*Official Auburn vs. Samford Game Thread*

abw0004

First half everything seemed forced. Most of the second half seemed easy and the game flowed easily. It is what it is. We need to win 3 more games to be bowl eligible and I’ll will be satisfied with that this year as long as we see improvement during the season. War Eagle

Weird game.  Peyton’s runs looked great and Robby’s throws were beautiful.  They both showed the opposite of what was expected from them.  I guess that was a good thing.  

I think the whole team was sluggish after that California game.  Good thing TAM will be an earlier game.  

• Like 1

This was just a terribly called game is if the staff heard people say they wanted to see more passing. It seemed stuff was just thrown up against the wall to see what will stuff. Bizarre is definitely the way to explain this game. Still the identity of this team is up in the air. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bishoptf said:

Agree...I keep hoping to see more pregress but so far just more of the same...I keep hoping that something changes and things start to look better but some of the first half play calling near the goal line was atrocious. Hoping that the SEC games are competitive and we can see some progress, at least he is recruiting better than the potato bunch so at least that is a positive, I was just hoping the in game coaching was going to be better...I know its still early...

We could have ran it in any time on the goal line if we wanted to. But that’s not translatable to sec play. The mission this game was clearly to work on the passing game. And that includes the RZ passing game because you aren’t going to be able to always just bully sec  teams in to the end zone by running it like you can umass and Samford. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e808 said:

This was just a terribly called game is if the staff heard people say they wanted to see more passing. It seemed stuff was just thrown up against the wall to see what will stuff. Bizarre is definitely the way to explain this game. Still the identity of this team is up in the air. 

That’s because it’s what needed to be done. We could do what we did Vs umass and look amazing which is the route Gus always chose but what exactly does that do? Nothing. Tune up games like this should be used to work on our weaknesses and that’s the passing game. Second half we went more vanilla which is what always works against teams that are completely outmatched. 

• Thanks 2

Thorne had a very good game passing the ball besides the one horrible read by not throwing the crosser to shorter and forcing that throw in to triple coverage in the end zone. He looked very crisp and accurate out there.

IMG_5370.png

Not sure Thorne will be able to gash defenses in the SEC on the ground like that, but he surprised me a bit with his speed. That could be a huge asset for us going forward.

Fairweather is a beast and should get 10 targets a game at least lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

That’s because it’s what needed to be done. We could do what we did Vs umass and look amazing which is the route Gus always chose but what exactly does that do? Nothing. Tune up games like this should be used to work on our weaknesses and that’s the passing game. Second half we went more vanilla which is what always works against teams that are completely outmatched. 

I will disagree on this because to me it looked like a bunch of chaos. If u on the one and can’t punch it then u have serious problem . U get a hat on a hat and block someone. I understand u want to work on stuff but what is the team’s identity. The majority of the stuff tried in this game won’t even be used in the TAMU game. I don’t see PT running anything even close to what he did today.  Let’s see what happens next week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I will disagree on this because to me it looked like a bunch of chaos. If u on the one and can’t punch it then u have serious problem . U get a hat on a hat and block someone. I understand u want to work on stuff but what is the team’s identity. The majority of the stuff tried in this game won’t even be used in the TAMU game. I don’t see PT running anything even close to what he did today.  Let’s see what happens next week

The running of QB1 was mainly the second half. We obviously could of easily punched it in at the 1 but we chose to work on our RZ passing something that we desperately need to get better at as we head in to SEC play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e808 said:

I also think if we're going to do fade routes in the EZ, it should be to a mismatched receiver, e.g. Fairweather. The first attempt was to Fair. He's only 5'10". I can't remember who the second one was to? (I thought it was Hooks, and he's a good target for something like that) I still think we should have just punched it in. Anything else from the 1 yard line is getting too fancy. Gus used to do that crap as soon as he go in the RZ and it drove most of us crazy.

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, KTATLEagles said:

Big Bird, why are we not calling plays with 2 RB in the backfield? I believe it would open the running game. 

There were several plays with DA and Cobb in the backfield. Cobb was the motion man.

The fade TD against Cal may come back to haunt us......note to coaching staff - if the fade to the corner was not working vs Samford it's time to remove it from the playbook.

• Facepalm 2