A look at our last 4 Classes. This is the issue:

W.E.D

On 10/2/2023 at 4:34 AM, TeamZero77 said:

Either that or he's found the key to the liquor cabinet and he's drunk posting. J/k

Remember that post on here awhile back where somebody said "There's people who are glass half full and there's people who are glass half empty. And then there's people like KillenTime who don't even own a damn glass." 😂

Less than 100 yds passing without any crossing routes, slants or drags is an empty solo cup.  Our passing game is horrible. It is so bad you can't even refer to it as a glass.  It's like Styrofoam - not even solo cup quality.  We have a QB that has passed for over 3K yards two seasons in a row and our passing game looks like a pee wee football team.  If they are bringing more than we can block you have to have a hot route and hit the vacated area.  Our opponent can bring LBers every play without any consequence.  We are trying to run 20 yard routes outside the hashes. Fades and back shoulder reads with less than average WRs.   Ridiculous effort out of the offensive coaches.  Hell we could run it last year with Will Friend and Carnell.  This offense is worse than a Will Friend offense.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 9/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, bigbird said:

Just wondering where all of our depth disappeared to. 

I think a lot of it went to ucf so they could play for Gus, the talking mule.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, KillenTime said:

Less than 100 yds passing without any crossing routes, slants or drags is an empty solo cup.  Our passing game is horrible. It is so bad you can't even refer to it as a glass.  It's like Styrofoam - not even solo cup quality.  We have a QB that has passed for over 3K yards two seasons in a row and our passing game looks like a pee wee football team.  If they are bringing more than we can block you have to have a hot route and hit the vacated area.  Our opponent can bring LBers every play without any consequence.  We are trying to run 20 yard routes outside the hashes. Fades and back shoulder reads with less than average WRs.   Ridiculous effort out of the offensive coaches.  Hell we could run it last year with Will Friend and Carnell.  This offense is worse than a Will Friend offense.  

100% agreed. Hard to believe the passing game regressed post-Gus. Didn't think that was possible.

No Treadwell's, Metcalf's, AJ Brown's or Engram's to throw to.

Worst passing game I've seen since 2012.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

Bump. Hope some of the guys we get this coming year will legit help things.

Thank you. People just don’t realize how terrible the program is and how long it will take to build it back up. We have less talent than just about anybody in the SEC. Heck- An entire class is gone. 

These coaches and these players are doing the best that they can with transfers and no depth. It is a bad situation that was not caused by Freeze. I have probably said this 100 times, but it took years to get into this mess and it will take years to get out of it. Why can’t people see this? 
Freeze has been successful everywhere he has been. We must give him time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Once again, bears repeating.

There's no way this offensive roster is as bad as they look. That's coaching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yeah I can’t accept that this is simply a talent issue. It’s beyond that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

Either way I find it difficult, with the Offense this bad (at home), that we make six wins. :dunno:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah I can’t accept that this is simply a talent issue. It’s beyond that. 

In both the LSU and Ole Miss games, Jesse Palmer harangued about how Thorne doesn't have confidence in his receivers.

Having replaced Ike Hilliard with Marcus Davis was a very bad decision.  When I posted that comment several months ago I was scorched by the MD supporters. 

IH was an All-American at UF, a 1,000 yd receiver, 3x SEC Championship team and numerous SEC records as a receiver.  He then played and coached in the NFL over a decade each before coming to AU.  

MD was a GA at FSU, then coached one season at Hawaii, then one season at Jawja Southern.  

Compare the two resumes.  Resumes do matter, but apparently not to AU fans on this forum.  Not retaining Hilliard was a big mistake by HF.  The chickens have come home to roost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

Either way I find it difficult, with the Offense this bad (at home), that we make six wins. :dunno:

After the California game my speculation has been 6-6.  Let's hope for a miracle.  I think Arky demonstrated that they are a bigger problem to overcome with their performance against the UpDykes, plus, we play on their turf.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

In both the LSU and Ole Miss games, Jesse Palmer harangued about how Thorne doesn't have confidence in his receivers.

Having replaced Ike Hilliard with Marcus Davis was a very bad decision.  When I posted that comment several months ago I was scorched by the MD supporters. 

IH was an All-American at UF, a 1,000 yd receiver, 3x SEC Championship team and numerous SEC records as a receiver.  He then played and coached in the NFL over a decade each before coming to AU.  

