Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

I just don't think anyone (who would take this job) can do it if Freeze can't.

I think that’s what concerns many. Hugh turned the offense over to PM. 
So Hugh needs to figure out what he want on offense and get it done. Whatever this Frankenstein monster of an offense is, it ain’t it!

• Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

I just don't think anyone (who would take this job) can do it if Freeze can't.

My only issue is that this has been a worse showing early on than Harsin or Gus. I know everybody is saying that HF is elsewhere building for next year but we are not building blocks for next year on the field. He is gonna have to sell recruits on a vision bc the on the field product is not it. I praised him in the off-season and still think he can be successful with how he builds programs but I am just numb by the ineptitude of what we are putting on the field 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Some of you really can’t see the talent deficit on the field? You don’t see the slow-footedness of our guys vs the opponents? Why do you think we beat the UMASS’s and the Samford’s as bad as we did, yet we look like UMASS and Samford vs SEC opponents? 

The coaching and planning hasn’t looked great, I’ll give you that, but you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken s***.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MaitlandTiger said:

You’re correct.  It’s working exactly the way it always works.  

I’m so sick of that crap!  Pick a QB and roll with him win or lose!  Otherwise, the clown show continues.  

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

My only issue is that this has been a worse showing early on than Harsin or Gus. I know everybody is saying that HF is elsewhere building for next year but we are not building blocks for next year on the field. He is gonna have to sell recruits on a vision bc the on the field product is not it. I praised him in the off-season and still think he can be successful with how he builds programs but I am just numb by the ineptitude of what we are putting on the field 

Harsin and Gus had vastly more talent.

• Like 6

I’m a moron. I just assumed we’d do something different tonight. Adjust. Commit to RA and the rpo or commit to PT and try to force the ball down field with play action. Even if it failed, try something different and commit to it. We already know the qb swap/chaos thing is a repeatedly, proven failure. It didn’t even occur to me we’d go Groundhog Day on steroids. 

Ill be shocked on what I just saw for days.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

You’re correct.  It’s working exactly the way it always works.  

See this guy gets it

• Like 1

I think Thorne should be QB going forward. Call quick hitter pass plays like slants and sit down routes and mix in a wheel route & deep route once in a while. It appears to me that our biggest problem is our WR corp just can't get separation & when the play caller calls a pass play that takes more than 3 seconds to run the route, then Thorne tends to hold the ball too long. You can't pinpoint our passing woes to one area.

Edited by ArgoEagle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure why some think we suddenly became a s***ty football program. We haven’t been relevant for many years. Auburn struggles running a football program, and it’s going to be a miracle if we pull out of this multi-year lull. 

Welcome to the 70’s, my good Auburn brethren…we’re back!

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

And HF has a portal OL that "was" supposed to be way better than ours a year ago. Brought in Thorne and Ashford and plays qb roulette as the worst possible moments. One of the top TE's in the portal plus having other seasoned guys at the position. I'm sorry but I think u can squeeze more out of this O than is being done now. Idk if it's bc HF is out recruiting so much or what it is. But whatever it is, is affecting the on the field product. I'm not saying he can't or won't be successful but I am in the discouraged and disappointed camp so far.

• Like 2

Remember, 'we didn't expect to win this one.' So ... it doesn't count as a loss, like ATM and uGA. So, there's that. So, nothing to see here. Tune back in sometime around 2025 or 2026.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I thought we had discussed in the off-season how we had made upgrades in talent through the portal on the offensive line, quarterback, and receivers and had gotten depth at running back? Or am I imagining that?

Edited by PigskinPat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I watched two games today. UT and AU win today with anyone at QB that can play the position. 

The players are only doing what they are asked to do. This game was on the coaches .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Some of you really can’t see the talent deficit on the field? You don’t see the slow-footedness of our guys vs the opponents? Why do you think we beat the UMASS’s and the Samford’s as bad as we did, yet we look like UMASS and Samford vs SEC opponents? 

The coaching and planning hasn’t looked great, I’ll give you that, but you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken s***.

Thank you. Talent is the issue.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I think Thorne should be QB going forward. Call quick hitter pass plays like slants and sit down routes and mix in a wheel route & deep route once in a while. It appears to me that our biggest problem is our WR corp just can't get separation & when the play caller calls a pass play that takes more than 3 seconds to run the route, then Thorne tends to hold the ball too long. You can't pinpoint our passing woes to one area.

Coaching is pathetic. We are beyond predictable because we can't block on obvious passing downs, yet we refuse to flare RB's out of the backfield, or release them on shallow crossing routes. God forbid we run an actual screen pass when the defense is selling out rushing the passer. We don't even attempt to throw the ball between the hashes. There's a reason every time we throw a deep ball that it's double, or triple covered, and it ain't the QB's fault. If Freeze is adamant he is going to turn the offense over to an OC, or play caller he better be shopping for him a new one quick.

One more season of this crap, and he'll be on vacation with Harsin. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, AUx said:

Remember, 'we didn't expect to win this one.' So ... it doesn't count as a loss, like ATM and uGA. So, there's that. So, nothing to see here. Tune back in sometime around 2025 or 2026.

That's not what everyone kept saying in my nest thread about the line being too close on this game...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

Don’t get whooshed guys 

I am just gonna eat my crow now. Gonna need a Deion or an Urban type to get out of this rut. The sad part is Gus wore his welcome out but has a winning record against Hugh. Is that good or bad

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I thought we had discussed in the off-season how we had made upgrades in talent through the portal on the offense line, quarterback, and receivers and had gotten depth at running back? Or am I imagining that?

We got a little better on OL, got Fairweather, and none of the other pieces have turned out.  The WRs give our QBs zero help either in fighting for 50/50 balls, getting separation consistently, or even just catching balls that hit them in the hands.  And neither QB consistently makes the correct reads.  Just lots of whiffs on that side of the ball that admittedly I didn't see coming.  Guys like Shorter, Mardner, Hooks and such ought to be better but they aren't.  Thorne should be better but he isn't.  Robby still can't hit water from the beach.  I don't know what to tell you but on paper, these transfer guys should be better than they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, TitanTiger said:

We got a little better on OL, got Fairweather, and none of the other pieces have turned out.  The WRs give our QBs zero help either in fighting for 50/50 balls, getting separation consistently, or even just catching balls that hit them in the hands.  And neither QB consistently makes the correct reads.  Just lots of whiffs on that side of the ball that admittedly I didn't see coming.  Guys like Shorter, Mardner, Hooks and such ought to be better but they aren't.  Thorne should be better but he isn't.  Robby still can't hit water from the beach.  I don't know what to tell you but on paper, these transfer guys should be better than they are.

I agree on this also, but on the flip side I think there have been several bad coaching calls that don't do the staff any favors 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Gus yes. Harsin no. The problem isn’t the talent. Who is Auburn on offense . Caddy had this team looking competent last years playing with effort. Seven games in and you can’t say what exactly Auburn is on O

• Like 1