* Official Auburn vs. UMass Game Thread *

abw0004

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard not to get over hyped when you beat a team by 41 points as there was a lot of really good things I saw but the reality is we are still a work in progress.

UMass defence is based on multiple fronts and different people coming so O-Line has to really be on their toes. It is a defence that like to create confusion for the O-Line. The O-line passed this test with flying colours both in pass protection and in opening running lanes. Every RB we put in had a great game both because of the blocking and all seemed to have good vision to adjust to the openings. I didn't see any slants to TE's or WR's also limited use of backs in passing game. The passing offence was very vanilla and there were times where QB and WR were not on the same page.  I am assuming as needed we will see more use of TE's and RB in passing attacks. When RB game is working the slant is an ideal weapon because LB's and safeties move up to stop the run making a slant an ideal weapon. As for QB WR not meshing need to hope more reps work on that.

Defence is the real area of some concern. Before QB with the long name got hurt our D was being gashed even after he got hurt their run game still took advantage of our LB's. Multiple times our LB's were on a good position to meet blocker head on then slide to side where RB cut but instead took a side leaving RB a lane on other side. McLeod did not play as was recovering from an ankle injury.   If not 100% next week it is better he sits out again as we need what he has shown in camp prior to ankle injury. Falk looked good and D-Line wasn't bad but can get better. DB's were really good except for one long pass play and I am assuming that was with backups on the field.

I expect that we will open up the play book a little more against Cal but still be pretty vanilla.  I have to admit I am concerned about LB play. To be honest I was hoping to see Woodyard as I think he has the potential to be a top notch LB.  He may have seen some PT late but if so I missed him. 

Bird I know Defence is your gig especially DB's but can you espouse on what you saw from our LB's? I would love to hear from somebody who knows more about the game then I do.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

Lol this is awesome I was wondering if he danced with him. Camera didn’t catch it well during the game

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Lol this is awesome I was wondering if he danced with him. Camera didn’t catch it well during the game

Oh lawd. I love this and know it was all innocent fun...but that particular move is a little 😳😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

Oh lawd. I love this and know it was all innocent fun...but that particular move is a little 😳😬

Well, one was a little more suggestive than the other. It’s pretty hilarious though. 

• Haha 1