2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

40 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I doubt that there will be Sure fire QB to hit the portal.  We were all up in arms when Leary chose KY and not us. He ain't setting the woods on fire at KY this year. We have QB problems for sure. But our problems go way beyond just QB play. I miss the days when schools would recruit QB and develop them. For some reason we can't seem to do that. 

No doubt we have more problems than QB but we have to do better than bring in the 83rd best QB in college football from the portal. That's where Thorne was last year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No doubt we have more problems than QB but we have to do better than bring in the 83rd best QB in college football from the portal. That's where Thorne was last year.

Where was Leary?

Anybody heard anything about Kaidon Salter, current liberty qb? Jake Crain brought his name up as a possibility but prefaced it with he has no inside info. 

I've watched the starting qb at Kansas, Jalon Daniels and he looks pretty good but not sure we could convince him to come here. Good runner with passing ability.

Edited by AU80cruiser
  • Like 1

Are we sure we don't need help up front on the DL before another QB? I know that probably doesn't make sense at the moment but it is possible PT improves this year and in the spring.

We will need dudes up front next year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, woodford said:

Are we sure we don't need help up front on the DL before another QB? I know that probably doesn't make sense at the moment but it is possible PT improves this year and in the spring.

We will need dudes up front next year.

IMO, we need it all across the board

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

IMO, we need it all across the board

We’re going to need another large haul from the portal.  Probably not 40 players, but at least half that.  Rolling with Thorne again is a huge gamble I don’t think Hugh can take.

• Like 1

On the OL and defense, we better convince every major contributor listed as a junior (therefore not including Simpson) to stay.

Edited by AUwent

8 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Where was Leary?

85th. He was dealing with injuries and only played 6 games. I his last full season in 2021 he was 20th.

8 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Anybody heard anything about Kaidon Salter, current liberty qb? Jake Crain brought his name up as a possibility but prefaced it with he has no inside info. 

I would take a hard look at him though. He's in the top 20 in various QB rating metrics, top 10 in some.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DAG said:

We should definitely call Grayson. I don’t give a damn how these QBs feel. 

He should graduate and have a COVID year. 😉

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

I hope we do better than Grayson. He's 61st in the nation in QB rating this year with a mediocre 8 TD to 6 INT TD/INT ratio.

He lost his OC and offense. 

8 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Anybody heard anything about Kaidon Salter, 

Yes. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

He should graduate and have a COVID year. 😉

He lost his OC and offense. 

Yes. 

Yes he literally is running a different offense, but certainly if we can find better go for it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes he literally is running a different offense, but certainly if we can find better go for it. 

@DAG yeah. After my post, I looked back further and saw he was top three in the nation in QB efficiency or rating in 2022 & #1 in 2021 so you can give me the dunce cap for that post.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@DAG yeah. After my post, I looked back further and saw he was top three in the nation in QB efficiency or rating in 2022 & #1 in 2021 so you can give me the dunce cap for that post.

Nah it’s all good. I’ve made a couple mishaps today. 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

I hope we do better than Grayson. He's 61st in the nation in QB rating this year with a mediocre 8 TD to 6 INT TD/INT ratio.

Maybe he has been studying too much or something but I watched him against UCLA and he was terrible. Really inaccurate and forced throws. 

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 Transfer Portal Thread
29 minutes ago, woodford said:

Smart guy. Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Florida State, Notre Dame, and Southern Cal will all need QB’s next year. 

@woodford We'll be in the Pratt sweepstakes too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@woodford We'll be in the Pratt sweepstakes too.

I’m sure we’ll court him but all those programs are much better suited to improve his draft stock in 2024 imo

Would definitely take him if PT doesn’t continue to improve. 

32 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’m sure we’ll court him but all those programs are much better suited to improve his draft stock in 2024 imo

@woodford So you think all of those teams have coaches better with QBs than we do or will? At the very least I would take Freeze & Austin before Bama's coaches. Also depending how this class & portal work out, WRs could go from a weakness to a strength for us.

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Florida State, Notre Dame, and Southern Cal will all need QB’s next year. 

Also not necesailly with Bama and FSU. They have 5* QBs coming in.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@woodford So you think all of those teams have coaches better with QBs than we do or will? At the very least I would take Freeze & Austin before Bama's coaches. Also depending how this class & portal work out, WRs could go from a weakness to a strength for us.

Not necessarily coaches, but I would bet those teams I listed all have better offensive line talent in 2024 than we do. Yeah, we could end up with multiple 5* WRs in the 24 class, but I'm still worried about the consistent OL play going forward. We'll see what they can scrape together in the portal.

• Like 1