What Kind of Snake is This?

Mike4AU

A lady friend of my wife found this snake in her laundry room. It slithered off, but she put out some sticky traps and caught it. She has no idea how it got in her house. Any help would be appreciated. 

image.thumb.png.1e56b86c809ab8d8487715a745f49e06.png

3 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

A lady friend of my wife found this snake in her laundry room. It slithered off, but she put out some sticky traps and caught it. She has no idea how it got in her house. Any help would be appreciated. 

I have those snakes in my yard.  Harmless to humans and beneficial to have in the yard.  I hope she carefully takes him out of the sticky trap.  That is a painful place to be and a bad way to die.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I have those snakes in my yard.  Harmless to humans and beneficial to have in the yard.  I hope she carefully takes him out of the sticky trap.  That is a painful place to be and a bad way to die.

Thanks. What kind of snake is it?  

33 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Thanks, counselor. 

Mike, let me give a legal disclaimer in case the snake bites the lady friend and kills her -- "No representation is made that the snake advice given herein is greater than the snake advice given by an actual snake expert.  When in doubt, simply shoot the thing with a shotgun at close range using 7, 7.5 or 8 shot.   A .410 will do the job but a 12 gauge would be better.  Be careful not to point the gun at anything you do not want to injure or kill." 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Mike, let me give a legal disclaimer in case the snake bites the lady friend and kills her -- "No representation is made that the snake advice given herein is greater than the snake advice given by an actual snake expert.  When in doubt, simply shoot the thing with a shotgun at close range using 7, 7.5 or 8 shot.   A .410 will do the job but a 12 gauge would be better.  Be careful not to point the gun at anything you do not want to injure or kill." 

Well, just send me the dec page of your malpractice insurance and we’ll be good to go…

J/K😄😊👍

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

Well, just send me the dec page of your malpractice insurance and we’ll be good to go…

J/K😄😊👍

That's funny.   I don't care what anybody says.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Thanks, counselor. 

Counselors assessment “gray rat snake” confirmed. Better than a convential rat trap and most cats to have around the house. Prefer them stay outside though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/14/2023 at 10:28 AM, Mike4AU said:

Can free the snake with vegetable oil if you’re inclined—otherwise smack it with a shovel and put it out of its misery. Not necessarily a bad snake to have outside the home. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Can free the snake with vegetable oil if you’re inclined—otherwise smack it with a shovel and put it out of its misery. Not necessarily a bad snake to have outside the home. 

Umm ... no.  Might want to consider why the juvenile gray rat snake was inside the house.  If it was chasing it's favorite prey then there just might be another problem.  Consult a professional pest control type person.  

40 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Umm ... no.  Might want to consider why the juvenile gray rat snake was inside the house.  If it was chasing it's favorite prey then there just might be another problem.  Consult a professional pest control type person.  

"Umm...no" what? Curious why you're being contrarian.

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

Umm ... no.  Might want to consider why the juvenile gray rat snake was inside the house.  If it was chasing its favorite prey then there just might be another problem.  Consult a professional pest control type person.  

Why. My exact thoughts. 

3 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

You suggested killing the snake.  If it's released outside the house then it could fulfill its natural role there on the rat population.  

50 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

You suggested killing the snake.  If it's released outside the house then it could fulfill its natural role there on the rat population.  

Wrong. I suggested freeing it (I literally told them how to), and if they couldn't--they should kill it humanely--which would be instantly with a blow to its head. And I even went on to say that it's a "good" snake to have around outside the home. How did you misinterpret what I said so badly? 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On 8/14/2023 at 10:28 AM, Mike4AU said:

Mike, we need an update and preferably a pic of "Grey" with a mouse in his mouth, please.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Mike, we need an update and preferably a pic of "Grey" with a mouse in his mouth, please.

The lady friend killed it. 

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

She will have rats in the laundry now. I would rather have the snake.

In that case she will kill the rats.  She has to do what she has to do.