Thorne the athlete and our wideouts

LPTiger

On the run where he was called down at the half yard line, I was surprised by his burst.  He hit another gear.   He was also allusive last night, both in the pocket and while running.   He probably created 5 or 6 missed tackles.  But the thing I liked the most was his deep ball.   The throw to Fair up the west sideline was perfectly in stride.  The throw to Hooks in the north east corner of the end zone was also perfect.  The throw to Fairweather down the east sideline may have been underthrown a little, but it gave Fairweather a chance to make a play, and he did.  The ball over the middle to Omari was another well thrown ball.   I can't recall the last time we had this number of deep balls that were caught.  

Also kudos to our wideouts.   Did we have a drop last night?   I can't recall one rn.  Fairweather is next level good.   His catch radius is outstanding, his hands are very good and he runs well for his size .  It was nice to see us spread the ball around a little. It also looks like Thorne throws a very catchable ball.

We certainly gave Jimbo some things to prepare for.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I liked the game plan last night and the things we worked on. 
If you look at the big picture rebuild view Auburn fans should be happy after last night. 

Agree from a passing perspective. The ineffectiveness of our running backs was baffling.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

On the run where he was called down at the half yard line, I was surprised by his burst.  He hit another gear.   He was also allusive last night, both in the pocket and while running.   He probably created 5 or 6 missed tackles.  But the thing I liked the most was his deep ball.   The throw to Fair up the west sideline was perfectly in stride.  The throw to Hooks in the north east corner of the end zone was also perfect.  The throw to Fairweather down the east sideline may have been underthrown a little, but it gave Fairweather a chance to make a play, and he did.  The ball over the middle to Omari was another well thrown ball.   I can't recall the last time we had this number of deep balls that were caught.  

Also kudos to our wideouts.   Did we have a drop last night?   I can't recall one rn.  Fairweather is next level good.   His catch radius is outstanding, his hands are very good and he runs well for his size .  It was nice to see us spread the ball around a little. It also looks like Thorne throws a very catchable ball.

Agree. I also appreciated the interactions between PT and his teammates. Very positive all night.  Including PT and Robby. Looks like a QB winning over his teammates and a coach getting more confident in him. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Agree from a passing perspective. The ineffectiveness of our running backs was baffling.

Lacking a little bit of this nasty along the OL?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

wow! that is faster than i run to the bathroom in an emergency.......

we need to start out strong against aTm.jimbo is fighting for his job and the rumor is they already have the buyout money. we seem to do this well one game and something different during another game. if we play a complete game we have a chance against anyone in my humble opinion. i am glad receivers are stepping up. and i think if i understood coach right we kinda made the "O" more friendly for thorne? we had two o linemen go down and i think it hurt our running game. and we have so many injured folks right now and this is where i think we will get hurt because we do not have the quality depth other teams have so it hurts us worse than it does others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

About Thorne's running-we were playing Samford, and he is not a strong looking QB when it comes to taking hits. College QBs these days are decent runners, and Thorne is a decent runner.

41 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

We lost some great players over the past couple of years - really hated to see Pegues go.  Tar'Varish Dawson is showing out at Colorado...while Auburn barely used him.  So frustrating to see great players leave but I can't blame them for prioritizing their careers.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

It seemed we were just trying to work on passing concepts last night. Also, I feel like teams are going to try to stop the run and force Thorne to beat them. Glad to see we tried to get him ready for this challenge and he showed he's capable of it. Albeit against lesser competition.

Thorne was making guys miss that couldn't walk on at our next 6-7 opponents. I think we  can be effective at times, but he's not doing what he did last night to SEC LBs.

Thorne has a pretty nice deep ball.  Take shots 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Thorne was making guys miss that couldn't walk on at our next 6-7 opponents. I think we  can be effective at times, but he's not doing what he did last night to SEC LBs.

Thorne has a pretty nice deep ball.  Take shots 

You might be right but he was taking what the defense was giving and being productive with it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

It shows that if a team determines to stop the run at the expense of opening up the passing, they can do it. The very reason we must be able to pass.

Thorne is fast, and refreshingly elusive at times - when given the chance to get into a groove and show it.

For my interest, the best thing about last night was seeing Ashford on the bench the entire first half.  I think this is the beginning of Freeze "weaning out his playing time".  Once we get to playing SEC teams, we won't see much of Ashford.  I wish we had seen Geriner instead of Ashford in the 2nd half last night.

I'm just not an Ashford fan.

Edited by WillMunny

Most disappointing play from yesterday.

PT was feeling it and trusted that Shane Hooks could make the play

Ball was perfectly placed for a highlight TD

Hooks is surprised, hits him right in the hands, pops up for an INT

Screenshot_20230917_145158_SamsungInternet.jpg.bf00802c25e4e8dc77aeb4b3b4192bae.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Thorne is fast, and refreshingly elusive at times - when given the chance to get into a groove and show it.

For my interest, the best thing about last night was seeing Ashford on the bench the entire first half.  I think this is the beginning of Freeze "weaning out his playing time".  Once we get to playing SEC teams, we won't see much of Ashford.  I wish we had seen Geriner instead of Ashford in the 2nd half last night.

I'm just not an Ashford fan.

Respectfully not sure about putting Thorne in the fast category. He is serviceable. Pretty sure he won’t be churning out big runs like that in the SEC. Let’s see what happens moving forward. One thing for sure he has to learn to slide

6 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Also kudos to our wideouts.   Did we have a drop last night?   I can't recall one rn.

Depends on how catchable the pass was. The fade to Hooks the first drive was on point and he got one hand on it. The DB made a good play.

Also the 3rd down pass to Hooks was on point and he got both hands on it. Def a drop.

PT was our first QB since 2014 to throw for over 200 and run for over 100.   I'm surprised Bo never did it.  Every practice rep matters right now.   Every day this staff spends with these players matters right now.  Our D has been surprisingly good.    The offense is growing.    We are arguably playing better than our cross the state rival right now.    Hard to imagine we could even make that argument 9 months ago. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Stop me if you've heard this in prior years/decades but THIS QB/WR group have phenomenal potential - IMHO.

image.gif