MD was a GA at FSU, then coached one season at Hawaii, then one season at Jawja Southern.  

Compare the two resumes.  Resumes do matter, but apparently not to AU fans on this forum.  Not retaining Hilliard was a big mistake by HF.  The chickens have come home to roost.

Ike isn't magically gonna change these players

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Ike isn't magically gonna change these players

Teaching good fundamentals would.  That is the glaring error this season and who is coaching them now ?

Edited by Elephant Tipper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Teaching good fundamentals would.  That is the glaring error this season and who is coaching them now ?

Our WRs were awful last year too.

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Certainly a theory 

2 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

How will they get better if u don’t attempt to throw. Both picks came trying to throw a 50/50 ball when the receiver is double covered. Same thing happened in the previous game which is a very low percentage play. On top of that those throws aren’t to the bigger receivers

2 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

You may be correct but what good is being correct. It’s about moving from where we are, not where we were. MD is the coach and who we have. Must find best way forward. But kudos to you that you were right (In your opinion anyway).

Edited by Hank2020

52 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You may be correct but what good is being correct. It’s about moving from where we are, not where we were. MD is the coach and who we have. Must find best way forward. But kudos to you that you were right (In your opinion anyway).

I also said that hiring HF was a bad decision.  How's that hire working for you ?  We shouldn't be playing with such a dazed and confused look which is not a player issue, that's a coaching one which starts at the top.

College football is in another league now.  The idea of waiting 3 seasons, ala Barfield, and let's see if the hiring decision was a competent one is over.  There is more at stake than just team pride as before ESPN and the NCAA began injecting huge sums of cash.  Big money has taken the reins.  Apparently though, a lot of fans on this site are okay with the 3-year plan and being the chump of the SEC in the meantime.

Pat Dye turned it around his second season, Bowden turned the program around his first season, Chizik his first season with a NC his second, Malzahn his first season with us playing for the NC.  The playbook for turning around a program for the whole nation was written by AU coaches.  Apparently HF didn't receive a copy.  His program looks scatter-brained which won't turn around unless there are significant changes.  Btw, fans were booing last night.  When did that last happen ?  Harsin, maybe ?  I've never heard of AU faithful booing the team's performance, but now I have.

Let me stop you before you say anything about Dye taking 2 seasons to turn the program around.  That was 42 years ago with a completely different mindset about the financial importance of college football.  Dye was a miracle worker then, but today his 1st season record of 5-6 would have immediately put him on the hot seat.

WDE !!!

2 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I also said that hiring HF was a bad decision.  How's that hire working for you ?  We shouldn't be playing with such a dazed and confused look which is not a player issue, that's a coaching one which starts at the top.

College football is in another league now.  The idea of waiting 3 seasons, ala Barfield, and let's see if the hiring decision was a competent one is over.  There is more at stake than just team pride as before ESPN and the NCAA began injecting huge sums of cash.  Big money has taken the reins.  Apparently though, a lot of fans on this site are okay with the 3-year plan and being the chump of the SEC in the meantime.

Pat Dye turned it around his second season, Bowden turned the program around his first season, Chizik his first season with a NC his second, Malzahn his first season with us playing for the NC.  The playbook for turning around a program for the whole nation was written by AU coaches.  Apparently HF didn't receive a copy.  His program looks scatter-brained which won't turn around unless there are significant changes.  Btw, fans were booing last night.  When did that last happen ?  Harsin, maybe ?  I've never heard of AU faithful booing the team's performance, but now I have.

Let me stop you before you say anything about Dye taking 2 seasons to turn the program around.  That was 42 years ago with a completely different mindset about the financial importance of college football.  Dye was a miracle worker then, but today his 1st season record of 5-6 would have immediately put him on the hot seat.

WDE !!!

The information you share is not consistent. I suspect if you really didn’t want Freeze the coach, that is the information backing most of your comments. Has college football changed or not (your comment (that I actually agree with)). If its changed why bring up past coache’s “ turn around time”. I don’t suppose all of Freeze’s decisions have been the right ones just like those coaches you mentioned didn’t always make correct decisions. If you don’t think a great deal of Dye/Bowden/Chizik’s success wasn’t tied to the players he had at the time vs the players he was playing your not being honest. In today's CFB world, have to give time to see if they can get recruits in and also get them coached up.