The Harsin Effect

ScotsAU

First, it is empirically incorrect to say it wouldn’t have happened before Harsin - there’s not a soul that expected a win for reasonable reasons against Georgia in any game thread after 2017, sans 2019. It was just wishes, as best

Second, A&M looked a very improved offense against a seemingly very improved Miami. The defense got ripped apart but Miami’s offense isn’t Auburn’s. Our last time out against a real opponent was the newest worst showings after a decade of some of the newer “worse showings”. That same opponent gave up more to Idaho the next week

I don’t even see how it’s negative to expect we lose to an A&M team that is literally starved for wins, has been together longer, and is at home. Even the spread has them at 7.5 from what I see. It’s just a reasonable conclusion based on what we’ve seen to this point 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

On the score prediction thread, folks are very negative, assuming we’re going to roll over against A&M.

The psychologist in me wants to discuss.

We just discussed it in the prediction thread. A&M has more talent. They're at home.

Their offense has drastically improved...have nearly doubled their scoring/game vs last season. 21.25 PPG more.

We're averaging 2.3 turnovers/game. They're averaging 1.0 turnovers/game.

We're 11/14 in red zone scores/attempts. They're 18/19 in red zone scores/attempts.

The psychologist in me wants to know why so many are predicting AU upsets besides orange/blue glasses. How many would place half their next paycheck on AU beating A&M?

• Like 2

Start the healing and stop making threads about Harsin! 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll take a try at this from a recent point of view and 50 year point of view.   In my opinion, this didn’t start with Harsin.   Auburn has always seemed to shoot itself in the foot every time it appeared as if they were building something great.  

Auburn is known for having a great year every 10 years or so and good years sprinkled in with bad years during that  10 year period .     I don’t know why that is but it’s just how Auburn operates.   

As far as this games prediction and the game day thread…If Auburn can hold onto the ball and not give aTm turnovers, they will have a chance to win Saturday but so far there is no indication that they can’t play without turning the ball over.   So for me, I don’t see a win.    The game day threads are horrendous and frankly can’t stand to read them.   I think most are trolls and not the everyday fan that interact on this forum.   

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’ll take a try at this from a recent point of view and 50 year point of view.   In my opinion, this didn’t start with Harsin.   Auburn has always seemed to shoot itself in the foot every time it appeared as if they were building something great.  

Auburn is known for having a great year every 10 years or so and good years sprinkled in with bad years during that  10 year period .     I don’t know why that is but it’s just how Auburn operates.   

As far as this games prediction and the game day thread…If Auburn can hold onto the ball and not give aTm turnovers, they will have a chance to win Saturday but so far there is no indication that they can’t play without turning the ball over.   So for me, I don’t see a win.    The game day threads are horrendous and frankly can’t stand to read them.   I think most are trolls and not the everyday fan that interact on this forum.   

So when was the last great year so we know when to tune in?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Having unrealistic expectations is dangerous for the staff and recruiting. If the next 3 games goes as Vegas will predict, and we lose our minds, that’s not going to be in au’s best interests.

This is why it was imperative that the staff get their top recruits' verbals prior to putting this Bad News Bears roster on the same field together.

And that's not a knock on the staff. They patched together a roster as best they could with what they had to work with. Thank God for the portal.

• Like 2

As to the OP, our "fan base" is huge, several hundred thousand at least. I would not speculate about the viewpoint od several hundred thousand fans.

As to the folks here on AUF and a couple of other discussion boards, yep, there is not a lot of optimism regarding the A&M game. There is HOPE. But not conviction.

I think everyone KNOWS that this is a rebuilding year. CHF and his assistant coaches have worked their butts off to recruit the best players they can wrangle, and coach them up. But as others have pointed out, there is a big discrepancy in talent. Auburn has some really, really good players. Auburn is not stocked 3 deep with NFL prospects.

As to A&M, we are about to find out if coaching up a big bunch of good players can win against a poorly coached bunch of elite players. The rule of thumb is that talent wins. But in this case, can coaching win?

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

So when was the last great year so we know when to tune in?

2013….’bout that time!!!

I definitely think Auburn can win this game.  The defense has been very good and that usually gives a team advantage on the road.  The offense is a work in progress but they came on in the 2nd half last week when the QB started running. They will need more of that on Saturday.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Now, the competition of fundraising, recruiting, facilities, promotion, image, all seem as much or, more important.  Maybe it always that way and, my age has changed my perception?  Maybe the financialization of college football, amateur athletics in general, is not a good?  I know I do not like what we have done to youth athletics.  Growing up, we played for fun.  Now, I'm not sure what it is all about.  

NIL and portal finally leveled the playing field i.e. T-Town Tom, Dodge Chargers, placing out-of-town parents in nice homes, etc, etc, etc are no longer effective for just ONE program.

Now everyone can do it AND get away with it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, toddc said:

Start the healing and stop making threads about Harsin! 😝 

Especially when Gus did more long term damage.  😁

• Like 5

I have forgiven Gus Harsin and Brian Malzahn for the emotional, financial, and recruiting damage they caused.

It is time to move on down the Frozen road. We can revisit the gnashing of teeth, if a prolonged thaw happens.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I don't believe there is a lack of enthusiasm.  I think we are watching college football change quickly and dramatically and, it is difficult to fully understand the ultimate outcome.

It is very interesting though.  At one time, my interest was strictly the competition on the field.  Now, the competition of fundraising, recruiting, facilities, promotion, image, all seem as much or, more important.  Maybe it always that way and, my age has changed my perception?  Maybe the financialization of college football, amateur athletics in general, is not a good?  I know I do not like what we have done to youth athletics.  Growing up, we played for fun.  Now, I'm not sure what it is all about.   

Gold cup x 5.

• Thanks 1

I like our chances. We beat them last year without much coaching and we seem to be getting better. Better decisions from QB as game went on and so I expect to improve every game. Defense is playing well and I love that for once in a long time that the Dbs are getting interceptions. Finally have a dominant edge rusher that we’ve been missing for some time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

That was a good year, maybe not great but a good one.

That was the year that AU played three of the four teams that were in the playoffs and came out with a 2-2 record against them. In the space of three Saturdays AU beat two teams ranked #1, including the eventual national champion. If the competition is considered, it was past good. Maybe not reaching great, but it was a remarkable season when the opposition is considered.

Compared to the Hard for Harsin years, 2017 was a shining star.

Just now, Mikey said:

That was the year that AU played three of the four teams that were in the playoffs and came out with a 2-2 record against them. In the space of three Saturdays AU beat two teams ranked #1, including the eventual national champion. If the competition is considered, it was past good. Maybe not reaching great, but it was a remarkable season when the opposition is considered.

Agreed, definitely would have been great if we had not lost our RB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

That’s also a pretty good year for Auburn in the entirety of the 2000s lol. They have 4 seasons better than 10 wins in the entire millennium, and very few of them were harder than 2017. 

I understand the perspective of Gus has soured on this board, but that year in particular was definitely a success 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s also a pretty good year for Auburn in the entirety of the 2000s lol. They have 4 seasons better than 10 wins in the entire millennium, and very few of them were harder than 2017. 

I understand the perspective of Gus has soured on this board, but that year in particular was definitely a success 

The GA and bammer wins certainly are all-timers, but that choke at LSU I still will never understand. No excuse losing that game up 20-0.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1