.

16 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

That’s probably true but talent is better at QB (my assessment), OL, WR, maybe LB too. Some of the others are pushes plus gotta feel team spirit is worth something and also coaching.

I don't disagree, just the argument being made above wasn't that great 

I'd like to see what the state schools and Slaw are at. Probably high 40s I'd guess

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If we are being honest, just the sausage should be enough. Once he has it once, he will be like a fiend. 

Wait, what? 😳😂

• Haha 1

WTH is all this talk of "auto losses" crap?  The Yugo & Trabant are the only auto losses I can think of.  LSU was lucky to win last year and AU is defending a 1-game winning streak at TIger Stadium.  UGA & uat have to play at JHS this season, and anything can happen as they very well know.  This team is not led by either Hard-headed Harsin or Mediocre Malzahn.  It's a new day on the Plains.  So there.  Concede NOTHING!   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

This is the first year that I actually believe that in about 7 years or so.   

You've been following Jalen since middle school, eh? 

On 8/8/2023 at 5:37 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

The receiver room looks like it might be a strength. So far out of fall camp, we know this..

QB’s - Improved

RB’s - At least 2 are ready for big seasons

WR - Deep rotation of guys that are doing really well. 

OL- Best Unit since 2017

TE - Rivaldo > JSS , rest of the room are super seniors

DL - Looks to be improved over last year

LB - Way more depth.

Edge - At least a wash, but I think it may be improved as far as consistent pass rush goes

Secondary - STACKED!

special Teams - Stacked!!

Can someone explain to me how this isn’t an 8-9 win team that can play with anyone in the SEC West? Am I missing something? The only downside I see is the team chemistry may be off for a bit.

I feel like this is the hardest season to predict in the history of AU football, just because the roster has never been flipped like this before. 

The optimists will say 8 or 9 wins. The pessimists will say 6 or 7. Which aren't that far apart. 

I'm thinking 7 wins. The front 7 worries me. Some people are forgetting we lost Derrick Hall, Colby Wooden, and Owen Pappoe (I know) from an already bad defense. 

Tank was our best player and he's gone. 

Before last season, this board was convinced the WR's would be great. 

QB and OL will definitely be improved. The question is how much? That will make the biggest difference. 

• Thanks 1